• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Should I Cancel My Cooking Show?

show. From that show, my sister-in-law now has a very successful home-based business, and our Ice Shaver is still sitting on her kitchen counter!The moral of the story? Don't be a "dumb" husband, and support your wife in any way you can! :)
janetupnorth
Gold Member
I have a host for Thursday who sent out invitations, has talked to people, is calling people tonight but only has 1 for sure yes and 2 maybes. I am still planning on doing the show, but her husband wanted her to cancel because he works with me at my FT job and wanted to courteous of my time (knows PC is a "job" too). I told him that we'll still plan on it and that I wanted to give his wife a "break from the kids".

Sometimes I would think of cancelling/rescheduling too, but this is my only cooking show this month (have one catalog) and I've fed her information about the business, she had a past bad experience with a PC consultant and wasn't going to order PC ever again but after coming to my show and seeing how I do things, approached ME for a show not me approaching her... I just get a feeling that this may be a good opportunity...if I cancel, I miss the personal contact, the potential bookings, the potential recruits...forget the sales, why miss those?

I don't plan on cancelling, but what do you think????

P.S. I did some more "host coaching" today and talked to her about getting outside orders still...

Oh, and ChefBeckyD...if you read this tonight, I need your Strawberry Cheescake Trifle recipe that you do for WW shows!!!!! :rolleyes:

I think that if you don't want to cancel, then don't. While the DH is very considerate to think of you and your time, it is still YOUR time and if you want to do the show... then do it! While you might not get many orders or any bookings, you have probably made a life-long customer from this lady... sometimes that is worth giving up one show to get!

Did she make reminder calls? When I was hosting a Tupperware show, I had two people coming. After reminder calls I had seven.

I definately think you should do it, I know I would feel very touched by someone still willing to come even knowing that the turn-out may be only 1 or 2.

DebbieJ said:
Did she make reminder calls? When I was hosting a Tupperware show, I had two people coming. After reminder calls I had seven.

She is doing reminder calls tonight and tomorrow morning both, so I am still optimistic of a few more. She has some "nos" from a conflicting event so I told her to still ask them if they want to order, especially items being discontinued.

I would go. My last show, 4 people showed up after she called them and 2 of them booked shows.

katie0128 said:
I think that if you don't want to cancel, then don't. While the DH is very considerate to think of you and your time, it is still YOUR time and if you want to do the show... then do it! While you might not get many orders or any bookings, you have probably made a life-long customer from this lady... sometimes that is worth giving up one show to get!

Sorry for the odd question ladies - but I see everyone use DH alot. What does it stand for?:rolleyes:

In theory - Dear Husband... if you are mad, then you pick the "d" word to use.

dear husband
dd- dear daughter
ds- dear son

Thanks Katie! :)
Thanks Lori! :)

I thought DH actually stood for "Dumb Husband" sometimes that seems fit.:D

Is this the one your looking for?

Attachments

• Strawberry Cheesecake Trifle.doc
    283.5 KB · Views: 313
pchefjenn said:
Thanks Katie! :)
Thanks Lori! :)

I thought DH actually stood for "Dumb Husband" sometimes that seems fit.:D
It could! :p :rolleyes:

Janet,
Here's a true story, from 10 years ago, when I was a new Consultant....

I had decided, early on, not to "beg" for shows, especially from my family members. I have always felt like, it's my responsibility to let people know what I do, but then it's up to them to tell me if they are interested.

That being said, my sister-in-law told me one day that she wanted to have a show. She decided she really wanted our Ice Shaver, and she'd be able to get it for free by hosting, using our points system. I was ecstatic, and she was show number 13.

The day of the show, I drove to her house, which is almost 20 miles from me. She had a whoppin' 2 guests!! Sales were low, less than $200, even after she got outside orders and closed the show.
I was "grumbling" a bit, I admit it, to my husband, her brother, about how "she could've tried"!! My husband sort of gave me a "scolding" look, and said, "Well, she DID have a show for you!!"

Well....at the show, one of the women booked a show. From that show, her mother and sister each booked a show. Her church's youth group also booked a show, as they wanted products for the church kitchen. (like a shower, really!) This show was over $1200. Then, the church members started having shows. One of them, at her show, a guest decided to take a book to work to see if anyone wanted to order. A co-worker decided that, instead of ordering, she'd just have a show instead. At that show, I met my first recruit, who is still with me today!! All in all, the shows that resulted from my sister-in-law's "2 person" show went on for about 3 years!! And, I got a recruit, too!!

Lesson learned? You betcha!! NEVER, I repeat, NEVER, complain about a 2-person show!! Especially when you get a booking, 'cause you just never know where that will lead ya!!

Go and enjoy your show on Thursday!! Look at it as a good night to "practice", if nothing else!! (Besides, you'll no doubt make more $$ than you will if you stay at home, right?)

Let us know how it goes!! (Now, if I could just get my sister-in-law to host another show, huh....? lol)

Blessings,
Paula

I totally agree with Paula. I've had three shows with only two guests. One I just couldn't salvage ($14.95 in sales...really!)....but the other two each resulted in bookings that led to a chain of $1000 shows and an absolutely amazing team member.

My philosophy is that if a host loves PC, then that is good enough for me (being a junkie of many years myself :))

I was the host of a 2-person show.:blushing: :eek:

I attended a friend's PC show, fell in LOVE with the products, but could only afford to spend $40 that night. So, I booked a show with my recruiter - who, mind you, lives about a 2-hour drive from me. God bless her, she coached me the best she could, and I did everything she told me too the best I could. I had 6-7 maybe's and yeses for my show. Two people showed up - one was my 60-something neighbor, the other was the friend whose show I'd attended (and she was REALLY late).

I had talked to my recruiter earlier that day and told her I wasn't sure how many would show up plus we had a freak April snow storm, and she came anyway. We did have a lot of fun, and even my dh participated! My show closed at just over $600, only about half came from outside orders. My neighbor bought almost $200 herself!!!

Oh yea - and because I saw that even with my "party failure", people LOVE PC items, I signed up.:balloon: I'm not sure I would have if she'd backed out of my show.

I would continue with the show. My smallest show had three guest come and I still sold a lot of products.

Janet - here it is again!:)

1 prepared Angel Food Cake
1 pkg instant Cheesecake Pudding Mix
1 1/2 C. Skim Milk
1 12 ounce Cool Whip lite
2 Qts Berries (I've been doing mixed Strawberries and Blueberries - it's blueberry season!)
Sliced Almonds

Fill the EAD with about 2-3 ounces of Cool Whip. Mix pudding mix w/ milk, and then once set, fold in rest of Cool Whip. Chop Strawberries, and fold in other berries to the strawberries.
Cut Angel Food cake into cubes.
Layer 1/2 of cake, 1/2 of berries, 1/2 of Pudding mixture - then repeat. On top, Decorate using the Cool Whip in the EAD, and chop almonds and sprinkle.

Paula is right , one day I was thinking about bookings and how only one show has gotten me 500 shows I say wveyone is conected some how one booking to another and so on .
I always do this school fair in Nov, the 1st year after the show I said to myself that's it this hole day was a wasts I only got 1 booking asd a few sales , Well this year will be the 4th year doing it and a 1599 show came out of it and many many bookings so you never know what could happen

I'd do it. Just because she has few "yeses", doesn't mean that people who didn't respond won't show up. That's happened to me - people don't respond, aren't home to answer the reminder call, and then show up 5 minutes before the party.

YES do the show people do not RSVP.
Sunday for the baby shower by noon I thought I had 27 people coming when it was over we had 42!!!
Luckily we had plenty of food, house was CROWDED. Out of the "extras" that showed up 1 was in her mid 20's the rest were over 50 THEY KNEW BETTER!!

ChefBeckyD said:
Janet - here it is again!:)

1 prepared Angel Food Cake
1 pkg instant Cheesecake Pudding Mix
1 1/2 C. Skim Milk
1 12 ounce Cool Whip lite
2 Qts Berries (I've been doing mixed Strawberries and Blueberries - it's blueberry season!)
Sliced Almonds

Fill the EAD with about 2-3 ounces of Cool Whip. Mix pudding mix w/ milk, and then once set, fold in rest of Cool Whip. Chop Strawberries, and fold in other berries to the strawberries.
Cut Angel Food cake into cubes.
Layer 1/2 of cake, 1/2 of berries, 1/2 of Pudding mixture - then repeat. On top, Decorate using the Cool Whip in the EAD, and chop almonds and sprinkle.

Thanks Becky!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - scoured my e-mails and only could find the Southwestern Salad recipe!

Well, thanks everyone for confirming my "gut feelings". I didn't want to cancel, wasn't planning on it, but sometimes you just need confirmation for your "gut".

Well, her DH stopped me just a few minutes ago. After reminder calls last night, she is up to 6 people.

janetupnorth said:
Well, thanks everyone for confirming my "gut feelings". I didn't want to cancel, wasn't planning on it, but sometimes you just need confirmation for your "gut".

Well, her DH stopped me just a few minutes ago. After reminder calls last night, she is up to 6 people.

YEA!!! See - it all works out! Often, I will have hosts who are panicky and worried because they haven't heard from people. I always tell them - "IF YOU CALL THEM, THEY WILL COME".

I think the best thing is that you are providing her with a positive PC experience after a negative one - she is going to LOVE you!:love:

And I don't think I sent that recipe to you as an email - I think I just posted it on here for you before.....but what thread would be the question!:confused:

ChefBeckyD said:
And I don't think I sent that recipe to you as an email - I think I just posted it on here for you before.....but what thread would be the question!:confused:

Well, thanks again! I don't have time to search so MUCH APPRECIATED! :thumbup:

Awesome! You're going to have fun!

I was one of 2 guests at the show I attended. The sales just barely squeaked by but the host & I both signed. The host is no longer doing PC but I've been doing it for about a year. So you never know what can come out of a small show.

janetupnorth said:

Woo Hoo Janet!
That's AWESOME!
I hope you have a terrific show!

I had a show back in Feb that had three guests, well, four if you include the Schwann's man that stopped in. :D That show barely qualified. Her neighbor booked & had a $900 show a month later. That show led to 3 more, plus a bridal registry. One of those 3 was another $800 show, plus 3 bookings. :) I'm sure we all have those stories. I'm glad you're going to do it!

This thread has inspired me to put together a kind of family tree for all my shows. I want to see the progression of all my shows and their bookings and how much in sales I did thanks to one show (basically).

So, I'm at school registration tonight for my daughter and the host for tomorrow and I are talking and she says, oh, by the way, my friend that is coming tomorrow night is REALLY thinking of becoming a Pampered Chef Consultant so bring your A-game tomorrow night.

How cool is that????????????????!?!?!??!?!? I knew I had a feeling about this show for a reason...

Now, to give the proper amount of information, make it all about her and don't "throw up" PC all over her... ...wish me luck tomorrow night!!!!!!

I've done the 2 guest shows....you can just never tell!

Here's a prime example as to why: I did a show swap with a creative mem. lady a few years back...the show she hosted for me was huge, she got a lot of benefits out of it...although I ended up getting no bookings from it, which was a bummer. I was having a harder time getting people to come to my show for her...I think I had 2 or 3 lined up, and she was royally ticked at me...using phrases like "waste of my time" and "had a great show for you!". Part of the trouble I'd had with getting people to her show was that we have a consultant at our church...so I was trying to focus on other people I knew. I talked to this friend and she was aghast at the girl not wanting to do the show! Turns out 2 of the girls that were going to come to the show became great customers to the lady at church, and one of them signed up to be a consultant. Bet the other girl wished she would have come now!!!

janetupnorth said:
So, I'm at school registration tonight for my daughter and the host for tomorrow and I are talking and she says, oh, by the way, my friend that is coming tomorrow night is REALLY thinking of becoming a Pampered Chef Consultant so bring your A-game tomorrow night.

How cool is that????????????????!?!?!??!?!? I knew I had a feeling about this show for a reason...

Now, to give the proper amount of information, make it all about her and don't "throw up" PC all over her... ...wish me luck tomorrow night!!!!!!

Whooo Hooo Janet! You go Girl!

XXXXfingersXXXX and sending good thoughts your way!!

1. Should I cancel my cooking show if I only have one definite guest and two maybes?

No, it is not recommended to cancel your cooking show. Even if you only have a few guests, it is still an opportunity to showcase your products and potentially gain new customers and hosts.

2. My host's husband wants her to cancel the show as a courtesy to my time. Should I still go through with it?

It is ultimately up to you, but cancelling the show may result in missed opportunities for future sales, bookings, and potential recruits. It may also disappoint your host who was excited about the show.

3. I have only one cooking show this month and have been promoting it. Should I cancel or reschedule?

It is not recommended to cancel or reschedule unless absolutely necessary. Your host and guests may have made arrangements and plans to attend the show, and cancelling could result in disappointment and loss of potential sales and bookings.

4. My host had a bad experience with a previous PC consultant but approached me for a show. Should I still do the show?

Yes, this is a great opportunity to showcase your excellent customer service and product quality. By providing a positive experience for your host, you may gain a loyal customer and potentially more host opportunities in the future.

5. If I cancel the show, what will I miss out on?

By cancelling the show, you may miss out on potential sales, bookings, and recruits. Additionally, you may miss the chance to make a personal connection with your guests and showcase your products in person, which can be more effective than just a catalog.

P.S. Here is the recipe you requested: Strawberry Cheesecake Trifle by ChefBeckyD. Happy cooking!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Malinda Klein
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
laurichef
  • nikki70563
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
AnaCash
  • chefmoseley