• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Writing an Article for a Local Community Magazine

In summary, the community magazine is looking for an article writer. They are suggesting new recipes, using a new ingredient, and practicing makes perfect. They also suggest contacting a local independent Pampered Chef consultant for suggested recipes.
BlessedWifeMommy
I have been invited to write an article for the May issue of a local community magazine. Anyone ever write something like this? I am a Math person and I am not confident in my writing abilities.

Here is the description of what they are asking for...

Articles can be about anything that the writer would like to write about as long as it discusses our community, home life, outdoor living, family matters, dining and entertainment, health issues and/or well-being without repeated reference to the person writing the article or the business that they own or work for. Articles need to be 75-125 words (articles can be longer--see attached editorial guidelines sheet for more details) and can include a black and white 300dpi photograph as part of the article. At the end of the article the author should include contact information for the readers such as their phone number and website.

Anyone????

What a great opportunity. I would definitely touch on our $2 per serving in less than 30 minutes meals. Maybe use parts of the press release they just gave us...

I know we can advertize in local publications, but you might consider contacting HO and asking them for suggested words to use and to make sure you are within policy with your final draft.

BethCooks4U said:
What a great opportunity. I would definitely touch on our $2 per serving in less than 30 minutes meals. Maybe use parts of the press release they just gave us...

I know we can advertize in local publications, but you might consider contacting HO and asking them for suggested words to use and to make sure you are within policy with your final draft.

Thanks! I'm off to write. Wish I had a sample to go from. When I am done, I'll post it here so others can use it as a sample in the future.

Have you looked at the press releases from CC? It may give you some information that you could utilize. Otherwise I am no help. Not a writer.

Okay here is what I came up with for my first article. Hopefully I'll be able to write monthly for them!

Cooking @ Home? Try a new Recipe
Today there’s a good chance you may find yourself cooking more often at home. You may also find yourself preparing the same old meals day after day.
It’s time for change! Try some new recipes and get cooking again!
Selecting new recipes can be fun. Consider giving yourself the chance to try one new recipe a week. The best time to try a new recipe is on the weekend, after the weekday rush subsides. So you may be asking, “Where do I find great new recipes that are quick and easy?” Well, it’s not about finding the perfect recipe, or creating the perfect meal, but about having fun trying something new, and continually expanding your culinary horizons. Great recipes truly are everywhere you look. For example, have you asked your friends lately about their favorite recipes? The internet also has many recipes with valuable reviews.
Consider recipes that use an ingredient that is new to you or even one that usually doesn’t make it into your shopping cart. One new ingredient can be the pick-me-up that your meal times are looking for!
Remember, practice makes perfect! This is true even in the kitchen. So, practice, practice, practice, and enjoy every meal you make! I hope I have inspired you to get into the kitchen and try a new dish!
Holly Pixley, Independent Pampered Chef Consultant (520) 237-9390
Check out my website for a new recipe each month PWS here

Well I was asked to write again for June. She must have liked what I wrote, or really needs to fill space!:rolleyes:

Here is what I wrote:

Cooking @ Home? Fresh Herbs
Looking to add flavor to your cooking? Trying to figure out what to do with your garden full of fresh herbs? Try these suggestions and tips to get the most out of your herbs.
Basil is a great addition to salads and pasta. Be careful not to bruise the leaves, as the flavor will be lost. Using a sharp knife will help you avoid bruising.
Chives add a mild onion flavor. Snip them with Kitchen Shears over your dish just before serving to act as a flavorful garnish.
Cilantro flavors many Mexican and Asian dishes. It has a citrus flavor which adds a strong flavor to recipes. Start off cautiously; as you become familiar with the flavor, you can increase the amount you use in your cooking. Try mincing the leaves and adding it to sour cream as a complement to your favorite Mexican dish.
Mint is a delightful addition to steamed vegetables; add chopped mint at the end of cooking. Another treat is to add chopped mint on top of chilled cucumbers.
Rosemary is very versatile. It pairs well with garlic. Try adding the leaves to a marinade, but remember a little goes a long way.
Sage enhances the flavors of meats and pairs especially well with pork. Before cooking your next pork roast, rub a mixture of oil, chopped sage, garlic, salt and pepper to the outside of the roast.
Remember, practice makes perfect! This is true even in the kitchen. So, practice, practice, practice, and enjoy every meal you make! I hope I’ve inspired you to try some fresh new herbs today!
Holly Pixley, Independent Pampered Chef Consultant (520) 237-9390
Check out my website for June Specials and a new flavorful recipe each month (pws)

Have you gotten any inquiries from your first article?

These are great BTW!!!

Holly, I'm trying to read your articles through the eyes of a civilian (meaning, not a PC Consultant - hard to do after over a year in the business!), and I have to say I love that you aren't using the articles as a forum to push your business. If I was just Jane Community, and reading what you had to write, I'd find the information useful and interesting, and your signature would validate why you should be considered knowledgeable in this field, without making me feel you were just out to get leads. I bet, after a few more articles, when the trust is built, you do start to get phone calls and e-mails.

My only suggestion is to personalize the articles a little. The rules for the article writing says not to have repeated references to yourself, but maybe one line saying "my favorite way to use mint is . . .," or "my 3 year old son always eats spinach when I . . .," that type of thing. This way the readers start identifying with you, and are more likely to contact a 'friend' when they need advice or want to know more about The Pampered Chef.

Holly,

That is so awesome....that you were chosen to write an article, and then that you wrote a fab article (despite your belief that you aren't a writer) and then asked to write an additional article!

Congrats on being recognized and that you excelled! Whoo Hoo, Kudos to you! You should be so proud! :thumbup:

Did you get any feedback?

<---Impressed!!!

etteluap70PC said:
Have you gotten any inquiries from your first article?

These are great BTW!!!

Not yet, but I'm hoping this is something that will pay off in a little while! I'm thinking people may read the articles for a few months before they get interested enough to call.

pampchefsarah said:
Holly, I'm trying to read your articles through the eyes of a civilian (meaning, not a PC Consultant - hard to do after over a year in the business!), and I have to say I love that you aren't using the articles as a forum to push your business. If I was just Jane Community, and reading what you had to write, I'd find the information useful and interesting, and your signature would validate why you should be considered knowledgeable in this field, without making me feel you were just out to get leads. I bet, after a few more articles, when the trust is built, you do start to get phone calls and e-mails.

My only suggestion is to personalize the articles a little. The rules for the article writing says not to have repeated references to yourself, but maybe one line saying "my favorite way to use mint is . . .," or "my 3 year old son always eats spinach when I . . .," that type of thing. This way the readers start identifying with you, and are more likely to contact a 'friend' when they need advice or want to know more about The Pampered Chef.

Sarah, Thanks so much for the idea. I like think I will spice it up a bit with some personal stories.

Jolie_Paradoxe said:
Holly,

That is so awesome....that you were chosen to write an article, and then that you wrote a fab article (despite your belief that you aren't a writer) and then asked to write an additional article!

Congrats on being recognized and that you excelled! Whoo Hoo, Kudos to you! You should be so proud! :thumbup:

Did you get any feedback?

<---Impressed!!!

Thanks! I appreciate the encouragement. As for being chosen. I jumped out of my "box" and asked to write. I don't know what I was thinking at the time, oh yes I remember, I wanted to get my name out there! Silly me! :rolleyes:

As for feedback, I'm hoping it is coming soon! The first article wasn't published until May 1st, so it has only been out a little while.

Now, you all need to go out and get your name out there! And feel free to take the ideas here and modify them so they sound like they come from your pen. :thumbup:

1. How do I choose a topic for my article?

When choosing a topic for your article, consider what would be of interest to the local community. Look for events, news, or issues that are relevant and timely. You can also draw inspiration from your personal experiences or expertise.

2. What should I include in my article?

Your article should include a catchy headline, an introduction that hooks the reader, relevant information or facts, and a clear call to action. Use quotes, anecdotes, and visuals to make your article more engaging and memorable.

3. How long should my article be?

The length of your article will depend on the guidelines of the community magazine. Typically, articles range from 500 to 1000 words. Keep in mind that the article should be long enough to cover the topic comprehensively, but not too long that it loses the reader's interest.

4. Can I include promotional content in my article?

It is generally not recommended to include promotional content in your article for a local community magazine. The focus should be on providing valuable information to the readers. However, you can mention your business or services in the author bio at the end of the article.

5. How do I submit my article to the magazine?

You can submit your article through the magazine's submission guidelines, which can usually be found on their website. Make sure to follow all the guidelines, including the preferred format and submission deadline. You can also reach out to the editor directly to inquire about submissions.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• chefjeanine
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies
Views
hollye44
  • Admin Greg
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
sharalam
Back