• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Is Working Full-Time Hindering My Side Business Growth?

I think people are okay with booking for a specific day. It's not too stressful in the end. It's a lot easier to get bookings on Saturday Morning/afternoons.
Kristina21
I say this because I feel like I have NO time to make calls or host coach or anything productive with the phone. I work a full time not so fun job at Staples and my boss there seems to think that having me work M-F 12pm - 8pm is helping. I hate that I can really only schedule shows on the weekends now...

I know what to do to fix my business (I literally only do one show a month) I am a future director with 2 qualified recruits...but I feel like I'm at a standstill. :( I need to use the darn phone! Anyone have a suggestion? Maybe...I'm just in a complaining mood....

Maybe someone could just kick me in the butt?

With your work hours, let your host or potential hosts know that you need a day time phone number from them. Tell them that you make your calls between 9-11 a.m. is there a good time to call them within that period. That may help at least getting some phone calls taken care of. Is there any way to talk about switching your schedule or at least getting a couple evenings off a week?

Do your 3 contacts a day in the morning. Set up a Mega Show for once a month. You can do 8-10 shows all at one time...you would need to find a place to do it.

wadesgirl said:
With your work hours, let your host or potential hosts know that you need a day time phone number from them. Tell them that you make your calls between 9-11 a.m. is there a good time to call them within that period. That may help at least getting some phone calls taken care of. Is there any way to talk about switching your schedule or at least getting a couple evenings off a week?
I tried...I can't have my normal schedule back until June 22nd :cry: I'm stuck covering the guy who took my place on the store remodel team. Why my boss thought I wanted to be gone from the end of February till the end of June I'm not sure, so a coworker took my place and now I've got his schedule because I didn't want my business to suffer...sad thing is it's suffering anyway.Oh and I will most defiantly tell people when I can call them...thank you!I have my first mega show on the 7th of May for HWC...I never thought to do one every month!!! :D

Asking for a daytime phone number is a great idea. I also think it's easier to catch someone during the day at work (if they can receive a call) than to try to catch them at night. Plus they don't have the distractions (kids, husbands, dinner) at work so they can actually focus on what you are telling them.

Also, something that I've noticed with my business, I have always thought "oh, I can't make calls tonight because I don't have time". Unless I had a big chunk of time...an hour or more...I felt I didn't have the "time" to call. I began making a real effort to look at the timer on my phone (when I hang up it says how long the call lasted) and am surprised to see 3 minutes, 10 minutes...and I felt like I'd talked a really long time. Now I no longer give myself that excuse.

GeorgiaPeach said:
Asking for a daytime phone number is a great idea. I also think it's easier to catch someone during the day at work (if they can receive a call) than to try to catch them at night. Plus they don't have the distractions (kids, husbands, dinner) at work so they can actually focus on what you are telling them.

Also, something that I've noticed with my business, I have always thought "oh, I can't make calls tonight because I don't have time". Unless I had a big chunk of time...an hour or more...I felt I didn't have the "time" to call. I began making a real effort to look at the timer on my phone (when I hang up it says how long the call lasted) and am surprised to see 3 minutes, 10 minutes...and I felt like I'd talked a really long time. Now I no longer give myself that excuse.

Thank you...I do the same thing..."it's gonna take forever, maybe I'll clean my desk first..." Shameful I know.

On to another thought my husband suggested I double book my Saturdays...has anyone done this with success? Is it too stressful in the end? Is it hard to get bookings on Saturday Morning/afternoons?

I had my first double booking in February. I thought it went pretty well. I offer the same recipes all season so my kit is always packed ready to go for every recipe. Some people will say to have the host have the same recipe but I didn't have any problems with it. Watch your times and your distance. I did a 10 a.m. show and a 3 p.m. show. The first show was 15 minutes south of me. I had time afterwards to grab a bite to eat and stop home to reload receipts in my catalogs (that's all I do for "guest packets"). The second show was 35 minutes north of me. I did feel like I accomplished alot in one day and would rather do that than do a Friday night then a Saturday show!

I feel so much the same way! My problem is that I have two young children and it is impossible to call when they are around (which is just about always!) and my DH works late. He is very supportive, but sometimes I don't think he gets it. He wants me to make calls at 9PM! I'm also at the one show a month and I'm feeling like I need the big old kick as well!

I actually don't like calling people at work because It's just not something I feel comfortable doing . I only do it when necessary. I find that although it is not always the best soution, sometimes e-mail can help. I just had a customer tell me that is her preferred way of communication. I don't have huge amounts of advice, but I wanted you to know that you are not alone!
Jessica

MaddyandOwensMom said:
I feel so much the same way! My problem is that I have two young children and it is impossible to call when they are around (which is just about always!) and my DH works late. He is very supportive, but sometimes I don't think he gets it. He wants me to make calls at 9PM! I'm also at the one show a month and I'm feeling like I need the big old kick as well!

I actually don't like calling people at work because It's just not something I feel comfortable doing . I only do it when necessary. I find that although it is not always the best soution, sometimes e-mail can help. I just had a customer tell me that is her preferred way of communication. I don't have huge amounts of advice, but I wanted you to know that you are not alone!
Jessica

:eek: I couldn't imagine getting ANYthing done if I had kids as well!!! I admire and am in awe of those of you who do!

Do you get a break at Staples? Couldn't you bring some names and numbers with you and make a few calls on your break? How about calling at night when you get home? By the way - what time do you think would be a good cutoff for making calls? I call people up until about 9:00 and no one has ever complained about the time.

Debbie

What are the common signs that I may be working too much?

Some common signs that you may be working too much include feeling exhausted all the time, neglecting personal relationships and hobbies, and experiencing burnout or anxiety.

How can I maintain a healthy work-life balance?

To maintain a healthy work-life balance, it's important to set boundaries and prioritize self-care. This can include setting specific work hours, taking breaks throughout the day, and making time for activities outside of work.

What can I do if I feel overwhelmed with my workload?

If you feel overwhelmed with your workload, try talking to your manager about delegating tasks or setting more realistic deadlines. It's also important to prioritize your tasks and ask for help when needed.

Are there any negative effects of working too much?

Yes, working too much can have negative effects on your physical and mental health. It can lead to burnout, stress, and an increased risk of health issues such as heart disease and depression.

How can I communicate my need for a better work-life balance with my employer?

It's important to have an open and honest conversation with your employer about your need for a better work-life balance. You can discuss specific ways to achieve this, such as adjusting your workload or schedule, and emphasize the benefits it will bring to both you and the company.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pampchefsarah
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
pampchefsarah
Replies
Views
pkd09
Replies
Views
Cathy pclady