• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

yetAnother Questionable Way to Advertise

In summary, Jane found a local business that was advertising with a coupon for a local consultant. She called the business and they said they wanted a copy of the email because of the combining of bulk email/solicitation. The email ad clearly associated this person with PC, but did not give a link directly from the email or the website from advertising company. The ad is up on the advertisement company's website, along with the PC logo.
SpiritdancerIA
Gold Member
So, I've found yet another questionable way to advertise.

Locally, there is a company that sends out a weekly email advertising local businesses (gas stations, restaurants, etc) along with coupons for the businesses.

Today's issue? Has a "coupon" for a local consultant. :yuck:

I called Career Solutions, and they asked me to forward a copy of the email to them. We'll see what their opinion is.

A quick web search on the name and location of the person in question, and I found a clear violation, and several more questionable ones. Great. Now to decide whether or not to forward those, as well. :(

Forward the violation, include links to the questionable ones, and let HO deal with it.

The flyer as a paid advertisement is not against policy at all. The online stuff may be. Send it to HO and let them decide on that.No sense wasting business time on it.

Except that it wasn't a flyer, it was an email. I'm guessing that it included a link to PWS. And that's a grey area, since linking in an email is allowed, and so is purchased advertising, but somehow the combination of the 2 feels like an unfair advantage.

chefann said:
Except that it wasn't a flyer, it was an email. I'm guessing that it included a link to PWS. And that's a grey area, since linking in an email is allowed, and so is purchased advertising, but somehow the combination of the 2 feels like an unfair advantage.

Oops, missed that - good point. Then I agree. :)

SpiritdancerIA said:
So, I've found yet another questionable way to advertise.

Locally, there is a company that sends out a weekly email advertising local businesses (gas stations, restaurants, etc) along with coupons for the businesses.

Today's issue? Has a "coupon" for a local consultant. :yuck:

I called Career Solutions, and they asked me to forward a copy of the email to them. We'll see what their opinion is.

A quick web search on the name and location of the person in question, and I found a clear violation, and several more questionable ones. Great. Now to decide whether or not to forward those, as well. :(

Does this company post the email on their site?

I'm interested to hear what HO has to say about this.

I can tell you from personal experience some of this. I was advertising on a local newsletter called "FunandFrugal.com". She sends out a daily email of couponing, discounts, activities, etc. Since it was email, I advertised my KITK events in it with my email address. I also advertised as part of her "online Christmas Shop". This is when HO "caught" me. It is an internet violation because her newsletters are posted to her webpage with my website listed. She removed all references to PC from the ad for the KITK and it is still in her archives. HO has monitored this and the violations are no longer present since only my name, phone number, and email are listed with no references to the fact I am PC. The last couple of months since her subscribers have increased to 1,000 people, I have had 4 calls from the ad for the KITKs from last Fall!

pcchefjane said:
I can tell you from personal experience some of this. I was advertising on a local newsletter called "FunandFrugal.com". She sends out a daily email of couponing, discounts, activities, etc. Since it was email, I advertised my KITK events in it with my email address. I also advertised as part of her "online Christmas Shop". This is when HO "caught" me. It is an internet violation because her newsletters are posted to her webpage with my website listed. She removed all references to PC from the ad for the KITK and it is still in her archives. HO has monitored this and the violations are no longer present since only my name, phone number, and email are listed with no references to the fact I am PC. The last couple of months since her subscribers have increased to 1,000 people, I have had 4 calls from the ad for the KITKs from last Fall!

Interesting approach, Jane! So, you just have "Kids in the Kitchen", and your name/email/phone? Nothing otherwise that would lead ANYONE to believe it was PC and HO knows/sees it, and that's ok. *hmmmmmm* :cool: Gets one thinking. :D

When I talked to Careen Solutions this morning, they wanted a copy of it because of the combining of bulk email/solicitation (summary "you can't advertise on the web").The email ad clearly associated this person with PC, but did not give a link directly from the email or the website from advertising company. The ad is up on the advertisement company's website, along with the PC logo.In addition, I sent in another email after I found the same person listed on LinkedIn, with live links to the PWS.I've talked to my director about this person - apparently there is a history of not quite playing by the rules/doing things a bit underhandedly with this particular person (also that this person can be a bit vindictive, so I'm being pretty careful on how I word things here!).CS told me I'd hear back from them in a couple of days about the outcome. I'll let y'all know what I hear one way or another.

You can do the very same thing on any website anywhere at all as well. Face book for example. You can advertise that you love cooking and showing people how to make quick easy recipes and let them contact you through any e-mail address that does not look like pamperedchef or even
pampered1224, I am afraid that too is an issue with them as it insinuates the compnay name, and they can e-mail or call you. JUST DO NOT MENTION THE WORDS PAMPERED CHEF any where in any way or your PWS link. There are "vays of doink teese tings" without getting in trouble.

SpiritdancerIA said:
The email ad clearly associated this person with PC, but did not give a link directly from the email or the website from advertising company. The ad is up on the advertisement company's website, along with the PC logo.
The logo might get her in trouble, as there are specific rules about using it.

pampered1224 said:
You can do the very same thing on any website anywhere at all as well. Face book for example. You can advertise that you love cooking and showing people how to make quick easy recipes and let them contact you through any e-mail address that does not look like pamperedchef or even
pampered1224, I am afraid that too is an issue with them as it insinuates the compnay name, and they can e-mail or call you. JUST DO NOT MENTION THE WORDS PAMPERED CHEF any where in any way or your PWS link. There are "vays of doink teese tings" without getting in trouble.

That's why my favorite phrase is "It rhymes with Hampered Jeff and means Spoiled Cook.":p:love:

Hey... that's my phrase!
:D

It was a good one Ann, very creative and remember - you did share it out here quite a while back. So copying is a form af flattery!
I need to ask something here. Any of you who do the Facebook thing, do you get many bookings or sales or recruits from this? I know I was telling Ann in an e-mail that I just do not have the time to monitor or take care of something like that. But if it makes a big difference in your business, well maybe I should try to find time.

Last edited:
pampered1224 said:
Any of you who do the Facebook thing, do you get many bookings or sales or recruits from this? ..... if it makes a big difference in your business, well maybe I should try to find time.

in a word.... No

Ok I am confused. Are you all saying consultants cannot even post on their own facebook page that they are Pampered Chef Consultants or that we are having a show or anything like that?

patty42240 said:
Ok I am confused. Are you all saying consultants cannot even post on their own facebook page that they are Pampered Chef Consultants or that we are having a show or anything like that?

Yes and no...

You cannot post in your info that you are a PC cons. or post your website.

You should do you best not to post the words "Pampered Chef" anywhere on your page, or in your status. It makes you searchable. I would not attempt it unless you have all your settings to friends only and everyone on your friends list knows what you do.

Basically PC HO does not want you to be "searchable" We have a leads system for a reason. It is a benefit of working our business and promoting to a higher level.

there are lots of ways to talk about your biz without saying "Pampered Chef" especially if you make sure everyone you know knows what you do and you have specifically talked to them about it.

It is all spelled out in the policy manual.

Last edited:
Thanks Paulette! I do have my setting set to friends only and the only time I have posted anything about PC is when I make comments to my friends but I guess I will not do that anymore other than in IM or e-mail.

1. What is "yetAnother Questionable Way to Advertise"?

"yetAnother Questionable Way to Advertise" is a marketing technique that involves using questionable or controversial methods to promote a product or service.

2. Is "yetAnother Questionable Way to Advertise" ethical?

As a company, Pampered Chef values ethical and responsible marketing practices. We do not condone the use of questionable or controversial methods to advertise our products.

3. How does Pampered Chef ensure ethical advertising?

Pampered Chef has strict guidelines and policies in place to ensure all of our marketing and advertising efforts align with our values and are in compliance with industry regulations. We also regularly review and monitor our advertising to ensure it meets our standards.

4. Can "yetAnother Questionable Way to Advertise" be effective?

While some may argue that "yetAnother Questionable Way to Advertise" can generate attention and buzz, it may also have a negative impact on a company's reputation and credibility. At Pampered Chef, we prioritize building strong and trustworthy relationships with our customers through ethical advertising practices.

5. Are there any alternative methods to "yetAnother Questionable Way to Advertise"?

Yes, there are many effective and ethical ways to advertise a product or service. At Pampered Chef, we believe in using authentic and genuine marketing techniques such as word-of-mouth, social media, and building strong customer relationships through exceptional products and customer service.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
mommyhugz1978
  • SusanBP0129
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
pamperedtara
  • ChefBeckyD
  • General Chat
Replies