• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Xm/Sirius Vs. Hd Radios- Need Your Input Please

XM and Sirius both offer a variety of channels, both of which have their pros and cons. I personally believe that if you're a music lover, you should go with XM - their selection is much deeper. If you're looking for more popular stations, Sirius may be a better fit.
Kitchen Diva
Gold Member
Hi Cheffers!

I have a new car with XM satalite radio. My 3 month trial is over and before I commit to paying for my tunes (I love the 80's station, and a few others that XM offers) I was wondering if any of you out in CS Land own a HD radio and if you like it.

Also, when it was installed, did it ruin the dash where your factory installed car radio was placed?

I really hate to pay for radio, but sadly I do utilize about 21 of the XM channels, and I did have it on my last car. I thought I'd start here with this little homework assignment and see what you guys have, like and know about HD vs. XM.

TIA for the help!!!!

Well, I borrowed my dad's van and he has Sirius radio. I like it but can't compare it to anything else. I also have no idea if it ruins the dash. I doubt it because my dad's picky about those kinds of things.

I really like that I can listen to my cd's and watch what song is playing on Sirius. Then if I like the song I can switch it on and go back to my CD when the radio song is over.

Is Sirius HD Radio? I thought it was the same as XM satelite radio... (sorry, I'm cleaning out my home office so my DH can empty his home office to make room for my niece. My sister and her cannot share a room forever...anyway I misplaced my dictionary in this mess and I'm sure I'm not spelling satelite correctly.)

I really have no clue. Sorry.

JAE said:
I really have no clue. Sorry.

That's okay- thanks for your help anyhow! :)

bumping, because I need some help with this. :)

I have had Sirius satellite radio for the past 2 years and I LOVE IT!! I commute 45 minutes to and from work each day, so I need something to listen to that isn't mind-numbing like the drivel they play on terrestrial radio these days. I love the different channels I can surf, and I love that I can travel across several states with the same channel on the whole time. They also have the traffic and weather channels that you can "flip" to, and they have more accurate reports than the local stations around here. I'm hoping that XM and Sirius merge soon (that whole thing with the merger is ridiculous if you ask me!) so that everyone can take advantage of the fantastic channels they both have. I wouldn't give up my Sirius for anything. If it means doing 1-2 more shows per month to keep it, so be it!!

I have XM (have had it for atleast 5 yrs (maybe more) now). Couldn't imagine NOT having it. The only time I listen to regular radio is if I need a traffic report (my area is not on the XM traffic report list - which is a neat service if you live in a major city).

My parents had Sirius for a little while. I did not care for the selections as much as XM - but I am biased toward XM since that is what I am used to.

I have seen the differences between XM & Sirius explained by others as:
XM has a "deeper" catalog. You will hear less known songs (or ones you forgot you knew) and you will not hear a song repeated as often.
Sirius will play more well known songs...

I am not sure if either of these is considered HD radio (I am thinking not) but I have not researched HD radio at all.

Good luck making your decision!

we have XM & I forget to use it

I have Sirius and it's fun to have but a total waste of money!
I'm not in my car enough to enjoy it, but when I am, I love being able to listen to E! shows on the radio. And the kids love KidStuff. But I won't renew when the time comes. Hope that helps!

XM and sirius are going to merge--Sirius bought out XM. That said, I've had XM for 3 years and absolutely love it. Especially the comedy channel--it always gives me a laugh.

What is the difference between XM/Sirius and HD radios?

XM/Sirius and HD radios are two different types of satellite radio services. XM and Sirius merged in 2008, creating one company, but they still offer separate programming. HD radios, on the other hand, use a digital signal to broadcast over traditional AM/FM frequencies. This means that HD radios can be picked up by any radio capable of receiving AM/FM signals, while XM/Sirius radios require a specific subscription and equipment.

Do I need a subscription for both XM and Sirius if I want to listen to all of their programming?

After the merger, XM and Sirius still offer separate programming and subscriptions. However, they do offer a combined subscription option for those who want access to all of their channels. If you only want access to specific channels, you can choose a subscription for just one of the services.

Can I use my XM/Sirius radio in a different country?

XM/Sirius radios operate using satellites, so they can only be used within the service's coverage area, which is primarily the United States and Canada. Some models may have limited coverage in Mexico and the Caribbean. If you plan on traveling outside of these areas, check with the service provider to see if they offer international coverage.

Are HD radios more expensive than XM/Sirius radios?

The cost of an HD radio varies depending on the brand and features, but they are generally less expensive than XM/Sirius radios. However, keep in mind that HD radios do not require a subscription, while XM/Sirius radios do. So, in the long run, the cost of the subscription for XM/Sirius may outweigh the initial cost of an HD radio.

Can I listen to regular AM/FM stations on an XM/Sirius radio?

Some XM/Sirius radios may have the capability to receive AM/FM signals, but they primarily function as satellite radios. If you want access to traditional radio stations, an HD radio may be a better option for you. However, XM/Sirius radios offer a wide variety of channels and exclusive programming that you cannot find on traditional radio stations.

Back