• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Another Last Minute Cancellation!!

In summary, the consultant had a show scheduled for tonight with a host she had been communicating with for a month. She had mailed out invitations and was excited about the show. However, the host called the consultant at 10 p.m. the night of the show to cancel, stating that her family was in Florida and she only had three guests coming. This has happened to the consultant multiple times before and she wonders if she should include a policy in her hostess letters about cancellations. Other consultants offer their support and advice, including making reminder calls and charging a reschedule fee for last-minute cancellations.
pamperedcheermom
I "had" a show scheduled for tonight. The host and I have been talking and emailing for about a month about the show and the guests. I mailed out her invitations and she was so excited about the show. She said she had lots of people coming, blah blah blah. We talked on Thurs and I reminded her to call everyone on her guest list to remind them. She was calling them on Friday, Sat. She would see most of the people at Church on Sunday. She lives in another town that I'm not familiar with so I've made two trips down there trying to find the Church (we were having it at her Church). The first trip was unsuccessful because of bad directions off the internet. My husband and I went again yesterday and found it without a problem after she gave me better directions. She gave me the directions on Sat morning and knew I was coming down yesterday to find it. I also met my director to borrow her stock pot for the recipe.
Last night the host called me at 10:00 p.m. to cancel. She said her whole family is in Florida............OK DID THEY JUST LEAVE AT 9:00!!!!??? :mad: She said she only had 3 people coming and one said they weren't buying anything. She said she forgot her family would be out of town and they were the main ones coming. She has a large family apparently.
I mailed out the invitations, used a ton of gas to make two trips down to find the show location and then a trip to another town to meet my director to borrow her stock pot. I know I can expense the postage and gas but it's the principal.
Should I put something in my hostess letters that I require a 48 hour notice for cancellations. Should I include that if they cancel I would like to be reimbursed for postage. I doubt anyone would ever reimburse me but it's worth a try.
Just wondered what everyone on here does in a case like this. This is the third time a host has cancelled at the last minute. The first time was at 1:15 a.m. on Sat morning and the show was at 11:00 a.m. She lied about sending out the invitations (that's when I started sending them myself) and nobody was coming. The second time the host called me AS I WAS WALKING OUT THE DOOR. It was 5:00 and I was going to be at her house at 5:30. She called to tell me she had 2 people coming.
I know things come up but tonight's host knew her family was in Florida for the past week and never mentioned it. She did reschedule for Oct 14 but I refuse to send out anymore invitations. She'll have to call them herself about the date change.

Does anybody put anything in their hostess letters about cancellations???

I don't have any words of wisdom but I do think that stinks for ya. We all have those things happen every now and then. Friday I talk to my host and she was so excited 6- 10 people were coming. I showed up on Saturday and only her sister was there. I was disappointed but I let it go... you take some bad with the good! Chin up move on.... maybe next time you could offer to do the reminder phone calls or something.

I'm sorry you've had such a bummer of an experience. As Jenni said, it happens to everyone. I have done shows that were very small attendance (2-3) and they always seem to produce SOMETHING positive (everyone books a party, someone signs, etc.), so the next time you have a host that calls at the last minute to say "I only have 3 poeple coming", do it anyway.

As far as including something in your host letters, Carolyn shared her host letter with me (I'll attach it for you) that I like very much. I've also heard of consultants that will charge a reschedule fee for last-minute cancellations (I'd do a search on here for the details).

Breathe in, breathe out, move on.

Attachments

• LETTER FOR WHEN FIRST BOOKED.doc
    46.5 KB · Views: 472
Keep up with your sending out the invitations yourself.

You might also want to start making the reminder calls yourself to ensure the guests will be coming. Just let your host know it is something you can do so she/he won't have to. This might help with your numbers and hopefully stop the last minute canceling some.

Not all last minute canceling can be helped, but if you take the reigns so to speak you should be able to control it more. Keep plugging, and doing what you know. It will get better.

Someone is always saying Breath and Release (I hope I am saying this correctly). I think you might need to just Breath and Release.

I always tell the hostess I am coming and I don't care if it is just me and her making a recipe together! She might be my next recruit... or 1 of the 2 guests might book a show. you just never know! Plus she can get outside orders and boost the show... or book another show off of her show for when her family is in town.

PCJenni said:
I always tell the hostess I am coming and I don't care if it is just me and her making a recipe together! She might be my next recruit... or 1 of the 2 guests might book a show. you just never know! Plus she can get outside orders and boost the show... or book another show off of her show for when her family is in town.

That's a good point. I had a couple shows where the host said they had a lot of last minute cancellations. I told her we would still have a good time, and hey-more food for her family as leftovers! ;) Those shows ended up being enough to qualify and they all pulled through with getting ouside orders from the people who cancelled/no-showed. I worry, if they flake on me once, they might do it again. So if at all possible, I try to go through with it as planned. But that's a judgement call, some people might turn in a much higher sales show by rescheduling and the host having a better attendance. I'm still new, so I don't have a lot of statistics to make me feel set in having a standard to follow.

One of the consultants I know uses this postcard to eliminate cancellations.

Trish in Texas
Independent Consultant

Attachments

• Cancellations like paycheck postcard 1a.doc
    148 KB · Views: 485
How frustrating-especially after you sent out the invites! I agree - did she just realize that her family was going out of town?? Very odd. I would be nervous about the re-scheduled date as well.

Hopefully you don't bring the ingredients too!

I agree with the others about going to a show even though you only expect a few guests...but I had one show where the host told me there would be 6 guests. When I got there and asked where to set up - she said "anywhere". I asked where the guests were going to sit and she should me a small bar table with two chairs. (What??!:eek:) I got prepped for the show and the only guest was her boyfriend and she told me her kids were hungry. Finally the gal who she booked off of showed up - but only after the host called to remind her. I went home with no orders and we couldn't even make up a show with outside orders. Ugh.

I really believe she didn't invite anyone - and in that situation -- I really would have preferred a cancellation.

kam said:
<snip>... the only guest was her boyfriend and she told me her kids were hungry. ...<snip>
I HATE those shows - when the host/guests think we're caterers, not salespeople! The chance of that happening is greatly reduced with proper host coaching, but I'll be the first to admit that I really need to work on my coaching. My party on Friday had very few guests, and they all kept asking me, "What are you cooking us for dinner?" before I started. I think the problem for that particular show was that it was in conjunction with a general party/get together the host was having.

chefann said:
I HATE those shows - when the host/guests think we're caterers, not salespeople! The chance of that happening is greatly reduced with proper host coaching, but I'll be the first to admit that I really need to work on my coaching. My party on Friday had very few guests, and they all kept asking me, "What are you cooking us for dinner?" before I started. I think the problem for that particular show was that it was in conjunction with a general party/get together the host was having.

Yes, I REALLY need to work on Host Coaching. I have started using the host coaching form from CC - and that has atleast started me in the right direction.
I've only been doing this for a year - and at first I really wanted the shows for experience and I wasn't overly concerned about everything else. But after a few like that - I have realized that I need to make sure I do a better job so I have fewer shows likes that.

I had two--that's right--TWO shows this weekend that were a bust. My favorites are the ones where 12-15 people come, ooh and ahh over the products, and then leave and "take a catalog home to look at it". I've tried telling the guests that we are closing that day--nope--hosts won't go for it. I did a show Saturday with 14 guests and 5 orders--only one over $50. Show is at $210. Yesterday I did a show with "8 confirmed and excited guests", got there and the place was the filthiest and smallest apartment I have ever seen in my 8 years and 600+ shows. No table space to even put my stuff much less work from, (food and dishes everywhere) no counter space in the kitchen, cochroaches everywhere (but of course the largest D*mn big screen TV I've ever seen in my entire life). The host didn't buy 1/2 the ingredients because "I don't like cilantro--it's gross. I didn't buy salsa verde, I have red. I don't like cheese..." and of course to top it off we started an hour late with 5 people there, all 5, including the host who watched not one but TWO football games the whole time. (Big screen and little portable tv). 3 orders, total $60. The thing that was so amazing to me was that this hostess is the FINANCIAL director of a large insurance firm here in my town. I talked to her at work several times, she was nicely dressed, very polite, excited, etc. I got there and there was not one person there under 300 pounds that was not drinking and smoking and swearing. I host coached my little fanny off for both shows, both hostesses played me like a fiddle. The second show was so gross I came home, washed ALL my tools, and took a shower.

My point is that we all have these. They are frustrating, but you have to just bless and release--every job has its good days and bad days, even motherhood. Keep plugging away--it does get better.

Thanks to all of you for your words of encouragement. I still can't believe she called at 10:00 last night to tell me her family was in Florida. I talked to her on Thurs, Fri & Sat and she never mentioned it. I'm definately going to start sending out the postcards that Trish in Texas posted about cancellations. I like that idea alot.
I'm also going to add something to my hostess letter regarding cancellations and mention that I put a lot of time and effort into my kitchen shows and would appreciate a 48 hour notice if they need to cancel. I realize emergencies can happen but the 3 last minute cancellations I've had were NOT emergencies. All three were due to low or no attendance on the part of the host not cooperating.
And to top off the call from this host at 10:00 last night..........a friend of mine emailed me to reschedule her Oct 18 show that has already been rescheduled 3 times. I replied to her and told her I was taking her show off my calendar and I didn't think we would be able to work it out for another date. At least she gave me some notice but it's the principal of it and I'm tired of her messing with my calendar and my income.

Hopefully the rest of my Sept and Oct shows will hold. I'm really depending on the income from those..........I'm close to my Career Sales total and I wanted to get there before Christmas.

pamperedcheermom said:
Thanks to all of you for your words of encouragement. I still can't believe she called at 10:00 last night to tell me her family was in Florida. I talked to her on Thurs, Fri & Sat and she never mentioned it. I'm definately going to start sending out the postcards that Trish in Texas posted about cancellations. I like that idea alot.
I'm also going to add something to my hostess letter regarding cancellations and mention that I put a lot of time and effort into my kitchen shows and would appreciate a 48 hour notice if they need to cancel. I realize emergencies can happen but the 3 last minute cancellations I've had were NOT emergencies. All three were due to low or no attendance on the part of the host not cooperating.
And to top off the call from this host at 10:00 last night..........a friend of mine emailed me to reschedule her Oct 18 show that has already been rescheduled 3 times. I replied to her and told her I was taking her show off my calendar and I didn't think we would be able to work it out for another date. At least she gave me some notice but it's the principal of it and I'm tired of her messing with my calendar and my income.

Hopefully the rest of my Sept and Oct shows will hold. I'm really depending on the income from those..........I'm close to my Career Sales total and I wanted to get there before Christmas.

That is me as well and I am praying that actually by the end of October I'll be OVER the $15K!! I'm praying for you and give you a huge shoutout KEEP UP THE GREAT JOB!! :thumbup: You can do it!
I set my goal at conference and at that time needed like $4600 and I have about $1175 to go!! :) I have one show open, a catalog open, and 2 shows already booked for October. :) YOU CAN DO IT!

As my director told me, write "PUKE" at the top of her Host Info card...get everything out (as you have so wonderfully done here) and move on...unfortunately, we work with a volunteer workforce for our parties...and, we have to take the good with the bad & move on. You didn't do anything wrong...some people are just flakes. In April, I had 6 shows booked & submitted 3...the kicker being that two of those six rebooked in May & never held their shows at all...so, TWO nights/each of being unemployed. But, you just move on...cause, there is someone who is waiting to be next, who will give you that $1000 show!

I've only had one cancellation, but she was pretty much a flake from day 1. So I didn't push the issue.

My Director said that she still encourages the host to go through with a show with only 2-3 confirmed guests. She said that in her experience, she's found that the guests get more involved, order more and are more likely to book a show themself because they feel like they had more one-on-one time with the consultant.

I've had more cancellations lately than usual too and I think Saturday's show isn't gonna happen. Her kids answer the phone and when I ask to speak to her they ask who I am and then say "she's not here... no, I don't know when she'll be back". They leave the distinct impression that she's right there.

Now, when my kids were little they were trained to not let callers know that I wasn't there too but the way these kids are talking...

Aurrrggh!:yuck:

Mine have been cancelling left and right lately as well. With the storm damage over the weekend and gas jumping to $5 a gallon, that is what they are using as reasons.

I've learned that people will use anything as an excuse. Some are legitimate and some are completely ridiculous. One host said she had to have new countertops installed in her kitchen before she could do her show. She rescheduled 3 times and I finally told her to forget it. I don't care about her countertops and neither would anybody else. It was just an excuse.........and it was getting old. AND there was nothing wrong with her countertops in the first place!

I have some good shows coming up so hopefully they'll go well and I can make the Career Sales mark. That's my goal for now!

Related to Another Last Minute Cancellation!!

1. Why do I keep getting last minute cancellations?

There could be a variety of reasons for last minute cancellations. It could be due to unforeseen circumstances, scheduling conflicts, or emergencies. We understand that it can be frustrating, but please know that we always do our best to accommodate our customers and their schedules.

2. Can I get a refund for my cancelled party?

Unfortunately, we do not offer refunds for cancelled parties. However, we are happy to work with you to reschedule for a different date or time. Please reach out to your consultant for further assistance.

3. Will I still receive my hostess rewards if my party gets cancelled?

If your party is cancelled, you will not receive hostess rewards as those are based on the party sales. However, if you reschedule your party for a later date, you will still be eligible for hostess rewards based on the sales from the rescheduled party.

4. Can I still place an order even though my party got cancelled?

Yes, you can still place an order through your consultant or on our website. We apologize for the inconvenience of the cancelled party and we are happy to assist you with your order.

5. What happens if I cancel my party last minute?

If you need to cancel your party last minute, please contact your consultant as soon as possible. They will work with you to find a new date or time that works for both of you. Please keep in mind that hostess rewards are based on party sales, so cancelling last minute may affect your rewards.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• PamperedchefDaly
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
PamperedchefDaly
  • ChefMommyof3Boys
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
chefa
  • keynibear