• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Customer Service Mistake: How to Handle Unhappy Customers and Fix the Issue

In summary, the customer decided not to order from the consultant after they discussed a catalog show.
dwyerkim
Hi--wondered what any of you would do with this. Ultimately i don't think I'm going to do anything, but just curious. I had a catalog show customer who I followed up with before I transmitted the show, had a friendly and lengthy discussion and she decided based on having asked my opinion, to change her order slightly. She was also semi-interested in having a catalog show. Needless to say, it was a very positive phone conversation. Well, I'm not sure where I made a mistake but I ordered her the original item--not sure if I just forgot to change the order or if my software didn't change it or what. Regardless, I immediately apologized, owned my mistake and told her I would see htat it was corrected. PC arranged for fed ex to pick up the return item and then to send the new item. She just needed to write her ref. number on the receipt and enclose a check for the cost difference. Apparently there were issues with the receipt (didn't have it)--I told the host to just have her write her name, address, etc, ref number, my name and consultant number on a slip of paper and enclose it. So later this morning I got an email from the woman saying that basically this is too much hassle, she's just going to keep what she has and be done with it. She just now sent me an unsubscribe message to my newsletter. Clearly that is sending a certain message that she is peeved and wants nothing more to do with me.

I certainly know that I messed up, and I did acknowledge this immediately (I personally hate when customer service people just give you the run around and no one actually apologizes). Part of me is tempted to order her the item and pay for it myself but the other part of me thinks that is crazy, everyone knows mistakes do happen and I made every effort already to help her resolve it--all she was being asked to do is write some info on paper and put it in an envelope.

Thoughts?

I would send her a brief email responding to her wanting to unsubscribe. Just say something like "I received your message saying you wanted to unsubscribe and wanted to let you know I have received it. I am sorry if my mistake has cause you any problems - I will be glad to handle the return for you if you would like. Please, let me know what you decide and I hope we can still do business in the future if you need any additional PC products."

After that I would let it die if she did not respond. I think it is being way overbored to do this to you when you owned up to the mistake. And I know from doing returns that it is not that big of hassle - PC takes care of it all. If you wanted to you could offer to pay the difference. I would not just purchase the item and give it to her b/c she could just let you handle the return.

Hope I have been a help. If it gets to be too much hassle for you, I say "bless and release" in the end.

I second what Jennifer stated. I wouldn't take this personally, but I know how you feel. You are doing everything correctly and professionally. Just send her that last email, and bless & release!

Have a Beautiful Day!!!

I'm with Jennifer. Don't just assume her "unsubscribe" is a "leave me alone" message. Drop her a note reiterating your apology. If you get no response, consider it blessing that you won't have to deal with this person again.

Good thinking on the email, I will think on that this afternoon and may respond to her this evening. She is in another state so I can't handle the return for her. You're right, there is no reason for me to purchase the item for her, especially when fed ex was picking the return up at her door for no cost. I'm kind of wondering if I should call the host and find out what is going on but my wiser-side says to let it go.

I personally would not involve the host. She may think you were trying to go "around" her or something. I think this is an issue with her. I have never had anyone say our returns were a hassle epecially within the first 30 days when PC pays for everything.

Personally I would'nt even send the email nor would I call the hostess.
Just bless and release...
When I unsubscribe to newsletters I feel no need to explain why and it may even peeve her off more. Just my two cents.

raebates said:
I'm with Jennifer. Don't just assume her "unsubscribe" is a "leave me alone" message. Drop her a note reiterating your apology. If you get no response, consider it blessing that you won't have to deal with this person again.

Someone once won a cookbook from me at a fair. I called her, told her it was on the way and mailed it. With her permission I put her on my email list. That was 6 months ago. Last week I got an "Unsubscribe me from your newsletter becuase you never sent me the cookbook." I had no idea it never made it to her! I apologized, said that's snail mail for you and offered to resend (SB) she said okay -- you can put me back on your email list once I get it. Some people just don't have good email etiquette. I agree with the others -- apologize, bless and release.

I'm still mulling over deleting that woman's email from my list -- I'm having a hard time "blessing" and may just "release." :p

Delivery confirmation
MandyK said:
Someone once won a cookbook from me at a fair. I called her, told her it was on the way and mailed it. With her permission I put her on my email list. That was 6 months ago. Last week I got an "Unsubscribe me from your newsletter becuase you never sent me the cookbook." I had no idea it never made it to her! I apologized, said that's snail mail for you and offered to resend (SB) she said okay -- you can put me back on your email list once I get it. Some people just don't have good email etiquette. I agree with the others -- apologize, bless and release.

I'm still mulling over deleting that woman's email from my list -- I'm having a hard time "blessing" and may just "release." :p

Thank God for delivery confirmation. I never mail anything out that is really important without paying the extra 0.50 or 0.60 cents to get a delivery confirmation. I once had someone tell me that they didn't receive an item and when I told them they got it on such and such date because I have confirmation, they never emailed again. I usually don't have that problem anymore. I understand addresses can get confused but with that delivery confirmation you can find out where it happened to be delivered.

I also agree, people make mistakes and sometimes people can be inconsiderate and unforgiving. She obviously thought writing down a confirmation number was too difficult, so can you imagine how that catalog show might have turned out...:eek: !!!?

Debbie :D

Rebeccascabinet said:
Personally I would'nt even send the email nor would I call the hostess.
Just bless and release...
When I unsubscribe to newsletters I feel no need to explain why and it may even peeve her off more. Just my two cents.
Yes, that was my fear that she will think why am I still pestering her. Still not sure what to do but as the day wears on it is bothering me less... you can't please everyone and we live in an imperfect world.

dwyerkim said:
Yes, that was my fear that she will think why am I still pestering her. Still not sure what to do but as the day wears on it is bothering me less... you can't please everyone and we live in an imperfect world.

I learned that early in my business. I try very hard to have great customer service and treat people like I would like to be treated, but I learned early on that you can't make everyone happy. You will always have a dissatisfied customer no matter what you say or do or how hard you try.

I also agree, people make mistakes and sometimes people can be inconsiderate and unforgiving. She obviously thought writing down a confirmation number was too difficult, so can you imagine how that catalog show might have turned out...:eek: !!!?

Debbie :D[/QUOTE]

That is so true! This could be a blessing in disguise!
Curious- what item did she want and what did she get?

susan g said:

Debbie :D

That is so true! This could be a blessing in disguise!
Curious- what item did she want and what did she get?[/QUOTE]

She initially ordered the outdoor utensil set (she apparently already has the plates) but wanted to change that and get a knife instead... we talked extensively about the different knife collections and she decided she wanted the green santoku knife.

1. What is the return policy for Pampered Chef products?

Pampered Chef offers a 100% satisfaction guarantee on all products. If you are not completely satisfied with your purchase, you can return it within 1 year for a replacement or refund.

2. Can I return a product if it was purchased from a consultant?

Yes, you can return a product purchased from a consultant as long as it is within 1 year of the purchase date. You can either contact the consultant directly or reach out to customer service for assistance.

3. What if the product I received is damaged or defective?

If you received a damaged or defective product, please contact customer service immediately. We will be happy to send you a replacement or issue a refund.

4. Do I need to have the original packaging in order to make a return?

No, the original packaging is not necessary for a return. However, we do ask that you package the item securely to avoid any damage during the return shipping process.

5. How long does it take to process a return?

Once we receive your returned product, it can take up to 2 weeks for us to process the return and issue a refund. If you are exchanging the item, the replacement will be sent out within 5 business days.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pamperedberry
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
pamperedberry
  • chefsteph07
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
lt1jane
  • scottcooks