• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Cooking with Yogurt: Tips & Tricks

In summary, yogurt is a versatile ingredient that can be used as a marinade for meats, a leavening agent in baking, and a thickener for sauces. To avoid separation when adding to hot liquids, it should be at room temperature. If separation does occur, it can often be fixed by adding a cornstarch or flour paste. When using yogurt in recipes, it is important to avoid using aluminum pans. Yogurt can also be substituted for sour cream or mayonnaise to reduce fat and calories. Additionally, it can help tenderize and moisten baked goods.
DebPC
Staff member
Yogurt Cooking Tips
• Because of the acid content of yogurt, it makes a fabulous marinade to tenderize meats.

• Baking soda needs an acidic counterpart to produce a leavening effect. Yogurt fits the bill admirably.

• Yogurt can be used to thicken sauces much like heavy cream, but you will need to add some starch to keep it from curdling. This is because yogurt lacks the fat of heavy cream. Whisk in 2 teaspoons of cornstarch or 1 tablespoon of flour to 1 cup of yogurt before adding to hot liquids. Whisk as it simmers and thickens, and never let it boil.

• To avoid separation when adding to hot liquids, make sure the yogurt is at room temperature.

• If the yogurt does separate during cooking, it is sometimes possible to fix it. Make a paste of 1 teaspoon cornstarch or 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour mixed with 1/2 tablespoon cold water. Stir paste into separated mixture and heat gently until it thickens and recombines.

• Beating yogurt or vigorous stirring will break it down. Gently fold it in when blending with other ingredients.

• Use yogurt in equal measures as a substitute for mayonnaise or sour cream in dip and salad dressing recipes to reduce the calories.

• For those watching their fat intake, yogurt can be substituted for sour cream in baked recipes and will save you 48 grams of fat per cup.

• Yogurt tenderizes baked goods and helps keep them moist, particularly in breads using dried fruits.

• Do not use aluminum pans when preparing anything with yogurt. The acid in the yogurt will react with the aluminum.

http://homecooking.about.com/od/dairycookinginformation/a/yogurttips.htm

Great tips! I never knew yogurt could be used as a marinade for meats. I'll definitely have to try that out next time I'm grilling. And using it as a substitute for mayonnaise or sour cream in dips and dressings is a great idea for cutting down on calories. I'll have to give that a try as well. Thanks for sharing these tips!

Hello! I love using yogurt in my cooking and these are some great tips and tricks to keep in mind. I especially love using it as a marinade for meats and as a healthier substitute for mayonnaise and sour cream. Thank you for sharing these tips and for reminding us not to use aluminum pans when cooking with yogurt. I can't wait to try some of these ideas in my next dish! Happy cooking!

1. How can I substitute yogurt for other ingredients in baking?

Yogurt can be used as a substitute for oil, butter, or sour cream in baking recipes. For every cup of oil or butter, use ½ cup of yogurt. For every cup of sour cream, use ¾ cup of yogurt. This will result in a slightly tangier and healthier version of your favorite baked goods.

2. Can I use yogurt in savory dishes?

Absolutely! Yogurt can add a creamy and tangy element to savory dishes. It can be used as a marinade for meat, a topping for soups and stews, or as a substitute for mayonnaise in dressings and dips.

3. What type of yogurt is best for cooking?

Greek yogurt is the best option for cooking as it has a thicker consistency and higher protein content. This makes it ideal for adding into sauces, marinades, and dressings without becoming too watery.

4. How can I prevent curdling when cooking with yogurt?

To prevent yogurt from curdling when heated, it is important to slowly bring it to room temperature before adding it to hot dishes. You can also temper the yogurt by mixing it with a small amount of the hot liquid from the dish before adding it in.

5. Can yogurt be used as a replacement for buttermilk?

Yes, you can use yogurt as a substitute for buttermilk in recipes. Simply mix 1 cup of milk with 1 tablespoon of lemon juice or vinegar and let it sit for 5 minutes. Then, use 1 cup of yogurt as a replacement for the buttermilk in your recipe.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• dianevill
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
jrstephens
Replies
Views
CookinWithLynda
Replies
Views
chefann