• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Maximizing Your Food Cost Write-Offs: Tips for Record-Keeping and Organization

In this case, because you are providing the ingredients as an incentive to get the host booked, it would fall under the category of Consultant Gift.
cooking.with.ann
Gold Member
OK, I'm trying to be much more productive this year, and trying to get more organized from the start...

What records do you keep of your food purchases to determine what you are going to write off? Receipts, log of recipes tried, notes, what?

Many thanks! This site is such a great help to me, and I appreciate all of you very much.

Ann

I just save all of my receipts in one folder that have products from receipts I'm going to or have tried. Then everything goes to my husband and he does the taxes ;)

I save all my receipts in a envelope (in an ideal world). I count recipes I try and if I buy any food for the shows.

Start out rightTo keep it organized I tell my new girls to start out right to get into the habit of entering all your show expenses as you go. This includes your mileage, food costs, and any extra costs such as mailing for that show, etc. You should, before you close your show key in all your expenses for that show under Income/Expense report. Then at the end of the year you simply print out your expenses for your tax purposes.

Also, do keep all your receipts. I too use Manilla folders. Some people do according file folders so you can have all receipts for each month. This is handy too.

I use an accordian file, but rather than monthly, I sort receipts by category: office supplies, groceries, postage, etc.

For food receipts, I try to write the reason on the receipt (and circle the applicable items if there were non-deductable items on it) when I get home. Like "recipe for Sue's show" or "try out theme show recipe."

I'm like Ann - I keep receipts by expense, not month. I also "try" to record everything in PP as I go along for each show - so mailing expenses, and show ingredients, etc...are all right there together. I do the same thing w/ mileage - I mapquest each show and put in the mileage, but then also keep the actual mileage written in my Franklin Planner.
For recipe trial ingredients - I just keep all my grocery receipts, and highlight the items that I used for PC recipe trials.
I do our taxes w/ Turbo Tax, and it couldn't be any easier...in fact, I think it is sorta fun (sick and wrong, I know!) I did our taxes last weekend, and sent them in late Sunday night.....on Monday morning, I had an email that they had been accepted by the IRS, and the refund would be deposited w/in 2 weeks!:D

QuestionIf a customer wins a free cooking show and I provide the ingredients, do I enter the cost of ingredients as a Show Expense in P3? Or Consultant Gift? Which would that fall under? Also, do you enter the actual cost or $15? I know when I buy the ingredients, they are always more than $15...

C. Schapker said:
To keep it organized I tell my new girls to start out right to get into the habit of entering all your show expenses as you go. This includes your mileage, food costs, and any extra costs such as mailing for that show, etc. You should, before you close your show key in all your expenses for that show under Income/Expense report. Then at the end of the year you simply print out your expenses for your tax purposes.

Also, do keep all your receipts. I too use Manilla folders. Some people do according file folders so you can have all receipts for each month. This is handy too.

I'm new too (3 months) and this is what I try to do. I've also gone to buying all my food for hosts because sometimes they can't find thing and substitute weird things that might sound good:confused: Then depending on the host I have them re-emberse me or if I'm paying I write off the total spent not just the $15. I don't know if this is the right thing to do but so far it works for me. I have an appt. with the accountant on Tues. I'm sure He'll have some great ideas too.

Show Expense Or Consultant Gift?

Gifts, according to our friends at the IRS, are restricted to $25 PER client/customer PER year..... So, only use that designation for true "gifts". Christmas present, baby shower gift, wedding gift... etc. All other expenses are or should be considered INCENTIVES.... As far as I know there is no rescriction on incentives. So, you offered to buy the recipe ingredients as a incentive, hoping that would get the host to book~ not as a gift because of a special occassion.

Besides food items purchased for shows, or for recipe experimentation, consider setting up catagories for:

Office Supplies
Professional fees - membership fees, tax/accountant fees, lawyer fees, business license, chambre of commerce, etc
Subscriptions & books - Lemon Aid Lady!
Cleaning - laundry soap and dish soap used to clean PC items, either purchase sep. or figure a fair %
Paper & plastic products used for shows
Furniture - office, storage
Gifts
Conferences, seminars and other trainings
Car expenses or mileage

There will be additional catagories if you are claiming a portion of your home for exclusive or regular business use, such as utilities, home owners insurance, hazard insurance, PMI, property taxes, interest on home loan.

What other catagories do you all use??

1. How can I keep track of my food expenses for tax purposes?

One of the best ways to track your food expenses is to keep a log or spreadsheet of all your purchases related to your business. This includes receipts, invoices, and credit card statements. Make sure to record the date, amount, and purpose of each expense to make it easier to categorize for tax deductions.

2. What are some commonly overlooked food write-offs?

Some commonly overlooked food write-offs include meals or snacks purchased while traveling for business, meals provided for employees during meetings or events, and meals purchased for networking purposes. It's important to keep track of these expenses and document the business purpose to claim them as deductions.

3. Can I deduct food expenses for meals at home?

If you have a home-based business, you can only deduct the cost of food purchased and consumed during business hours. This includes meals for clients or employees, as well as meals for yourself if you are working from home. However, you cannot deduct the cost of your regular groceries or meals consumed outside of business hours.

4. What is the best way to organize my food expenses for tax purposes?

The best way to organize your food expenses is to create a separate folder or file specifically for these expenses. This will make it easier to find and track them when it's time to file your taxes. Additionally, you can use software or apps designed for small business owners to help with record-keeping and organization.

5. Is there a limit to how much I can deduct for food expenses?

Yes, there are limits to how much you can deduct for food expenses. Generally, you can deduct up to 50% of the cost of business-related meals. However, there may be exceptions for certain industries or specific situations, so it's best to consult with a tax professional or refer to the IRS guidelines for more information.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• ChefCat
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
kayleigh
  • rinakay
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
AnaCash
  • floccies