• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Weighing the Pros and Cons of a Career Change

In summary, Anne is considering whether or not to leave her job because of some HR issues. If her boss leaves, she is considering going back to work. She has always worked, most times more than one job, and her husband is a doctor. She is also considering becoming more involved in her daughter's school, spending more time with her, and not rushing from one thing to the next.

To quit or not to quit?

• Yes

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • N0

Votes: 3 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
AJPratt
Silver Member
So, I am at a crossroads in my life. I have a job I love, but lately there are some HR issues going on that have truly left me heartbroken for my boss and myself. If my boss leaves, which I feel is the best part of my job and why I have stayed on, then I am thinking about leaving. I have always worked, most times more than one job. My husband is a doctor and would be more than happy for me to not work. Pampered Chef would be a great way for me to continue to earn an income for myself and contribute to my family. I could become more involved in my daughter's school, spend more time with her, not rush from one thing to the next, do more charity work. What do you think?

Anne,
OK so I think I know you well enough to know that you would, and have, worked your butt off when and if it is necessary. But if it is not a necessity right now, then I say go for it. You deserve to spend more time with your daughter. And you know as well as I do that if you need to change that, you are perfectly capable of doing so. Have the confidence in yourself that some of us know is there and use it. Deep breath and make the plunge. It is not like you have never had to "change" yourself before. And it certainly will not be the last time you do make a decision like this. You are strong. Be the mom you want to be right now and enjoy the time with your daughter. And tell me this, since when is being a great mom not making a contribution to your family? Please - society has you brain washed!

Lots of women would love to be stay-at-home moms, but can't. You're really lucky you have the choice!
For me, being a stay-at-home mom was crazy-making, some days. I was glad to go back to work.:blushing:

I went back part-time, to work I loved, and I felt that was ideal. I had guilt about putting my kid in full-time daycare. It was actually more difficult to find part-time daycare, but we managed.

Well, you have an interesting choice ahead of you. If your boss leaves, and you no longer love the job, try the stay-at-home thing. Or find another job you love. Life's short!

Thank you, both!

I think being a stay at home mom and still doing Pampered Chef would be great for you. You don't have the stress of having to make income. You can continue PC because you want to. And all those special times with your daughter you'll remember your whole life. Stop and smell the roses!

Since you don't "need" to work, I think the main thing is to do what will make YOU happy. Life is too short to waste on things that bring you down. If you like most of the elements of your work today, stay. As soon as you don't like it, you should then consider leaving. And if your boss leaves, would there be an opportunity for you to go with him/her to a new job? Job decisions are always difficult. Hope you get a clear sign of your future soon.

I agree 100% with what John and Deb have said. Take the time and enjoy being a stay at home mom since you have the opportunity. Pampered Chef is a perfect fit, giving you as sense of accomplishment and giving you a little extra as well. Enjoy it while you can.

The great thing about making a choice is that you can always make another choice. It sounds like you really want to walk away from your current job. So, do it. If six months from now you're going stir-crazy or being driven crazy by the "You don't work, so could you ______________" requests, you can always find another job. Blessings on you, no matter what decision you make.

Its nearly 10 days since your post, so you've probably already made your decision. A couple thoughts - 1. are the HR challenges going to continue if you should choose to stay? Is there evil or danger afoot? GO if you haven't left already. If it is a disagreement, collect yourself and consider which side of the disagreement you side with. If it is a deal breaker for you like it was for your friend, then go. If your friend is the sole reason you enjoy working there, then go - change is the only certainty of life! 2. What's in your heart? It seems like something keeps you from the 2nd choice of PC plus time in your daughter's classroom - what do you want? Go checkout the book follow your heart the money will follow, and do what your gut tells you. (And please let us know!) Job challenges are no fun, but almost always result in a better situation a couple months down the line. You're in our prayers.

I work from home and love it, but I do miss a lot of human interaction :)

Here's my take on this, for what it's worth. I was let go a little over a month ago from a job due to things slowing down and I was last one hired, so first to go. It was a job I simply tolerated solely for the paycheck and I had been considering leaving due to my Dad's failing health, so it was a blessing in disguise really. They're off the financial hook for my paycheck and I don't have to commute 60 miles daily to a place I truly despise. LOL! Since then, I've been able to devote more time to helping my Dad - he'll be 90 on July 1st and I know he won't be around forever. He wasn't feeling well, wasn't eating well, and I think a bit depressed. An antibiotic and company have helped turn things around. He's eating better and more often and regainig some strength and for that I truly thank God. If I didn't work from home I'd be a zombie at this point, but there's no way I could ever work out-of-town again because I'd be worried about him. That said, I live in a small town and jobs are nil. I can go work at Dairy Queen or Pizza Hut or I can ramp up my PC biz. The flexibility is one of the main reasons I got into PC. It will allow me to have breakfast with my Dad or make a trip out to his home to make sure he takes a particular medicine. Fortunately hubby supports my not going back to work elsewhere but I do need an income. At least PC is fun!

1. What are the potential benefits of changing careers?

Changing careers can bring a sense of fulfillment and satisfaction, as well as the opportunity to learn and develop new skills. It can also lead to higher pay, better work-life balance, and new challenges that can help you grow personally and professionally.

2. What are the potential drawbacks of changing careers?

Some potential drawbacks of changing careers include starting at a lower position or salary, adjusting to a new work culture, and facing a learning curve in a new field. It may also require additional education or training, and there is always a risk of not enjoying the new career as much as you had hoped.

3. How can I determine if a career change is the right decision for me?

Start by evaluating your motivations for wanting to change careers and your goals for the future. Consider your skills, interests, and values, and research different career options to see if they align with these factors. You may also benefit from talking to people who are currently working in the field you are interested in.

4. What steps should I take to make a successful career change?

First, create a plan and set achievable goals for yourself. Consider gaining relevant experience through internships, volunteer work, or part-time jobs. You may also need to update your resume and develop new skills through courses or certifications. Networking and building connections in your desired field can also be helpful in finding job opportunities.

5. Is it ever too late to change careers?

No, it is never too late to change careers. Many people make successful career changes later in life and find great satisfaction and success in their new paths. It's important to remember that your skills and experiences are transferable, and with determination and hard work, you can make a successful career change at any age.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• jj16
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
raebates
  • Kitchen Diva
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Kitchen Diva
Replies