• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Can You Write Off a New Microwave?

In summary, despite being joking, someone's new recruit was thinking about buying a microwave to be able to write it off as a business expense. Although it might be possible, it's not clear whether it would be worth it, as the oven would also be used for everyday purposes.
dianevill
Gold Member
One of my new recruits was joking around in an e-mail saying she was dying to try the DCB in the microwave, but it just doesn't fit, so wouldn't it be great if she could buy one and write it off? Although she was kidding, it got me thinking. Could she? She'd be buying it to be able to practice for her demos, so it kind of makes sense, but then I guess where do you draw the line? Can you write off your oven, refrigerator, etc... Any thoughts on this?

ROFL, you're right - someone would probably try to write off their $30K kitchen remodel! ;) I'm not sure - I would ask an accountant - you might be able to write off part of it - you never know!

Typically you can write off the "portion" that is used for your business... I write off most of my cell phone bill because I use it for PC. However, I also wrote off 1/2 of the purchase price of the actual phone since I would be using it for PC. If I can do that with a cell phone, I'm sure you could make an arguement to do that for a microwave.
But, regardless of what advice you receive on here (unless it comes from a CPA), I wouldn't do anything without consulting a tax professional!

My accountant let me write off 1/2 on my fridge and stove. I will be claiming my dishwasher this year. I would ask a professional though

I am NOT showing this thread to DH! He probably will try to write off our kitchen remodel, which will be double-dipping since we're using a home equity loan to pay for it and the interest will already be deductible. I'm always nervous about writing off things that are also used for everyday life. The phone bill is easy enough to take half and write that off. But when you get into home office deduction (or kitchen in this case) watch out! I've heard that those returns are much more likely to be audited. Although it would be nice. We've got $14k in our kitchen already and we haven't started any work yet.

hehe, I've had this thought too! My dcb will fit in my micro, but won't turn; so I've been wanting to get a bigger one. Just can't justify it yet since the one I have works fine!

I never thought about this! I won't do it but we just bought a new microwave and I made sure it was big enough to fit my fluted stone since my old microwave was too small.

But then again it does get used for alot of PC recipes.

Wow - never thought of writing off kitchen appliances. Don't think I would though, that just seems too "iffy" for me. We eat alot of foods that aren't PC recipes, and I don't think I could justify it - I would use those appliances the same amount of time whether I was a PC consultant or not.

So, let me get this straight because I hadn't thought of it before. Since my cell phone is my main contact with my customers and is what is on all of my catalogs and business cards, I can write off half of my monthly bill?

Yes. That's based on an assumption that you also use it for personal calls, but about a 50/50 personal/business split.

Thank You, I find out more and more information everytime I am on this site

I'd write off a microwave only if I were going to take it to shows... and let me tell you, I've thought about it! LOL... I'm really surprised how many crappy ancient microwave ovens are out there or how some folks don't have them at all! I've come to assume nothing and ask about appliances! LOL..

<giggle> My microwave is ancient (from 1976), but it still works well!But I still can't wait to get my new one. :)

I thought mine was old until I had a show at this community clubhouse.... was verrry old and took twice as long just to melt chocolate chips, I couldn't imagine trying to use it for making cake... Personally, I'd love a new one... mine's a hand me down from my parents when they upgraded so... I think it's the first one we got so.. mid-80's? LOL..

1. Can I write off a new microwave for my Pampered Chef business?

Yes, if you are using the microwave for your Pampered Chef business, it is considered a business expense and can be written off on your taxes.

2. What documentation do I need to write off a new microwave?

You will need to keep a record of the purchase, such as a receipt or invoice, and a log of how often the microwave is used for your Pampered Chef business.

3. How much of the cost can I deduct for a new microwave?

The amount you can deduct will depend on how much the microwave is used for your Pampered Chef business. You can deduct the portion of the cost that is used for business purposes.

4. Can I write off a new microwave if I use it for personal and business purposes?

Yes, you can still write off a portion of the cost if you use the microwave for both personal and business purposes. However, you will need to keep track of the percentage of time the microwave is used for business purposes.

5. How do I report the deduction for a new microwave on my taxes?

You will need to report the deduction on your Schedule C form, which is used to report business income and expenses. You will need to include the cost of the microwave under the "Supplies" section.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• jonna
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
Happy Mom
  • babywings76
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
raebates
  • Lisa/ChefBear