• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Ziploc Omelet Show: A Fun and Easy Breakfast Idea for Large Gatherings

In summary, the author warns readers about the risks of cooking omelets in plastic bags, and suggests that they try the recipe using a skillet instead.
scottcooks
Gold Member
Hey everyone...i just did a show a couple weeks ago that was such a hit for 35 people...Ziplock Omelette show. You can demo the products to get the food ready (which i did ahead of time with so many people...but save a bit in front of them).

Show off
knives, cutting boards, food chopper, tomato knife, measuring cups, prep bowls, batter bowls (any bowl to hold the items), stainless steel mixing bowls, hold eggs in egg side of Chillzane Rectangle Server, Chilzanne Small Bowl - sour cream? scoops, whisks, Ultimate Mandoline, cookware, egg slicer plus for olives if want; salt and pepper mill;

Creative cutters / new melon baller / APCS / AW to cut fresh fruit

They can even try the tools themselves.
To set up for that many people...we did it like assembly line and put batter bowls out to crack the eggs into if they liked...and could whisk them up or pour them into their bag.
We dropped them all in at the same time and put on our PChef timer.
They had such a blast. You could also do Monkey bread in stone or cookware and a microwave cake for dessert. Heck...if you want to make your own salsa for afterwards..you can demo tools to make it in front of everyone;

Just wanted to share with you all!!
Try it!! It was easy!!!

ZIPLOC OMELET
(This works great !!! Good for when all your family is together.
The best part is that no one has to wait for their special omelet !!!)
Have guests write their name on a quart-size Ziploc freezer bag with permanent marker.

-Crack 2 eggs (large or extra-large) into a BB or SSMB (not more than 2) whisk to combine them.
-Put out a variety of ingredients such as: cheeses, ham, onion, green pepper, tomato, hash browns, etc. to chop with FC, Forged Cutlerey
-Each guest adds prepared ingredients of choice to their bag and shake. Make sure to get the air out of the bag and zip it up.
-Place the bags into rolling, boiling water for exactly 13 minutes. You can usually cook 6-8 omelets for a conventional stove gas or electric, in a large PC or EC pot. For more, make another pot of boiling water, or use the Roasting Pan in the oven - set for 400, pour boiling water into pan - cook the same 13 mins.
-If using a hotplate, they are less BTU's so limit to 4-5 per pot.
-Open the bags and the omelet will roll out easily. Be prepared for everyone to be amazed.
-Nice to serve with fresh fruit and biscuit pull-aparts; everyone gets involved in the process and a great conversation piece.

Good luck and God Bless... have any of YOU tried this yet?

OK--That sounds so cool!!!

Scott, that sounds SO crazy! I may have to try that one here before I go to a show!

Thanks for sharing!:D

I do this for all my brunch shows! I use the roasting pan on two burners with boiling water.

Tomorrow I decided to add french toast made in the oven on the Bar Pan.

Just FYI this has gone around before, but there are some health concerns about the safety of boiling plastic bags.

We do this for camping...It is FUN for everyone!

ShanaSmith said:
Just FYI this has gone around before, but there are some health concerns about the safety of boiling plastic bags.

I wonder if it would work in shallow boiling water in the prep bowls?

Paige Dixon said:

I'm thinking no... because the bowls aren't going to fare well sitting directly on the pan that's directly on the heat... and I can't see them floating well, especially at a rolling boil.

Saw this on another site thought i would post it here cause I saw you all talking about this recipe. :confused:

Warning about omelets in a bag.

Plastic-bag-omelet fad not a good idea

I became excited about the latest food fad, Ziploc Omelets, when I received the recipe in an e-mail, but I soon learned they’re not such a good idea.

These omelets are put together in Ziploc bags and cooked in the bag in boiling water. A few people called to tell me how good and foolproof they were. I tried the method, and sure enough, it was easy. There was no mess, and the omelets just rolled out of the bag.

Before writing my column to tell you about it, I searched the Internet to see if the recipe came from the company that makes Ziploc brand bags. I’m very glad I did because there were several warnings about cooking omelets in plastic bags.

Robin Bagwell with Nutrition/Family Life wrote, “This is NOT recommended until further research is done on cooking with plastics.

There is still question about the cancer-causing breakdown of plastics and their contact with food during cooking.”

I spoke with a representative on the Medical Line of SC Johnson, the maker of Ziploc bags, and she reiterated they absolutely do not recommend using any Ziploc brand bag in boiling water. At this time, the company does not make a “boilable” bag. :eek:

I would say to be on the safe side forget about boiling the omelet in a plastic bag and just cook it in a skillet as we have always done.

Are the FoodSaver brand bags safe for boiling?

I think they would be because they actually show/talk about boiling them.

It could just be I did something wrong, but my bags stuck to the bottom of the pan and melted and then the omelet partially leaked out of the bag and the egg that stayed in the bag was extremely watery. I'm certainly glad I didn't make that mistake at a show. Maybe I didn't have enough water, or maybe the bag was too big??? I love it when such unique ideas are posted on here. It's great.

http://www.kleerpak.com/

This is a site I use to purchase bags for my culinary business. I believe they have Boilable Bags and Pouches that you can special order. May seem like a pita, but better safe then sorry in my book.

HTH :)

I'm pretty sure you're only supposed to put FoodSaver bags with frozen food in them if you're boiling...

Thanks for the heads up

Does this have the be a freezer bag?? can you do it in smaller bags?? They had local firefighters demo this on tv the other day

Paige Dixon said:

I make custard on top of the stove, in my 12" pan and prep bowls. Place filled bowls in pan, (I cover bowls with parchment or foil, add hot water from kettle, bring to a an almost simmer. Cover, cook until set. Exact time depends on the temp of eggs and milk to start with.

Omelets...would work but for some folks, the shape would not be appealing. My family...would like it!

Wow there are so many great idea's on here...I am curious about the Ziplock Omelette show, may have to give that a practice run! Keep up the great work everyone!

1. What is the Ziploc Omelet Show?

The Ziploc Omelet Show is a cooking demonstration that showcases the convenience and versatility of using Ziploc bags to make omelets. It is a fun and easy way to prepare a delicious breakfast or brunch for yourself or for a group of people.

2. How does the Ziploc Omelet Show work?

The Ziploc Omelet Show involves placing all the ingredients for an omelet into a Ziploc bag, sealing it, and then boiling it in a pot of water. The hot water cooks the omelet mixture evenly and creates a perfectly shaped omelet that can be easily removed from the bag.

3. What are the benefits of using Ziploc bags to make omelets?

Using Ziploc bags to make omelets offers many benefits, such as easy clean-up, no need for cooking oil, and the ability to make multiple omelets at once. It also allows for customization and personalization of each omelet, as each person can choose their own ingredients and flavors.

4. Can I use any type of Ziploc bag for the Ziploc Omelet Show?

Yes, any type of Ziploc bag can be used for the Ziploc Omelet Show, as long as it is microwave and boil-safe. However, we recommend using the Ziploc brand bags for best results.

5. Are there any other recipes I can make using Ziploc bags?

Absolutely! Ziploc bags are a versatile kitchen tool and can be used to make a variety of dishes, from marinades and sauces to desserts and even main courses. Check out our website or catalog for more recipe ideas using Ziploc bags.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Kate0831
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
PamperedchefDaly
  • pampered1224
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
sharalam
Replies