• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Curious about a Gift: DH Wants One - What is It?

In summary, Pressure cookers are a great way to cook food quickly and safely. They are different than a crockpot in that they have a built-in pressure mechanism. They are also great for cooking meat. Some people are afraid of them, but they are actually very safe.
dannyzmom
Gold Member
Anyone have one?
What are they used for?
DH has decided he thinks he wants one for Christmas and I am doing some research...
what can ya tell me??

Is it the same as a crockpot? I love my crockpot!

No, they are different from a crock pot. I had a Presto one years ago that was aluminum. It was okay. I grew up using one for cooking potatoes all the time. I was recently given a fabulous stainless steel one that has a much better pressure mechanism in it. I would encourage you not to go cheap and I think you'll be much happier. I know that some people use them for cooking meat too but I have never used mine for that.

I have TWO they are awesome! I cook potatoes & stew/soup in them.

I have an aluminum pressure CANNER. I don't like cooking in aluminum....don't like the taste....but for canning it is fabulous! Make sure you get one that is large enough for what you want to do with it. Alton Brown did a great episode on pressure cookers. Check out this link for the transcript GEFP

If you think you would like to can foods, there is nothing better than a pressure cooker. Green beans & tomatoes are best canned in a pressure cooker. Venison is excellent canned.

I used to use my smaller one for cooking beef stew, roasts, and broasted chicken, but for the last few years, haven't touched it. I would rather use a stone, or my crockpot :love:

My mom always did pot roasts in hers and they were fabulous! I have one she got me at a yard sale and have used it a couple of times. I really like it, especially because the chittering drives my youngest crazy! :D It is great payback for all those noises that little boys like to make for no apparent reason! :p

My mom used on all the time when we grew up - for similar things to above. I personally have never had the need for one. Of course, when I can it is usually jams/jellies only and I can do that without a pressure cooker. For roasts, I use my crock pot.

Pressure cookers were a godsend in the days before microwaves!

Instead of taking amost an hour to boil corn on the cob, cook juicy roasts, etc, you could make those items in about 15 minutes. My mom used hers all the time.

I'm afraid of them, though, since I've heard horror stories of them exploding. But I think the newer ones have built-in mechanisms so they can't do that.

kspry said:
Pressure cookers were a godsend in the days before microwaves!

Instead of taking amost an hour to boil corn on the cob, cook juicy roasts, etc, you could make those items in about 15 minutes. My mom used hers all the time.

I'm afraid of them, though, since I've heard horror stories of them exploding. But I think the newer ones have built-in mechanisms so they can't do that.
My concern is about the exploding, too. I've never had one or used one. My mom didn't use one either. Sorry I'm no help.

I was curious as to the responses here...I inherited my Mom's pressure cooker and I haven't attemted to use it yet! Don't know why...just cuz I never have used one in the past, I guess!

I would love to hear of other's recipes in them!

My husband' s mother uses hers all the time.
She's from Istanbul Turkey, and most of their dishes take long to cook.
She can make a dish in 15-20 minutes that normally takes and hour or more!

My husband wanted one, so she got him one from over there, we got it this summer while we were there...
We actually used it last night.

It's a Tefal clipso control...
It has a digital timer on the lid, and all kinds of cool settings... I think it was a good $200...but the MIL bought it ...:)

I have a MagefesaIt is from Spain, and cost $99 or $109 (when I bought). I love it! I use it severale times a week to cook curry, soup, potatoes, stews. Works great, and was rated highly in tests.

Magefesa

Recipes at missvickie.com

They are much safer now, mine has three overpressure relief valves just in case. That said, I did knock the rocker off my old Presto twice, and it did not explode-- just shot tumeric laden steam onto my ceiling ("that's not a tumeric").

Old ones are still safe, but the new ones are safer, get up to pressure faster, and lose less steam. Go for it!

Robin

Go to your local County Extension office (you can usually find them online and they are usually connected to a local college/university) and get their input. If yours has a rubber seal, you will need to replace it. Mine does not. Talk to the experts!!!

My mom has one. I cant get over the fear of the exploding ones, so when I want pintos, I go to my mom's and she makes them for me while I'm there and uses her pressure cooker. They comeout so tender (and no gas when you soak them in baking soda first), and I LOVE my pintos! We grew up on them. Mix in a little cheese and sour cream and dip with fritos.... yummmm.... My hubby thinks its disgusting and wont be around when I eat them My daughter is too picky to try them, but she would probably like them if she tried them. I ate them all the time when I was pregnant with her. They're also very good with my cornbread recipe. I love my pintos.....

Related to Curious about a Gift: DH Wants One - What is It?

What is a "Curious about a Gift"?

A "Curious about a Gift" is a popular and versatile product from Pampered Chef that is perfect for anyone who loves to cook or bake. It is a set of high-quality kitchen tools that are designed to make cooking and baking easier and more enjoyable.

What is included in a "Curious about a Gift" set?

The exact contents of a "Curious about a Gift" set may vary, but it typically includes a variety of kitchen tools such as a mixing bowl, measuring cups and spoons, a spatula, and a whisk. Some sets may also include additional tools like a rolling pin or pastry cutter.

Is a "Curious about a Gift" suitable for all skill levels?

Yes, a "Curious about a Gift" is suitable for all skill levels in the kitchen. The tools are designed to be user-friendly and can be used by beginners and experienced chefs alike. They are also great for kids who are learning how to cook.

Can I customize a "Curious about a Gift" set?

Yes, you can customize a "Curious about a Gift" set to fit your needs. You can choose from different color options and add or remove certain tools to create the perfect set for yourself or as a gift for someone else.

What makes a "Curious about a Gift" a great gift?

"Curious about a Gift" sets make great gifts because they are practical, high-quality, and suitable for anyone who loves to cook or bake. They also come beautifully packaged, making them a thoughtful and convenient gift for any occasion.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• NooraK
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
minirottie
  • etteluap70PC
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
angel7581
  • wadesgirl