• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How can I make crispy microwave chips with my Pampered Chef products?

In summary, the speaker shares their positive experience using a ridged baker, simple slicer, and chip maker for the first time. They were impressed with the results, particularly the crisping of bacon in the ridged baker and the healthy and customizable options of using the chip maker. They also mention selling these products in the future and others sharing similar thoughts. Various types of potatoes were used successfully, and the speaker wonders about roasting pumpkin seeds on the chip maker. They advise starting with a low time setting when cooking bacon in the microwave and mention a potential issue with using peppers in the microwave. They also ask for suggestions on other seasonings to use on the chips.
msmileyface
I just used my simple slicer, chip maker, and ridged baker for the first time... and I loved them all, so I wanted to share!

Hubby and I were having BLTs, so I figured I would use the ridged baker for the bacon in the microwave. WOW! I was impressed. Stoneware has always done pretty well for me with the bacon.. but this was amazing. Rather than having the oil mushing up the bacon a bit, all of the fat was in the ridges and the bacon was crisp and amazing. Yes folks, from the microwave (you all of course believe me but guests at shows never believe microwaves are worth a darn! LOL)

Moving on.. I used the simple slicer on a potato... it made 2 heaping piles of beautiful, thin slices... SO fast and simple. Arranged the slices on the chip maker... They came out great! As I was eating them, I realized how healthy the chips are. No oil drizzled on them.. no frying.. only a PINCH of salt sprinkled over them. We could make these as a snack several times a week and never feel guilty. :love:

I had no idea I would be so impressed by this product, but I am. First of all, I've had micro chip trays before and you had to put the slices in vertically, and it was always a pain and they never came out crispy unless they were burnt. So the product works, most importantly. Then the health factor I mentioned.. what a tasty, healthy snack! Also, you can customize them. I imagine a sprinkle of our rubs or spices might be nice on them (in moderation).. chili lime chips anyone? I'll have to try that.

I'm just impressed. And the simple slicer is a must-have with this item.. I hope to be selling lots of those duos this Fall.

Ok, enough positive ranting. Anyone else have similar thoughts?:D

I tried them tonight too, and loved them also. I did spritz mine with just a bit of oil before putting the salt (and some had pepper too) on them.The slicer worked so-so in my opinion. I'd have maybe 50% that were SUPER thin, and then others that were thick. the remaining 50% were 'perfect'. And I thought the slicer felt cheap, compared to the Mandoline, but it worked well enough.But we'll definitely be doing these again!! :) I had to stop after 3 potatoes worth of slices...I was afraid I'd burn out my microwave. HAHA

Just used the MCM for the first time today - the whole family loved the results!! I did russet potatoes & sweet potatoes. Both turned out great - each very different from the other, but both were great :)

I'm wondering - do you think you could roast pumpkin seeds on the MCM?

I bought jicama and purple potatoes to try on the MCM. I'll let you know how they turn out.

how long do you cook the bacon in the microwave???

tinawhite07 said:
how long do you cook the bacon in the microwave???

Depends on YOUR microwave. As my hospital director says "I don't know your microwave". I would start with the lowest time setting and watch them. The second/third batches may take less time than the first because the microwave is already hot. I used the recipe that casme on the use & care guide, which if you don't still have you can easily search for on CC (search by tool....Ridged Baker).

we did hatch (hot) chilies on it last night so my daughter could add it to her homemade toffee she was making.
During it (first time use) my micro starting making weird noises (it's about 1 year old) anyone know why, I read it made soemone else's black out and turn off.

I think it could be the chilies. I was thawing a single jalapeno pepper in my microwave the other night. The stem was still on it, but the sucker caught fire!! (the stem portion). I had little flames inside. Shut off the microwave and pulled it out, and the stem was still glowing embers. I ran it under some water to extinguish.Not sure if peppers in a microwave like that are bad-joo-joo or not! But a quick google on the subject reveals it seems to be a common occurrence - peppers and carrots (and grapes) are some of the common ones apparently. Something about the minerals in peppers (and other certain veggies).

other then salt what other seasoniongs are you putting on the chips. I did it yesterday and thought they were really good also.

I made red potato chips for the 1st time tonight...although i am on South Beach wek one, I really couldn't eat them, but my hubby and son loved them. I used seasoning salt. I do plan to make some zucchini chips this evening for a snack with chili lime rub.

But I would like ideas of our rubs/seasonings you would use. I may use this for my end of summer/fall preview party.

We had friends over Sat night before I took my daughter off to college.
We sat in the kitchen and went thru lots of potatoes we made pickle chips, apples (not impressed with either of those) of course my use and care guide is missing
Seasonings we did like though
roasted garlic oil and sprinkled with dry ranch dressing
malt vinegar and dill
oil and salt and vinegar popcorn seasoning
buffalo rub
southwest seasoning
rosemary oil w citrus & basil rub (it was ok)
greek with roasted garlic oil
chipolte and olive oil
some batches i sprayed with crisco cooking spray sprinkled the applewood rub & the chili lime rub on those. Aslo made soem with the cheese popcorn seasoning
Really prefer the canned spray over brushing with basting brush.

PLANTAINS!!!!

They WERE AWESOME!!

FYI If you try zucchini, do not use setting #1...too thin :(

I just tried apple slices... can't say I'm too thrilled yet. Some of the apple slices were still too soft (underdone) while others were already a darker brown. I do have a turntable, so I'm not sure what the problem is yet.

Okay, I must be doing something wrong, but so far I'm having to give this product a :thumbdown: I burnt so many batches it was ridiculous. The batches that didn't burn weren't ever crisp enough. And I just kept thinking that it wasn't worth the trouble to make them. The simple slicer worked fine. I had some inconsistent slicing w/ the sweet potato, but regular potatoes turned out perfect. So I like the Simple Slicer just fine. But I'm not thrilled w/ the microwave chip maker. Maybe it was just my mom's microwave, though. I'll have to keep trying. Also, the sweet potatoes stained my Simple Slicer even though I washed it right away. And there is some discoloration on my microwave chip maker in spots where some of the chips were. :(But I don't think I'd do this for a show because microwaves can vary so much and these seem to be something that you really need to keep an eye on. That doesn't work well for me at a show because with talking and doing other things, I'd get distracted and let them go too long. (All the times on the PIG were WAY too long for my mom's microwave.)

babywings76 said:
Okay, I must be doing something wrong, but so far I'm having to give this product a :thumbdown: I burnt so many batches it was ridiculous. The batches that didn't burn weren't ever crisp enough. And I just kept thinking that it wasn't worth the trouble to make them. The simple slicer worked fine. I had some inconsistent slicing w/ the sweet potato, but regular potatoes turned out perfect. So I like the Simple Slicer just fine. But I'm not thrilled w/ the microwave chip maker. Maybe it was just my mom's microwave, though. I'll have to keep trying. Also, the sweet potatoes stained my Simple Slicer even though I washed it right away. And there is some discoloration on my microwave chip maker in spots where some of the chips were. :(

Same here. I have stains on my simple slicer from the sweet potatoes and they were soft or burned. Regular potatoes worked better. I have apples to try tomorrow but I'm not thrilled so far. What worries me is so many microwaves are different and what works at home may not work at a host's house.

I had the same problem with sweet potato. Stained slicer and several burnt batches. Came out ok at five minutes but soft in middle. Going to try russet potatos next. Not certain I would do this at show.

I've only tried russet potatoes so far. They turned out well, but way shorter time than directed.

I think the microwaves are so variable that it will be a pain. They say, "Haul less, sell more' or whatever but if I were doing the chips, I will either bring my own microwave or test before the party starts.

The first batch was a burnt. The second, not so bad. (My micro light is burnt out, so that doesn't really help!) The center chip was the most scorched, which surprised me. I love the flavor and the ease in MY microwave but I am a little leery! The reports of "hot" microwaves it making me nervous.

Mine cooked in 3 1/2 minutes, so that was a lot less than the directions said. I just don't want to worry about burning up someone's microwave! The chips were fantastic though!

priseortega said:
I had the same problem with sweet potato. Stained slicer and several burnt batches. Came out ok at five minutes but soft in middle. Going to try russet potatos next. Not certain I would do this at show.

The white potato generally took 4 minutes and the sweet potato was soft at 2 and 1/2 minutes but burnt at 3 in my microwave. I am trying apples today. I think I'll bring a white potato to shows and do part of it while setting up and a last batch at the show. That way I'll have an idea of how their microwave is cooking. But then soft batches have come out between crispy in mine... There's got to be some trick we are missing.

I wouldn't make chips at a show, since microwaves do vary a lot.

The purple potatoes worked well. I took them to a family gathering. The funniest thing was that when I would say I used purple potatoes people would ask if I meant red potatoes. In one case my mother said, "She means red potatoes." No! I know the difference between red and purple. Purple potatoes are purple all the way through. They're kind of cool, though they taste simply like regular potatoes.

Haven't tried the jicama yet.

I would only do these at a show for a TASTING... Or I'd make them ahead of time at my own home microwave (still, just enough for a tasting), and then demo the technique for one tray. Explain then that each person would have to experiment a bit with their own microwave to get the right times, etc.

I was thinking I could make these ahead of time for a show, since everyone's microwave is different, but I can't get good results consistently with my own microwave. My microwave is new and pretty powerful, but the chips are either slightly burned or slightly soggy (both in the same batch). When I try to season them, I get too much.

I wasn't impressed either. I have an older microwave and only did 1 tray at a time. I took WAY longer than the time recommended in my microwave. I went to a Fall Kick off last week and (I can't remember his name) a director from Atlanta said he is doing those as a demo but he always does a tray while he's setting up so he can figure out the microwave before he does it for guests.

If you have stains on your simple slicer, put some dishwasher gel on the stain, let it sit there for a little while, and it should bleach off. I used to do that with my other mandolines.

First time tonight with the Simple Slicer and Chip Maker. I used Yukon Gold Potatoes. I did two layers @ 9 min and they were a little over done. The next batch was only one layer for 5 min....a little under done. But DH and myself did like them.

Tried a home grown tomato with simple slicer and it really destroyed it on thickness #2.

So the jury is still out with me on both products.

I think this product is super fun and we will sell lots. Tonight I tried plain potatoes with salt = yum, Buffalo = yum, Creole = yum. Sweet potatoes with salt = yum, cinnamon = yum, apple sweet sprinkle = yum, cinnamon sweet sprinkle = yum. Next was apples. Not so crazy about those. I guess I expected them to be more chip-like. They were softer like dried apples. I used sprinkes and cinnamon and both = yum. I see selling this in a bundle with the slicer. I haven't penciled it out yet, but I'm sure it would be easy to get it to $60. I'm taking it and potatoes to every show with a couple of rubs. :love:

Sandi

Up to 10 minutes and not done yet!

ChefJWarren said:
Up to 10 minutes and not done yet!

Your microwave must really be weaker than most! Mine typically is 4-5 minutes (depending on what I'm making). At my cluster meeting, she put the sweet potato chips in the microwave and they were done in 2 minutes! Mine took 4.5 for the exact same thing.

Every microwave is different. Is yours cooking at full power??

I use my DCB all the time and use the times it says on here. It's a newer microwave.

I make bacon in my ridged baker in 6 minutes.

I finally threw them away after 16 minutes and they were still not done.

Did one layer and it took 10 minutes, probably could have went 10.5 minutes. Super good though! Ugh!

Funny you should mention roast pumpkin seeds. I was just in my pantry and saw the acorn squash my hubby bought! I thought to myself, I wonder if I can do this. And then I thought about zuchinni and yellow squash. Haven't read anything below this roast pumpkin seeds post, so maybe someone has tried!! Just a thought.
Virginia

krahema said:
Just used the MCM for the first time today - the whole family loved the results!! I did russet potatoes & sweet potatoes. Both turned out great - each very different from the other, but both were great :)

I'm wondering - do you think you could roast pumpkin seeds on the MCM?

Not sure why, but the instructions do say not to do any other foods other than the ones specifically listed. At conference the test kitchen lady said zucchini would not work because it has too much moisture. So just a caution.

WOW, you can get a lot of chips from 1 russett potato. I tried flavors - creole had a nice bite to it, chili lime not so much, no flavors, 1 tray, 2 trays. In all of the testing for 1 potato, the last batch I did was 2 trays for 6 or so minutes and they turned out the best of all tries. I had to share with my neighbor, and she loved them!

Yesterday when I played around with it, I left the exhaust fan from the micro on and I think it affected the texture. I also made extra sure that the extra moisture was blotted off each slice. I guess my micro is not so much powerful on the wattage if I have to cook them for so long.

After playing with it today and thinking of other veggies, I can see how the other veggies wouldn't work because of moiseture content. VA

Just found this on the PIG for the Chip Maker!!! VA

Other Suggested Uses:
• Pita chips: Halve a pita pocket horizontally into two disks. Lightly brush with oil; cut each
disk into 8 wedges (16 total). Position in single layer on tray.
o One tray – 1 minute; microwave in 30 second intervals until desired crispness is
reached.
o Two trays - 2 minutes; rotate trays top to bottom and microwave in 30 second
intervals until desired crispness is reached.
• Corn tortilla chips: Lightly brush tortilla with oil. Cut into 8 wedges. Position in single
layer on tray.
o One tray – 1 ½ minutes; microwave in 30 second intervals until desired crispness
is reached.For Consultant Use Only! 1241 – 08/2011
o Two trays - 2 ½ minutes; rotate trays top to bottom and microwave in 30 second

Oh my goodness!!! Finally got out my MCM today, and boy I am in trouble!! Those chips are sooooo addicting! I just tried regular white potatoes. I MUST pick up some sweet potatoes and apples very soon!

The information on Consultant Corner, again, says only potatoes, sweet potatoes and apple chips!

YUM! Crunchy Corn Tortilla Chips - 4 minutes - keep a watch on them, they could turn a little brown. Yes, they worked, no problem. Got the suggestion from the Product Information Guide on Consultants Corner! I had corn tortillas in my fridge.

My microwave went 2 hrs of cooking potato chips before the exhaust fan went on. Getting a head start on my show for tomorrow. I did 3 potatoes, after being cooked, since I did 2 flavors, I am storing them in the 3 cup prep bowls. Curious to see how they do over night. Just enough chips for taste testing, not feeding a crowd. Will do the sweet potato at the show after a run through with a regular potato to test the hosts microwave.
VA

Pamperedva said:

Other Suggested Uses:
• Pita chips: Halve a pita pocket horizontally into two disks. Lightly brush with oil; cut each
o One tray – 1 minute; microwave in 30 second intervals until desired crispness is
reached.
• Corn tortilla chips: Lightly brush tortilla with oil. Cut into 8 wedges. Position in single
layer on tray.
o One tray – 1 ½ minutes; microwave in 30 second intervals until desired crispness
is reached.
o Two trays - 2 ½ minutes; rotate trays top to bottom and microwave in 30 second

Pamperedva said:
YUM! Crunchy Corn Tortilla Chips - 4 minutes - keep a watch on them, they could turn a little brown. Yes, they worked, no problem. Got the suggestion from the Product Information Guide on Consultants Corner! I had corn tortillas in my fridge.

My microwave went 2 hrs of cooking potato chips before the exhaust fan went on. Getting a head start on my show for tomorrow. I did 3 potatoes, after being cooked, since I did 2 flavors, I am storing them in the 3 cup prep bowls. Curious to see how they do over night. Just enough chips for taste testing, not feeding a crowd. Will do the sweet potato at the show after a run through with a regular potato to test the hosts microwave.
VA

Pamperedva said:

Other Suggested Uses:
reached.
layer on tray.
is reached.For Consultant Use Only! 1241 – 08/2011

I wonder if that's from the original PIG, or if the PIG wasn't updated? The info that comes with the chip maker now specifically states not to use it for anything except the items listed, which were potatoes, sweet potatoes, apples and yucca.

I did a batch of potato chips and left them over night in a storage container. They didn't taste as great the next day.

NooraK said:
I wonder if that's from the original PIG, or if the PIG wasn't updated? The info that comes with the chip maker now specifically states not to use it for anything except the items listed, which were potatoes, sweet potatoes, apples and yucca.

I did a batch of potato chips and left them over night in a storage container. They didn't taste as great the next day.

Try a paper bag.. I heard something the other day in which the lady did that and they worked great....not sure how long though.

You can also recrisp them a bit by putting them back in the microwave (not worth the hassle though.)

I set a plate underneath the tray to catch any drippings, but I've made pepperoni slices on mine, and they are awesome. Lay them out, sprinkle with parmesan. They get crunchy like chips, but are low-carb friendly. They've got to be pretty low in fat too, actually, since the grease cooks out--like crispy bacon. No way to calculate that though. I know it's off-use, but I did it before the "no other foods" rule came out, and they're very good. :)

I know this is an old post, but I have a customer who needs help making sweet potato chips on the microwave chip maker. When I contacted the home office all they give is the information that comes with the product. My customer said her sweet potatoes burn. Thank you for your help.

My first instinct is that she's cooking them too long. Has she tried a shorter time?

She says when she cooks them less they do not get done.....

byrd1956 said:
She says when she cooks them less they do not get done.....
Well, I can't see them going from 'not done' to 'burnt' in just a few seconds...so she may have to play with the times. Every microwave is different too....so if she knows that say 5 minutes (I have no idea the time recommended), and they are not done, try another minute. If 6 minutes is too much, she tries 5 min 30 seconds, etc....until she finds the right time.I also learned, back when I had the chip maker (before it burned up my very expensive built in microwave so I got RID of the chip maker set)...but the time it took the first batch to cook to completeness, was usually more than the time it took the 4th batch. The oven was already warm, so the time decreased.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Jennie50
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
gfreechef
  • scottcooks
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
mspibb
  • Christ Follower