• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Yesterday While I Was Cutting Cukes to Make Pickles, My Santoku

In summary, the conversation revolves around Crystal's injury to her finger while cutting cucumbers with a santoku knife. There is concern for her well-being and suggestions for seeking medical attention if the injury doesn't improve. Some individuals share their own experiences with injuries and tetanus shots.
crystalscookingnow
Gold Member
Yesterday while I was cutting cukes to make pickles, my santoku slipped & got the end of my middle finger! It cut pretty deep & most of the cut is under my fingernail. It still hurts just like it did yesterday!

My hand & pointer finger got really swollen & I still feel like I'm going to pass out. :yuck: My pharmacist said that I most likely hit a nerve or something. Yeouch!

Re: Ouch!Do you need to see a doctor about it? My mom cuts herself all the time. It always scares me. Hope you're okay! :)

Re: Ouch!Oh gosh...that makes my stomach turn just thinking about it!

I hope it heals quickly!

Re: Ouch!Ow ow ow ow owwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!

Re: Ouch!I'm not sure a doc can do anything since it's been a while since I did it. They might glue it, but I can do that at home!

My oldest dd was home with me. I almost passed out when I did it & she was so worried about me. She knew what to do though! She was on the phone to DH right away.

Re: Ouch!Hurts me just to think about it. Hope you're all healed and un-swollen soon.

Re: Ouch!Crystal, I'm sorry to hear of your "accident". Do you mind if I ask why you were using the santoku instead of the mandoline? I had to ask. Sorry!

hope your finger gets better soon! ((hugs))

Re: Ouch!Crystal my finger chopping diva... What's up girl? You're supposed to cut the food not your phalanges!

I hope you heal quickly and the swelling goes down- put your hand in a latex glove and stick it in ice water- to reduce the swelling. I will say a prayer for you, too.

Re: Ouch!Oh my - I would still see a doc if its not a bit better tommorrow - there could be more damage then you think! I hope you heal soon!!

AND I always use the knives - (PLEASE DON'T SHOOT ME BUT....) I do not like the madoline - I liked the USG better - BUT I adore and love my knives!

Re: Ouch!Crystal, I am so sorry you are hurt! Better keep an eye on that...it sounds nasty!

Re: Ouch!Oh ouch!! That has to hurt like he**!! My finger hurts just thinking about it! I think maybe you should see the dr. Reason being you don't need an infection! My Dad cut is knuckle years ago and ended up in the hospital for two weeks on antibiotics. He almost died! They had to take his blood count every day. When they saw the bug growing again, they would change his antibiotic. It was really scary. Where you cut yourself it's very hard for your body to bleed out all the germs.

If it starts to swell at all - call your Dr. right away!

I will be praying for you!

Re: Ouch!OOO....how awful!! Hope you have had a tetanus shot within the last 10 years! If you are not sure, get one.

Re: Ouch!
byrd1956 said:
OOO....how awful!! Hope you have had a tetanus shot within the last 10 years! If you are not sure, get one.

You don't wanna know the trouble I had because of one little tetanus shot- LOCK JAW would have been more fun and less painful! no more shots for me!

Kitchen Diva said:
You don't wanna know the trouble I had because of one little tetanus shot- LOCK JAW would have been more fun and less painful! no more shots for me!

You say that NOW - lets hope!!

I think she should see a DR tomorrow if it is still swollen - nerve damage, infection, etc - never be too careful!

Re: Ouch!OWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOW...I am cringing thinking about this. I have cut myself at least once with everything PC sharp. I dropped the 7" Santoku knife during a show one time, moved my foot out of the way, but it sliced through my dress pants and left a 2" long cut down my leg. The hostess was like, wow that almost hit your foot and I was asking for a bandaid!! OWOWOWOWOWOWOW!!
If you are still feeling like you are going to pass out and are not usually so "weak" stomached, please get to a doctor or call the Emergency doctor on call. Best of luck!!!

PamperedDor said:
Oh my - I would still see a doc if its not a bit better tommorrow - there could be more damage then you think! I hope you heal soon!!

AND I always use the knives - (PLEASE DON'T SHOOT ME BUT....) I do not like the madoline - I liked the USG better - BUT I adore and love my knives!

I won't shoot you Dor - I like the USG better too!! LOL!

Re: Ouch!Thanks everyone. It's feeling a bit better today. Stil swollen down my middle finger (cut) and up into my index finger. It doesn't hurt as bad as it did Thursday though. As for the santoku vs. mandoline... I was making spears, so the mandoline would have done nothing to help. :)

I'm just an accident magnet though. Last night I stepped in a hole at the fair & twisted my ankle. Oh well, I got a great picture with Luke Bryan & his band!! :D

Re: Ouch!Oh gosh, troubles come in three - be careful! No more knives for a while:)!

Re: Ouch!Oh, don't say that! I'm for sure to do something to myself!! Yikes... Maybe I should just live in a bubble. :D

Re: Ouch!A bubble would be a great idea! I'd like to have one some days!

1. What is "Yesterday While I Was Cutting Cukes to Make Pickles, My Santoku"?

"Yesterday While I Was Cutting Cukes to Make Pickles, My Santoku" is a popular cookbook by Pampered Chef that features delicious recipes for pickles using the Santoku knife.

2. What is a Santoku knife?

A Santoku knife is a type of Japanese knife with a straight edge and a round tip. It is commonly used for slicing, dicing, and mincing vegetables and meats.

3. Can I use any knife to make pickles?

While you can use any knife to make pickles, using a Santoku knife is recommended for its sharpness and precision in cutting cucumbers and other ingredients.

4. Are there any other recipes in the cookbook besides pickles?

Yes, "Yesterday While I Was Cutting Cukes to Make Pickles, My Santoku" features a variety of recipes using the Santoku knife, including salads, soups, and main dishes.

5. Where can I purchase "Yesterday While I Was Cutting Cukes to Make Pickles, My Santoku"?

You can purchase "Yesterday While I Was Cutting Cukes to Make Pickles, My Santoku" through a Pampered Chef consultant or online on the Pampered Chef website. It is also available at select retailers.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• lacychef
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
wadesgirl
Replies
Views
kkimpinski
  • kcjodih
  • General Chat
Replies