• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Yummy - South of the Border Meat Loaf!

In summary, the conversation is about trying a new recipe for meatloaf using high quality meat and different variations of side dishes to serve with it. Some suggestions include using fiesta style corn, Mexican rice, or cornbread cups. The conversation also includes sharing other similar recipes, like a Mexican corn cake, and discussing the potential for making this recipe as a demo. Some people had success with the recipe, while others had issues with the meatloaf falling apart. Overall, the consensus is that the recipe is quick, easy, and delicious.
pampchefrhondab
I tried this recipe tonight and it was sooo easy and good! Now I had high quality meat (ground round) from a local meat market so I didn't have any grease on the bottom of the DCB. Next time I make it I'll try a lesser quality meat to see if I get the same results. I also used green bell pepper and not poblano.

I wasn't sure what to serve it with since it seemed a little Mexican w/the tortilla chips. We had chips and salsa and some refried beans w/cheese. I didn't really care for that combo w/it. I think it would have been better w/some cheese fries or a baked potato w/cheese and bacon bits. Just me.

It is spicy so I'm not sure everyone at a show would like it, but boy was it quick, easy and yummy:)!

How about some fiesta style corn (corn with diced red pepper)?

Glad to hear the feedback. That will be on the menu next week. I'm working my way through one of the weeks in the dinner recipe cards right now. :)

Fiesta corn is a great idea - thanks!

I don't have the recipe cards yet since I didn't earn any products. Let me know what you think of those recipes and I'll let you know if I try anything else in the SB:)!

I made the tortellini with spinach and ham tonight. It was good. My kids even ate it, minus the spinach that is!

Fiesta Corn sounds good! I was thinking a Mexican Rice, but the corn sounds good too.

mexican corn cake would be yummy with it too :)

What if you made the cornbread part of the Chipotle Cornbread Cups??

Just a thought.

Lisa

I just made it last night and used the bell pepper instead of the jalapeno, and it was good and not spicy at all. I just had regular mashed potatoes (as I was not feeling very inspired) but I think that spanish rice would be good with it too.

YUM, I love meatloaf! This one sounds like a Must try! :)

I did this today, with rice (served with cillantro and lime) and corn cake.It took about 10 minutes longer (5 for each step) because of my low-power microwave.Mexican corn cake, should anybody want it:
1 can whole kernel corn, undrained
1 can cream corn
1 stick butter, melted
1 cup sour cream (measure all is GREAT for this!)
1 box jiffy corn mix
2 eggsMix all and pour into lightly oiled baker (square baker works great!) and bake at 350 for 50-55 minutes.

I got ingredients to make this this week...would this make a good demo?
I was planning on serving mashed potatoes w/ and using green bell pepper.

Di_Can_Cook said:
I did this today, with rice (served with cillantro and lime) and corn cake.

It took about 10 minutes longer (5 for each step) because of my low-power microwave.

Mexican corn cake, should anybody want it:
1 can whole kernel corn, undrained
1 can cream corn
1 stick butter, melted
1 cup sour cream (measure all is GREAT for this!)
1 box jiffy corn mix
2 eggs

Mix all and pour into lightly oiled baker (square baker works great!) and bake at 350 for 50-55 minutes.

I make something similar to this only we call it corn bake and I use 2 cans of whole kernel corn, drained, plus 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese. I put it in the DCB covered in a 350 oven for 1 hour. I am not allowed to show up to a family reunion without it! Everyone loves it. mine isn't like a bread though, it's more like a casserole, spoon it out and eat with a fork.

This thread made me hungry!

We tried it last week and thought it was bland (course we're from TX)

I tried the meat loaf but mine did not stay in a loaf... it turned out to be ground beef... my husband hated it.

Mine did stay in a loaf, but like I said I used ground round. It was very high quality meat.

I would make it next time with MUCH LEANER beef ... 85 percent is too fatty IMHO. I'm used to 90 percent or leaner for meatloaf.Other than the chipotle rub, it is very similar to the meat loaf we make all the time anyway. Roomie complained about the chips because of the salt content.I honestly don't know about doing it as a demo because I don't know any effective way of mixing meatloaf other than with your hands!

PCJenni said:
I tried the meat loaf but mine did not stay in a loaf... it turned out to be ground beef... my husband hated it.

How quick did you cut it after it came out of the microwave? With meatloaf, it tends to hold together better if you let it sit just a spell before cutting it. Not sure if that was the case or not.

Di_Can_Cook said:
I would make it next time with MUCH LEANER beef ... 85 percent is too fatty IMHO. I'm used to 90 percent or leaner for meatloaf.

Other than the chipotle rub, it is very similar to the meat loaf we make all the time anyway. Roomie complained about the chips because of the salt content.

I honestly don't know about doing it as a demo because I don't know any effective way of mixing meatloaf other than with your hands!

I think I'll definitely use gloves if I demo this. The only other thing I can think of is the mix and scrape, but I'm not sure that'd work. Meatloaf is kind of a "hands-on" experience.

I signed up to make this for our cluster meeting next week.

It appears that we have to shape the Ground Beef into a loaf shape in the DCB.

I am wondering why we couldn't use our loaf pan for this? (I know - besides the obvious of using the DCB - but if I am making this for us at home - the loaf pan would fit so much better in our microwave.) Is it so that the fat drains off around the loaf?
Just curious....

Last edited:
This is dinner tomorrow! Tonight we're trying the Ham & Cheese Calzone.

Di_Can_Cook said:
I would make it next time with MUCH LEANER beef ... 85 percent is too fatty IMHO. I'm used to 90 percent or leaner for meatloaf.

Other than the chipotle rub, it is very similar to the meat loaf we make all the time anyway. Roomie complained about the chips because of the salt content.

I honestly don't know about doing it as a demo because I don't know any effective way of mixing meatloaf other than with your hands!

I used the mix n chop and it was easy as pie. I made it exactly as directed except I used 2 pounds ground beef instead of 1 1/2. It was awesome. The directions say to let it sit for 10 minutes (cover on) before cutting. Mine stayed together as well as any other meatloaf (I used 85% beef this time but will use 93 next time even though it wasn't greasy at all even with the 85%).

I will definitely offer this as a show recipe. Easy, quick, comfort food. People will love it!

Saturday Gourmet said:
How quick did you cut it after it came out of the microwave? With meatloaf, it tends to hold together better if you let it sit just a spell before cutting it. Not sure if that was the case or not.

I think I'll definitely use gloves if I demo this. The only other thing I can think of is the mix and scrape, but I'm not sure that'd work. Meatloaf is kind of a "hands-on" experience.

What about using the mega scraper? Would that work? I was going to make stuffed peppers tomorrow as I have 3 pounds that I got for free so want to find ways to use them up, but maybe I will make this tomorrow and the stuffed peppers the following night as it is just me and DH LOL

I tried the mega scraper, but it was too mega, esp. for my batter bowl!
it wasn't greasy at all even with the 85%
Really? I had to pour quite a bit off of it before I put it back in with the sauce on it.

Last edited:
Di_Can_Cook said:
I tried the mega scraper, but it was too mega, esp. for my batter bowl!

Really? I had to pour quite a bit off of it before I put it back in with the sauce on it.

Really. There was virtually none. When I make my meatloaf I always use 93% beef and have to pour off grease but not tonight with this recipe. Honest.

Again, the perfect tool to mix the meatloaf is the Mix n Chop!!

Use the mix n chop to mix up your meatloaf instead of hands! Most people don't think of that tool as anything except to break up ground beef in a skillet! You can use it to shred chicken as well as make meatloaf, meatballs, anything that you would need to get your hands in there and mix.

I dont have the cards yet, can someone post the recipes using the DCB for my collection?

This one's not from the cards, it's from the Fall SBRC, which was in changeover boxes.

We tried the South of the Border meatloaf tonight and I thought it was bland. One of my children ate it with chips all over it. LOL! Hubby said it was okay.

Adding this to the DCB file this week. Can't believe I forgot it!

chefsteph07 said:
I got ingredients to make this this week...would this make a good demo?
I was planning on serving mashed potatoes w/ and using green bell pepper.

Someone in our cluster brought the meat loaf, and used Southwestern seasoning instead. It was really good. Somewhere on CC is a recipe for making the mashed potatoes in the rice cooker plus. (I'm having trouble finding it. Does someone have it?) I thought this would be nice to do at a show.

Ooh, I forgot about the Cheesy Mashed Potatoes in the 24 minutes to cooking book.

I found the thread:

"Peel and cut up 4 - 5 potatoes in half inch cubes (enough to fill
pot about half way)
fill the pot half way up to the top of the potatoes with milk
butter to your taste (you don't want to know how much I put in)
salt and pepper to taste
press some garlic
cook for 13 minutes in microwave rice cooker
remove from microwave oven, add 1 big glob of sour cream and mash with nylon masher.
YUM!!!!!!!!"

I made this last night for Family Dinner Night and served with the Green Bean Casserole that my DIL brought and corn bread and mashed potatoes. It was good, but we had to scoop it out with a slotted spoon because it just fell apart and was so greasy... I guess next time I'll try it with a better quality of burger, so hopefully there'll be less grease. Everyone liked it okay, but agreed that they like my regular oven cooked meat loaf better. I loved how quick and easy it was though, so I'll definitely have to work on it! And the sides were okay with it but weren't very inspired. Maybe if I'd jazzed up the mashed potatoes a bit...

We had this last night. It was good but a bit strange too. I think next time I will serve it with some sides. Don't know why I did not??? Overall we liked it. I had to Sub a sweet banana pepper and 1 Jalepeno because it was what I had ripe from my garden :)

ChefPaulaB said:
I make something similar to this only we call it corn bake and I use 2 cans of whole kernel corn, drained, plus 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese. I put it in the DCB covered in a 350 oven for 1 hour. I am not allowed to show up to a family reunion without it! Everyone loves it. mine isn't like a bread though, it's more like a casserole, spoon it out and eat with a fork.

You only use the corn and the cheese? I want to add this to the
DCB file, I want to be sure I get it right.

Carol

I just made it tonight and my family loved it! It is a keeper for sure..:chef:

cwinter474 said:
You only use the corn and the cheese? I want to add this to the
DCB file, I want to be sure I get it right.

Carol

Here is the full recipe...

Corn Bake

1 stick butter/margerine melted
1 pkg. (9 oz) Jiffy Corn bread mix
2 eggs
1 can cream style corn
2 cans regular corn, drained
1 cup sour cream
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
Salt & Pepper to taste

Mix all ingredients together in DCB, leaving out a little cheese to top. Top with remaining cheese. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour. Enjoy! (Get ready for lots of requests for this one... I take it to all potlucks, and can't walk in without it at most!)

1. Can I use a different type of meat for this recipe?

Yes, you can use any type of ground meat for this recipe, such as beef, turkey, or chicken. However, the quality of the meat may affect the amount of grease at the bottom of the Deep Covered Baker (DCB).

2. Can I substitute a different type of pepper for the poblano pepper?

Yes, you can use any type of pepper for this recipe, such as green bell pepper, jalapeno, or Anaheim pepper. Keep in mind that different types of peppers may alter the level of spiciness in the meatloaf.

3. What sides would pair well with this South of the Border Meat Loaf?

This recipe is versatile and can be paired with a variety of sides. Some suggestions include chips and salsa, refried beans, cheese fries, or a baked potato with cheese and bacon bits.

4. Is this meatloaf suitable for all palates?

Since this recipe contains spices and peppers, it may be too spicy for some individuals. However, you can adjust the level of spiciness by using milder peppers or reducing the amount of spices used.

5. How long does it take to make this meatloaf?

This recipe is quick and easy to make, taking only about 30 minutes to prepare and cook. It's a great option for a busy weeknight dinner or a last-minute meal for unexpected guests.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• chefann
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
PamperedChefLayla
  • chefann
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
JDooley
  • esavvymom