• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Ziti Question: Does Baked Ziti Recipe Call for Mild Italian Sausage?

The lasagna is made with noodles, ground beef or sausage, and a sauce. The baked ziti is just the noodles, without the beef or sausage, and it is usually served with a sauce on the side.
kcjodih
Gold Member
For those of you who've made Baked Ziti before does your's call for mild italian sausage. The recipe I'm about to try calls for 1 pound of mild italian sausage, casings removed. What the heck does that mean? Is it ground sausage like ground beef or turkey? Is it like breakfast sausage and I have to take the casings off? Or is it like Oktoberfest sausage where it has that 'outside' that I'd need to peel off?

It says cook over medium heat until evenly browned. Drain, crumble and set aside.

Help!

I usually just use hamburger. I think sausage ruins Italian food!

I would use the sausage you can get in a tube like hamburger.

The Italian sausage is just sausage but not in sausage form. That sounds funny, but when you go to your grocery store's fresh meat case you'll likely see fresh sausage links. The casing is what makes the sausage look like a sausage, which is just a thin covering around the actual meat. Removing it is easy if the people at the store will not do it for you. Just cut through the covering and peel it off, nothing too difficult just a little messy. You could always get sausage that is not in the casing; if you have a grocer with a section for pre-packaged lunch meats you can probably find small 1-pound tubes of fresh sausage. (with thanks to my husband the butcher).As for the ziti, my hubby makes a mean baked ziti that does not call for anything but ground beef, though he says Italian sausage would add a nice kick to it! If you're wary of using the sausage, try mixing it with ground beef.

Okay thanks all! Since I'm laid up and really just trying to find an easy pasta recipe for our hockey player houseguest but haven't been out of bed for awhile and they're eating what's been in the freezer, I think I'll take the easy route this time around and just use hamburger. Then if I like it I'll kick it up a notch next time with the sausage. I LOVE things a little spicy but our houseguest does not.

So except for the noodle shape, how is this different than lasagna? Looks pretty similar to me.

They are similar, but different, especially if you make it with the sausage.

1. What type of ziti should I use in the recipe?

The recipe calls for regular ziti pasta, but you can also use penne or rigatoni as a substitute.

2. Can I use spicy Italian sausage instead of mild?

Yes, you can use spicy Italian sausage if you prefer a little heat in your baked ziti. Just be aware that it may alter the overall flavor of the dish.

3. Do I need to cook the sausage before adding it to the ziti?

Yes, the recipe calls for cooked sausage. You can either cook it separately and then add it to the ziti, or you can cook it in the same pan that you'll be using to bake the ziti.

4. Can I make this recipe ahead of time?

Yes, you can assemble the ziti ahead of time and refrigerate it until you are ready to bake it. You may need to add a few extra minutes to the baking time if the ziti is cold when you put it in the oven.

5. Can I freeze the leftovers?

Yes, you can freeze the leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Just make sure to thaw it completely before reheating in the oven or microwave.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
ShellBeach
Replies
Views
candiejayne
  • its_me_susan
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
ChefPaulaB