• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How Can I Learn to Enjoy Eating More Vegetables?

In summary, Janet is trying to eat more vegetables to improve her health but doesn't enjoy them all that much. She likes some veggies but doesn't like others. She loves asparagus, broccoli, and cauliflower.
janetupnorth
Gold Member
Ok, I am NOT a veggie person, love fruit, but not too many veggies.

I like:
corn
celery
onions
lettuce (in small quantities - not a big salad person)
raw carrots
raw beans from the garden

I had some green beans this week sprayed with olive oil, sprinkled with salt and baked at 400 for about 10 minutes so they were still crisp.

I can't seem to stomach peas cooked although the kids love them.

I am REALLY trying to eat more veggies and find recipes I like to be healthier...

Any good ones? I like my veggies crunchy...not mushy...

I have eaten cooked carrots with brown sugar, etc. glaze.

I'm going to break down and try asparagus soon...

At least I'm better than DH, he only eats raw carrots!
My kids at least like veggies that I make for them... :rolleyes:

I love asparagus. It's really good sprinkled with EVOO and salt and pepper...I also add a few hunks of cooked bacon to my pan and roast them.

Baked Sweet potatoes are really yummy, too. I add some butter and brown sugar to those it's pretty good!

I also love broccoli and cauliflower...if needed to get DH to eat them, I will make a cheese sauce to drizzle on them.

I love roasted veggies and grilled veggie!

Mmmmm

You would probably like red and yellow peppers--very sweet and crunchy when raw.

Grilled zuchinni is good, too!

how about sneaking veggies into other food? shredded carrots and zucc are nice in pasta sauce, as is chopped spinach.

Ooo, there's LOTS of things you can do with spinach!!!

try this easy recipe,
zucchini & summer squash sliced
1 can of stewed tomatoes- undrained (I crush them with my hands)
salt & pepper to taste
cover with plastic wrap and micro for about 5-8 minutes (depending on your micro)

uncover and sprinkle with shredded mozzerella (or any shredded cheese) micro for another 1 minute or until cheese is melted.

the squash is mild and the tomatoes give a nice saucy taste.

now that I typed that I realized you said you like crunchy which this is not , but try it anyway :)

I guess I should add I also eat cucumbers. I eat spinach now too (just within the last 2 years) and pototoes (those were so common I forgot about them as a veggie). I think of them in another category nutritionally...

I have absolutely no aversion cooking with any of them, just need to eat them more myself! I'd make a bad vegetarian.The motto in our family is: "I love vegetarians - more meat for me!" ;)

I can't imagine life without tomatoes and flaky sea salt thats my breakfast every day tomatoes are in season

janetupnorth said:
I guess I should add I also eat cucumbers. I eat spinach now too (just within the last 2 years) and pototoes (those were so common I forgot about them as a veggie). I think of them in another category nutritionally...

so tell me, Janet...why are you worried about eating veggies? Sounds like to me that you have a decent variety of ones you do like, so no worries!

I can't eat lettuce because of tummy issues, so I make salads with shredded carrots in place of the lettuce...works for me!

I had never had asparagus until I broke down and bought some. Now we either steam it or bake it in the oven. Just some olive oil and steak seasoning. You can bake it to your liking.

Janet, you could also learn to make stir fry... very yummy and all of you could get your meat/protien and you could get your veggies, too. If it were possible, we'd have some sort of stir fry with every meal because that is the only time DH cleans his plate when there are veggies on it!

chefmeg said:
so tell me, Janet...why are you worried about eating veggies? Sounds like to me that you have a decent variety of ones you do like, so no worries!

I can't eat lettuce because of tummy issues, so I make salads with shredded carrots in place of the lettuce...works for me!

Mainly because I don't eat the ones I do like that often!!!! I figured if I can learn to mix more in, I'll be good and I may find something I REALLY like and enjoy if I find the right recipe.

Besides, the kids eat less than me and DS loves trying stuff so I'm trying to expose them to more and more things they'll like.

Kitchen Diva said:
Janet, you could also learn to make stir fry... very yummy and all of you could get your meat/protien and you could get your veggies, too. If it were possible, we'd have some sort of stir fry with every meal because that is the only time DH cleans his plate when there are veggies on it!

Yeah, I need to just eat them. I'm one who picks out my veggies from my chinese. :p

janetupnorth said:
Yeah, I need to just eat them. I'm one who picks out my veggies from my chinese. :p

oh...have you met my DH? LOL

At least if I stir fry them, he'll eat them. :) I'm telling you, roasting veggies with a sprinkling of EVOO and sea salt, or kosher salt and pepper make them really yummy- maybe you'll like them that way?

Kitchen Diva said:
oh...have you met my DH? LOL

At least if I stir fry them, he'll eat them. :) I'm telling you, roasting veggies with a sprinkling of EVOO and sea salt, or kosher salt and pepper make them really yummy- maybe you'll like them that way?

I'm thinking of trying that first. I like sea salt on things so that may work well.

butter is good too... I love butter! ;)

Since u like cucumbers do u like squash?

Squash is really good on the grill. And i think it would taste good to mix them and grill them with some butter and garlice. You could also do squash puppies and fry them just like u would hush puppies. I love those!

Will u eat them in a soup? You could add meat to the soup for texture and the meat craving in u.

Taco soup has tomatoes in it. That would disguise them good.

I think since u do not like them a lot you would do better to disguise them in a thicker dish that you do not really see them a lot in. Maybe cut them in smaller pieces.

Have you checked out the book Deceptively Delicious? It uses a lot of fruit and veggie purees in everyday foods. You wouldn't be getting your crisp crunchy veggies, but you would be getting the nutrition from them. It's designed to feed kids, but I make recipes out of there for my parents (my dad is a huge steak and potatoes fan, and not much else

Last edited:

What are some tips for making vegetables more palatable?

One tip for making vegetables more palatable is to try different cooking methods, such as roasting, grilling, or stir-frying. You can also experiment with different seasonings, herbs, and spices to add flavor to your vegetables. Another helpful tip is to pair vegetables with a tasty dip or sauce, like hummus or ranch dressing. Lastly, try incorporating vegetables into dishes you already enjoy, such as adding spinach to a pasta dish or blending vegetables into a smoothie.

How can I get my kids to eat more vegetables?

Getting kids to eat more vegetables can be a challenge, but there are some strategies you can try. One idea is to involve them in the cooking process by letting them choose a vegetable to include in a meal or allowing them to help with meal prep. You can also make vegetables fun by using cookie cutters to create fun shapes or arranging them in a creative way on their plate. Another tip is to offer a variety of vegetables and let your child choose which ones they want to try.

Are there any vegetables that are healthier when eaten raw?

Yes, there are some vegetables that are healthier when eaten raw. Raw vegetables retain more of their nutrients, as cooking can break down some vitamins and minerals. Some examples of vegetables that are healthier when eaten raw include broccoli, carrots, and bell peppers. However, cooking can also make some nutrients more easily absorbed by the body, so it's important to have a balance of both raw and cooked vegetables in your diet.

How can I incorporate more vegetables into my meals if I am a picky eater?

If you are a picky eater, incorporating more vegetables into your meals can be a challenge. One strategy is to start small and gradually increase the amount of vegetables in your meals. You can also try disguising vegetables in dishes, such as blending them into a sauce or adding them to a casserole. Another tip is to find healthier alternatives to your favorite dishes, such as using zucchini noodles instead of pasta or making cauliflower pizza crust.

Are there any health benefits to eating a variety of vegetables?

Yes, there are many health benefits to eating a variety of vegetables. Different vegetables contain different vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants, so eating a variety ensures that you are getting a wide range of nutrients. Eating a variety of vegetables also helps to promote a healthy gut microbiome, which can improve digestion and strengthen the immune system. Plus, incorporating a variety of vegetables into your meals can add flavor and texture, making your meals more enjoyable.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
chefann
  • babywings76
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
cindylpal
  • lesliec
  • General Chat
Replies