• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Advice on How to Deal With a Seasoned Consultant

In summary, the person is trying to work with a consultant who has been a part of their team for three years, but has not achieved any goals after attending their national conference each year. The individual is at a loss for what to do because the consultant does not seem to be able to hold themselves accountable.
finley1991
Hi there... maybe some of you can suggest how I should approach working with one of my consultants. She has been a consultant on my team for 3 years and just attended her 3rd national conference with me. EVERY year after conference she tells me that she is going to bump up her business and promote and then nothing happens.

Last year at Conference we had some alone time together in which I thought I would do some coaching while the excitement of conference was at an all-time high. She went into her "annual" speech about how this is her year, she's going to really work her business... you know the drill... After she finished I pointed out that the previous year that she had told me the same thing but nothing changed in that year, so I asked her what she was planning on doing differently. (My upline used this approach with me and it was very thought-provoking and helpful so I thought I'd try it). Well, she burst into tears and told me that I was being VERY MEAN to her in pointing out that she hadn't reached her goals. Needless to say, we didn't get very far in the coaching. And I decided against coaching her at conference this year! (Go figure!) But all through conference I listened to her tell me and the rest of our team... this is her year.. she's going to promote... the same story. Last December she was less than 1,000 points away from earning Level One and wouldn't go for it. She says and acts like she has the drive, but then won't act on it.

I guess I'm at a loss for what to do here... maybe some of you out there can give me some advice!!! I do my best to hold her accountable (which she has asked me to do) and when she doesn't do something she says she's going to, either she cries or she tells me story after story about how life gets in the way. (We ALL have life getting in the way of our businesses!)

I don't feel it's right to give up on her, but I am tired of hearing the same thing over and over and listening to the crying... So what do all of your brilliant minds out there have to offer me? I REALLY NEED HELP WITH THIS ONE!!!!!!!

PS: I have thought about the "if you can't change your consultants, change your consultants" and I am... I am recruiting and working with 3 others to promote to director... it's just this one that I'm at a crossroads with...

Thanks for your help!!!! :)

Does she really believe in herself? She may really want this to be her year - but you may not know what kind of negative self-talk is going on in her brain. I know - I've had some of those issues........

Maybe you could just ask her what she really wants you to say to her and ask her. If she says she wants you to hold her accountable ask her "what do you mean, exactly?" If she can't be specific, maybe you could say "do you want me to ask you if you've done your three contacts 5 days this week?, or do you want me to ask you if you've asked every person at the show individually if they are interested in more info about the PC business opportunity or having a show?". Ask her exactly what she wants from you.

JAE said:
Maybe you could just ask her what she really wants you to say to her and ask her. If she says she wants you to hold her accountable ask her "what do you mean, exactly?" If she can't be specific, maybe you could say "do you want me to ask you if you've done your three contacts 5 days this week?, or do you want me to ask you if you've asked every person at the show individually if they are interested in more info about the PC business opportunity or having a show?". Ask her exactly what she wants from you.

Thank you! I have done this and asked her specifically how I can hold her accountable and when I ask her if she's done what she says she was going to, more times than not (and now I honestly can't think of a time when she has done something she said she would) she will say she didn't and then I will ask her what held her up from doing it (was it life or fear or what) and she tells me and then I'll ask her when she thinks she can get it done and that's usually where the crying starts.... and at that point there is no way to work with her because she works herself up into a hyperventalating frenzy! (And it's not just me.. she does this with our upline too and with her husband.) Whenever she feels any pressure, she starts the crying thing. That's why I'm at such a loss over what to do!!!!

Instead of assuming this isn't her year (because it hasn't been in the past after she told you she wanted it) Do small things that let her know you are behind her and believe she can make it her year.

send her a postcard or notecard filled with confetti. With just encouraging words.

Make a postcard that you send each month with her stats on trip points maybe that last $1,000 seemed impossible to her last year!!

Write a blurb in your newsletter spotlighting her about how she has attended 3 conferences and some of the successes in her career ($1,00o shows, recruits etc)

I'm always finding small things to send to my team
I send a monthly newsletter and call it Teresa's Sit & Sip I send a flavored tea bag each month. It's a small thing but, they all tell me they look forward to it and they will either call or email me when the get it to tell me about their business or whatever is going on at home.

When she is having a sane moment maybe you could just ask her why she cries when you ask her when she is going to do what she says she's going to do. Word it better than that, but something is obviously wrong, emotionally.

Thanks... all of this is very helpful! I do lots of recognition and she does (as does everyone on my team) get lots of encouragement, postcards, e-mail recognition, etc.

I do believe in her... I really do! And I know she doesn't believe in herself as much.

Thanks again... all of your suggestions are awesome & really helpful!!!!

Colleen - the hardest thing will be those emotions of hers. She has to make the conscience effort to get over them. Her husband needs to be her emotional support and you are her business support. PC is a neat personal business, but it is also a job! Until she gets past whatever is holding her back personally, it won't be her year...she has some fear holding her back. You need to support her business-wise but don't drain your energy dumping into her beyond that. I hope that makes sense...I'm probably rambling by now...

She is telling you she is uncoachable. That might be permanent and it might be temporary. Either way, you need to find somewhere else to put your energy. Still be there for her, offer her anything you would offer to any other consultant, but let her do her own thing. Send postcards that recognize what you want repeated. Remember the 80-20 rule! If she really wants it, she'lll come and ask you for it. Also, have you offered the Step Up to Director program?

Maybe you could partner her up with a new consultant that could use a mentor? They could be responsible for calling each other once a week to discuss progress made on goals?

Or maybe ask her to set small goals and then check in regularly?

I wonder ... is she married? Or is there some other loud voice that she hears that hinders her? A spouse, for instance, can SAY they are supportive, but they may pick a fight every time you go to leave to do a show, or complain when you try to do phone or paper work. Basically, set up obstacles that make it difficult for you to achieve what you say you want.

Often people set conflicting goals for themselves. Help her sort those out. I don't find that one personally so much with TPC, but SURE have with other companies. The time commitment to obtain what is considered successful may be more than she can spend. Or she may just be bad at time management and not know HOW to balance everything out.

Also, be sure that her dream is HER dream and not yours. She may be wanting to please you - maybe she thinks that's the only way she can be your friend, and she may value a friendship with you.

Reminding her that she has yet to meet her goal only serves the purpose of making her feeling worse about herself than she already does. Helping her uncover what holds her back would help - and it could well be what she tells herself she deserves, based on what others have said about her from the time she was a child.

So, some people don't think they deserve success. Some are afraid that if they attain it it will somehow change them into someone they don't want to be - or someone that will be rejected by those she emotionally depends on the most. Some people are afraid of success because it is unknown and anything unknown is frightening. And some people don't know how to define success for themselves and so they try to succeed by someone else's definition, and that will never work.

Hope any of this helps. I know it must be frustrating.

Hey Colleen - you're in MI too...are you in the same cluster as JAE and Becky or no?

JAE said:
When she is having a sane moment maybe you could just ask her why she cries when you ask her when she is going to do what she says she's going to do. Word it better than that, but something is obviously wrong, emotionally.

Yes... you are right that something is wrong emotionally and that's why this is a tricky one. It's a chemical thing and she has been giving prescriptions which she won't take for personal and religious reasons.

And also, she knows that the crying will get her out of facing things (something she had admitted to doing).

I think my best bet is to keep on with the encouraging and wait and see....

I am under Denise Marlink, who is under Nancy Baron. BeckyD attended the same banquet as me at conference, Yvonne Matteson.

{{{hugs}}} to you, Colleen. That's a hard situation to be in.

I wish I had some good advice to share with you, because you've shared some good stuff. But, alas, nothing comes to mind.

finley1991 said:
Yes... you are right that something is wrong emotionally and that's why this is a tricky one. It's a chemical thing and she has been giving prescriptions which she won't take for personal and religious reasons.

Based on that, you HAVE to separate the business from the personal. Offer her the support you would any other consultant and stop there. You can't dig into the emotions or help her get past those. That she has to deal with on her own, with family, with a doctor, with a psychologist, psychiatrist, not with you. If it already is tricky, it will just get time consuming and draining for you. Support on a business level and refer her to professional help (whether that be a pastor, counselor, doctor, whatever for the rest). You may have to be firm and tell her when she bursts into tears that you'll let her go compose herself and continue the business conversation when she is more up to it.

WOW!!!! You are all so brilliant and FAST with your answers! I'm going to print this thread and refer to it often as a reminder of what to do...

Yes... pointing out that she hadn't reached her goal was clearly not a good way to go and that's why I didn't attempt that approach this year!!!!! I LOVE the idea of pairing her up with someone. I'm going to look into that!!!

Thanks again! You all ROCK!!!

PS: Janet -- I'm not in the cluster you mentioned... any idea of who their upline is? Mine is Chris Manion.. she will be my director in a few months (my director is possibly resigning).

JAE said:
I am under Denise Marlink, who is under Nancy Baron. BeckyD attended the same banquet as me at conference, Yvonne Matteson.

I knew you were a "sister" consultant so to speak, just wondering about Colleen. I'm in Yvonne's first line but went to Wave 2 this year.

If she won't take her prescription meds then I don't think there is anything you can do for her. I'd just be there for her when she asks for stuff & have regular "check-in" contact. Until she decides to properly take care of herself she will not be able to reach the goals she wants, its just not possible.

finley1991 said:
PS: Janet -- I'm not in the cluster you mentioned... any idea of who their upline is? Mine is Chris Manion.. she will be my director in a few months (my director is possibly resigning).

I'm pretty sure I saw her at conference (Chris) - she seems like she has a fun personality.

I was at wave 2 too! It's amazing how many of us can live so close together and never cross paths! That's what I love about CS... that we can all connect so easily!!!!

Thanks again for all of your help! :) I'm feeling much more optimistic!!!!

tlennhoff said:
If she won't take her prescription meds then I don't think there is anything you can do for her. I'd just be there for her when she asks for stuff & have regular "check-in" contact. Until she decides to properly take care of herself she will not be able to reach the goals she wants, its just not possible.

Very true. I think I'll pair her up with a partner... actually someone she's recruited... and then go from there. She seem to work really well with her recruit and I haven't heard any problems with them.

And I'll be patient (God help me!) until she decides that she can go for her goals.

I think that would be a great idea, it's a way to train her to train. Good luck with her, and your others. I hope they all promote!

Ok- Maybe this is because I am new to this, but I have some questions about this situation.

If she doesnt really want to promote, why push her? Personally- I do this as recreation. My husband has a great job, so I dont need PC for income purposes-- I use it as a way to meet new people, and get myself some great kitchen gadgets in the mean time. Its in no way a full time job (or even a part time one for that matter) for me. I have no desire to become a director- its added responsibility that I am just not interested in. Why is this a bad thing?

Im being very sincere in my wondering here. As a director do you require all of your consultants to promote? Cause if thats the case, I think I have a very uncomfortable conversation coming with my director.

Would you not think it possible that some consultants just want to stay consultants? Im sure the perks at director are nice, but again, if you are not looking at PC as a job, then it may not be desirable to pick up the added work.

(Sorry if I offended anyone, Im just confused by this whole post)

Colleen,
Congratulations on sticking with her! Great advice and tips were given here! Just another angle. When coaching her, what if you had her put in writing not only what her goal is but what her action is going to be for that week or month? (will she fill out Critique Your Week?) Have her give you a copy of what she writes down.

If she shows up with nothing, then Julie Weiss (Outward Image) advises that you say, "Oh, I am sorry to hear, that. Unfortunately, without your plan I won't be able to cover what I planned for out time together today. How about we schedule a new date and time for an appointment? Also, since we won't be using the time for our call today, perhaps you can use this time to complete your plan. How does that sound to you?"
That way, she is held accountable, and you have made a good faith effort to try and coach her. If she continues to not have it done, then pleasantly tell her to call you when she is ready with her plan.

I remember having the desire and the frustration (but no plan!!) before I became a director, therefore taking me many more years than I wanted to promote. I have an FD that gets closer every year and she will make it, but she is her own worst enemy. She will not work with assignments (and they don't have to be anything more than writing a plan and some attempt at follow through). The ownership lies only in our own hands. If we are not willing to do the work, the benefits will continue to elude us.

If the tears come...use the feel felt found method with her. I know how you feel...I felt that same way when I... would you like to know what worked for me? That way you have her permission to share some advice.

Now, that I am making an attempt to AD...I have to take my OWN advice!!!

Good luck!

finley1991 said:
Very true. I think I'll pair her up with a partner... actually someone she's recruited... and then go from there. She seem to work really well with her recruit and I haven't heard any problems with them.

And I'll be patient (God help me!) until she decides that she can go for her goals.

Have you offerd her the step up to director program or the HIP team? If she doesn't want to coachings from you.... may you should talk to your up line about it. Maybe sit down with her and write some goals down. If I see the goal it is much more achievable to me than just hearing it.

mommyhugz1978 said:
Have you offerd her the step up to director program or the HIP team? If she doesn't want to coachings from you.... may you should talk to your up line about it. Maybe sit down with her and write some goals down. If I see the goal it is much more achievable to me than just hearing it.
My upline is working with my FD that wants to promote. My upline ran into the same problem (of no follow through in assignments) and they took a break for awhile. NC pumped her up again and she is working with the upline again. I feel bad that I make no progress, but I try when I see there is a time and a place. If I get, "I know." I stop and let it go until a better time.

It will come in time. And if it doesn't it wasn't meant to be. It's hard to want it as bad as the consultant does and feel like there is no progress. Understanding and support is sometimes all that we need to give.

baychef said:
My upline is working with my FD that wants to promote. My upline ran into the same problem (of no follow through in assignments) and they took a break for awhile. NC pumped her up again and she is working with the upline again. I feel bad that I make no progress, but I try when I see there is a time and a place. If I get, "I know." I stop and let it go until a better time.

It will come in time. And if it doesn't it wasn't meant to be. It's hard to want it as bad as the consultant does and feel like there is no progress. Understanding and support is sometimes all that we need to give.

I am having a problem with a recurit of mine who jsut does not want to do anything at all... never submitted a show or anything. So my director makes calls to her instead of me.. becasue my recurit makes the excuse" I work with her and her dad is my boss it is werid... and I dont' want to deal with Leah."... Gee why did you sign up under me then????

JTNT8704 said:
Ok- Maybe this is because I am new to this, but I have some questions about this situation.

If she doesnt really want to promote, why push her? Personally- I do this as recreation. My husband has a great job, so I dont need PC for income purposes-- I use it as a way to meet new people, and get myself some great kitchen gadgets in the mean time. Its in no way a full time job (or even a part time one for that matter) for me. I have no desire to become a director- its added responsibility that I am just not interested in. Why is this a bad thing?

Im being very sincere in my wondering here. As a director do you require all of your consultants to promote? Cause if thats the case, I think I have a very uncomfortable conversation coming with my director.

Would you not think it possible that some consultants just want to stay consultants? Im sure the perks at director are nice, but again, if you are not looking at PC as a job, then it may not be desirable to pick up the added work.

(Sorry if I offended anyone, Im just confused by this whole post)

I under no circimstances require anyone to promote! I apologize if I gave that impression! That is most certainly not the case! She has said for 3 years that she wants to promote... I am only going by what she tells me. I have several consultants who do not want more from their businesses and that is totally fine. I do feel, however, that as a Director it is my job to help those who want more from their business. I will never push for anyone to do anything they don't want to do... like I said, I'm only going by what she told me she wants from her business. That's why I was frustrated... because she says she wants more but then doesn't act on it.

On a great note, she did send me an action plan today. It's VERY vague but I think I can work with her to narrow it down to make it more specific (without her crying!!!!)

Thanks again for all of your input! --- COLLEEN :)

I certainly had the impression from your first post that she wants to promote and did not have the feeling you were pressuring her.

finley1991 said:
I under no circimstances require anyone to promote! I apologize if I gave that impression! That is most certainly not the case! She has said for 3 years that she wants to promote... I am only going by what she tells me. I have several consultants who do not want more from their businesses and that is totally fine. I do feel, however, that as a Director it is my job to help those who want more from their business. I will never push for anyone to do anything they don't want to do... like I said, I'm only going by what she told me she wants from her business. That's why I was frustrated... because she says she wants more but then doesn't act on it.

On a great note, she did send me an action plan today. It's VERY vague but I think I can work with her to narrow it down to make it more specific (without her crying!!!!)

Thanks again for all of your input! --- COLLEEN :)
Colleen,
At no time did I get the impression that you were requiring or pressuring her to promote. Only as you said, trying to make HER wishes come true. I have never heard of someone REQUIRING promotion to any level of PC.
Glad you did get an action plan, Colleen! You can coach her, but she needs to do the follow through. Congratulations! Hopefully she will keep working towards her goal!

mommyhugz1978 said:

I'm contemplating doing a Step Up program but am wondering what a HIP team is... can you fill me in? I LOVE the name!!!!!

I would just recognize her at cluster meetings where you think it's appropriate and let it go at that. I have a male consultant like that--every meeting it's "i'm gonna do....(fill in the blank". It's been three years now.....
Don't need to bless and release her, just bless her!

Please, let me tell you my story. (as someone who might be classified as the same group as your consultant). When I first signed on last year, I had BIG dreams to promote as well. Well, life happens, and me promoting didn't happen. I talk to my SD often, and she always encourages me to work on being a director (she thinks I'd be great.) Well, I'm trying to get recruits, and it just ain't happening. So, for now, I'm working hard just to get shows booked. I've been busting my hump, to sell the dream, and there is no interest from anyone at any of my shows. Do I feel bad because I have this big dream to promote? Of course I do, and I feel like I'm letting her down as well and myself. And, sometimes, yes...I cry too. I feel like a failure, because I haven't started "building my team"...but not for lack of trying. I am pretty faithful to the 3-2-1 plan, well, at least the 3 part. I have other things going on in my personal life so that I am not able to live, breathe, sleep and eat PC...like others do out there. We are all different in how we run our business. I don't mean for this to sound harsh...but just because some people find success, doesn't mean that everyone will...even if they are trying their hardest. Me, personally, I have been trying to recruit and promote for a LONG time, and it just isn't there. Support her when she needs support, but don't close the door on her. You never know when she just might surprise you.

Okay, down off my soapbox now...and I apologize if my post sounded nasty. It wasn't meant that way at all. Sorry for the long post.

(If you can't tell, I'm pretty discouraged with myself right now.)

finley1991 said:
I'm contemplating doing a Step Up program but am wondering what a HIP team is... can you fill me in? I LOVE the name!!!!!

I knew you were going to ask me that and now I can't think of what it is ..... I will find out what it is and let you know... I am drawing a blank... sorry!!!

finley1991 said:

HIP = Highly Intentional Prospecting

Other than that... not sure, I wasn't able to do it when some in our cluster just did this spring.

I've been listening to a wonderful CD my hospitality director lent me called 'First Class Coaching'...it's from NC a couple years ago. It was presented to upper level directors.

There is a part where she asks the audience members to think of a problem and then asks 5 or 6 questions about it....then she asks a completely different set of questions. The focus of the first set was more focused on the problem, whereas the second set was focused on the solution. Wow, it really opened my eyes to the importance of word choice.

I have a class this morning, but will post the two sets of questions later so you can see what I mean.

I have all of the conference cds from the last 7 years so I'm sure I have it! I'll check into it! Thanks again for your help! :D

pcchris said:
Please, let me tell you my story. (as someone who might be classified as the same group as your consultant). When I first signed on last year, I had BIG dreams to promote as well. Well, life happens, and me promoting didn't happen. I talk to my SD often, and she always encourages me to work on being a director (she thinks I'd be great.) Well, I'm trying to get recruits, and it just ain't happening. So, for now, I'm working hard just to get shows booked. I've been busting my hump, to sell the dream, and there is no interest from anyone at any of my shows. Do I feel bad because I have this big dream to promote? Of course I do, and I feel like I'm letting her down as well and myself. And, sometimes, yes...I cry too. I feel like a failure, because I haven't started "building my team"...but not for lack of trying. I am pretty faithful to the 3-2-1 plan, well, at least the 3 part. I have other things going on in my personal life so that I am not able to live, breathe, sleep and eat PC...like others do out there. We are all different in how we run our business. I don't mean for this to sound harsh...but just because some people find success, doesn't mean that everyone will...even if they are trying their hardest. Me, personally, I have been trying to recruit and promote for a LONG time, and it just isn't there. Support her when she needs support, but don't close the door on her. You never know when she just might surprise you.

Okay, down off my soapbox now...and I apologize if my post sounded nasty. It wasn't meant that way at all. Sorry for the long post.

(If you can't tell, I'm pretty discouraged with myself right now.)

I don't think this sounded nasty & honestly, I feel like I could have written it! I also want to promote & am trying to mention it at shows, etc. I always get people who say no, not interested. It's very frustrating. I take all this training (Step Up, conference, cds, etc.) so you would think I'd be recruiting like crazy b/c I'm doing what I've been taught to do when wanting to recruit & nothing.

So, maybe this gal is trying (or maybe not--I don't know) to do what she's learned & she's getting frustrated because it's not happening.

There are those who do, those who don't, and those who sit around talking about what they are going to do.
It seems like she falls in the third category.
You already said she's an emotionally charged woman. She probably has high highs and extremely low lows, thus the crying when she feels as if she's being picked on. I'm not going to touch on the matter of her not taking her meds.
Now you mix an emotionally charged woman with a Conference that is designed to pump you up and get you motivated. The adrenalins pumping, she's living the dream. This year is going to be HER year. Next time she'll be strutting across stage, her consultants cheering her on.
Great dream, but the dream quickly fades in her mind when she is away from conference and the emotional pow. So she settles into a semi ambulent state where she still has the dream, but none of the fire.
You're a nice person, you want to help her out. It's great to be needed.
So I think the best thing you can do is to give her a surrogate cheerleader in the form of motivational tapes, CD's, DVD's (make her pay for them of course). She should find a motivational speaker she REALLY loves, someone who when she listens to them helps her get back that fire from conference. Then also find a few from some successful PC exec's and directors that she likes. Now the secret is that whenever she is feeling down she needs to play these. If her car doesn't have a CD player or tape deck, then have her buy a walkman or MP3 player that she can turn on and listen to her "cheerleaders" as she goes to her shows and recruiting appointments.
What this will hopefully accomplish is that when she gets to her party or recruiting interview she will be PUMPED and there will be enough momentum and belief to carry her through to filling out the requirements to obtain her directorship.
I'm not promising that this will work or that she will go for it, but its worth a shot.

1. "How can I approach working with a seasoned consultant who has not been following through on her business goals?"

It can be frustrating when a consultant consistently talks about wanting to promote and grow her business, but then does not take action. One approach you can take is to have a conversation with her in a non-confrontational manner. Try asking her what her specific goals are and what steps she plans to take to achieve them. This can help her clarify her intentions and make a concrete plan. Also, be sure to listen and validate her feelings, but also hold her accountable for her actions.

2. "How can I help my consultant who always talks about promoting but never follows through?"

It's important to remember that ultimately, it is up to the individual consultant to take action and grow her business. However, as a mentor, you can provide guidance and support. Encourage your consultant to set realistic goals and create a plan to achieve them. Offer to help her with specific tasks or provide resources that may be helpful. Also, be sure to follow up and check in regularly to see how she is progressing.

3. "What should I do if my consultant becomes upset or defensive when I point out her lack of progress?"

It's natural for someone to feel sensitive or defensive when their shortcomings are pointed out. However, it's important to communicate in a supportive and non-judgmental way. Instead of focusing on what she hasn't done, try to shift the conversation to what she can do moving forward. Offer encouragement and remind her of her strengths and potential. It may also be helpful to have a third party, such as your upline, mediate the conversation.

4. "Is it okay to give up on a consultant who consistently makes excuses and does not take action?"

As a leader, it's important to support and encourage your team members. However, it's also important to recognize when someone may not be the right fit for your team. If you have tried to coach and support your consultant, but she continues to make excuses and not take action, it may be time to consider focusing your energy on other team members who are more motivated and driven.

5. "What are some other options for dealing with a consultant who is not meeting her goals?"

If you have exhausted all efforts to help your consultant and she is still not making progress, it may be necessary to have a frank conversation with her about her commitment to the business. You can also consider setting specific consequences for not meeting goals, such as not being eligible for certain rewards or recognition. Ultimately, it's important to have open and honest communication and address any issues before they become bigger problems.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• byrd1956
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
byrd1956
  • finley1991
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
PCJenni
  • baychef