• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Your Favorite (Cheap) Meatless Salad Recipe?

P
Pampered Laura
I have a host for tonight that is strict vegetarian and will not allow meat in her home at all. I offered to bring the recipe ingredients for a salad to do a QUICK demo.
I need a (cheap) meatless salad recipe...
Anyone have ideas?

PS: The Spin on Salads cookbook is no help, alot of those have meat in them and are too fancy for this party.

Thanks!!! :D

How about a 7-layer salad?

Personally, I don't think you can go wrong with a simple tossed salad: A variety of greens (dried in the Salad Spinner, of course), tomatoes (Tomato Knife), cucumbers (Corer & Crinkle Cutter), cheese (Deluxe Cheese Grater), and dressing (Mix & Pour).

I did the Strawberry Spinach Salad last night for a show - Everyone there LOVED it! It is very good!

If you are looking for something more "main-dishish".........the 7 Layer Southwestern Salad can easily be made w/o the chicken, and it is also delicious! It has a layer of black beans, and a layer of cheese - so it is still very filling w/o the chicken.

Sorry~ Meant to attach the recipes!

Attachments

• SevenLayer Southwestern Salad.doc
    20.5 KB · Views: 317
  • Strawberry Spinach Salad.doc
    20.5 KB · Views: 318
Thanks for the suggestions! I'm hoping to find some kind of "hearty" salad that has no meat in it. Hmmm.....
edit: just saw your answer, Becky!

Yummy saladI posted about this recipe awhile ago. It is awesome, and very filling without meat in it.

HTH!

Attachments

• Butch's Wild West Tex-Mex Salad.doc
    66 KB · Views: 394
The 7-layer Southwestern fits the bill. I usually use 2 cans of beans, just to make it a more substantial layer. It will also add more protein that way.

How about:
good greek salad or
mesculin mix with toasted pecans, blue cheese and pears and a vinagrette or
the Asian citrus salad without chicken

I think I'm going to go with the 7 Layer SW salad. It looks EASY to do, which is right up my alley. :D
Do yall think this will fit nicely in the Trifle bowl when it's all layered up?

Pampered Laura said:
I think I'm going to go with the 7 Layer SW salad. It looks EASY to do, which is right up my alley. :D
Do yall think this will fit nicely in the Trifle bowl when it's all layered up?

I've tried it in the Trifle Bowl, and what I discovered is that it was hard to reach all the layers when scooping it out.....with a trifle, you have 3-4 layers, so if you don't reach all the way to the bottom, you are still getting the full effect, but with this, it was hard to do.

I have been doing this at almost all of my shows - it's simple, impressive, and everyone loves it. I have been serving it in the Dots large round bowl, sitting on top of an upside-down Dots small bowl, and then serving the 5 minute salsa in another Dots Small Bowl w/ a Woven basket of Chips. It is so simple! In fact, I'm doing it tomorrow for a Bridal Shower Show!

Phew, I'm glad I asked!
Round Bowl it is! Thanks Becky! ;)

A cluster mate does the 7 lyr SW in the trifle bowl. She does 2 sets of layers, and makes sure that when she puts in the "small" layers (beans and green pepper) she just makes a ring around the edge so that it shows, then fills in the center with some lettuce. You only have to dig down through half the depth of the trifle bowl then to get everything.

I have been making the layerer south west salad in my triffle bowl at a ton of shows. I think it works ok. I just do lettuce on the bottom and top and the layers in the middle. I also line the outside of the bowl with sliced roma tomatos, like the limes on the cover. It has gone over very well

When I make it, I usually use a mix of colored bell peppers (not just green) and then with the Creative Cutters, I cut out Red and Green Peppers and yellow and orange stars and sprinkle them over the top of the Salad - very pretty!
Oh and sometimes I add a layer of Sweet Corn (I use frozen. thawed)

Another good one would be the Mediteranian (sp?) Cafe salad without the chicken!

or cornbread salad is beautiful in the trifle

Teresa Lynn said:
or cornbread salad is beautiful in the trifle

What is that? It sounds interesting!

This one looks good to me... Is cheese tortellini OK?Confetti Pasta Salad

Ingredients:
1 cup coarsely chopped broccoli
1 cup coarsely chopped cauliflower
1 package (9 ounces) refrigerated cheese-filled tortellini, cooked and drained
1 medium carrot, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons thinly sliced green onions
1 garlic clove, pressed
1/2 cup fat-free Italian salad dressing
1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (optional)
1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated fresh Parmesan cheese

Directions:
1. Combine all ingredients except Parmesan cheese in Classic Batter Bowl; toss gently.

2. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Serve using Stainless Serving Spoon.

Yield: 8 servings

Nutrients per serving: (1 cup): Calories 140, Total Fat 3.5 g, Saturated Fat 2 g, Cholesterol 15 mg, Carbohydrate 19 g, Protein 7 g, Sodium 490 mg, Fiber 2 g

©The Pampered Chef, Ltd. 2003

Cornbread salad

bake a box of cornbread add ingred. to make it plus
4 oz can diced green chilis
1/8 tsp cumin
1/8 tsp oregano
Bake 20 - 25 minutes at 400 cool & crumble
1 cup mayo
1 cup sour cream
1 pkg hidden vally ranch dressing
2 cans pinto beans drained
2 cans corn drained
3 med. tomatoes copped
1 cup green pepper chopped
1 c onions chopped
1 pound bacon cooked crisp & crumbled
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese

mix mayo, sour cream and HV dressing. set aside
mix all veggies in large bowl set aside
layer in a 9 x 13 cornbread, dressing and veggies, repeat top with mayo mixture , cheese and bacon.

These salads are awesome. Yummy!!

Julie

THANK YOU, thank you,,,,, I had planned on making a salad at my show tomororw and was thinking about something like the 7 layer salad in my trifle bowl. I was so hoping I would find something on here telling if someone had done it and how well it worked.

Homemade creative saladHere is a creative homemade salad I once made in my trifle:

Romaine Lettuce

Roma Tomatoes

Cheddar Cheese

Red Boiled Potatoes cooled

Italian Dressing

Avocadoe chunks

croutons

It is something I crave in my pregnancy.

Debbie :D

Here's one I love:

The Pampered Chef ®
Mediterranean Hummus Squares
Season’s Best, page 5

2 pkg (235 g each) refrigerated crescent rolls
1 lemon
1 container (227 g) classic hummus dip
1/4 cup (50 mL) sour cream
1 clove garlic, pressed
1/2 cup (125 mL) pitted black olives, sliced
1/2 medium cucumber, seeded and coarsely chopped
1/4 medium red onion, sliced (½ cup/125 mL)
3 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
1 tbsp (15 mL) Pantry Basil Oil
2 oz (60 g) feta cheese, crumbled (½ cup/125 mL)
1/4 cup (50 mL) snipped fresh basil leaves

Preheat oven to 375°F/190°C. Unroll one package of crescent dough across one end of Stoneware Bar Pan with longest sides of dough across width of pan. Repeat with remaining package of dough, filling pan. Using Baker's Roller®, roll dough to seal seams and press up sides to form crust. Bake 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven to Stackable Cooling Rack; cool completely.

Zest lemon using Microplane™ Adjustable Grater to measure 1 tsp/5 mL zest. In Small Batter Bowl, combine lemon zest, hummus dip, sour cream and garlic pressed with Garlic Press; whisk until smooth using Stainless Steel Whisk. Spread hummus mixture evenly over crust using Large Spreader.

Slice olives using Egg Slicer Plus®. Remove seeds from cucumber using The Corer™. Coarsely chop cucumber using Food Chopper. Using Ultimate Slice & Grate fitted with v-shaped blade, slice onion lengthwise. Slice tomatoes in half crosswise using Chef's Knife; remove seeds using Cook's Corer™ and dice. Place olives, cucumber, onion, tomato and basil oil in Classic Batter Bowl; stir gently. Spoon olive mixture evenly over hummus layer. Sprinkle with feta cheese and basil. Cut into squares with Utility Knife; serve using Mini-Serving Spatula.

Yield: 24 appetizers

Per serving: (1 appetizer) Calories 110, Total Fat 7 g, Saturated Fat 1.5 g, Cholesterol 5 mg, Sodium 230 mg, Carbohydrate 10 g, Fibre 1 g, Protein 3 g

Cook's Tip: Substitute 1 tbsp/15 mL olive oil for Pantry Basil Oil, if desired.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
Antipasto pizza is yummy too.

I can't wait to make some of these salads. I'm hoping to get my family to eat salad if I make them this way. Thanks, everyone, for sharing.

1. Can you provide a vegetarian alternative to meat in a salad?

Yes, my favorite cheap meatless salad recipe includes roasted chickpeas as a protein source. They provide a satisfying crunch and can be seasoned with a variety of spices for added flavor.

2. What ingredients are needed for this salad recipe?

The ingredients for this salad recipe include: mixed greens, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, red onion, bell pepper, roasted chickpeas, feta cheese, and a homemade vinaigrette dressing.

3. How can the salad be made quickly for a demo?

The salad can be made quickly by prepping the ingredients beforehand and assembling them right before the demo. You can also make the dressing ahead of time and store it in a jar for easy pouring.

4. Is this recipe budget-friendly?

Yes, this salad recipe is very budget-friendly as it uses simple and affordable ingredients. You can also substitute any of the vegetables with ones that are currently in season to save even more money.

5. Can this recipe be easily customized?

Absolutely! You can easily customize this salad recipe by adding or omitting any vegetables, adjusting the seasoning on the chickpeas, or using a different type of cheese. It can also be made vegan by omitting the feta cheese or using a plant-based alternative.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Chefstover2
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
JAE
  • MissChef
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
babywings76
  • Sheila