• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Youngest Son....possible Major Allergy From a Tick Bite

In summary, the lady's son has developed an allergy to mammalian meat and should avoid beef, pork, lamb, venison, and dairy products. Her son is taking it well, but she is worried about the future. She is also worried about her ability to process this information. Her son is 10 years old and she is crying every night since she found out.
esavvymom
Staff member
In the last week, my son has noticed his mouth goes numb after he eats beef (usually before he finishes the meal). A common problem in this area (SOutheast USA) is "alpha gal allergy" resulting from Lone star tick bites, which he had two or three weeks ago. Now I am afraid he has developed this allergy to mammal meat (beef, pork, lamb, venison, etc....sometimes even dairy). So far, two steaks and a beef hot dog have triggered it. We are supposed to see thedoctor this week. Thankfully, she was fully aware of this allergy and actually suspected it as soon as I told her. Her facially expression said it all too (I saw her outside of the office and asked her about it).

So I am praying we get answers, so we can proceed accordingly. I am praying we can avoid future bites as much as possible, since more bites can make it worse over time. My son is only 10 and it just breaks my heart that he may have to live with something like this. Allergies are so hard anyway, but when it is such a major food source and can be found in so many products!! Andthe poor kid loves beef! He is taking it well though. I am trying to not scare him, but I know from research that it can be very serious! The doctor is going to prescribe Epipens just in case.

And I guess finally, I am praying I can maintain composure in front of him while I process this too. I cried myself to sleep last night....thinking I screwed up because I wasnt more vigilant about bug spray (we live in the country).

Thanks guys.

I am so sorry, Bobbi. I will keep him in my thoughts.

Same here Bobbi- he's in my prayers.

So sorry to hear this, Bobbi. I'll be praying.

Well, I haven't got the lab results in my hands, but the doctor left a message for me today that my son DID test positive for the Alpha Gal antibodies and he should in fact avoid beef, pork, lamb (basically all mammal meat). *sigh* I'm not surprised, but it stings. He's 10 yrs old. Now I just pray that the allergy stays mild, and doesn't develop into the Dairy world as well! Thankfully, turkey and chicken products are so prevalent....just have to be careful when they mix with beef/pork, or like with sausage, use pork or beef casings.Time to get serious I guess about our food and diet, as well as wage war on the ticks and chiggers in my yard!! More bites can lead to more antibody reactions, making the allergy worse.Thanks for praying. Now I just need to keep it together today. Tears are on the edge as I type.

here is our bug spray we use now....if you live in tick country, it's worth it to spend the extra money to protect your children and yourself! I just wish I had been more diligent sooner. :(The lady who gave this to me, her family camps alot, and she says they NEVER have issues, whereas the other campers will get eaten alive. You smell like a pickle when you first apply it, but it goes away, and the oils feel good on your skin. The oils can be found at most health food stores, like Whole Foods, or someplace that sells essential oils. I know you can get some online too.
Here's my recipe for Natural Tick and Mosquito Spray (for humans and pets):

2 cps Apple Cider Vinegar
1/4 cp Almond Oil (OR GRAPESEED OIL- to be NUT SAFE?)
40 Drops Rose Geranium Oil
20 Drops Mint Oil (any-I prefer Spearmint)
20 Drops Citrus Oil (any- I prefer Lemon)

Place in a spray bottle and remember, you must SHAKE it before each use!

Last edited:
Thanks for recipe! We have tons of mosquitos in summer and I hate using OFF etc. Great to have the recipe!

1. What are the symptoms of a possible major allergy from a tick bite?

The symptoms of a possible major allergy from a tick bite may include a rash or hives, swelling around the bite area, difficulty breathing, dizziness, and nausea.

2. How can I tell if my youngest son has a major allergy from a tick bite?

If your youngest son experiences any of the symptoms mentioned above after being bitten by a tick, it is important to seek medical attention immediately. A doctor will be able to properly diagnose and treat any potential allergy.

3. Can a major allergy from a tick bite be treated?

Yes, a major allergy from a tick bite can be treated. Depending on the severity of the allergy, a doctor may prescribe antihistamines or epinephrine injections to manage symptoms. It is important to seek medical treatment as soon as possible to prevent any serious complications.

4. How can I prevent my youngest son from getting a tick bite?

To prevent tick bites, it is important to avoid areas with high grass or brush, wear protective clothing, and use insect repellent. After spending time outdoors, make sure to thoroughly check for ticks on your son's body and remove them immediately if found.

5. Are there any long-term effects of a major allergy from a tick bite?

In rare cases, a major allergy from a tick bite may lead to anaphylaxis, which is a severe and potentially life-threatening reaction. It is important to monitor your son's symptoms and seek medical attention if they worsen or persist. In most cases, with proper treatment, there are no long-term effects of a tick bite allergy.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
peichef
Replies
Views
3RingChef
Replies
Views
KateD
Replies
Views