• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Having a Helper When You Do a Fair

In summary, my mom wants to stay the whole time and help me with the booth. I just don't know if it will come across as odd to have her there. I think it would be nice to have some company and she seems like a fun person.
babywings76
Gold Member
My mom has it in her head that she's coming and staying with me the whole time. I had originally just asked if she could help me with getting set up, and then schedule a dinner or potty break and then help again when it's over. But she wants to stay the whole time so that if it's busy, she can help me and also keep a lookout on my stuff. Then she'd be there for if I need to take a break. Do I look a gift horse in the mouth? I just didn't know if having her there will seem odd.

It might be nice to have some company. Maybe give her a stack of recipe cards and send her on a walk to hand them out. Be sure they have your name & info on them.

I totally agree with Linda. An extra person does come in handy to help key an eye on your things, breaks, pass recipe cards out and company during the slower times.

Okay, so people won't think I'm crazy for having my mom there? Good. :) It will be nice to have some company. My mom and I get along great. So it'll be nice to spend some time with her. I was just concerned how it would come across to others. I want to come across competant and professional and didn't know how to handle her being there when it is busy. Do I let her jump in and hand things out to people there, or should she stay in the background and just keep an eye out and guide and direct people through my booth? I love the idea of having her hand out recipes on a walk, but unfortunately I don't have many. I ordered a pack of Game Day recipe cards, but it's a small stack. I should have bought several packs. :(

I personally wouldn't bring her. She doesn't know the product, doesn't know our language. Helping you set up, take down, and giving you a quick break if fine. but all day would be a bit much.I've worked many fairs by myself and just ask my neighbor to keep an eye on things while I take a potty break and have never had a problem.

I think if she wants to come let her!

If your table gets busy she can do things like, invite people to fill out the drawing slip (if you are having a drawing), walk around and hand out your business cards to the other vendors, encourage people to stop by your booth by having her say something like " HI! Are you familiar with the Pampered Chef?" if they say no then she just says, "They sell awesome kitchen tools that help make cooking sooo much easier! This is my daughter's booth, so come on over and check out some of her items!!"

That is the wonderful thing about this business. We can run it however we want to. We don't just have to have people with us who know the product like that back of their hand. We can have people with us who simply USE the products and then they can talk them up to the people stopping by.

I have had my sister and a friend come with me to different vendor events and they have been a HUGE help! My sister seems to be able to attract the young college kids over to the booth and my friend was attraching all of the elderly people! LOL.

put an apron on her & let her help with passing out things like others mentioned. Who knows she might become a recruit :)

My DD is helping with my booth on Oct. 4th. She enjoys helping and is 21 so she can draw some of the younger crowd. Also with her being older she knows about as much as I do, and yes I have tried to recruit her (no so far).

I had a fair just last weekend and my husband called out of work to help me out. That is because I have been having back problems and he didn't want me lifting the tables LOL Dr. said nothing over 25 lbs and he actually weighed the tables and said no I am not lifting them LOL He was such a tremondous help. He helped me get everything set up and then while it was slow he sat in the background but he must have been paying attention because when it got busy he jumped in and had people taking recipe cards, even pointing out my website on the recipe cards, and having them fill out draw slips. He even made a sale or two of cash and carry items. So I would say if you get offered the help take it :) You just never know how much you may be appreciating that extra hand at the end of the day :)

I do not think having her there with you is a bad idea but there should be some guidelines. She should dress apropriately. I would not have her wear an apron. Instruct her on how she should handle things if the booth gets busy, Filling out slips etc. and stating that you will be with them in a few minutes to answer q's. She can say she is your assistant for the day, but not a cons. Let her know that interacting with the public comes first for you so if the 2 of you are chatting and you stop mid sentence. You are not being rude but doing your job.

I have had "helpers" a few times and it can be a help. MY SIL helped me do a fair one time because I needed a few extra minutes at lunch so I could go to my car and Pump (I was a nursing mom at the time). She booked a show for me! My mom has been with me at county fairs. She did roam alot but helped out watching the booth durring breaks. My (then 6yr old DD) helped me at the last county fair I did one morning. She did great handing out recipe cards to all the passers by.

My mom helped me when I had a booth at the flea market a year and half ago. I loved having her....just wish she was still here to help me out next weekend! :(

I say take her up on the offer and look at it as quality mom/daughter time! :)

I think it would be a great idea!! She may not know as many details and facts about the PC products, but if she's like my family, she's probably heard about the products from you so much that she knows more than you think. Plus, I'm sure she has tons of products or at least some, so she can talk up those products and tell people, I have that and LOVE it, I use it for... I think it is a good selling point for your products and the business opportunity to have a non PC person there. I try not to make PC look so strict that people wouldn't or couldn't see themselves doing it. I want it to be laid back. I know others take a different approach and that's what's so great about having this as your own business, you can do that!!

Last year I did a booth, and due to unforseen events, I had to take my 8 year old DD! She was great help! Originally I had told her to be seen and not heard, but the customers loved her, and kept asking what was her favorite PC items. She does really like a few items, and would tell them all about it! Would I have my Mom, there? Only if she were enthusiastic. Anyone with a positive attitude would be welcome as a helper in my booth! If you get several customers at a time, she can hand them a mini- catalog or recipe card to them to keep them busy till you can get to them.

PC is a family business after all and my family takes part in labeling my catalogs, helping me taste test new recipes and try out the products.

I don't think it would be odd to have her there. If someone asks something she doesn't know, just have her direct them to you. Having someone there who loves the products and will encourage you and keep you company is GREAT!!

I would love for my mother to be with me at a fair. She doesn't have to be a PC expert, because as a matter of fact none of us know everything there is to know about PC. Except maybe Janet and Ann!! HA HA HA

But for us regular folks, it never hurts to get your mom a catalog because sometimes the answers are right in the catalog.

Debbie :chef:

I have a friend that helps with a big event I do. I could NOT do it without her. She's not a PC consultant, but knows enough about the product and does say that she's the asst and it's MY booth. She can just say, I'm helping Amanda for the day and talk about what she can. It's all in what YOU think though. My mom would do okay, but my friend is GREAT at it. You just want someone that's friendly and professional and likes to talk to people (at least in that situation).Good luck. I hope that you need her (busy, busy).

I have asked my niece to help me out with my first craft fair in Nov. and after all your input, I am more assured that I made the right decision. She is not that familiar with PC; however, she attended one of my shows (a luau), loved the collapsible bowl, and ordered it along with some other products.

She is a real people person; that is why I thought of her. I really like your idea of having her take a walk and hand out recipe cards to the other vendors. This forum is s-o-o-o helpful!! Thx.

I definitely recommend having a helper. I decked my hubby out in a PC t-shirt. He loved helping customers and I schooled him in PC "boot camp" to know the basics. It really helped to have a second set of eyes, hands, and someone to talk to.

Well, I did my fair yesterday. I am SO glad my mom was with me. She was such a help. Helping me with loading my stuff, unloading, setting up, packing up at the end. I'd be with a person, another would come and so she'd direct them to the door prize slips. I was able to eat, go to the bathroom. She was in no way a hinderance. :) It was nice to have company. Also, she'd give me a discreet reminder if I forgot something. And just about every other vendor there had a helper. Moms, daughters, friends, 2 workers. So I felt very normal having her there. :)

I have my first booth in 2 weeks and my mom is going to help me as well as my teenage son, for a while anyway, then he has to work in the dunk tank. I feel better after reading this and got some really great ideas as well. I have put a recipe card and a piece of candy is a small ziploc bag with my information on it. I think I will have my mom help me pass these out. Thanks for the great ideas.

That is great, Amanda. I am glad it worked out for you. Now how did you make out with the drawing slips--any recruit leads, bookings?

Inquiring minds want to know!!!!

What a great experience for the both of you. I am so glad you included her. And I am sure your customers were better for her being there. It made you comfortable. I usually have to do booths by myself. I would rather have company/help. You are so lucky to have someone to accompany you. My mom passed years ago and I would give anything for that same experience. Remember, this is your business to handle it how you feel is best. And it can be a family affair. Can I borrow her for my next booth????? LOL

My DH comes to the Farmer's Market with me sometimes, and I love having him with me (most of the times) He unloads the car, puts up the canopy, and sometimes when things are slow, he has been known to go to other booths, with a product, usually the collapsible bowl, and demonstrates.

Thanks for all your responses. I love all your kind words and encouragement. :)

I ended up with 44 entries for my prize drawing. 8 possible bookings. 1 possible fundraiser. 1 request for recipes. 2 product replacement requests (loved that...:() One person ask about the pink products for Help Whip Cancer. I had 1 person call me yesterday and place an order. Small order, but still was nice that she contacted me! :)

I need to do all the follow up calls today, at least for the possible bookings people. Hope my kids nap well, so I can make the calls undisturbed. ;)

Related to Having a Helper When You Do a Fair

1. How do I choose a helper for my Pampered Chef fair?

When selecting a helper for your Pampered Chef fair, it's important to choose someone who is friendly, outgoing, and organized. They should also have a good understanding of the products and be able to answer any questions that customers may have. You may also want to consider someone who has experience with sales or has attended a Pampered Chef fair before.

2. What tasks can I assign to my helper during the fair?

Your helper can assist with a variety of tasks during the fair, such as greeting customers, passing out samples, demonstrating products, and taking orders. They can also help with setting up and cleaning up before and after the fair. It's important to communicate clearly with your helper about their responsibilities so that everything runs smoothly.

3. How many helpers do I need for a Pampered Chef fair?

The number of helpers needed for a Pampered Chef fair will depend on the size of the event and the number of attendees. As a general rule, it's recommended to have at least one helper for every 10-15 guests. This will ensure that all customers are attended to and the fair runs efficiently.

4. Can my helper assist with taking payments?

Yes, your helper can definitely assist with taking payments for orders. They can also help customers with filling out order forms and processing credit card transactions. It's important to make sure your helper is trained on how to handle payments and is comfortable with the process.

5. How can I show my appreciation for my helper after the fair?

There are many ways to show your appreciation for your helper after the fair. You can offer them a percentage of the sales or a free product of their choice. You can also write them a thank you note or give them a small gift as a token of your gratitude. Showing your helper that you value their help and support can go a long way in building a strong working relationship.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Cathy Boucher
  • Pampered Chef Booths
Replies
Views
Zsu
  • Hunter Mom
  • Pampered Chef Booths
Replies
Views
Soprano955
  • jillbean