• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Is Aspartame Dangerous? Discover the Facts

In summary, Aspartame has been linked to numerous health issues such as abdominal pain, anxiety attacks, asthma, bloating, blood sugar control problems, brain cancer, breathing difficulties, burning eyes or throat, confusion, depression, dizziness, fatigue, hair loss, headaches, heart palpitations, hives, hypertension, infection susceptibility, insomnia, joint pains, memory loss, menstrual problems, migraines, muscle spasms, numbness, panic attacks, phob

What do you think?

• Its true! STAY AWAY FROM IT!

Votes: 39 58.2%
  • Who knows.... I'm not worried.

Votes: 11 16.4%
  • Don't worry about it... Something's gonna get you!

Votes: 12 17.9%
  • Its not true.

Votes: 5 7.5%

• Total voters
AJPratt
Silver Member
Is all the hype about aspartame true? What do you think? My director told me that it cause neurological damage and to "google" it. Here's what I found.

Abdominal Pain
Anxiety attacks
arthritis
asthma
Asthmatic Reactions
Bloating, Edema (Fluid Retention)
Blood Sugar Control Problems (Hypoglycemia or Hyperglycemia)
Brain Cancer (Pre-approval studies in animals)
Breathing difficulties
burning eyes or throat
Burning Urination
can't think straight
Chest Pains
chronic cough
Chronic Fatigue
Confusion
Death
Depression
Diarrhea
Dizziness
Excessive Thirst or Hunger
fatigue
feel unreal
flushing of face
Hair Loss (Baldness) or Thinning of Hair
Headaches/Migraines dizziness
Hearing Loss
Heart palpitations
Hives (Urticaria)
Hypertension (High Blood Pressure)
Impotency and Sexual Problems
inability to concentrate
Infection Susceptibility
Insomnia
Irritability
Itching
Joint Pains
laryngitis
"like thinking in a fog"
Marked Personality Changes
Memory loss
Menstrual Problems or Changes
Migraines and Severe Headaches (Trigger or Cause From Chronic Intake)
Muscle spasms
Nausea or Vomiting
Numbness or Tingling of Extremities
Other Allergic-Like Reactions
Panic Attacks
Phobias
poor memory
Rapid Heart Beat
Rashes
Seizures and Convulsions
Slurring of Speech
Swallowing Pain
Tachycardia
Tremors
Tinnitus
Vertigo
Vision Loss
Weight gain

Aspartame Disease Mimics Symptoms or Worsens the Following Diseases

Fibromyalgia
Arthritis
Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
Parkinson's Disease
Lupus
Multiple Chemical Sensitivities (MCS)
Diabetes and Diabetic Complications
Epilepsy
Alzheimer's Disease
Birth Defects
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
Lymphoma
Lyme Disease
Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD)
Panic Disorder
Depression and other Psychological Disorders

I have Lupus- itis a chronic inflammatory disease that can affect various parts of the bady, especially the joints, blood, kidneys and skin.

I found in my case, aspartame did effect my joints. I recieved an e-mail from a good friends mother who is a nurse. It said how studies had found that people with Lupus, MS, CFS and other diseases that effect the joints, that stopped consuming products with aspartame found great pain relief in their joints, muscles etc...

I was a HUGE diet pop drinker and thought what the heck, won't hurt to drink something else for a while. The worst that will happen is I won't feel any different! ;) When I woke up the next morning after going without the diet pop, I couldn't believe the difference. My fingers, knees and feet where the most limber they had been in years! :D

EVERYONE is different- this is just how my body reacted.

I've been doing research on some other neurological things that coincide with the death of my 3 year old nephew (last month), and will NEVER give aspartame to myself or my family ever again! When you ingest it, it is broken down in your system into methanol (wood alcohol) that turns into poisonous FORMALDEHYDE (ew!) which in turn coverts to formic acid. Oh, and formic acid is an activator to help strip of epoxy and urethane coatings. (GROSS!) Such gasses mess with your joints, causing hardcore arthritis, and can cause birth defects, brain damage and all those other things that Anne listed. No thanks. I'll pass. :D

pchefinski said:
I've been doing research on some other neurological things that coincide with the death of my 3 year old nephew (last month), and will NEVER give aspartame to myself or my family ever again! When you ingest it, it is broken down in your system into methanol (wood alcohol) that turns into poisonous FORMALDEHYDE (ew!) which in turn coverts to formic acid. Oh, and formic acid is an activator to help strip of epoxy and urethane coatings. (GROSS!) Such gasses mess with your joints, causing hardcore arthritis, and can cause birth defects, brain damage and all those other things that Anne listed. No thanks. I'll pass. :D

OMG!!...I'm so sorry about your nephew what a tragic loss!!
But on a brighter note...GREAT pic of your son;)

Amanda... that is so awful! My heart goes out to you and your family! Thank you SOOO much for your insight!

As a chronic Migraine sufferer, I've found that any aspartame in my system can and will trigger a severe episode. Normally, an aspartame induce episode will last for 4 to 5 days with no relief except hard core narcotics.

Is it in all diet soda's? What other products is it in?

It's in pretty much anything diet UNLESS it says that it is made with Splenda.

I know we stay away from Diet soda and Crystal Light (love the packets) but not what can come from using it!! :eek:

Splenda is okay to use right?? Its made from sugar I believe?

Kelly

Aspartame is also in Jello Sugar Free gelatin, and I do notice it effects my
knees when I forget and have some. You will also want to check the labels
on Lo-Carb Salad dressings, and No Sugar ice creams. I read an article
about two years ago but don't think I have it in my archives anymore. If you
want to PM me, I can look and forward it, if I do.

Thank Youfor this thread, as I am (ashamed to say it now) an AVID, 2 1/2 liter bottle of Dt. Coke drinker daily, I am going to run upstairs and look....I had not heard this and I also consume sweet & low with my 4 morning coffees (a little hard core on the caffeine?:eek: )

I am so sorry to hear about your nephew.

I will definatley be looking more closely and reading up on this now.

THANK YOU again....:eek:

You're welcome! It was my director who brought it to my attention!

Splenda is not really safe, either. Splenda, also known as sucralose, is artificial sweetener which is a chlorinated sucrose derivative. Facts about this artificial chemical follows:

Other adverse effects reported in pre-approval research included:
Shrunken thymus glands (up to 40% shrinkage) (EO56)
Enlarged liver and kidneys. (EO57 & E161)
Atrophy of lymph follicles in the spleen and thymus (EO51, EO56, EO151)
Increased cecal weight (E151)
Reduced growth rate (EO57)
Decreased red blood cell count (EO55)
Hyperplasia of the pelvis (EO57)
Extension of the pregnancy period
Aborted pregnancy (E134)
Decreased fetal body weights and placental weights (EO32)
Diarrhea

http://www.holisticmed.com/splenda/

http://www.holisticmed.com/sweet/

Last edited:
OMG are like all these artificial sweetners bad for you? What will I do now after reading this. I can't possibly go back to regular sugar, I will be big as a house...LOL. This is an intresting thread i never knew that it could cause so much damage.

By the way...Im sorry to here about your nephew....Just to young.:(

These artificial sweetners also deplete our "feel good" hormone Seratonin. No wonder dieters feel so crazy all the time. Moderation is key. A teaspoon of sugar has 16 calories. Rather than order sweet tea, I add 2 packets of sugar. That's only 32 calories. We burn that breathing.
It seems that ALL chewing gums now have artificial sweetners too. I have become an avid label reader and refuse to put all the fake stuff into my body or my family's.

I know one time I looked into this, and it is true about all the side effects, but some of the articles were talking about large amounts. It would be way more than most people would ever consume in a day. It would be interesting to check into how much they are talking about being consumed when they are talking about all those side effects.

mminikus said:
I know one time I looked into this, and it is true about all the side effects, but some of the articles were talking about large amounts. It would be way more than most people would ever consume in a day. It would be interesting to check into how much they are talking about being consumed when they are talking about all those side effects.

That's true. I just think if you have three diets sodas, pack of gum, and a couple of cups coffee with sweetener in it, you've had quite a bit. One site does mention how much is safe, but that's just an estimate.

Kapooh: I am cutting back on soda and not consuming these sweeteners. Every now and then you may have something with them in it and you can't help it. If you just make the effort to watch out for it, you'll be better off.

Now if you are diabetic and can't have sugar than these sweeteners are your only choice. I will cringe the next time I see my FIL drop four of those packets into something.

Last edited:
I have never liked the taste of artificial sweeteners and will only drink non-diet because the taste kills me every time. It's funny that the "healthier" stuff is what is going to do us in!!

My mother is a dentist and she says that the stuff in diet sodas is just as bad as regular sugar on your teeth. (I am a little teeth crazy). My husband and I stopped drinking sodas all together about a year ago. Even the diet stuff can pack the pounds on you! Once you let go of all that sugar and caffiene, you don't even miss it. I agree that people should be more careful about what they put into their bodies. I definetly DO NOT believe that everything that is approved to sell as food is good for you. I have been so tempted to go all organic with my family, but we just haven't done it yet.

I have a friend who's mother is a researcher and she says we would have to consume more than humanly possible every day of our life to have the effects the articles are talking about. There my making it impossible to consume enough to have negative side effects.

Sk8Mom209 said:
I have a friend who's mother is a researcher and she says we would have to consume more than humanly possible every day of our life to have the effects the articles are talking about. There my making it impossible to consume enough to have negative side effects.

While that may be true in general, I'd rather not rik it. And, everyone reacts differently. If I drink a diet soda I will get a migraine. If I eat lunch meat or anything else with a lot of nitrates, I'll get a headache.

I don't agree. I know a good bit of people that have adverse reactions (listed as side effects) to both aspartame and splenda, as well as some other preservatives that the FDA deems healthy and safe for consumption. Think 100 years ago when we weren't consuming this crap all day long in everything we eat. A good bit of things do not even have to be listed in the food we eat, and we can't even decipher 95% of what IS in it already! Yes, there are many causes for the things listed as side effects, but if we'd stop polluting our bodies with chemicals used to preserve things for 12 years (or worse, used as chemicals to strip furniture polish or as gasoline additives, among other things), we'd no doubt be healthier. As for those who use the diet foods to lose weight, a lot of times they are in a catch 22 -- the "diet" foods are actually preventing their weightloss. I am with ChefJessica in the desire to go completely organic. Unfortunately, we live in a society where most are not financially able to eat preservative- (and poison-) free. And, since I'm doing PC to get extra money for groceries (and other necessities), my family is in that boat. But God willing, and hard work on my part, my family will soon eat food that can keep our bodies healthy without ingesting carcinogens mixed in with our ranch dressing (benzene).

soonerchef said:
I have never liked the taste of artificial sweeteners and will only drink non-diet because the taste kills me every time.

You read my mind, I have tried many diet drinks, and just can't stand the after-taste of that artificial stuff, I will stick with my NON-diet Dr Pepper thanks.

Try stevia. :) I've recently hopped on the anti-artificial sweetener bandwagon. Stevia is a sweet herb. It's been used for decades in other countries, but for some reason the FDA hasn't put it on the 'safe' list yet. Probably due to politics.

I've given up sodas and such because of the sugar and artificial sweetener things. These days I use our Juicer to get fresh lemon juice for stevia-sweetened lemondade/lemon water. It's great! The tricky bit has been figuring out just how much stevia to use. :)

I am allergic to Aspartame. About 10 years ago, I started having horrible headaches. It always happened after I had coffee and I thought it was the caffine. I went to decaf and it worsened. I then started having vomiting episodes with it. Eventually, really bad hives started to happened. We came to the conclusion it was the sweetner that I was putting in the coffee. I also can not eat sugar free jello etc. It really is bad in the raw form.

OMG!:eek: I'm so glad you caught it!

My husband used to consume large quanities of Equal every day in tea, plus drink diet sodas made with it. He used to get the worst headaches. When we switched to Splenda, the headaches stopped. More and more diet drinks are switching to Splenda. I've read online where a lot of people don't like Splenda either. Sounds like the only thing that won't hurt you is sugar unless you are fat like me or diabetic.

jenniferlynne said:
Sounds like the only thing that won't hurt you is sugar unless you are fat like me or diabetic.

LOL! I'm trying to use more organic or whole foods, things that haven't been processed.

Are there any good sites about going organic?

AJPratt said:
LOL! I'm trying to use more organic or whole foods, things that haven't been processed.

Are there any good sites about going organic?

This thread is very interesting - basically because I am & have been for some time on the "Whole Foods" bandwagon.....eating organic, minimally processed foods whenever possible.
There is a great book - "Ultra-Metabolism" by Mark Hyman M.D. and he also has a website www.ultrametabolism.com. which will help you as you try to eat healthier - the bonus for me was that by eating healthier (getting rid of processed foods, high fructose corn syrup, hydrogenated oils etc...) I was able to lose 30 lbs w/o even trying!!

His website & book have lots of recipes, shopping lists, and other links to help you! It is a great book! Sometimes its hard for me to find organic around here, but it is getting easier all the time. If you are fortunate enough to have a Whole Foods Market, or a Wild Oats or Trader Joe's Market near you it will be much simpler!
The book I read first which really opened my eyes to the link between my health, and what I eat - was "Eating Well for Optimum Health" by Dr. Andrew Weil.
OH - and just a thought about the comment about how much aspartame you would have to ingest to be dangerous......EVERY researcher says that about their specific product - but they don't take in to consideration the cumulative effect of ALL the artificial chemicals, pesticides, etc....that are going into our bodies on a daily basis...hmmmmm. Our bodies are pretty much in shock by all the stuff we are putting into them that they don't know how to process!
I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, about 5 yrs ago, and have been able to live a normal healthy life since changing my eating habits! My son (who is 2)has never had a hot dog, prefers fruits, veggies and fish over other foods and doesn't like french fries! (he also loves M&M's - I'm not completely heartless:rolleyes: )

ChefBeckyD said:
OH - and just a thought about the comment about how much aspartame you would have to ingest to be dangerous......EVERY researcher says that about their specific product - but they don't take in to consideration the cumulative effect of ALL the artificial chemicals, pesticides, etc....that are going into our bodies on a daily basis...hmmmmm. Our bodies are pretty much in shock by all the stuff we are putting into them that they don't know how to process!

That's what I meant. Thank you, you were able to put my thoughts down when I couldn't! I remember my Mom made a lot of our food and we didn't eat a lot of junk and I want to do that when we have kids, maybe not make the food, my Mom had a lot more time than I do.

I remember my Mom made a lot of our food and we didn't eat a lot of junk and I want to do that when we have kids, maybe not make the food, my Mom had a lot more time than I do.

The good thing is that there are alot of great prepared organic whole foods out there now! Amy's brand is excellent - awesome mac & cheese, pizza, burritos (all frozen foods), Seeds of Change has great tomato products & salad dressings, my son had organic baby food and teething biscuits, yogurt...etc. I have a small garden,and I do alot of our cooking (I was also raised by a mom who grew and made everything herself) but I love having the option of convenience foods that are healthy (especially on show nights). I guess you could call this a passion of mine - because I have seen the results in myself and my family. My 2 yr old is never sick(except the Chicken Pox), and hasn't had ear infections or allergies....he was born 5 weeks premature, and even his dr. can't believe how healthy he is!
I can say though that learning to eat healthier was like learning a new language - lots of label reading and deciphering. When I decided to do it - we went cold turkey - I threw out or gave away anything that wasn't healthy! Except Coffee! I still drink some coffee (but I buy organic now:D )
We eat almost everything that other people eat (not fast food though!), I just learned to prepare it healthfully, or found healthy substitutes for convenience foods.
Okay - I could go on and on - I'll stop now!

Becky: Because of your words, I just bought his book! We need to make a change. We also joined a gym so, I'm riding this wave as long as I can. My husband east all kinds of CRAP. I like junkfood, but he LOVES the chemical stuff: Chef Boyardee, Lunchables, cheese in a can. While I don't eat that stuff, I want to do a lot better than what I'm doing. My director has also inspired me. Her husband is a Chiropractor and they just eat so much better than we do, its embarrassing! I want to be more educated, not to mention, healthier!

AJPratt said:
Becky: Because of your words, I just bought his book! We need to make a change. We also joined a gym so, I'm riding this wave as long as I can. My husband east all kinds of CRAP. I like junkfood, but he LOVES the chemical stuff: Chef Boyardee, Lunchables, cheese in a can. While I don't eat that stuff, I want to do a lot better than what I'm doing. My director has also inspired me. Her husband is a Chiropractor and they just eat so much better than we do, its embarrassing! I want to be more educated, not to mention, healthier!

Anne - enjoy the book! My husband sounds alot like yours - but as he has seen me get healthier, it has motivated him to be healthier too.....he still eats way too much sugar, but overall, much better (partly due to the fact that I do 99% of the grocery shopping and cooking at our house;) ) As long as I was able to find some substitutes for the junk he was eating, and not nag him about the junk he still eats, he has been very supportive of the changes - he even comes home from work now and tells me how unhealthy everyone else's lunches are........
As for making changes - I think that if you even change just a few things - its better than not changing at all.....if you need support or help with anything, just let me know!

Well, thank you! I told him about our "conversation" and he looked like a deer in the headlights. LOL I do not plan on giving up things I love like ice cream or chocolate, and don't expect him to give up the things he loves either, just cut them back a bit.

AJPratt said:
Well, thank you! I told him about our "conversation" and he looked like a deer in the headlights. LOL I do not plan on giving up things I love like ice cream or chocolate, and don't expect him to give up the things he loves either, just cut them back a bit.

Actually - chocolate is an antioxidant - and you will be happy to know, recommended in the book:D Ice Cream is something we haven't given up either - just learned some moderation! Actually, we really haven't given up much of anything - just learned healthier ways of preparing, or found better brands.....if you came to my house for dinner, you wouldn't have to be scared about what I might feed you;) And when I am someone else's guest - I don't worry at all about what I'm eating. (it's all about moderation!)

ChefBeckyD said:
Actually - chocolate is an antioxidant - and you will be happy to know, recommended in the book:D Ice Cream is something we haven't given up either - just learned some moderation! Actually, we really haven't given up much of anything - just learned healthier ways of preparing, or found better brands.....if you came to my house for dinner, you wouldn't have to be scared about what I might feed you;) And when I am someone else's guest - I don't worry at all about what I'm eating. (it's all about moderation!)
That's very comforting to know! I have to admit, when I was at conference, my director was PMSing and couldn't get enough chocolate. I was in my glory!!!

What about Splenda?...
Schel

I just wanted to say that when my Mother passed away from a brain anuersym(sp) at 53 years old. The first thing the nuerologist asked us was 'how much diet soda did she consume?' ~The scarey thing....she was addicted to diet pepsi. She drank more than a 2 litre a day. This was 17 years ago. I have not consumed any diet products since and will NEVER give my children anything with ANY sort of diet chemical in it. (I don't buy regular soda either). This whole thing is just so scarey. It seems like more and more people are having reactions to these chemicals. I read an article about how the health of Gulf War vets was put at risk because they drank diet soda that contained Nutrasweet that was exposed to extreme temperatures....so now nutrasweet has dissapeared and splenda is all the rage....makes ya wonder.

From what I have heard frrom some Gulf War I buddies, Most of the soda's were palatized in the states and shipped over to the Gulf via Military Cargo. As they were received in Saudi or Kuwait etc, the pallets stayed on the tarmac under the blazing sun. When the sodas heated up the aspartame tunred to FORMALDEHYDE!. Alot of the GW Vets came back sick and the govt still has not really said it was poisoning from the heated up soda's. But as you know, alot of the vets are still sick with no recourse.

I have an ex boyfriend that was in the Gulf War and he said the soda would sit for days before it was assigned to them. he came back feeling sick. And from what I hear he is doing well now.

But a good friend of mine gets migraines if she drinks aspartame.
My hubby gets a migraine if he drinks Pepsi.

bUt I have to admit I am addicted to soda. Usually Mtn Dew, but Im drinking the new Diet Pepsi Jazz Strawberries & cream. It has aspartame. I think I may lay off of this one.

shano said:
I have an ex boyfriend that was in the Gulf War and he said the soda would sit for days before it was assigned to them. he came back feeling sick. And from what I hear he is doing well now.

But a good friend of mine gets migraines if she drinks aspartame.
My hubby gets a migraine if he drinks Pepsi.

bUt I have to admit I am addicted to soda. Usually Mtn Dew, but Im drinking the new Diet Pepsi Jazz Strawberries & cream. It has aspartame. I think I may lay off of this one.

I just bought the Black Cherry Vanilla Jazz to try, I let my hubby try it and he frowned - said - all this stuff they are doing to the sodas isn't working!!

I like the Diet Black Cherry Vanilla Coke - but have tried to cut back since reading this post, I did notice a headache or two after having some. The bad thing is Target had a special on all coke products the week of conference (Wave 1) and I stocked up on like 24 cases - mostly DBCV!:(

Splenda is just as bad.

pc05mom: So sorry to hear that!

I do enjoy a soda every noe and then as a treat. I cut back drastically, we don't even have it in the house.

Don't do it if you are pregnant!!I do know that when I was pregnant, my Doctor told me to totally avoid anything Diet or with aspartame. He said it would be better for me to drink regular cola because there are bad side affects of diet colas - and they don't know what aspartame can do to an unborn baby just yet. He didn't trust Splena either. It's sad, but I was the heathiest when I was pregnant! I guess I worried a lot more about my babies than I do myself!! I don't really drink colas - once a week - one can maybe. But I'm worried about my hubby! He used to drink 3-4 cokes a day. But he started packing on the pounds. Now he drinks 3-4 DIET Cokes a day. He doesn't drink coffee, instead he will be downing a Diet Coke by 8:30 am! Yuck!! I've tried to get him to sub water for it, but he usually gives up.
Just my input!!
Joanne

My News Years Resolution was to stop drinking soda. I did for 5 months. The first few days were bad because I was into caffine w/drawel. Because I dont drink coffee and my teas are decaf.
In JUne I started drinking soda again. One bottle a day. What got me back on it was my hubby. He loves Coke- Cola. Pepsi gives him a migraine.
But I went looking on the net and nothing seems to be too healthy. Whether its aspartame or splenda or equal. So who knows? No matter what dont let it sit in the heat.

I'm glad I don't like pop and prefer Coffee. Now... don't get on me about caffeine!!!
Schel

Caffeine can actually be good for you in moderation. For me, it helps when I have an asthma attack.

Ok- so is it safe to say-we can drink water? I do not like water but I'll drink more of it if I can get my memory back! My kids give me a hard time because I forget things so easily. I am 35 and don't think I should be having this problem- Guess I'll be cutting out the diet cokes! I need to anyway- but not my sugar free french vanilla creamer with my coffee!!!! I cannot bring myself to do that! It's made with splenda.
Thanks for all the info-

I totally agree that all these artificial items are horrible for you. But my husband on the other hand tells me that I am just over reacting, he states there are studies proving that it is okay to use these items. And he is always going against my wishes and giving it to my children. So, I have done something that a lot of mothers would say is bad, but I tell my children exactly how bad it is for them and that they are not to drink it. And I know that my husband still buys them diet drinks when I am not around, like if they go somewhere and I am not there they will come home with a diet drink. Of course, what 8 and 11 y/o would not want a pop if it was offered to them!!

Cheryl

This has been such an interesting discussion. Just the past weekend I saw a friend that I hadn't seen for a couple of years and thought she had really piled on the weight. When we were talking she said how she had just found out that she is allergic to aspartame. She had some friends look up the aspartame effects on the internet and she had all the classic symptoms of an allergy to aspartame. Then this series of discussions were on the computer! I have a lot of joint pain and feel tired all the time. Am going to work on cutting out anything with aspartame and see what happens. Thanks for the info. You guys are the best.!!

Since my Mum came off aspartame her MS symptoms and migraines have improved. They're not gone, but they've improved. I am NOT a fan of artificial sweeteners at all! I'd rather have the calories of sugar.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• heather9892
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
The_Kitchen_Guy
Back