• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Sarah Asks: Product for Stove Top & Experienced with Seasoned Stoneware?

she was dissappointed when she looked through the catalog and couldn't find her favorite product that she came to order more of. She said we used to have a metal disk thing that goes in the base of a piece of stove top cookware that prevents the water from boiling over (???). Anyone recall this product and what its name would be?The metal disk for in your saucepan is called the boil control and we still have them in uk.That disk you are talking about is called boil control. they stop selling that product a few years ago.
snugbug
I had a guest tonight who was very dissappointed when she looked through the catalog and couldn't find her favorite product that she came to order more of. She said we used to have a metal disk thing that goes in the base of a piece of stove top cookware that prevents the water from boiling over (???). Anyone recall this product and what its name would be?

Also someone showed me some seriously seasoned stoneware tonight- it was impressive really. The seasoning was so black and thick that it actually has started to crack and peel off! She was totally ok with it as she has had it for years and years and was happy to replace it but I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with this. I'm thinking in my head that it should still be usable and its just stone in those bare spots- what do you think?

Thanks,
Sarah, good shows and trucking along but behind on phone calls

boil overThe metal disk for in your saucepan is called the boil control and we still have them in uk.

That disk you are talking about is called boil control. they stop selling that product a few years ago. I, myself, hated that thing. I tried to use it in many different ways, could never get it to work. Maybe I was doing something wrong. It was before I became a consultant and had people like you to ask questions to because if I did ask a questions about how to use the disk on this website I would have gotten the answer and knew how to use it correctly.

As for the stoneware, I have a stone that is so seasoned but it hasn't started peeling off yet. That I can't help with.

Hope this helps

The boil control was only about $2.50, and I think the way it worked was that it started rattling when the water boiled... letting you know that the water was boiling so you would take the lid off, add food... something like that. I bought it before becoming a consultant.. and still have it...but don't use it much ... at the time I had small children and was ALWAYS experiencing boil overs!

As for the peeling on the stone... WOW... mine aren't that seasoned yet!!
But in the use & care instructions (I believe) it recommends using a baking soda/water paste if the seasoning builds up... rub it on there to get some of the excessive seasoning off. Check the PIG and see what it says. Or look in the Stoneware Inspirations cookbook for tips on stoneware.

I have a customer that runs all her stones through her oven's LOW cleaning cycle. She says that it cleans up the stone nicely whenever they start to look overly black. She's had one stone for nearly 10 years.

DZmom said:
I have a customer that runs all her stones through her oven's LOW cleaning cycle. She says that it cleans up the stone nicely whenever they start to look overly black. She's had one stone for nearly 10 years.
WoW, that is a GREAT TIP!!!!
TFS

DZmom said:

I've heard of a few people doing that and it was a recommended method by a few consultants. Then the HO came out and said it was a big NO!! The temps can get too high and crack the stone. I realize you said she did the low setting but some ovens might not have that feature and someone else could crack their stone. I have always recommended (and prefer) to use the baking soda paste. I have two stones that are 9 years old and have never reached the "seasoning so thick it flakes" stage. When you look at someone's stone that is so black, I always wonder what they do to it :confused: After it becomes smooth and non-stick you really shouldn't be seasoning it anymore....I would think that is what causes the black build up. Either that or they bake alot of greasy foods :)

From what I have heard, when the stone turns black like that and starts to peel or crack they have "over" seasoned it by spraying it with Pam or oil after it is no longer needed.
They don't need to spray the stone any longer when it has a non-stick surface.

This is just what I have heard. My stones I have had for 8 years and never have been any darker then the ones shown in the catalog.

Kelly

I had a freind who's stone was like that. She told me that she never really scrapped or washed it after each use, since she was just heating things on it. hen she would put it back in her oven for storage and when she would go to cook something else later she would forget that the stone was in there. I tried to help her scrape it on day and it look a lot worse than before we messed with it. It had scratches everywhere but there was no real way get it all off. This was a couple of years ago and she still has the stone. I don't know if she uses it anymore or not. When I started coming on here I heard about the baking soda idea and let her know. I need to call and see if it helped her at all.

Thanks for the ideas on the stoneware ladies. I'll pass the information along so she can do as she likes with it. She already replaced the stone so she may be willing to 'risk' the oven clean setting- I don't know,

Also thank you on the boil control thing. THis customer absolutely loves hers, had 2 and gifted 1 and wants to stock up. Now that I know the name of it I can tell her and she can figure out if she wants it enough to check ebay and whatnot

Thank you!
Sarah

I clean my stones every three months with the baking soda paste and one of those scratchy yellow and green sponges. It seems to keep them looking nice, but still like I use them.

I made a brisket with the marinade still in the pan in the rectangular baker last weekend and it had blackened in lots of places, and when I went to clean it up some it started flaking off, some of it I had to soak for a little bit, but for the most part it all came off with the little brown wonder.

I had a lady tell me yesterday that when she has 2 or 3 stones that need clean she puts them (just them) in the dishwasher, without soap, on the rise cycle. Has anyone ever heard of this or tried it? I'm not sure how I feel about it!

pamperedwendy said:
I had a lady tell me yesterday that when she has 2 or 3 stones that need clean she puts them (just them) in the dishwasher, without soap, on the rise cycle. Has anyone ever heard of this or tried it? I'm not sure how I feel about it!

I'm not sure where I read this, I think it was from PC direct though, and it said that dishwashers move water at such a force that they risk water logging the stone (since the stone doesn't get water forced in it with normal running tap water and scraping) and then bursting it with the next cooking time due to residual trapped moisture. I don't know if thats all true but thats what I heard

Sarah

I have always wanted to put my stone through the dishwasher with no soap and see what happened but I have never been brave enough to do it.

Do not put your stones in the dishwasher! That will "shock" the stone and the next time you use it you are likely to hear a pop as it breaks!!

Read the use & care cards in your products!!!

What products do you recommend for stove top cooking?

For stove top cooking, we recommend our Executive Nonstick Cookware line. These pots and pans are designed to withstand high heat and are perfect for searing, sautéing, and simmering.

Can I use seasoned stoneware on the stove top?

No, we do not recommend using seasoned stoneware on the stove top. The high heat and direct flame can cause the stoneware to crack or break. It is best to use stoneware in the oven or microwave.

What is the difference between seasoned stoneware and regular stoneware?

Seasoned stoneware has been treated with a special oil that creates a nonstick surface. This allows for easier release of food and makes cleaning a breeze. Regular stoneware does not have this treatment and may require greasing before use.

How do I clean and care for my seasoned stoneware?

To clean your seasoned stoneware, simply scrape off any excess food with a nylon scraper or brush. Do not use soap or soak in water, as this can remove the seasoning. Instead, rinse with hot water and dry thoroughly. For tough stuck-on food, use our stoneware cleaner. To maintain the seasoning, lightly rub the stoneware with vegetable oil before and after each use.

Can I use metal utensils on my seasoned stoneware?

No, we recommend using only nylon, silicone, or wooden utensils on your seasoned stoneware. Metal utensils can scratch and damage the seasoning, affecting the nonstick properties of the stoneware.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Brenda.the.chef
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
esavvymom
Back