• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Will Chef Becky Share Her Favorite Dinner Recipes?

In measuring cup or small bowl, combine lemon juice, wine, pressed garlic, and oil. Let sit for 10 minutes. With ½ of butter, coat bottom of freezer container or baking dish and place whitefish on
Kitchen Diva
Gold Member
Guess what Chef Becky? I got my Ultrametabolism book in the mail yesterday and started reading it when I got home from work.

All this reading has made me a bit curious as to what your dinner menu looks like. I did buy the cookbook, but whenever I read the dinner thread, your meals sound so yummy.

Because of that I was wondering if you'd be willing to post a few of your favorite dinner menus along with recipes. I could use 2 or 3 good fish recipes (for Salmon and Tilapia) if you have them.

I know that I will find some good recipes in the cookbook that Dr. Hyman wrote, however I know you better than I know him and would love it if you could share some of your recipes with me/us. I would have emailed you this request, however I think our fellow Cheffers would like to share in your recipe brilliance as well.

I love you tons and will owe you big time for doing this for me. :) Please??? :blushing::D

Hey There Kacey! I've been thinking about you today...and actually was going to email you to see if you'd gotten your book yet. You will notice that he uses soy products - I just ignore those parts, and substitute the lean protein of my choice where he uses soy.:p (for others - Kacey and I both have thyroid problems, and can't have soy)

Big confession - I HATE Salmon! Cannot stand to even smell it, let alone eat it. I've tried it every way possible, and every kind possible, and still hate it. So - I don't have any great Salmon recipes.:eek:

Tilapia, Cod, Rainbow Trout, Blue Hake, Whitefish - those are all favorites here. My very favorite way of making any of them is this recipe:

Whitefish Baked Scampi – serves 4
1 ½ - 2 lbs Whitefish Fillets
1 Tablespoon butter – softened
3 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 Tablespoons white wine
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1-2 garlic cloves, pressed
1 ounce parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons parsley, minced

Squeeze lemon juice. In measuring cup or small bowl, combine lemon juice, wine, pressed garlic, and oil. Let sit for 10 minutes. With ½ of butter, coat bottom of freezer container or baking dish and place whitefish on top. Pour lemon mixture over top of fish. Dot remaining butter over fish, grate cheese over top, and sprinkle with parsley. If freezing, cover fish and place in freezer. May be baked from frozen. Preheat oven to 350◦, and place fish, uncovered, in oven. Bake for 30 minutes or until fish flakes when pricked with a fork. If baking immediately, bake for 10 – 15 minutes (depending on thickness of filets)

We like our fish simple though. I often just bake it or broil it brushed with olive oil and spices. I love the citrus & basil rub and the Greek rub especially. I also LOVE:love: the Dill mix on fish - but that's not going to be an option for you is it?:p

My biggest problem is that I tend to cook w/o recipes. I'll try to post them as I think of them for you.....

Ooh Kacey - I don't know your restrictions, but let me go find my favorite salmon recipe!

ChefBeckyD said:
(for others - Kacey and I both have thyroid problems, and can't have soy)
QUOTE]

I have never heard this. I am hypothyroid and on medication. Is this something I should be avoiding - not that I am racing out to buy soy or anything.:blushing:

pcsharon1 said:
ChefBeckyD said:
(for others - Kacey and I both have thyroid problems, and can't have soy)
QUOTE]

I have never heard this. I am hypothyroid and on medication. Is this something I should be avoiding - not that I am racing out to buy soy or anything.:blushing:

You're a closet soy lover and you know it!

ChefBeckyD said:
Hey There Kacey! I've been thinking about you today...and actually was going to email you to see if you'd gotten your book yet. You will notice that he uses soy products - I just ignore those parts, and substitute the lean protein of my choice where he uses soy.:p (for others - Kacey and I both have thyroid problems, and can't have soy)

Big confession - I HATE Salmon! Cannot stand to even smell it, let alone eat it. I've tried it every way possible, and every kind possible, and still hate it. So - I don't have any great Salmon recipes.:eek:

Tilapia, Cod, Rainbow Trout, Blue Hake, Whitefish - those are all favorites here. My very favorite way of making any of them is this recipe:

Whitefish Baked Scampi – serves 4
1 ½ - 2 lbs Whitefish Fillets
1 Tablespoon butter – softened
3 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 Tablespoons white wine
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1-2 garlic cloves, pressed
1 ounce parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons parsley, minced

Squeeze lemon juice. In measuring cup or small bowl, combine lemon juice, wine, pressed garlic, and oil. Let sit for 10 minutes. With ½ of butter, coat bottom of freezer container or baking dish and place whitefish on top. Pour lemon mixture over top of fish. Dot remaining butter over fish, grate cheese over top, and sprinkle with parsley. If freezing, cover fish and place in freezer. May be baked from frozen. Preheat oven to 350◦, and place fish, uncovered, in oven. Bake for 30 minutes or until fish flakes when pricked with a fork. If baking immediately, bake for 10 – 15 minutes (depending on thickness of filets)

We like our fish simple though. I often just bake it or broil it brushed with olive oil and spices. I love the citrus & basil rub and the Greek rub especially. I also LOVE:love: the Dill mix on fish - but that's not going to be an option for you is it?:p

My biggest problem is that I tend to cook w/o recipes. I'll try to post them as I think of them for you.....

So do I have to look at labels on everything I buy, and if there is some form of soy in it, I shouldn't buy or eat it? I don't want to have to be radical about not eating anything with a little soy in it- but should I be?

If anyone else has recipes that are made with WHOLE foods, nothing pre-packaged or semi-homemade, I'd love to have them! :)

Thanks for the fish recipe Becky, and thanks, Janet for the Salmon recipe.

Kitchen Diva said:
So do I have to look at labels on everything I buy, and if there is some form of soy in it, I shouldn't buy or eat it? I don't want to have to be radical about not eating anything with a little soy in it- but should I be?

If anyone else has recipes that are made with WHOLE foods, nothing pre-packaged or semi-homemade, I'd love to have them! :)

Nahhhhh, I eat Kashi cereal often, and it's got some soy in it....I just don't use soy as my main protein source...and I use rice protein powder instead of soy protein powder.

I've posted other favorite recipes on here - I'll have to go see if I can find them now....:)

ChefBeckyD said:
Nahhhhh, I eat Kashi cereal often, and it's got some soy in it....I just don't use soy as my main protein source...and I use rice protein powder instead of soy protein powder.

I've posted other favorite recipes on here - I'll have to go see if I can find them now....:)

I take a rice protein meal supplement, too. I am happy to know I don't have to fret over miniscule amounts of soy in certain foods. It's hard enough dealing with the fact that Twinkies are one molecule away from a plastic and I must never enjoy their soft, spongey goodness every again. :cry:

(I don't have spell check when I'm at work, so I'm sorry about any spelling errors)

I guess since I don't have a thyroid I should get a book and see if there are things I should avoid, huh??? LOL My doctor has never mentioned anything, but most don't!

Kitchen Diva said:
I take a rice protein meal supplement, too. I am happy to know I don't have to fret over miniscule amounts of soy in certain foods. It's hard enough dealing with the fact that Twinkies are one molecule away from a plastic and I must never enjoy their soft, spongey goodness every again. :cry:

(I don't have spell check when I'm at work, so I'm sorry about any spelling errors)

Okay - Twinkies make me gag! I used to like them, but then, a while back (after not having one for several years) I had one, and I couldn't even finish it!

I've discovered a new Kashi cereal though - Honey Sunshine cereal...it reminds me of Cap'n Crunch, but not quite as sweet. Micah and I have been snacking on that all week! http://www.kashi.com/products/kashi_honey_sunshine_original

chefshawna said:
I guess since I don't have a thyroid I should get a book and see if there are things I should avoid, huh??? LOL My doctor has never mentioned anything, but most don't!

You don't want to get me started on Doctors that don't tell their patients things... Grrrr:grumpy:

ChefBeckyD said:
Okay - Twinkies make me gag! I used to like them, but then, a while back (after not having one for several years) I had one, and I couldn't even finish it!

I've discovered a new Kashi cereal though - Honey Sunshine cereal...it reminds me of Cap'n Crunch, but not quite as sweet. Micah and I have been snacking on that all week! http://www.kashi.com/products/kashi_honey_sunshine_original

They make this cute little 100 calorie snack pack with three baby Twinkies per package. Ooooo I love them! I'm so sad that I cannot have them, or any of the sugar that I'm addicted to!

Kitchen Diva said:
It's hard enough dealing with the fact that Twinkies are one molecule away from a plastic and I must never enjoy their soft, spongey goodness every again. :cry:

What's that about? I've never heard that.

For those that your Dr did not tell you that you could not have soy, maybe they are not one that believes that. You know a lot of Dr are different. Before I made any big adjustments, I would call and tell them what others have said and get their opinon.

Kitchen Diva said:
They make this cute little 100 calorie snack pack with three baby Twinkies per package. Ooooo I love them! I'm so sad that I cannot have them, or any of the sugar that I'm addicted to!

Last week I picked up the grocery store edition of "Eat This, Not That" and the only good thing they have to say about any of the 100 calorie packs is that they're portion-controlled. They state that so many of the snacks in those packs are a nutritional wasteland of saturated fats and sugars with few redeeming qualities like protein, fiber or vitamins.

Stampaholic1961 said:
What's that about? I've never heard that.

Trans Fats, or Hydrogenated oils are basically one molecule away from a plastic and are very toxic to our systems if eaten frequently. Companies can list a product as free of transfats, but what most consumers don't know is that if a product has hydrogenated oil or hydrogenated anything in it, that is the same thing as trans fats- so basically trans fats are still in there but since it falls under a different name they can put that their product has 0 grams of trans fats...

jrstephens said:
For those that your Dr did not tell you that you could not have soy, maybe they are not one that believes that. You know a lot of Dr are different. Before I made any big adjustments, I would call and tell them what others have said and get their opinon.

Other than the fact that many many Dr's don't even acknowledge that anything can help besides the drugs they are pushing......

If you google Hypothyroid Diet - you will find lots of info about this. (and yes, my Dr., and Kacey's Dr. have both told us to stay away from soy.)

chefann said:
Last week I picked up the grocery store edition of "Eat This, Not That" and the only good thing they have to say about any of the 100 calorie packs is that they're portion-controlled. They state that so many of the snacks in those packs are a nutritional wasteland of saturated fats and sugars with few redeeming qualities like protein, fiber or vitamins.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you. However the mini Twinkies are soo yummy!

jrstephens said:

Jennifer, I think it is more that they don't know. Cutting soy out of your diet is not a bad thing, and it's a medical fact that soy increases estrogen in your system, and for people with thyroid and hormone issues, soy is a no-no.

That's why soy is used in women who are going through menopause because your body doesn't make as much and needs it, so they recommend soy therapy to increase the estrogen levels in your system.

But yes, check with your doctor to be safe- but I checked with 7 doctors and was literally dying because of their beliefs...

Kitchen Diva said:

YW, and I think you can remove the dill in it without too much impact...the soy sauce and lemon make the flavor!

Interesting that this thread should pop up now. I just got the okay from my doctor to test my thyroid including T3 and T4 as well as TSH. I recently came across the symptoms of hypothyroidism. When I read "prominent bags under the eyes, cold hands and feet, fatigue, weight gain (or difficulty losing weight despite healthy habits), brittle nails . . ." I saw myself. Following the advice in the book, I took my temp first thing in the AM for a week. It was never above 96.7. The average was 96.3. Because I rise early and stay active, most people wouldn't label me as fatigued. They'd be mistaken. It took some doing, but I finally convinced my doctor to include the thyroid tests in my next blood workup. I'm anxious to see the results.

Rae,Definitely keep us updated on the results. When do you go for testing?

raebates said:
Interesting that this thread should pop up now. I just got the okay from my doctor to test my thyroid including T3 and T4 as well as TSH.

I recently came across the symptoms of hypothyroidism. When I read "prominent bags under the eyes, cold hands and feet, fatigue, weight gain (or difficulty losing weight despite healthy habits), brittle nails . . ." I saw myself. Following the advice in the book, I took my temp first thing in the AM for a week. It was never above 96.7. The average was 96.3.

Because I rise early and stay active, most people wouldn't label me as fatigued. They'd be mistaken.

It took some doing, but I finally convinced my doctor to include the thyroid tests in my next blood workup. I'm anxious to see the results.

Good for you Rae! Make sure you've done some research about "normal range" because many Dr's will give an extemely wide normal range - to the point that as long as your thyroid is functioning, it's considered normal.:grumpy:
It is world of difference how I feel now that my thyroid is being regulated!

And - even with meds, my temp still rarely goes above 97.5. If my temp is 98.6, I have a fever!:eek:

I go to the lab next week. My appointment is Feb 4. Every one of my doctors has teased me at one point or another because I come equipped with a list of questions, paper on which to take notes, and my notes from previous appointments. This way I can remember what I was going to ask, keep track of what I'm told, and am instantly aware if a test result has changed. It's my understanding that the the higher the TSH, the lower the thyroid function. I haven't checked into the T3 or T4 levels that are considered normal. I will do that before my appointment. I know from my readings that even being in the low end of normal can be an issue for many people. If my results are low normal, I'll talk to him about ways to raise my levels. I'll also talk to my alternative health person about my test results.

Last edited:
raebates said:
I go to the lab next week. My appointment is Feb 4.

Every one of my doctors has teased me at one point or another because I come equipped with a list of questions, paper on which to take notes, and my notes from previous appointments. This way I can remember what I was going to ask, keep track of what I'm told, and am instantly aware if a test result has changed.

It's my understanding that the the higher the TSH, the lower the thyroid function. I haven't checked into the T3 or T4 levels that are considered normal. I will do that before my appointment. I know from my readings that even being in the low end of normal can be an issue for many people. If my results are low normal, I'll talk to him about ways to raise my levels. I'll also talk to my alternative health person about my test results.

Rae, I actually have really good test results when they test my T3 and T4 and TSH... it took more extensive blood test to learn that my body had stopped producing every hormone except estrogen, and it had WAY too much of that. Weird, huh? My hormone doctor said that most doctors live and die by ranges- and if you fall within what they've decided is a normal range based on averages of normal people then you are fine. The problem is that I wasn't a normal person, and just because my ranges fell in the "normal" range didn't mean that there wasn't something wrong... I just needed to find a doctor that was willing to dig deeper.

Thankfully I found one- he was doctor number EIGHT!!! :)

janetupnorth said:
YW, and I think you can remove the dill in it without too much impact...the soy sauce and lemon make the flavor!

Oh, good- you know how I feel about dill. LOL!

raebates said:
Interesting that this thread should pop up now. I just got the okay from my doctor to test my thyroid including T3 and T4 as well as TSH.

I recently came across the symptoms of hypothyroidism. When I read "prominent bags under the eyes, cold hands and feet, fatigue, weight gain (or difficulty losing weight despite healthy habits), brittle nails . . ." I saw myself. Following the advice in the book, I took my temp first thing in the AM for a week. It was never above 96.7. The average was 96.3.

Because I rise early and stay active, most people wouldn't label me as fatigued. They'd be mistaken.

It took some doing, but I finally convinced my doctor to include the thyroid tests in my next blood workup. I'm anxious to see the results.

Rae, I'm sorry that you felt lousy for so long! I can relate to a lot of what you wrote. I hope that your doctors will figure out what is wrong and fix you up good as new! Tell them that you're my cyber mom and I need you to be healthy! :)

Kitchen Diva said:
Trans Fats, or Hydrogenated oils are basically one molecule away from a plastic and are very toxic to our systems if eaten frequently. Companies can list a product as free of transfats, but what most consumers don't know is that if a product has hydrogenated oil or hydrogenated anything in it, that is the same thing as trans fats- so basically trans fats are still in there but since it falls under a different name they can put that their product has 0 grams of trans fats...
I know about trans fats etc. & that they aren't good for us but saying something is one molecule away from something else doesn't mean anything. :) Water is only an atom away from being hydrogen peroxide. Oxygen (02) is one atom away from 03 which makes ozone, which is a poisonous gas! I've heard that margarine is only one molecule away from being plastic.... - Blurtit

Stampaholic1961 said:
I know about trans fats etc. & that they aren't good for us but saying something is one molecule away from something else doesn't mean anything. :) Water is only an atom away from being hydrogen peroxide. Oxygen (02) is one atom away from 03 which makes ozone, which is a poisonous gas! I've heard that margarine is only one molecule away from being plastic.... - Blurtit
Um, yeah it does- it means it isn't good for us, it's toxic. Stick a Twinkie in your cupboard and come back for it 19 years later and it'll still be in perfect condition...how can that NOT mean it's clearly not meant for human digestion.

It might not mean anything to you, but it does to me. When sugar and fats are chemically altered to something beyond what nature intended, then we need to ask ourselves why we'd want to eat things that are so severely altered from their natural state.

And all this is just my humble opinion...your mileage may vary.

raebates said:

That is so odd, I have all those things, and last year this time the fatigue was horrible. I didn't gain weight, but no matter what can't lose any.

I've never been tested though...and I stay active so people wouldn't label me as fatigued either...

Interesting to hear how your results come out...

I'll have to read more about it sometime.

Kitchen Diva said:

You can find them though, on the label. If you look at total fat and say it says 2.5 grams, but you look at the "itemized" fat content, and those numbers, pretend, only add up to 1 gram. You have a difference of 1.5 grams, so this difference is "mystery fat" but it's actually the amount of hydrogenated fat. They don't put it on the label, so it's sneaky... and bad for you, but you can find out if your food has it.

Kacey, I'll let him know that he has to keep me healthy for you. ;) Though we don't always agree, I have to say that I like my GP. He actually listens, and he's not opposed to alternative health practices.Generally speaking I feel pretty good. I exercise, eat right, and periodically tweak the supplements I take. Still, there have been gradual changes. I have noticed that I've really struggled to lose weight for the last couple of years.. (I've lost an inch around my waist since the beginning of the year, but I think most of that was getting rid of some bloating by adding probiotics to my diet.) I've been struggling for the last nine months or so with feeling really sluggish in the morning and my hands and feel just keep getting colder and colder.As I was reading about hypothyroidism I thought, "Wow, those are the things that are happening to me." Basically the only symptoms that don't apply have to do with menstrual irregularities. Since I had a hysterectomy in 2006, that hasn't been an issue. I have a note on my list of questions to talk with my doctor about hormones in general.

1. What does your dinner menu look like?

As a Pampered Chef consultant, my dinner menu is always filled with delicious and healthy options. I love to incorporate fresh vegetables, lean proteins, and whole grains into my meals. Some of my go-to dishes include grilled chicken with roasted vegetables, quinoa stir-fry, and homemade black bean burgers.

2. Can you share some of your favorite dinner menus and recipes?

Absolutely! I am happy to share some of my favorite dinner menus and recipes with you. Here are a few of my go-to options:

- Grilled salmon with lemon, garlic, and herbs, served with roasted asparagus and quinoa

- Baked tilapia with a honey mustard glaze, served with roasted sweet potatoes and green beans

- Black bean and vegetable stir-fry with brown rice

3. Do you have any good fish recipes for salmon and tilapia?

Yes, I have several delicious fish recipes that I love to make. Here are two of my favorites:

- Grilled salmon with lemon, garlic, and herbs: Season salmon fillets with salt, pepper, and your choice of herbs (I like dill and parsley), then grill for 10-12 minutes until cooked through. Squeeze fresh lemon juice over the top before serving.

- Baked tilapia with honey mustard glaze: Mix equal parts honey and Dijon mustard, then spread over tilapia fillets. Bake at 375 degrees for 15-20 minutes, until fish flakes easily with a fork.

4. Can you share some recipes from the Ultrametabolism cookbook?

I am not familiar with the specific recipes in the Ultrametabolism cookbook, but I am happy to share some healthy and delicious recipes with you. Please let me know if there is a specific type of dish or ingredient you are looking for.

5. Can I email you for recipe recommendations?

While I appreciate your interest in my recipes, I am unable to provide individual recipe recommendations via email. However, please feel free to reach out to me through my Pampered Chef page for general cooking advice and tips. Thank you for understanding!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Malinda Klein
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • babywings76
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
kcjodih
  • Kitchen Diva