• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Quick and Easy Homemade Yeast Bread

I am going to have to try this recipe though. Earlier this week, I did the "simple no knead bread" recipe I found on here. disaster!!! I followed the directions, but it tasted awful and was stuck to my DCB, so much so that I cracked the edge of it while trying to get the dang read out. Fortunately, i had a spare bottom half from a previous one. But we chucked the bread, taste was yuck.
I posted this on Facebook and wanted to share it here as well.

The quickest yeast bread you'll ever make. Warm, fresh, crusty on the outside and soft on the inside, delicious home made bread in just over an hour and for about $1.

Ingredients:

5-6 cups all-purpose flour (you can substitute whole wheat flour for 1 or 2 cups)

2 tablespoons dry yeast (regular, NOT rapid rise, yeast)

2 tablespoons sugar

1 tablespoon salt

2 cups hot water (120° to 130°) Note: water temperature is critcial to proper yeast activation

Directions:

1. Grease the Deep Covered Baker and the bowl that you'll let the bread rise in. Set aside.

2. Combine 4 cups of the flour, the yeast, sugar, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Add the hot water and three minutes with a mixer (or 100 stokes by hand). Add the remaining flour (I've never needed to add more than 1 cup) until the dough is no longer sticky. Knead* the dough for 8 minutes on a floured surface, adding flour as needed to prevent sticking.

3. Place the dough in the greased bowl and cover with a damp towel. Let rise 15 minutes. Remove dough to floured surface, punch or fold down** (3 minutes should do it) and shape into a large loaf. Place the dough in deep covered baker.

Cut a slit about 1/2 inch deep along the top of the loaf and several small slits on either side of the first slit. It will look a little like a branch with leaves when you are done.

4. Put the lid on the baker and place in a COLD oven. Turn oven to 400° and bake for 50 minutes. Remove from overn, uncover, gasp in amazement, remove loaf from baker to cool on a rack.

Cook's Tip: to slice bread set it on it's side and cut wth a serrated bread knife. By cutting from the side you avoid crushing the flaky top crust.

Attachments

• bread dcb.jpg
    bread dcb.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 1,162
  • bread 2.jpg
    bread 2.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 938
Only 15 minutes to rise?! Wow! I have GOT to try this! I am embarrassed to confess that I still haven't tried any of the variations of the Artisan bread recipes, but mostly it's just due to the timing of it.

That sounds great so much better than the Artison bread I am going to try this ASAP

I only have rapid rise yeast. Would that be a problem?

Oracle said:
Knead* the dough for 8 minutes on a floured surface, adding flour as needed to prevent sticking.

3. Place the dough in the greased bowl and cover with a damp towel. Let rise 15 minutes. Remove dough to floured surface, punch or fold down** (3 minutes should do it) and shape into a large loaf. Place the dough in deep covered baker.

What are the asterisks for? There did not seem to be any matching ones at the end.

Thanks.

Apologies for the asterisk confusion.

When I posted this on FB those asterisks refered to two videos - one showing how to knead dough, the other how to punch or fold it down.

With regard to the rapid rise yeast question, I've not tried it personally and counsel against it as I'm concerned about the mechanics and science of it in this recipe.

If you try it please let us know how it works. Learning from each other is one of the best parts of this wonderful community!

Happy, healthy, prosperous new year wishes to all!

I made this and the crust was beautiful, but the bread was really dense. I am not an experienced bread baker, but I followed the directions exactly. Should I let it rise longer? Knead the dough longer? The picture shows the bread baked above the rim of the dcb, but mine was only half way up the side. Any advice??

TIA!

veggiemama said:
I made this and the crust was beautiful, but the bread was really dense. I am not an experienced bread baker, but I followed the directions exactly. Should I let it rise longer? Knead the dough longer? The picture shows the bread baked above the rim of the dcb, but mine was only half way up the side. Any advice??TIA!
How old is your yeast? If is too old, it wont work as well.I am going to have to try this recipe though. Earlier this week, I did the "simple no knead bread" recipe I found on here. disaster!!! I followed the directions, but it tasted awful and was stuck to my DCB, so much so that I cracked the edge of it while trying to get the dang read out. Fortunately, i had a spare bottom half from a previous one. But we chucked the bread, taste was yuck. I will give HIS recipe a try! (and I am a bread baker for years, so I am not a newbie. )

WOW - I am not a bread maker but this was very easy and tasted great. It makes a very big loaf of bread!! Can the dough be divided into smaller loaves (loaf pan size, or 4 minis) and baked without being covered? I didn't know the significance of baking it covered. Also, I don't remember if this was mentioned, but can you use whole wheat flour?

cochef said:
WOW - I am not a bread maker but this was very easy and tasted great. It makes a very big loaf of bread!! Can the dough be divided into smaller loaves (loaf pan size, or 4 minis) and baked without being covered? I didn't know the significance of baking it covered. Also, I don't remember if this was mentioned, but can you use whole wheat flour?

You can usually substitute some of the regular flour for whole wheat without too much trouble. If you use all whole wheat flour, then you would want to typically add some extra things (My WW bread recipes have gluten and lecithin in the recipe- so that may be it).

As far as the covering, I don't usually cover any of my breads. But my crusts are crispier. I would THINK covering it would keep some moisture in, so that probably gives you a slightly softer crust. Taking the cover off towards the end would crisp it up. When I make some of my Artisan bread recipes, to get that "bakery style crisp" to the bread crust, I lightly mist it with water. It gives a great crunch to the outside. So I would bet taking the cover off at the end for just a few minutes does the same.

And I don't see why you couldn't divide the loaves up for the 4-mini.

I made this yesterday! Its really delicious! Homemade bread in a little over an hour? Yeck yes!

I only have rapid rise yeast so thats what I used. I also did all the kneeding with my mixer. I think next time, I'm going to only use 2 packets of yeast (the recipe's equivanelt is 2 1/2 packets) and cut the baking time by about 5 minutes. The outter bottom and side crusts were just a little too hard for me.

Thanks for the great recipe!

pctharper said:
I made this yesterday! Its really delicious! Homemade bread in a little over an hour? Yeck yes!

I only have rapid rise yeast so thats what I used. I also did all the kneeding with my mixer. I think next time, I'm going to only use 2 packets of yeast (the recipe's equivanelt is 2 1/2 packets) and cut the baking time by about 5 minutes. The outter bottom and side crusts were just a little too hard for me.

Thanks for the great recipe!

I just got my first KitchenAid and would love to try this. How long did you use the mixer for? The recipe says knead by hand 8 minutes so I have no idea how to convert it for mixer use. Did you also 'punch' it for 3 minutes after it sat for 15 minutes?

I just let the mixer need it until it was a nice texture, adding extra flour as needed. I probably ended up adding an extra 1 1/2 cups during th kneeding process.

A general rule of thumb is that a mixer kneeds in approx half the time, so try letting it go for 4 minutes and check it.

After it raised, I punched it down in the bowl until it didn't feel 'airy', but I didn't take it back out and kneed it again.

Does any one know how to adjust the recipe to make it into a sweet bread? I'm thinking of turning it into a cinn raisen bread, but not sure what adjustments to make.

cochef said:
.... Also, I don't remember if this was mentioned, but can you use whole wheat flour?

I made this using 100% whole wheat flour, and added gluten to it to help with the texture. It was AWESOME! I use the white whole wheat flour by King Arthur. It's a different wheat grain that isn't as bitter or nutty as regular WW. HTH!

I made this bread today, I used my Kitchen Aid mixer to do the mixing/kneading. 14 yr old daughter did the punch down and folding over. Bread is currently in the oven baking. Something about the smell of baking bread that makes you hungry!!!!

Will post followup on how it turned out later. Hoping for the best.

Bread turned out GREAT!!!!!!!!!
We had sloppy joes for dinner using the bread!
Will have to grease the pan just a bit more next time, bread didn't fall out of the baker like I expected it too.

Thinking about making a loaf just before a show and taking it with me in the DCB and pulling it out and then making whatever recipe with the baker.

Made the bread ysterday.......used it for french toast this morning! YUMMY!!!!!!!!

Just made it tonight! I used my Kitchen Aid mixer and it went well. Everyone loved it! :) I think I'd like to add something to it next time to add more flavor to it. Tonight I just used white flour.

babywings76 said:
Just made it tonight! I used my Kitchen Aid mixer and it went well. Everyone loved it! :) I think I'd like to add something to it next time to add more flavor to it. Tonight I just used white flour.

I was thinking about adding crushed garlic and parmesan cheese to it, with maybe chopped up pepperoni bits. My hubby made a comment tonight that I will have to make the bread again....guess that is his way saying he was impressed with it LOL.

I made this (half a batch) in my KitchenAid mixer with the dough hook. Hubby LOVED it. Such an easy recipe - definitely a keeper.

I am about to make this again (probably the 7th or 8th time, and I intend to make 3 different loaves (wish I had 3 different DCB, maybe this month with the stoneware special I'll pick up another)... As for making it a sweet bread, here's what I did, it was pretty dense, but quite tasty:
I increased the sugar to 1/2 cup (my husband thought it should be more like 2/3rds or 3/4ths, but I prefer subtle)...(also had to increase the flour a bit because it was sticky) and added 1 tsp Cinnamon. When I went to punch it down, I rolled it into a rectangle and used the Sweet Cinnamon Sprinkle liberally. I then rolled it from the narrow end down the length, seam-side down and tucked the ends. After cutting the top, I used a "dusting" of the Sweet Cinnamon Sprinkle and baked the same way (cold oven, 400 for 50 minutes, covered). This bread is better toasted, but since it's so big, I did have to cut each slice in half to fit it in my toaster!I'm about to try a garlic/parmesan version the same way, slightly more salt, less sugar, and using pressed garlic and parmesan instead of the Sweet Cinnamon Sprinkle... I'm tempted to try Italian Seasoning in place of cinnamon, but I might try it without for the first baking.

I made this last nigiht and was pleasantly suprised how well it rose and it was wonderful. It was dense and the crust was a littl crunchy in places. Family loved it and under an hour, A+++++

I made this the other day too - after having made the artisan bread last week - and it was soo good! It's more "work" than the artisan bread but a whole lot less waiting. And it's huge!Thank you for sharing!

Thanks for bumping this! Need to try it maybe see about getting my mom to buy a DCB this month LOL

So glad to see that you're enjoying this recipe.

I loved the Artisan Bread show concept but wanted a recipe that was quicker AND didn't void the warranty on the DCB - no way was I going to suggest that to hosts.

Hence this recipe :)

I tried making it a sweet bread by using 2 Tbs of the Sweet Cinnamon Sprinkles. It was ok, but it wasn't sweet enough. So I'm just toasting it for breakfast and adding sugar and cinnamon & it's awesome. I may experiment more to try to figure out how to get it sweet enough. Has anyone has success with this?

tahodgin said:
I tried making it a sweet bread by using 2 Tbs of the Sweet Cinnamon Sprinkles. It was ok, but it wasn't sweet enough. So I'm just toasting it for breakfast and adding sugar and cinnamon & it's awesome. I may experiment more to try to figure out how to get it sweet enough. Has anyone has success with this?

I don't do this bread - but I make the Artisan 18 hour bread all the time for shows. For brunch shows, I do a sweet version. Add 2 Tbls of honey to the dough when you mix it up, and then before the 2nd rise, when you take it out to fold it over, spread it out on your pastry mat or parchament, and sprinkle it well with cinnamon and sugar. Fold it up for the 2nd rise and then bake it as normal. I serve it with the cinnamon honey nut spread in the MFP recipe cards collection.

tahodgin said:

I posted this a couple comments before yours:

As for making it a sweet bread, here's what I did, it was pretty dense, but quite tasty:
I increased the sugar to 1/2 cup (my husband thought it should be more like 2/3rds or 3/4ths, but I prefer subtle)...(also had to increase the flour a bit because it was sticky) and added 1 tsp Cinnamon.

When I went to punch it down, I rolled it into a rectangle and used the Sweet Cinnamon Sprinkle liberally. I then rolled it from the narrow end down the length, seam-side down and tucked the ends. After cutting the top, I used a "dusting" of the Sweet Cinnamon Sprinkle and baked the same way (cold oven, 400 for 50 minutes, covered). This bread is better toasted, but since it's so big, I did have to cut each slice in half to fit it in my toaster!

Hope that helps.... I've also tried different spice/herb combinations, and my husband loved the Garlic/Parmesan version that I did (I used 1 tsp of garlic and 2 Tbs salt in the dough and then rolled it out the same way with parmesan and pressed garlic, then dusted the top with a couple more tablespoons of parm).

RCB Easy Artisanal Bread recipe modification: half batch works perfectly

Halving my original recipe works well in the RCB and I also reduced the mixing, kneading and punching down time by about 25% to avoid overworking the smaller loaf size

Looks like we have a fabulous new multifunction piece that doubles as a bread machine.

:)

Attachments

• bread 1.jpg
    bread 1.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 740
  • bread 2.jpg
    bread 2.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 693
  • bread 3.jpg
    bread 3.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 641
I made this tonight, and it was a hit with my bread-picky family. Definitely doing this again.

Have made this bread several times....love it. Used the rosemary herb, sun roasted tomato, and garlic parmasan. All have been a big hit.

I am rising this dough as I TYPE. I halved it and am going to use my RCB as well. : ) How long did you cook it for in the RCB?

ritabenson said:
I am rising this dough as I TYPE. I halved it and am going to use my RCB as well. : ) How long did you cook it for in the RCB?

I've been using 48 minutes for the half batch in the RCB and it's been working very well.

How did your's come out?

Oracle said:
I've been using 48 minutes for the half batch in the RCB and it's been working very well.

How did your's come out?

I did 40 minutes and it is TASTY. I think it is a little heavier of a bread in the RCB but still GREAT. :)

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• DebPC
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
byrd1956
  • DebPC
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
KindaichiShota
  • DebPC