• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Best Dog Breeds for Families with Kids: Pugs, Labs, Beagles, and More!

In summary, the research suggests that a Pug or Puggles, a Labs, a Beagle, or a Shar Pei mix may be a good fit for our family.
KellyTheChef
Gold Member
We have three kids: 15 DD, 12 DS, 2 DS.

I am looking into pounds and rescue shelters for a dog for us. I want something that will be GOOD with our 2 year old, that doesn't shed a ton, that does NOT require "grooming" (as in clipping hair, etc.) and that isn't larger than 50#.

Researching online, I have continually come up with these dogs that would be a good fit for us: Pugs or Puggles, (pug/beagle) labs, beagles, (not really drawn to these myself) Dashounds, and other mixed breeds. Anyone have a boxer mix or a Shar Pei mix?

I have Samoyed/Border Collie mix currently (2)...used to have German Shephard/Husky and before that German Shephard/Collie. My current ones are the BIGGEST babies with the kids, but will protect the house, but shed like crazy and are about 70 lbs.

I do have 2 friends who always had boxers growing up...the shedding didn't seem too bad and they were ery good dogs. I think 1 got over 50 lbs. though.

My brother has a black lab and I've always liked the temperment of labs...

...good luck looking! :)

I don't have either of the mixes that you are talking about, but just wanted to put in my 2 cents about two of the breeds that you mentioned...Every dachshund that I have ever seen is extremely snippy and temperamental. Having a 2yo that wants to be in the face of the dog is not a good mix. As far as a lab is concerned, since you are looking for a 50# dog, that would probably be the BLACK lab. Nice dogs, but high strung. I have known about 5 different people that have had a black lab and they all say the same thing. My brother-in-law's has ripped the molding off of the wall and shredded blinds. Yellow & Chocolate labs have great dispositions, but they are your larger labs.

I don't have the two you're asking about, but we have a lab. (a chocolate one named Hershey!) My dad always had labs when I was growning up. They are awesome dogs! It would probably overwhelm your 2 yr old right now with licks! My 3 yr old isn't scared of ours anymore. Definately not in your under 50 pounds category though! Ours is 95 lbs; of course he's a male & males are generally bigger than females. They are such sweeties though; very good temperments with families--they just require a walk every day! Some shed more than others.

We had a Weimeriner (sp?) for several years and she was in the house with our children and our day care kids... we loved her and she us. While she was very playful and could zoom around like wildfire outside, she was VERY careful around the children. They are very short haired and very trainable and obedient. We loved her dearly... enough said... sigh ....

Sounds like maybe you should try a Bichon Frise. They have hypo allergenic fur and don't require a whole lot. They are also small and can travel easily with you in your car. I don't have one of these, but I did have a westie and those require a ton of grooming or they look like overgrown weeds. We have a lab currently and he's huge and eats a ton. I had a boxer/lab mix and the thing was so hyper, he jumped up on a guest and bloodied her nose (as well as always got off his chain to run) so that he eventually had to go. He was way too big and kept knocking down the kids. It's going to depend alot on the personality of the puppy and the way you raise them. I've also had a rott that was the biggest baby in the world.

We have 5 (yes, 5) yellow labs. They are outside. They are absolutely wonderful with our kids. We have Grandpa Bo (he's 10), his pups Sami (female) & Matty (male) and his grandsons Teddy & Rollie. The grandkids are pups still, just 9 weeks old. They are all so good with the kids. Even Bo lets the kids pull on him & climb all over him.

Again, not in your 50# range, but we really love our labs! :)

we had a jack russell/rat terrier mix and have a beagle. we had to get rid of the jack rat because she was mean to the kids and the beagle. she snapped at the kids and would eat the other dogs food. since we got rid of her the beagle plays with the kids all the time and lays in their laps. i don't remember the website but there is one you can find that lists all sorts of dogs and tells you if they are good with kids or not.

We rescued two puppies from rescue leagues through PetFinder.com last summer. There is usually an adoption fee included but for us it covered the dogs being micro chipped and spayed/neutered. Our black lab is definitly high strung as described by overthyme. Chewes everything from rockings chairs, stairs, shoes, anything he can get his mouth around, except for the $200 in chew toys we bought! The other pup is a husky yellow lab, and she is perfect, but lots of shedding.

Getting a dog is like having another child, a large commitment of time, energy, and money. If you have all three to spare they make a wonderful addition to your family. Good Luck!!!!

http://www.puppyfinder.com/breedselector_size.php

This is a great resource - Even short hair breeds will shed but if you bath and brush them on a regular basis it will cut down on the shedding

I have two Eskies so I know about shedding - See pictures of some of our dogs in the damily and friends section of CS.

You want to also consider energy levels of the dog if it will be an indoor dog - If it will be outdoors you need to consider getting two dogs or your pup will feel very lonely The are very sociable animals and need a companion.

Last edited:
We have a dachshund and although we don't have any small children in the house, when my nieces and nephews visit with their children he is always good with them.

I think the trick to any dog being good with kids is to get them when they are puppies, and to NEVER hit them or mistreat them in any way. That is when they become defensive.

Our dachshund is a little wuss. He barks at people but then runs and hides when they come close....and when you tell him to "lay down", he roll onto his back and waves his paws at you until you rub his tummy....he's so silly!

WE have a maltipooWe have a maltipoo puppy named Muffin (mixture of a toy poodle and a maltese poodle). He is so cute and playful. Great with kids and other animals. He never sheds and we get him groomed once every three months. HE's very energetic and gentle with our babies. He is all white and weighs about 6-8 pounds. I think that's as big as he's gonna get. He will be one in August. Does anyone know how big these dogs get? I'm assuming he'll be small forever!! I hope! :p

We are also getting a German Shepherd because I love them. That is my favorite breed of large dog. They are very smart, protective and great with kids. Of course we plan to get him as a puppy to get him used to the kids, and other pets (Muffin, Cat).

Debbie :D

Attachments

• PETS.doc
    1.1 MB · Views: 388
Hi Kelly!

We have two wonderful and family friendly Boxers we got from a boxer rescue group here in New York State (there are several through out the nation).
We were looking for a good family dog our kids could play with and lay on the floor with to play etc.. My Mom actually mentioned the boxer she had when my sisters were younger (I wasn't in the picture yet) and what a good dog she was.
We started looking and we were very impressed with the work the rescue groups do. We adopted our first, a female in March of last year (my daughters now best friend). Then they called us in November saying they had a male they wondered if we would be interested in fostering. Well we took him in and feel in love and he has never left!!!
We are so happy with our choice. If you would like more info on the breed let me know and I will have someone from the group email you.

This is the web address for the group we went through
www.boxerangelsrescue.com

HTH-Kelly :)

We don't have a dog yet, but I'm looking too, and I've got a scared of big dogs almost 8 year old, a 7 yr. old and a 3 1/2 yr. old.

I've got 2 different friends who breed different dogs and I can tell you if you're looking for pure breed, what and see how they handle the pups, etc.

I've got a friend who does mini daschund (sp) (long and short haired) and she's very cautious of who touches and how much activity they get etc. Nie dogs, but can be snippy as someone mentioned. One thing, if you've got little ones who like to pick them up, not the best, as they have fragile backs and are easily broke.

I've got another friend Joy, who does bicon's, poodles (who are VERY smart), and pekinese (sp) and I know I'd for sure get one from her, as she's got kids with serious special needs and all the kids are allowed to pet and take care of the pups, and she's got them piddle pad trained and even sometimes out door trained before they leave her home. She's got the best disposition animals I've ever seen, and as I've said, she's got children with very serious needs, but especially those bicon's they are almost little therapy dogs for her kiddoes.

I'm just not sure what we'll get when we get, but I know if I'm going to go pure breed route, who I'll go to. Ask friends and family and get recommendations. Or even go with rescue places, my friend Joy also takes in hurt and abondoned dogs and trains them so they can go back out with "real" families again.

Good Luck with your search and let us know what you decide on.

Lisa

DebbieSAChef said:
We are also getting a German Shepherd because I love them. That is my favorite breed of large dog. They are very smart, protective and great with kids. Of course we plan to get him as a puppy to get him used to the kids, and other pets (Muffin, Cat).

Debbie :D

We used to have a German Shepherd and a Golden Retriever. They were both great dogs, but our Shepherd was my baby. He was almost 3yo when my son was born and I have pix of him laying on the bed beside him "watching over" my son. They are just naturally protective and should be great with your kids. There is definitely A LOT of hair, though.:rolleyes:

I think German Shepherds are wonderful with kids...I just don't want THAT much hair all over my house! We are driving about 40 minutes away this afternoon to go look at some puppies that are at a rescue home. They are part lab part boxer part ??? Thank you ALL so much for the response here! I have been praying that God would lead us to the right dog. I took my 12 yr. DSS and 2 yr DS yesterday to the dog pound and then to the humane society. The one's that I liked, were already spoken for. My 12 yr. old was very bummed out that we didn't get one, but he just really wants a dog NOW!! He's not thinking along the same lines I am: as in, what would be the best for our family. 12 yr. olds don't really think long term, huh?!?!

These are the ones we will be seeing today:
http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=8108996
Wish me luck!

We have two dogs. One is a lab/doberman mix and although he runs around 75-80 lbs., he thinks he is a lap dog! We adopted him from a shelter 6 years ago when he was rescued from an abusive home. Best decision we ever made. This past September, we decided to adopt a Pembroke Corgi (full-breed) to keep him company and that was the 2nd best decision we everf made! She's adorable and small (about 20 lbs) and she loves love! The two dogs are now inseparable! Both dogs shed, although the little much less than the big guy, but aside from that, there is very little other grooming necessary for either dog.

Let us know what you end up choosing!

Mary

I have 2 dachshunds and a great dane. The Dachshunds are awesome with kids. I absolutely love them. They are stubborn and take care of the house too. HEHE. I love that. Noone is getting in with out you knowing . They are cuddly and loveing. They are the cutest puppies in the world. The funnier part is that my 165lb Great Dane thinks he is one....LOL Let me find a pic.

Attachments

• House-Land-Dogs 022 (Small).jpg
    House-Land-Dogs 022 (Small).jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 381
  • Puppy Stromboli 010 (Small) (2).jpg
    Puppy Stromboli 010 (Small) (2).jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 407
  • Puppy Stromboli 012 (Small).jpg
    Puppy Stromboli 012 (Small).jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 435
  • Cruise-Logan-Bahamas 022 (Small).jpg
    Cruise-Logan-Bahamas 022 (Small).jpg
    18 KB · Views: 347
I love, love, love my Golden Retriever. They are great with kids, very smart, easy to train, and wants to please us. They do get a bit bigger than what you were looking for, defiantly needs to be groomed, and must be with the family inside the house, they do not like to be alone outside all the time.
Just remember it's all how the owner deals with their pet and how they will turn out. We stated training our Golden the day we got her at 6 weeks. She is now 8 months and behaves so well that we forget she is still a pup. Also, if you are going to have pets there will always be some sort of mess, but it is so rewarding to have them. Sorry, I am a big animal lover and I get so upset at those people out there that think the can get a pet and do nothing about working with them. Then they get upset because the pet doesn't behave and turn them into a shelter or dump them. If you don't have time to love and work with them then don't get any. Not that you would do that. Just felt I needed to say that since I don't usually get to. Anyway...Here is a website that has some good info. on Goldens . There is a lot of info on Goldens just by searching the web. And of course, other breeds too.
I have had many dogs and other pets every since I was born. I do have to say out of the dogs I have had the Golden Retriever breed if my favorite.
It sounds like you are doing your research and I congraulate you on doing that before you get a dog. Good Luck on finding the perfect match for your family and have fun to.

chefmary said:
We have two dogs. One is a lab/doberman mix and although he runs around 75-80 lbs., he thinks he is a lap dog! We adopted him from a shelter 6 years ago when he was rescued from an abusive home. Best decision we ever made. This past September, we decided to adopt a Pembroke Corgi (full-breed) to keep him company and that was the 2nd best decision we everf made! She's adorable and small (about 20 lbs) and she loves love! The two dogs are now inseparable! Both dogs shed, although the little much less than the big guy, but aside from that, there is very little other grooming necessary for either dog.

Let us know what you end up choosing!

Mary
Mary~

Our last dog was a lab/doberman mix (we think! She was abandoned and we picked her up when she was about 3 months old) and she was sooooooo good with our oldest two! (They were about 3 and 6 at the time.) But, about 4 years ago, she started having hip problems. We got her on glucosomene (sp??) tablets daily and boy did they help! But, I think she was still worried when our little one came along that he was going to hurt her. By the time he started walking, she would growl at him if he even came within 3 feet of her! (and he never did anything to her...) She even tried to nip at him a couple of times. So, she is now at a family friend's and is doing very well...she even has a "sister" (dog) to play with!

I felt so bad giving her away, but she is with someone I trust and who loves her just as much as we do! Plus, I would have been devistated if she would have ever bitten my little one!

The first dog I had was a golden retriever. BEST DOG in the whole world. We have a picture of me asleep on her outside in the mud. She used to lay there while I made mud cakes on her. And even jumped between me and another dog when I was riding my bike. I was so upset when she ran away. So i suggest a Godlen Retriever. Good luck with the search.

We have 2, black lab 7 years and golden retriever 1 1/2 years . So I have hair both ways. black and white.... The golden sheds way more... But is very soft... I truly love both of my dogs. Both so gentle, and kid friendly. I believe if you start dogs out with lots of kids they tend to be aware of them pulling,tugging and etc... Good luck on deciding.

4 of my last 5 dogs were/are Beagles. I think raised with children ( mine werent) they will be fine. Yes Beagles are dopey & they want to follow their nose, but if they are in a large fenced in area, running around with children I bet the kids will poop[ out first!:D
Love My Beagles....:cool:

Just posted a pic & Kacy & I in the photos section

Last edited:
We have a beagle mix. I have two boys ages 6 & 4 and she is wonderful with them. She doesn't shed much, only a little. and she weighes about 20 lbs or so.. When I was little we had an Irish Setter and I loved her so much. She was the calmest dog and she was great with us kids. I wish we could get another one but I can't ever seem to find one. We live next door to my DH grandparents and they has an Australian Huskie. I do not like the that dog. It weighes about 50 or more lbs and he barks at everything and everybody. He does ok with the boys but he is always in their face.

Growing up - we had a border collie - she was the most amazing dog! Smart, and VERY protective of us kids.....one time during the winter my dad was outside playing with us in the snow, and we were all screaming and running from him - well when he tried to chase us, she grabbed hold of his snow pants, growling at him, and actually ripped a hole in his pants!!! But with us kids, she was always extremely gentle. I remember looking outside one day to see my baby brother banging on her tail w/ a rubber mallet - she laid right there next to him, took his hand in her mouth, and moved it away from her tail, all while he just kept on hammering away!

As an Adult - last March we had to put our 17 yr old Shih Tzu to sleep.....one of the hardest things we've ever had to do. She was so good, loved children - even before we had our son, whenever kids would come over she would run and get her toys to give to them. Shih Tzu's don't shed and are pretty hypo-allergenic (DH has an allergy to most dogs) When we would walk her, we had to stop anyplace that there were kids because she had to say hello! She was also very quiet - the only time she barked was when she was playing, or when another dog or cat would wander into our backyard - she didn't bark at them out in public - just when they came into "her" yard.
Even when she got really old, she NEVER tried to snip at anyone or bite them -even children who got in her face. I could go on and on about how smart she was, we really miss her. When we get another dog it will be a Shih Tzu again.

We have a Boxer, female. She's been with our 4 kids for 9 years and we wouldn't ever buy another breed. I read books on them before I bought her. She's only 63 pounds....med sized and has short hair and doesn't need a lot of grooming. I bathe her and take her to the vet to get her nails trimmed and shots. She's very healthy and great with ANY kid! My youngest fell off the couch about 2 years ago onto her and all she did was get up and lick my baby (because she was crying) to see if she was okay. The baby has pulle dher boobs and she never even growled! She's been a blessing with all of the kids. I can't imagine life without her. Even when my son had a friend over, the friend got sick and we called home to have someone pick him up. His grandpa came to get him and walked in the house....my dog got between the kid and grandpa and barked. She had adopted my son's friend! She has never bitten anyone and is so lovable. She's 9 and thinks she's still 3! She looks mean (some people get them mixed up with Pit Bulls which makes me laugh because they are soooooo loving!) but would knock anyone down to lick them to death! Everyone is terrified when she comes to the door but I like for strangers to think that! She's almost maintenance free and that makes me love her even more! With 4 kids, I think I'd go crazy with a high maintenance dog! It'd be like having one more kid!

I have a Siberian Husky, and though I love her to bits, I think I'd avoid one if I were you! She sheds, and she's a wild child! Open the door a crack, and she's a goner if you're not paying attention! She wants to greet EVERYONE with a kiss in the face, which actually works out better for kids because she doesn't jump up to get to their face! I think I got the nutcase of the litter, though! The things we love about her? She's SO SO smart, always ready to go out for a jog, doesn't ever bark (unless she's playing), and very entertaining!

I have a ****er spaniel. She's about 18 pounds and we get her groomed every 6-8 weeks (keep her coat short). She's great with kids, babies, other dogs and loves people too! She doesn't shed.

UpdateWell, our family has one new member!

She is one of the brown (actually reddish brown) dogs pictured in these pictures. http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/...?petid=8108996

Her Mom was there...it's a rescue place for pregnant dogs. Her Mom was hours away from being put down (and all the puppies, too, since she was pregant) when this lady and her group saved her! They think the dad was a black lab (who actually got put down...even though they tried to save him too...long story she didn't get into with me) and the Mom is about 35-40 pounds and looks like the brown puppies. She is shorter and thinner than a Doberman, and her hair is short like a Doberman's. The vet told her that the mother is probably a little mix of everything! The lady at the rescue place that has been taking care of them said the mother is very laid back and good with kids! Now to training her! :eek:

We are all excited to have her in the family, even our 13# cat Oreo likes her!

Thanks for all of the advice!!

Congratulations!!!

I wanna see the new dog... but the link isn't working... Kelly can you post a pic or give me a different link please??? looking forward to seeing your new family member!

lacychef said:
I don't have the two you're asking about, but we have a lab. (a chocolate one named Hershey!) My dad always had labs when I was growning up. They are awesome dogs! It would probably overwhelm your 2 yr old right now with licks! My 3 yr old isn't scared of ours anymore. Definately not in your under 50 pounds category though! Ours is 95 lbs; of course he's a male & males are generally bigger than females. They are such sweeties though; very good temperments with families--they just require a walk every day! Some shed more than others.

Sounds like my Ollie! A Chocolate Lab who at 90 lbs and 18 months old thinks he is still a lap dog. We will be adding to our family this year with either a chocolate or yellow girl. Her name will be Zoey. My kids chose the names....just so you know! LOL!!

erinyourpclady said:
Sounds like my Ollie! A Chocolate Lab who at 90 lbs and 18 months old thinks he is still a lap dog. We will be adding to our family this year with either a chocolate or yellow girl. Her name will be Zoey. My kids chose the names....just so you know! LOL!!

Oh and by the way...I went with a Chocolate lab because he matches my color scheme! Actually he barely sheds at all......you would be hard pressed to find dog hair in my house. I attached a picture of him in his favorite position......:D

Attachments

• Frogdog.jpg
    Frogdog.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 340
Erin that is a hilarious picture! and I love that you picked him to go with your color scheme -- sounds like something I would do :)

Erin~ He is adorable! I have always thought chocolate labs were the prettiest color for labs! I can't believe how BIG he is, though! 90 pounds is a lot of dog! Glad to hear he doesn't shed for you!

Alison~ I will try and get another picture and get it downloaded to my computer so I can show you!

Ours is the one kind of in the center top...reddish brown with black muzzle!
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t24/KellyTheChef/PuppyLitter.jpg

Kelly,
Whats the new babies name? Sooooooooooo Cute....I put a pic in the photo section of me & my girl. :D

We have narrowed it down, but don't have a name yet. Bella, Stella, or Emma. We all really like Bella, but my SIL has a dog with the same name. So, I think we are leaning towards Stella.

Ginger is so cute! Growing up I had a dog named Ginger! She was part beagle and part weiner dog. She was a good dog!

How cute - the middle two look just like our two when they were puppies...they are Samoyed/Border Collie mix...

How adorable:)
When I was at Walmart last week, there were some girls giving away puppies outside the door that looked kinda like those....so tempting!

Well....I breed Great Danes...so not in your pound requirements..hehehe..but awesome, kind, very gentle dogs!!!!!!!!!!

What cute puppies - enjoy them!

I vote for Emma

I can see her running down the street you chasing her yelling STELLA, STELLA

My DSS just finalized her name: Stella it is!

Stella is so cute!!!!!!!!!!! Congratulations on your adoption of Stella !!!!!!!!

austrilian shepherds are wondeful with kids. we used to have one. my favorite dog ever. we would have an 8 month old over who would crawl into bandits faces and even pull his hair. bandit only moved his head (in an "oh bother" manner). i heard of a aussie that stated barking at the stairs. the mom came over and saw him laying across the stairs because the baby was on the stairs in danger.

i loved my aussie! very sweet. but he was playful outside too. LOVED Frisbee!

STELLA

(Be sure to read this as an agonized, drawn out, raspy yell) Sorry, I couldn't stop myself.

She's so cute! Enjoy.

I have a daschund and have had them for year. We have a long haired right now and he does not shed. They are great with children. I like that mine is protective of my son and no one is going to mess with him as long as Momo is around. Luke pulls him by the ears and tugs and does everything to him and Momo is awesome with him. They are a little hard to house train but they are wonderful pets.

We named him Romeo but my son could not say that, so, he became Momo.

sarahmarie said:
austrilian shepherds are wondeful with kids. we used to have one. my favorite dog ever. we would have an 8 month old over who would crawl into bandits faces and even pull his hair. bandit only moved his head (in an "oh bother" manner). i heard of a aussie that stated barking at the stairs. the mom came over and saw him laying across the stairs because the baby was on the stairs in danger.

i loved my aussie! very sweet. but he was playful outside too. LOVED Frisbee!

My parents have 2 aussies. One is not so good with strangers, especially kids. The other one will lick you to death!!! I love them, but holy cow!!! THE SHEDDING!!!!

1. What are the best dog breeds for families with kids?

Pugs, labs, beagles, and other mixed breeds are often recommended as great family dogs due to their friendly, playful, and gentle nature.

2. How can I find a dog that will be good with my 2-year-old?

When adopting from a shelter or rescue, it's important to look for a dog that has a history of being good with children. You can also try to meet and interact with the dog before adopting to see how they behave around your child.

3. Do any of these breeds shed a lot?

Pugs and beagles are moderate shedders, while labs are heavy shedders. Mixed breeds can vary in their shedding levels, so it's best to research the specific mix you are interested in.

4. Do any of these breeds require grooming?

Pugs and beagles have short coats that do not require much grooming, while labs may need occasional brushing. Mixed breeds may have a combination of traits from their parent breeds, so it's best to research the grooming needs of the specific mix you are interested in.

5. Are there any size limitations for these recommended breeds?

Pugs, beagles, and most mixed breeds are typically under 50 pounds, while labs can range from 55-80 pounds. It's important to consider the size of your home and your ability to handle a larger dog when choosing a breed.

Back