• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What Are Your Thoughts on Health Care in the South and Canada?

however, it is a lot better than what many people have in other countries. I think it's important to remember that we pay for this system through our taxes, and it is not free for everyone. Some people have more money than others, but for the majority of us, our health care is a right, not a privilege. Thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts on this important topic!
Intrepid_Chef
Silver Member
Health care has become an issue in the election in the states in the south ...

As fellow North Americans ... can you please post your thoughts on what you think of your health care system? Tell us your stories on both sides of the issue.

Those from the U.S. ...please don't crash this thread ... it is specifically for Canadians to tell us what they think.

Thanks so much for helping us make up our minds.

I have been getting a lot of PM's about this...

Our health care system is NOT perfect, I don't believe there will ever be a "perfect" system. But I am happy with our system. Our health care isn't free, we pay taxes too!!! But for those who are low income the system is "free". My husband and I pay $90 a month for basic medical just to give you an idea. As an employer we have benefits for our staff that include extended benefits w/dental that they other wise wouldn't have. Yes there are wait times for some procedures. But non of my family has ever had a problem receiving excellent medical care or had to wait for it. Members of my family have had to travel to receive special care in our country but I do live in a smaller community. And their medical coverage did cover the cost of travel etc. A lot of people will jump the gun so to speak and head for the border when most times it really isn't necessary. I believe firmly that they have to look for another doctor who is willing to take the time to treat them and provide better care. My friends dad needed a heart operation, they told him he would be put on a waiting list and it could take a couple of months. He found another doctor and had the operation with a month!!

For people who complain about our system I always feel that they would think differently if it was taken away. Most people who have medical coverage don't care it isn't any concern to them cause they are lucky enough to have it. The thought that a family would have to pay hundreds to thousands of dollars for medical coverage blows my mind. How do they do it?? It doesn't seem fair to me. I feel blessed to live in this country and receive everything it has to offer and I will never take it for granted.

These last couple of weeks have been hard enough on my husband and me and I can't think of how hard it would have been if we didn't have medical coverage. To think there are people who live in "the free world" who don't go to the doctor because they can't afford it, I think it is appalling.

There have been a couple rude narrow minded remarks from people on here about our health care system, but I don't really care!! I know that if tomorrow God forbid something happens to me or the people that I love here in Canada we will be taken care of and we won't have to worry about those medical costs:thumbup:

I didn't post to help make up or change anyones mind, but to share my feelings. After reading some of the American political threads I'm kind of scared to do so. There sure has been some awful nastiness:thumbdown:

http://www.smilieshq.com/smilies/char1/character0264.gif

rennea It is really good to hear other peoples opinions on socialized medicine. I have heard from someone who lived in Canada that once you get a dr you cant switch dr.s if you dont like them is that true in your case?

Thanks, Rennea .... and just so ya know ... waiting for surgery isn't just in the Great White North ... my ex-director's dad found out he needed heart surgery around the time of conference and it wasn't done until earlier this month and they told him he could die waiting to have it ... I think there was a fair amount of testing in the interim, though.

Jennie4PC said:
rennea It is really good to hear other peoples opinions on socialized medicine. I have heard from someone who lived in Canada that once you get a dr you cant switch dr.s if you dont like them is that true in your case?

They don't want you to switch and some clinics may give you a bit of a hassle but yes it is your "right" to have a different doctor if you want.

Also I should add:

Health care in Canada is funded and delivered through a publicly-funded health care system, with most services provided by private entities. While the Canadian government calls it a "public system, it is not "socialized medicine".

I have to "ditto" Rennea's thoughts on Health Care in Canada.That is not to say our health care system is perfect. We are taxed heavily to finance this and other publicly funded programs.As Rennea said, there are instances wherein people experience wait times for certain procedures. There is a shortage of doctors (and other health-care professionals) in more rural areas.Having said that, though, it is comforting to know that a low-income family can take there baby to the ER without having to worry about how they'll pay the bill for the hospital visit. That seniors on fixed income are able to seek medical attention, knowing that they won't have to choose between home heating oil or visit to the Dr.We do have two-tiered health care to an extent. There are increasing numbers of private clinics. Those of use who pay for health insurance (on top of what's covered by gov't) can choose to wait for publicly funded physio, OT, speech therapy, etc., or we can go to private practices and have much of the cost covered by our insurance.So.... to echo Rennea.... "YES!!!! I do love my national health care!!"

I ditto Reanna & PEIChef's comments above, and wanted to add my own two-cents.

As an American transplanted in Canada, I've lived in both. I LOVE the Health Care System here, and a MAJOR reason why I remained here after leaving my husband. I have seen some drawbacks, but all considered it's a working system. I can only speak from my own experience. Before moving to Canada we didn't have insurance for 2 years and KNOW the stress that it causes. I should say too, that I've lived in Canada for 10 years now.

I had a serious health issue a couple years ago and almost died, I didn't fill out one single form, I didn't have a wait time when I landed in the ER (late at night), I spent a week in the hospital before surgery (had to wait until my blood levels were ok for surgery) and 3 days after and didn't 'pay' a single dime for my stay. I realize my taxes are paying for it. But after growing up in a US military family and the military's socialized medicine, this was a totally DIFFERENT POSITIVE experience. I had a gall stone stuck in my pancreas.

During my pregnancy and birth of my daughter two years ago I was constantly amazed at the amount of care I was given and didn't fill out a form, show proof of insurance etc... I had my baby and left the hospital. The LESS stress of all of that was just amazing.

Last edited:
lotsadots...question -- so after having your baby and the whole pancreas thing, did you have to pay alot out of pocket? Do they have deductibles or co-pays?

I like the way it sounds, that's for sure.

I think it's great that it works there and you guys are having good success. Unfortunately I highly doubt the US can mirror the government that Canada has and the system. We have so many things screwed up right now, I doubt we could get healthcare right!

Janice
I can answer your question about paying out of pocket after a hospital stay. If she stayed in a "ward room" all her costs (save tv & phone) would be covered. If she chose a semi-private or private room she would have paid a small amount, depending on her private health insurance. For example, when I had my children, I chose to have a private room. It cost me $10/night for the private room. So my hospital stay of 8 days cost me less than $100, plus my DH had a cot & stayed with me (no extra charge for that).

I didn't have private insurance or any additional coverage... I didn't pay anything. There were no deductables or co-pays. When I was in for my gall bladder/pancreas, I did pay for my TV and cable, but I hardly watched the TV since I was in so much pain. And that is charged to your home phone bill.I chose to have a private room when I had my baby, but i did luck out and the floor wasn't full so I didn't have to share my room, nor pay for it being private. I think it would've been $50 a night for a private room with not having additional insurance.

I have to ditto what has been said above, I appreciate our health care system - at least in Ontario. Definite improvements that I would want if I was in charge - but overall it is a good system.

Ditto here. A lot of companies are also offering great benefits at a low cost to employees. My benefits cost me $25 / month for my boyfriend and I. We're covered for prescriptions, hospital expenses, dental care, vision care, life insurance, etc...

Thought I'd revive this because every time I turn on the radio, I hear scare tactics pushed by the people plugging This web siteMeanwhile, a friend of mine, a transplant from Michigan, now lives in Montreal and waited months for a hernia operation, and only got in because there was a cancelation.Here in Ohio, I pay $43.27 a pay period (that's about $87 a month) for a health care plan that provides cruddy prescription insurance (it's generally cheaper to go to Wal-Mart or my grocery store, pretend I don't have insurance, and buy it through their $4 generic plan than to pay $20 for three months for mail-order) has a $1,000 deductible (though I do get half of that reimbursed through an HRA account) and then 80 percent coverage after that. Meanwhile, my low-income roomate gets every script free or for $2 and never has to pay a co-pay for anything.I honestly don't think the health care is going to happen ... it's a political minefield ... but I ppreciate all of your thoughts.

Di_Can_Cook said:
Thought I'd revive this because every time I turn on the radio, I hear scare tactics pushed by the people plugging This web siteMeanwhile, a friend of mine, a transplant from Michigan, now lives in Montreal and waited months for a hernia operation, and only got in because there was a cancelation.Here in Ohio, I pay $43.27 a pay period (that's about $87 a month) for a health care plan that provides cruddy prescription insurance (it's generally cheaper to go to Wal-Mart or my grocery store, pretend I don't have insurance, and buy it through their $4 generic plan than to pay $20 for three months for mail-order) has a $1,000 deductible (though I do get half of that reimbursed through an HRA account) and then 80 percent coverage after that. Meanwhile, my low-income roomate gets every script free or for $2 and never has to pay a co-pay for anything.I honestly don't think the health care is going to happen ... it's a political minefield ... but I ppreciate all of your thoughts.
Hey - thanks for the link! Just signed it and passed it on! :DAS someone who has a mother w/ Alzheimers, I have paid VERY close attention to the so-called Health Care Bill - and it is frightening.It's not the same plan that has been implemented in Canada. Read the Bill.Oh - and add to that - My DH works for a Senior Assisted Living Center. If this Bill passes, he will be out of a job within 5 years. The whole Private Senior Health Care Industry will be gone. That's just great. I guess people wanted change though, huh?

I have been talking to some people about this, having formally worked in medical before pampered chef...

I do believe there is a wide gap of ins that does not cover the "working poor" (for lack of a better word). It is not fair for those people. I think that in order to have "National Healthcare", you should produce a W2 or 1099 or some other proof of employment. I do not want my healthcare to be taxed to pay for those on welfare. Sorry, but that's my opinon. I have a good friend and her husband who do not have ins and the husband works very hard. I think they would be thrilled to be able to produce some tax forms and pay a little out of their paycheck to be able to have medical coverage.

chefsteph07 said:
I have been talking to some people about this, having formally worked in medical before pampered chef...

I do believe there is a wide gap of ins that does not cover the "working poor" (for lack of a better word). It is not fair for those people. I think that in order to have "National Healthcare", you should produce a W2 or 1099 or some other proof of employment. I do not want my healthcare to be taxed to pay for those on welfare. Sorry, but that's my opinon. I have a good friend and her husband who do not have ins and the husband works very hard. I think they would be thrilled to be able to produce some tax forms and pay a little out of their paycheck to be able to have medical coverage.

I have no problem with that. What I take issue with is all of the extras thrown in on this bill. This bill is not about providing health care to those who don't have coverage (the "working poor").

Please people - READ IT! You MUST read it! Don't just assume that gov't has your best interests at heart, and that it will be good for everyone.

Read The Bill.

Primary health care in the UK is available to everyone whether he or she can afford it or not. I know there are injustices within the system such as drugs being available in area and not in another, but for the most part, it's fine. The more urgent your case is the better! Heart attacks, road accident all get the best possible care by dedicated staff.

Where it falls down is in the referral via a GP (General Doctor) you can have long wait for the more common surgeries.

It’s not prefect we know that, but people here in the UK are very proud of it.

For some unknown reason people in Scotland and Wales don’t pay for subscriptions while those of in England do. How weird is that! Currently at a rate of £7.10 per item. If your unemployed or over sixty five or are pregnant then you get free ones. These rest of us have to pay, if you have a regular requirements then a pre payment system is in place and we can pay £120.00 for a year.

Just another view from the across the pond.

My mom's friend lives in Canada and was scheduled for a colonoscopy, it took her a year for an appt. My husband on the other hand, was scheduled, had procedure, and post op appts taken care of all within 3 weeks.

I sure hope my mom's friend doesn't have cancer...she'll be dead by the time she gets her appt. THAT is what I do not like about national or gov't healthcare.

chefsteph07 said:
My mom's friend lives in Canada and was scheduled for a colonoscopy, it took her a year for an appt. My husband on the other hand, was scheduled, had procedure, and post op appts taken care of all within 3 weeks.

I sure hope my mom's friend doesn't have cancer...she'll be dead by the time she gets her appt. THAT is what I do not like about national or gov't healthcare.

I have never heard of a colonscopy taking that long here EVER!!! An employee of mine just had one done and it only took a couple of days to get him in.

I recently posted the following elsewhere:
In other news, they are changing our health insurance. Sigh. $2,000 deductible, 10 percent increase in premiums, and God help you if you need a prescription that's not generic. $100 for three months or $40 for a month? It's almost like having no insurance. Of course, they are graciously putting another $100 into our HRA account ... so if I can keep my med expenses under $600, I'm good. Heaven help me if I need surgery.
And Candadian friend posted:
Note to self: I will never, ever again wish I didn't have a $60 deductible... and that's just for prescrip meds. Yall just need to move here! If you need an MRI you'll wait two years, but at least you won't have to pay for it.
She later clarified that it's $60 total per year, not per prescription.

"wait 2 yrs for an MRI"??? REALLY?
Hmph...yeah, that's SO much better than here. (rolls eyes)
Thanks, I'll pay $80 per month to live.

"Yall just need to move here! If you need an MRI you'll wait two years, but at least you won't have to pay for it."

That is bull crap!! That is just somebody wanting to be a jerk. It doesn't take 2 years for a MRI here. I don't know why people lie about stuff like that. All it does is keep those Americans that don't want people to have health care going on their bandwagon. Really ticks me off BIG TIME!!!

rennea said:
"Yall just need to move here! If you need an MRI you'll wait two years, but at least you won't have to pay for it."

That is bull crap!! That is just somebody wanting to be a jerk. It doesn't take 2 years for a MRI here. I don't know why people lie about stuff like that. All it does is keep those Americans that don't want people to have health care going on their bandwagon. Really ticks me off BIG TIME!!!

You really can't compare the health care system in Canada to what is being proposed here in the States. They are NOT the same. I ignore all of the comparisons between what we have now and what Canada has, because even if the bill passes here, it won't be what is now in place in Canada.

What are the benefits of having a good health care system?

A good health care system ensures access to affordable and quality medical care for individuals and families. It also helps in preventing and managing diseases, promoting healthy lifestyles, and improving overall public health.

What are the main challenges facing the current health care system?

Some of the main challenges facing the current health care system include rising costs, unequal access to care, and the lack of focus on preventive care. Additionally, there are also issues with inefficiency, lack of coordination between providers, and the aging population putting strain on the system.

What is your stance on universal health care?

As a company, we do not take a political stance on universal health care. However, we believe that everyone should have access to affordable and quality health care. It is important for individuals to have the ability to seek medical treatment without financial burden.

How can individuals take control of their own health care?

Individuals can take control of their own health care by staying informed about their health, making healthy lifestyle choices, and regularly visiting a primary care physician. It is also important to understand health insurance options and utilize preventive care services.

What role does technology play in the future of health care?

Technology plays a crucial role in the future of health care by improving efficiency, accuracy, and accessibility. With advancements in telemedicine, electronic health records, and wearable devices, individuals will have more control over their health and can receive personalized care. Additionally, technology can help reduce costs and improve communication between providers and patients.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
baychef
  • Mr. Pampered Chef
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
pamperedlinda
  • kkimpinski
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies