• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Should Sour Cream-Containing Recipes Always Be Refrigerated?

In summary, the conversation is about the use of sour cream in recipes and whether or not they need to be refrigerated. The individual is concerned about selling pies with sour cream as an ingredient at a farmer's market and is seeking advice on whether or not they need to be refrigerated. Others in the conversation suggest keeping the pies cool and refrigerating them, as well as erring on the side of caution when it comes to dishes containing eggs or dairy products. Overall, it is recommended to refrigerate any dishes containing sour cream to ensure freshness and safety.
straitfan
Gold Member
Question--I'm the advanced foods leader for our 4-H club. We're making pies tomorrow and then taking them into the local farmer's market to sell. I have a recipe for a Sour Cream Apple pie. The sour cream actually goes into a batter that is then baked in the pie crust for about an hour. It doesn't say it has to be refrigerated. (I even called the lady I got the recipe from, and she says she never worries about refrigerating it.) I looked up a similar recipe on allrecipes.com and it says in the introduction "this recipe contains both sour cream and eggs, be sure to keep refrigerated". Well that got me to thinking..if I had to refrigerate everything with eggs in it......I'd need a walk-in cooler!

Then a neighbor came over and said that she was wondering if she could make these lemon-date quick breads to make as they also have sour cream as an ingredient.

Just wondering if this would work for us to take, or if there would be a spoilage issue.

Please weigh in with your opinions/experiences!
TIA

I think if it's cooked it should be ok. It's the filling for the pie right?
I would just try to keep it cool (maybe put it in a bigger pan with ice under it or something), I wouldn't leave it in direct sun or out if it's super hot.

The bread I think should be fine no matter what.

Could you maybe leave them in a fridge and have one on display?? Or keep it in a cooler someplace cool?

Once it's cooked, the sour cream won't be an issue. Like Ann suggested, I wouldn't leave it out in the hot sun for hours on end, but it should be okay otherwise.

Hello, as a pampered chef consultant, I have a lot of experience with recipes that contain sour cream. In my opinion, it is always better to err on the side of caution and refrigerate any dishes that contain eggs or dairy products. This will ensure that the food stays fresh and safe to consume. While some recipes may not explicitly state the need for refrigeration, it is always better to be safe than sorry. Regarding the lemon-date quick breads, I would also recommend refrigerating them to prevent any potential spoilage. I hope this helps and good luck with your pie making and selling at the farmer's market!

What is the recommended way to store sour cream?

The best way to store sour cream is in the refrigerator. Make sure to keep it at a temperature below 40°F to prevent bacterial growth.

How long can sour cream be left out at room temperature?

Sour cream should not be left out at room temperature for more than 2 hours. After that time, it should be refrigerated to prevent spoilage.

Can sour cream be frozen for later use?

Yes, sour cream can be frozen for later use. However, when thawed, the texture may become slightly grainy. It is best to use frozen sour cream in cooked dishes rather than as a topping.

How long does sour cream typically last in the refrigerator?

Sour cream typically has a shelf life of about 2 weeks in the refrigerator, as long as it is properly stored and the expiration date has not passed.

What are some signs that sour cream has gone bad?

Some signs that sour cream has gone bad include a foul odor, mold growth, or a discolored or curdled appearance. If you notice any of these, it is best to discard the sour cream.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
byrd1956
  • pampermejolene
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Ann F
Replies
Views
flemings99