1. Pampered Chef relies on relationships and communication. How are you managing your business in the wake of Coronavirus and social distancing? Discuss here
    Dismiss Notice

Pampered Chef: Wrong total charged at show?

1. RossDeb2

RossDeb2 Member Gold Member

How do you all handle it when you have charged a customer the wrong total at a show. I don't always get to verify each price on the order form. I had a large party on Sunday and people were lined up to place their orders. Well, one lady was out by $21. Every price on her order form was out by a few dollars. I don't even know where she got the prices???? These prices were not even listed on the page???? Anyway, I'm looking for a tactful way to handle it when I call her to ask for the remaining $21 owed for her order. Any ideas? I don't want to insult her (and it was my fault for not checking each order):grumpy: but I do not want to absorb a $21 loss. She paid by cheque. Thanks for the help.:)

Jul 21, 2009
  2. NooraK

NooraK Legend Member Gold Member

I'd just be honest.

Ask her how she enjoyed the party, bring her back to the fun. Then: "I'm sure you remember how many people there were, I actually had a line! Unfortunately that meant that I was not able to check the order forms against the catalog while I was checking people out. I was finishing up your order at home and I realized some of the prices on the order form were not correct. I'm sorry I wasn't able to catch it before, but I wanted to rectify it with you right away."

Then, I'd go over the items that are incorrect (did she take a catalog? That might be helpful), let her know what was on the order form, and what the correct price is. Then let her know what her new total is.

"So with the S&H, the total is $XX.XX. I know you paid by check, so I can take a card over the phone for just the difference, or I can charge the whole thing to a card and tear up the check."

Giving a choice like this helps get the order closed. If she pushes back, just say

"Unfortunately I can't submit the order as is until I have the full amount. We can remove some items if you need to, but Suzy Hostess won't get credit for the order until it's completed."

Jul 21, 2009
  3. Bluiydangl

Bluiydangl Member

I agree- call and just let her know- Hate to say it- but some people will take advantage of the situation and do that on purpose I've had someone do that to me. a good friend was sitting next to them and commented that I probably didn't check the "actual" price and she would make up her own... so when I put it in P3 that night I realized the diff, the friend called me the next day and told me... and I called the guest and said nicely-- I can get new payment from you- or take off x amount in product so you don't owe me anything- but I can't cover the extra cost and feel I caught it in a timely manner to inform you of what happend. I can't finalize the order without full payment. and apologized like I had no idea what they did..... she paid the diff. So- I loe what Noora said- sounds great. You should eat $21 when they had wrong prices on the form!!

Jul 21, 2009
  4. kdangel518

kdangel518 Advanced Member Gold Member

I think what NooraK said is perfect- unfortunately I wasn't able to double check all the prices/totals at the show because there were so many people there! When I got home and entered your order I noticed it was short by $21.... I have a sneaking suspicion she did it on purpose, but I sincerely hope that I am wrong!

Jul 21, 2009
  5. ChefBeckyD

ChefBeckyD Legend Member Gold Member

She didn't by any chance have a US catalog, or had already written out her list after looking at a US website, did she?

Just something to think about....

Jul 21, 2009
  6. raebates

raebates Legend Member Staff Member

Noora's wording was great. That's exactly how I'd handle it, too.

Jul 22, 2009
  7. cwinter474

cwinter474 Veteran Member Gold Member

This was my first thought, as well.

Jul 22, 2009
  8. NooraK

NooraK Legend Member Gold Member

Maybe if you tell us some of the items and what she put down for prices, we can tell you if that's the case.

Jul 22, 2009
Have something to add?