• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Did Pampered Chef Charge Me Twice for My Order at Conference?

or more, to be considered in the "time statute of limitations". I'm not sure what the time limit is for a CC to be processed, but if it's anything like 30 days I imagine that would be a good estimate. I wouldn't go as far as to say that they are illegally waiting, but I would say that their process needs improvement. Anyone who is getting these invoices or calls from Merrill, are you making restitution or are you paying it? As much as I don't want to pay it, I still purchased from them, so I"ll end up paying it EVENTUALLY, but I don't think it's right!This sounds like a job for a lawyer.
KellyTheChef
Gold Member
Guess what I received in the mail today?

A letter from Merrill saying my order FROM JULY AT CONFERENCE was not charged to my card till now...and now it was declined cuz it was my $300 conference cash card which doesn't have any money left on it!!

Now I owe them $37....

I do understand that it is a valid charge...I am just frustrated that they are just now telling me about this. A couple of months ago when others were getting told the same thing...I looked into my charges and I really thought that all of them went through. Ugh.

Thanks for letting me vent.:yuck: :cry: :mad: :yuck: :cry: :mad:

Man, that's ridiculous. Frankly, if I discovered today that I'd failed to put through a credit card charge or cash a check from four months ago, I'd eat the cost.

I agree
raebates said:
Man, that's ridiculous. Frankly, if I discovered today that I'd failed to put through a credit card charge or cash a check from four months ago, I'd eat the cost.

I agree. And it has happened to me once. I forgot to cash a check and when I went to deposit, I lost it. :rolleyes: After about 6 weeks I found it and I didn't cash it. It was only $24 and some change thank God. The customer was thankful and insisted I take payment, I said no thanks it was my fault. So she booked a show!! $500 show, not bad!!

Debbie :D

How could it possibly take them this long to catch this???? I have to be honest, I've stopped dealing with Merril...I have not heard good things about them from other DS reps either. many companies use them and are not impressed. They are expensive...don't seem to work in a timely fashion, their shipping is screwy...wish we could use someone else.

I am losing more and more faith in them. The ONLY reason I ordered anything at all was cuz I was at NC and could actually TRY IT ON...and then shipping wasn't too bad from orders there. Otherwise, I refuse to use them. I really wish we had a second choice for clothing and printed PC items.

Okay, all you HO snoopers, please pass along the comments. Thanks.

Kelly, don't rely on HO reading your message here... send them an e-mail directly and send one to Jean Jonas as well. 4 months for business building materials is bullsh**. And HO is always telling us to use logo items to build our businesses!

KellyTheChef said:
Guess what I received in the mail today?

A letter from Merrill saying my order FROM JULY AT CONFERENCE was not charged to my card till now...and now it was declined cuz it was my $300 conference cash card which doesn't have any money left on it!!

Now I owe them $37....

I do understand that it is a valid charge...I am just frustrated that they are just now telling me about this. A couple of months ago when others were getting told the same thing...I looked into my charges and I really thought that all of them went through. Ugh.

Thanks for letting me vent.:yuck: :cry: :mad: :yuck: :cry: :mad:
Write them a very polite letter, informing them that failure to transact business in a timely fashion is their problem and not yours. Further, tell them (very politely) to go pound sand. Make sure you CC home office.

If they give you any more grief, have you lawyer sent them the next letter.

Can they legally wait this long to bill you? Isn't there any sort of time statute of limitations for a CC to be processed? I'd look in to it if I were you.

finley1991 said:
Kelly, don't rely on HO reading your message here... send them an e-mail directly and send one to Jean Jonas as well. 4 months for business building materials is bullsh**. And HO is always telling us to use logo items to build our businesses!

I believe you are correct - I'm sure they try to keep up on threads that obviously affect them but don't have time to read everything - send them and e-mail or call directly if you want your opinion heard.

Funny that this post came today..I JUST received a letter from Merrill TODAY w/ an invoice for my purchases at conference and the letter stated that when they ran my credit card it was DECLINED. Gee, ya think???
Anyone who is getting these invoices or calls from Merrill, are you making restitution or are you paying it? As much as I don't want to pay it, I still purchased from them, so I"ll end up paying it EVENTUALLY, but I don't think it's right!

This sounds like a job for a lawyer. I know that I'd definitely consider 4 months unacceptable and unrealistic for a charge. They can't charge your card until the items ship (or aren't supposed to), but is there a law about the time frame they have to process payment AFTER shipment?IMO, Merrill was completely unprepared for the volume of consultants and orders through their area. Which was mind-boggling, considering that it wasn't their first year at a PC Conference. They MUST have seen the lines at VIP last year. Why wouldn't they assume that they would have the same number of customers and orders?

Funny...while every one else was replying here...I was busy typing up my email to HO and Merrill. Here's what I wrote. Sorry it is "rambling"...I am so MAD that I can't even think straight!

Dear Pampered Chef and Merrill Corp~

I just received a letter from Merrill Corp this afternoon stating that I owe them $37.05. Back in JULY while attending National Conference I placed a couple of different orders. My final piece to be delivered was the quilted jacket. I received this back in EARLY AUGUST. Why wasn't my card charged then? Why am I getting this nonpayment letter THREE MONTHS LATER??? This is ridiculous. If I was that inept at following through with Pampered Chef orders for my customers, Pampered Chef would terminate my contract.

I do NOT understand why I am just now being told that this charge did not go through...or why the FIRST letter I receive includes a threat for collections. The reason the card was declined is because I had used my $300 conference cash Visa to purchase my orders. I (mistakenly, obviously) thought that all of my charges had gone through, so I used up the last of the cash that was available with a supply order for Pampered Chef business supplies.

I am NOT happy that we only have one choice in companies to purchase PC logo items of clothing and logo paperwork. We need at a MINIMUM of one other vendor. Merrill has crazy sizing (my ordered items range from a medium to an XL) and the quality is not consistent. At conference, there was a beautifully crafted black sparkle 3/4 length shirt in a medium. It didn't fit, so I looked for a large. The large was made from a different company and was OBVIOUSLY not made as well. The quality of items needs to be consistent. Sizes in specific measurement (if they MUST range so drastically) should be listed for each item. (Example- small shirt measures 30" across the breast, 29" at waist, and is xx" long.) If you are going to have different manufacturers for different styles...and for different sizes like my example above...you should tell us EXACTLY what the size runs! Or...allow PRE-PAID returns...Something. I am so disappointed in The Pampered Chef's decision to allow only ONE choice of a logo vendor. Why should Merrill give a whip about taking care of us and treating us right...if they know that we have NO OTHER OPTION than to buy from them?

I can't even go back and verify that my charge card was never charged for this, because the PC Gift VISA company can't print out my statement.

I am so upset and disappointed right now,
I would appreciate a response from both Merrill Corp and Pampered Chef regarding my email.
Thank you.

Who has Jean Jonas email? Is it just [email protected]??

I'm glad you did this, Kelly. I assumed you would address this with both Merrill and PC. (My comment about the HO snoopers was a joke that obviously fell very flat. :eek: )

Kelly-Did you not get a phone call like some of the others who posted a while back? I didn't. I thought since I didn't hear from them AT THAT TIME when everyone seemed to be getting their calls that I was ok..I had long ago cut up that card, so I have no idea what the card number even was or anything. I think it is crazy!!!!
And you are right in your letter, what would happen if you didn't put a PC show through for 4 months? I think PC would have serious issues with that if customers started calling about it! I'm curious to know if you get any kind of response.

Hey Kelly - you don't have to sugar-coat it! Tell them how you really feel! LOL.

Seriously, I think you got your point very clearly explained to them.

That address must be right...I just forwarded my email to her and got an "out of office till Tuesday November 13th" message.

Rae~

I know that HO reads over this site...some of the snoopers probably already read what I wrote. But...I know that a personal email will get a lot more accomplished!

I seriously hope HO adds another vendor for us. This is getting so old.

chefsteph07 said:
Did you not get a phone call like some of the others who posted a while back? I didn't. I thought since I didn't hear from them AT THAT TIME when everyone seemed to be getting their calls that I was ok..I had long ago cut up that card, so I have no idea what the card number even was or anything. I think it is crazy!!!!
And you are right in your letter, what would happen if you didn't put a PC show through for 4 months? I think PC would have serious issues with that if customers started calling about it! I'm curious to know if you get any kind of response.
no. no call!

There is an option on CC under Home Office emails for Lisenced Merchandise Vendor Comments. I'd copy it there too if I were you. If you don't hear anything in a few days I'd also send it through USPS mail with a Return Receipt request.

pamperedlinda said:
Hey Kelly - you don't have to sugar-coat it! Tell them how you really feel! LOL.

Seriously, I think you got your point very clearly explained to them.
Linda~

Thanks for the MUCH NEEDED LAUGH!!

OK...I am done whining now...

Oh yeah, one more thing....how ironic that it was timed to arrive to you on a Friday afternoon of a holiday weekend.....now you'll probably have to stew and worry about this until Tuesday.

Last edited:
cute graphic Kelly

raebates said:
I'm glad you did this, Kelly. I assumed you would address this with both Merrill and PC. (My comment about the HO snoopers was a joke that obviously fell very flat. :eek: )

Sorry Rae, but we were just talking a bit on another thread about the fact that HO does read what is on here so I thought you were serious!

I'll try not to do THAT ever again! :p ;)

Janet, you should know by now to never take anything I say seriously. ;)

raebates said:
Janet, you should know by now to never take anything I say seriously. ;)

Yup, hence why I'll NEVER do that again! ;)

It's just been a long day yesterday and today and I'm too serious. :cool:

See, for me, the longer the day, the less serious I get. I guest that means that together, we're perfect. Right?

raebates said:
See, for me, the longer the day, the less serious I get. I guest that means that together, we're perfect. Right?

In our little delusionary world, sure! ;)
I normally get giddy too but I'm tired from traveling and still mellow about a friend dying...I'll be much better after sleep.

While we're talking about Merrill...did anyone buy one of the Ribbon purses at conference? I bought one and am on my second bag. Because of the shoddy construction the lining is ripping from the bag. I don't overstuff it they just didn't manufacture them well. My girlfriend took the lining off and re-enforced it then sewed it back together for me. I like the purse, but my goodness! It is ridiculous how much it cost for the quality of product. Anyone else have any issues with this bag?

Chef Kearns said:
While we're talking about Merrill...did anyone buy one of the Ribbon purses at conference? I bought one and am on my second bag. Because of the shoddy construction the lining is ripping from the bag. I don't overstuff it they just didn't manufacture them well. My girlfriend took the lining off and re-enforced it then sewed it back together for me. I like the purse, but my goodness! It is ridiculous how much it cost for the quality of product. Anyone else have any issues with this bag?

There was another thread where a lot of people were complaining about it and stated that it was unavailable due to mfg. problems right now...

I got my letter today too.

OMG, what are we all going to do about this???

I got a letter, too. Here's what I wrote to Jean and Merrill. Not as eloquent as Kelly, but you get the idea:

To Whom It May Concern,

I am writing to express my frustration with Merrill Corporation. Back at national conference, I purchased some items and paid with my Conference Cash earned through The Pampered Chef. Earlier this week I received a letter stating my credit card was declined and to resubmit payment. WHAT? You’re finally charging my card almost 4 months later? While I admit that I should have kept better track of what I spent during conference, at the end of September, I checked my balance and saw that I still had some money left and figured since I hadn’t used the card since conference, I was safe to use the remaining balance.

While of course I should pay for the products I received and have sent a check, I would think a company such as Merrill would process their charges a little more efficiently. There is a sour taste in my mouth, and I doubt if I’ll order from Merrill again. On Merrill’s home page, it reads: “Impression: an effect, feeling or image retained as consequence of experience”. True; so true.

Sincerely,
Diane Villanueva

Diane - not the same as Kelly, but I liked your quote of Impression. :)

Diane~

You worded yours very well! Perhaps had I taken a bit more time to calm down, mine wouldn't have been so rude. That really is not me...I am just upset and frustrated.

I would be too! We definately need more choices....

KellyTheChef said:
Diane~

You worded yours very well! Perhaps had I taken a bit more time to calm down, mine wouldn't have been so rude. That really is not me...I am just upset and frustrated.

I thought yours was perfect. I had a feeling I'd be getting something from Merrill...a phone call, letter, etc. There was a thread a while back that involved the same subject, so I wasn't completely surprised like you were. My charge was only for a small amount, so I thought maybe I was ok and it went through, but apparently not (and you can't see "statements" so I had no clue if the charge went through). I only roughly kept track of expenses, not down to the penny.

I have a friend who's a corporate lawyer and asked her about it, and she said ultimately, I got the goods so I'd have to pay. It's just really poor business practice, and we SHOULD complain. There's absolutely no reason for such a delay....

Thanks for starting this thread. Hopefully other Cheffers that have gotten a phone call/letter will complain as well.

Kelly, your response wasn't rude at all.

It would be really nice too ....
1. If PC told us when handing out the conf cash (or in the paperwork) that you could NOT get a printout of transactions. (too keep track of purchases)

2. Include a register with the gift cards (like for checks) to keep track of our purchases.

3. Merrill NEEDS to be able to process these purchases immediately! There is NO excuse for how purchases were handled at NC!

Has anyone gotten a response back from HO? Has anyone CALLED to complain?

etteluap70PC said:
It would be really nice too ....
1. If PC told us when handing out the conf cash (or in the paperwork) that you could NOT get a printout of transactions. (too keep track of purchases)

Couldn't you just use your sales receipts?

Yes

I was just making a suggestion.

I guess I am just dumb and wanted a little extra help for keeping track of things

etteluap70PC said:
Yes

I was just making a suggestion.

I guess I am just dumb and wanted a little extra help for keeping track of things

I didn't mean to imply (and I don't think I did) that you are dumb at all. I apologize if I offended you. I was just making a suggestion as well.

chefsteph07 said:
Has anyone gotten a response back from HO? Has anyone CALLED to complain?
I got a response back the other day when I emailed...but it said that they were looking into it and would be getting back to me. I have not heard from them again as of today.

I will let you all know when I have a response.

I got an e-mail response from Jane Miller at HO on 11/15. Here is part of the note:

"It is Merrill’s policy to follow up with a letter after several attempts if no response has been received within 90 days. It is Merrill’s policy to hold credit card charges until all items from an order have shipped. Since you had a special order that didn’t ship until August, that was the first time Merrill became aware of the credit card situation."

I responded back that my purse was a cash and carry item, not a special order. She replied saying I was right and that she'd check into it. I haven't heard back.

Funny thing - I sent a check the same day I received the letter, November 5th; it still hasn' been cashed. Wonder if it'll take 3 months????

Merrill is ridiculous. I would call them and tell them if they don't cash it by the end of the week coming up that you are going to stop the payment because you don't want a check just floating out there.
See if they cash it then!!!

I'm all for getting Nancy back. At least for stickers, ribbons, awards, postcards, etc...sorry- Merrill is over priced, slow to ship and their shipping fees are ridiculous. They are located in St. Cloud, MN- just an hour and 15 minutes north of where I live, and no matter where you live, they still charge the same fees.

Yes, I am a princess, and I expect to have a reduction in my shipping since I live so close. :) LOL- I'm teasing...

I do agree with you guys that we need more than one company. Since most of the clothing they have are knits, their prices are a little high- They've eliminated the middle man so to speak because they don't have to pay a retail store to sell the stuff, so why is it so high?

There is so much I'd love to order from there, as I feel it would help get the word out about my business, but I just can't afford them. Nor can I afford to wait for their shipping schedules. I ordered a name badge and it took 3 weeks to get to me!

I suppose I should go back and look through all my credit card statements to see if they charged me at time of purchase... UGH!

1. Why did Pampered Chef charge me twice for my order at conference?

Pampered Chef may have charged you twice for your order at conference if there was a delay in processing the initial payment. This can happen due to technical issues or high volume of orders during the conference.

2. What did you receive in the mail from Pampered Chef today?

I received a letter from Merrill stating that my order from July at conference was not charged to my card until now.

3. Why was my credit card declined for the $300 conference cash card?

Your credit card may have been declined for the $300 conference cash card because there is no remaining balance on it. This means that the initial charge for your order was not processed, and now you owe Pampered Chef for the purchase.

4. Why is Pampered Chef just now informing me about this charge?

Pampered Chef may have just now informed you about this charge because they were unable to process the initial payment at the time of the conference due to technical issues or high volume of orders. They may have also been reviewing and reconciling orders from the conference, which led to the discovery of the missed charge.

5. Can I dispute this charge?

Unfortunately, since this is a valid charge for a purchase you made at the conference, it cannot be disputed. However, you can reach out to Pampered Chef's customer service for further assistance and to discuss payment options.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
RebelChef
  • babywings76
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
ShellBeach
  • Karen
  • General Chat
Replies