• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Maximizing Flash Drive Storage: Tips for Editing and Organizing Files on a PC

In summary, if you want to store your documents on a flash drive, you can do so. However, be aware that a flash drive is just like a floppy, and they can fail. Back up your data regularly.
lisa717
OK girls...help me here...
If you store on a flash drive are you able to change things???? Like my mom has a book...can she edit it if she puts it on one?

How big of a storage should I purchase for my PC stuff?

Thank you:D

I'm a guy, so you can just ignore this if you want to...but a flash drive is just that - a read/write drive. Yes, she can edit her documents on a flash drive.Size? The bigger, the better, and they're getting cheap. My PP database is backed up on a 512Mbyte drive, and there's lots of other stuff on it, too.

LOL>>>>sorry KG..I never dreamed you'd be the first to respond.....thank you....thank you thank you!!

I use a flash drive for all of my PP stuff, and PP3 is backed up onto it. I don't know what size it is, but I know when my husband purchased it at target, it was one that they had for about $8 at the checkouts. It's not a lot of space I can remember that, but I still have plenty of space left on it.

A flash drive is the floppy of this millennium. It works just the same way - you can write and re-write to them. But, just like a floppy, they can fail and should not be considered permanent for archiving purposes.

I stated on another thread the Tiger Direct just had 2GB flash drives for $9.99. I bought a few. :)

chefann said:
A flash drive is the floppy of this millennium. It works just the same way - you can write and re-write to them. But, just like a floppy, they can fail and should not be considered permanent for archiving purposes.
The three most important words in data processing:

1. Backup.
  2. Backup.
  3. Backup.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
The three most important words in data processing:
  1. Backup.
  2. Backup.
  3. Backup.
Or just back up away from the computer - you aren't meant to use it... ;) Just had to through that in there...little IT joke...

janetupnorth said:
Or just back up away from the computer - you aren't meant to use it... ;)
That would be my in-laws. We were at their house the other day and FIL had all the same questions about the computer that he has every time we're over there. Later in the conversation, MIL tried to tell him something about it, and he told her, "I know what I'm doing when it comes to this!" It was all I could do to keep from busting into laughter.

I have a 2G Flash Drive. I backup P3 on it and my pictures on it. Still have tons of room left on it. I got mine direct from Dell.

Every time someone says, "flash," this is the image that comes to mind:http://artfiles.art.com/images/-/M-Ryerson/Expose-Yourself-to-Art-Print-C10036661.jpeg

2GB ones:Buy the Best at the Cheapest Prices at TigerDirect.com4GB ones:Buy the Best at the Cheapest Prices at TigerDirect.com...and if you watch they'll have sales cheaper.Personally, I've never noticed performance difference between "cheap" and "expensive"....just note...these are good for personal use. Most major companies are blocking USB writing capabilities in the registries to try and protect company data from being written to flash drives and USB harddrives since nowadays it is easy for people to walk off with data.I tried to get the policy in place at work in 2006, it is now in place due to mandates from CC companies that certain policies be in place if you handle CC numbers.Just a little tidbit...

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Every time someone says, "flash," this is the image that comes to mind:

http://artfiles.art.com/images/-/M-Ryerson/Expose-Yourself-to-Art-Print-C10036661.jpeg

...and if they say "flash drive" your mind goes straight to the gutter...

Try having ANY conversation in an IT department!!!!

floppies
hard drives
dual core
jump drive
browser
byte
domain
FAT
freeware
hardware
motherboard
mounting a drive
plug and play
shareware
upload
virus

...the list goes on of words that can cause a conversation to go downhill at any moment!!!! :eek:

Related to Maximizing Flash Drive Storage: Tips for Editing and Organizing Files on a PC

What is a flash drive and how does it work?

A flash drive, also known as a USB drive, is a small and portable storage device that can be used to store and transfer data. It works by plugging it into a USB port on a computer, and the data can be accessed and transferred between devices.

What are the advantages of using a flash drive?

Flash drives are very convenient and easy to use. They are small and lightweight, making them easily portable. They also have a large storage capacity, allowing you to store large amounts of data. Additionally, they are compatible with most computers and devices, making it easy to transfer data between them.

How do I use a flash drive to transfer files?

To transfer files, simply insert the flash drive into a USB port on your computer. Then, open the file explorer and locate the flash drive. You can then drag and drop the files you want to transfer onto the flash drive. Once the transfer is complete, safely eject the flash drive from your computer and it will be ready to use on another device.

What is the difference between a flash drive and an external hard drive?

The main difference between a flash drive and an external hard drive is their storage capacity. Flash drives typically have a smaller capacity, ranging from a few gigabytes to a couple of terabytes, while external hard drives can hold much larger amounts of data, ranging from a few terabytes to several petabytes. Additionally, external hard drives are usually larger and less portable than flash drives.

Can a flash drive be used for backups?

Yes, flash drives can be used for backups, but they may not be the most reliable option. Flash drives are more susceptible to physical damage and data corruption compared to external hard drives. It is recommended to use a flash drive as a secondary backup option and to regularly back up your data onto a more reliable device.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
3RingChef
Replies
Views
Stephanie78
  • quiverfull7
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Gloria&Emily