• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Testing Cookware with an Ice Cube: What's It All About?

In summary, at the show, Jennifer demonstrated how to put an ice cube in the pan and show it melt, demonstrating the superior heat transfer rate of Executive cookware. She also demonstrated how to thaw a frozen chicken in the foam tray of an ice cream scoop.
Dawn4
Gold Member
I've heard you guys mention doing a test on the cookware with an ice cube. Can somebody tell me what that's all about??? :confused:

I would also like to know! I thought you put an ice cube in the pan and pass it around to show it melt. I did that for a friend of mine and we took out my old crappy pan also and put an ice cube in it and nothing different happened. Both ice cubes melted at the same pace, not sure what I am supposed to tell my guests.

Jennifer

You put the ice cube in to feel the distribution of the coldness throughout the pan and up the sides.

You do the icecube in the ice cream dipper to see how fast they melt.

The set up - I use two ice cubes, a Styrofoam plate, and our saute pan.The way I do it, and I've been asked to perform this at cluster meetings, is to say, "I need a volunteer from the audience, preferably somebody really hot blooded!" (That always gets a giggle from an all-female audience when a guy says it - you may have to adjust the line for your own style.)The patter goes along like this..."We're all great cooks here, right?" nodding as I say it to get everyone nodding and used to saying, "Yes," (which makes it easier to get them to say YES when ordering later) and we all plan our meals says in advance, so we can remember to pull the frozen chicken out of the freezer to thaw thoroughly for tomorrow, right?" Of course, everyone is laughing now. "Of course not, we pull the chicken out of the freezer, still wrapped from [name of local supermarket] and we flop it on the counter. Anyone know what the thermal transfer rate is for Styrofoam?" Everyone laughs - "About zip - that's why they make coolers and insulation from it! How fast do you think that chicken is gonna thaw in that foam tray?"I ask the volunteer to hold the saute pan in the flat of her outstretched hand. "I'm going to put an ice cube on the foam plate here, and one in the pan that our hot-blooded friend is holding."The ice begins to melt immediately...and when asked, the volunteer says she feels the cold. "That's the superior heat transfer rate built into our Executive cookware, it comes from the titanium-aluminum alloy. That is what gives you even heat for superior cooking...[blah blah blah]."About ten minutes later, I ask for another volunteer to hold the ice cream scoop, then pick up the foam plate. "How well has your chicken defrosted?" Of course, the cube is still almost whole. More giggles...and I put the ice cube in the bucket of the ice cream scoop and pitch the scoop. I also remind them they can take the frozen chickie out of the foam, put it in our Executive skillet, and the ambient room temperature will quickly defrost the chicken.Sold a 12" family skillet at my last show by doing that, and that customer is booking in September to get the rest of the set.

You say blah, blah, blah???

Come on now ... I'm sure it's not copywrited or anything ... those of us taking notes really want to know what you say .... ;)

Of course I don't. ;) You probably know more about Executive cookware than I do.

Actually, I can picture KG saying, "blah, blah, blah" at his shows. :D

You don't listen to me, either.

Did someone say something?

I put a few ice cubes in my 8 inch saute and talk about the great features of our cookware then I pour them out, dry the pan and pass it around so everyone can feel that the entire pan is ice cold from just a few ice cubes, and a very short amount of time. Then I explain that it works the same with heat, but I don't get invited back when I do this demo with a hot pan. And I talk about the what a difference this makes when you are using a larger pan at home.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Of course I don't. ;) You probably know more about Executive cookware than I do.

Seriously, I've decided that I'm winging it too much at my shows. I'm forcing myself to actually learn a script to talk about various products - particularly the 4 major collections. I'm hoping it will increase my show average and sales of these particular lines.

Pretty much everyone I know now has the mix n chop and a food chopper... :rolleyes:

Don't try to recite a memorized script, though. Just learn your points, or use note cards, and follow the track. The skits at NC were perfect demonstrations of what happens if you get thrown off script - certain wheels in our company can't recover when they get off script, and they also appear stiff reciting their prepared lines. Jean is a stitch - and she knows how to ad lib when necessary.

I have a script I have developed for my opening, and my closing. I have also scripted certain parts of my presentation for cookware and stoneware. But for the most part - I have an outline that I use - it changes with every show depending on the show type.....but having an outline to refer to helps me to remember to say what I want to say.
I think it is good to write out what you want to say - but to use it just as a guide. I'm sure the HO people have a script they use because they are on a pretty tight schedule and if they all started ad-libbing, things could go long in a hurry. I bet by 3rd wave, they were more comfortable on stage.

But with that said - I do tend to agree w/ KG - a total script can sound canned.....and for me, I like to be able to gauge the crowd and adjust my show from there. The more shows you do, the better you will be able to do this.

Thanks for the explanation. I'm going to feel pretty silly when I explain to my friend that we watched ice melt for no reason :D !

Jennifer

Related to Testing Cookware with an Ice Cube: What's It All About?

What is the purpose of testing cookware with an ice cube?

The purpose of testing cookware with an ice cube is to determine its heat distribution and retention capabilities. This test is commonly used to evaluate the quality and performance of cookware.

How do you perform the ice cube test on cookware?

To perform the ice cube test, simply place a few ice cubes on the bottom of the pan and turn on the heat. The ice cubes should melt and spread evenly throughout the pan. This will show how well the pan conducts and distributes heat.

What does it mean if the ice cube melts unevenly in the pan?

If the ice cube melts unevenly, it could indicate that the pan has hot spots and does not distribute heat evenly. This can result in uneven cooking and burnt or undercooked food.

Can the ice cube test be used on all types of cookware?

Yes, the ice cube test can be used on most types of cookware, including stainless steel, non-stick, and cast iron. However, it may not be as accurate for cookware with non-flat or curved surfaces.

Is the ice cube test the only way to test cookware quality?

No, the ice cube test is just one method of testing cookware. Other methods include the water drop test, the oil drop test, and the oven test. It is recommended to use a combination of these tests to get a more accurate assessment of cookware quality.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• KayPT
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
reneenshelcook4u
Replies
Views
jrstephens
  • ChefEmie
  • Products and Tips
Replies