• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Any Tips for Working with Jalapenos?

In summary, Layla is cooking a show and is making brie with jalapenos for the first time. She recommends wearing gloves and suggests that you should chop the peppers before the show. If you have made this recipe before, you can use the entire pepper or half. There are some safety precautions to take when working with hot peppers, and she advises not to attempt to work with a jalapeno without gloves. Finally, Rita shares a recipe for jalapeno poppers and some safety tips.
laylaleigh
I have a show tonight and I am make the brie with the jalapenos. I have never cooked with them before. It is suggested to wear gloves. Any tips? Do you think I should just chop them before the show.

Also if you have made this recipe before did you use the entire thing or half?

Thanks!!
Layla

I've made it with the entire pepper. Removing the seeds and the membrane really tames the heat, although some peppers are hotter than others (you can taste a small nibble of the pepper before you mix the chopped pepper into the preserves).

Gloves are the way to go when working with hot peppers. They keep the oils off your skin, where they can linger for hours, even after you wash your hands. If you don't have any from supply order, check local restaurant supply shops (like Gordon Food Service).

You can show the core and more to clean out the seeds and membrane too so that adds that product if you want instead of doing it ahead. I sold two core and mores last week at one show by showing it that way and then talking about strawberries and tomatoes as well.

Don't even attempt to work with a jalapeno without gloves. My sister suffered severe burns on her skin from not wearing gloves. It was horrible.

I never wear gloves when only doing one or two peppers, and have never had a problem. Wash with soap before touching your eyes.

If you are cutting up a lot of hot peppers (if making larges quantities of salsa, fo example) then definitely wear gloves!

Robin

Trust me I had a very painful experience one time so I will not handle jalapenos without gloves.

I dont' wear gloves either. I do have a tip though. I always use my garlic press on Jalapenos. I cut the end off and cut it in half, then you my core n more to revome the seeds and membrane. Then just cut it into chunks, about 1/3 and press away. that way you don't have to handle it quite as much and you get very small pieces and the juice that mix in my easier.
HTH

ShanaSmith said:
I dont' wear gloves either. I do have a tip though. I always use my garlic press on Jalapenos. I cut the end off and cut it in half, then you my core n more to revome the seeds and membrane. Then just cut it into chunks, about 1/3 and press away. that way you don't have to handle it quite as much and you get very small pieces and the juice that mix in my easier.
HTH

That is a great idea.

I never wear gloves and we use jalepenos several times a week.
I sometimes use food chopper or salad choppers but usually prefer to cut them with our new knives.
I do remove the seeds with tomato corer (the new one is too awkward for me)
our favorite recipe
Slice jalepenos in half remove seeds fill with cream cheese and sharp shredded cheddar. Wrap with bacon cut into about 4" strips (I microwave it a little ) Broil or grill until bacon is fully cooked.
We make extras to put on hamburgers

I chop the jalepeno in the food chopper lid, then remove the entire clear part, and scrape it out from there (learned from a downline gal). I use the seeds and membrane, but a lot of that comes from the area we are. They LIKE it hot here!

I don't use gloves, because all I do is cut the stem off, then chop the whole thing. If I was messing with the seeds and membranes, you bet your booty I'd be using gloves!

HTH...SIID!

I don't use gloves when handling hot peppers, but I always wash my hands with soap right after touching them.
Don't just rinse with water - use soap!

Jalapeno infoThis thread reminded me of some info I had.

Garlic Press:
- Press garlic (duh)
- Press gingerroot (peel skin first)
- Crush bouillon cubes (powder dissolved more quickly)
- Crush pills for kids or animals
- Make hair from playdough
- Jalapeno pepper – put small piece in, press and release the juice and fine pulp. This allows the “heat” to distribute evenly with no bits to shock you later.

Now, Jalapeno recipes & info attached.

Rita

Attachments

• Jalapeno Recipes & Facts.doc
    300 KB · Views: 381
Thanks for the tips. I love the flyer!! I will use it for my show tomorrow. I didn't use gloves tonight, mainly b/c I didn't have any and didn't have to time to run BACK to the store. It worked out fine. No burning skin. I was really careful though.

Excellent, laylaleigh!

Thanks for the recipes, rwester. I love jalapeno poppers.

Also, if you're going to be cutting/chopping other things, make sure to use a separate cutting board. The oils from the jalapeno will stay on the board and if you go to cut something else, it will pick it up.

What are the best techniques for handling jalapenos?

The best technique for handling jalapenos is to wear gloves to protect your skin from the oils. If you don't have gloves, you can also use plastic bags or plastic wrap. It's also important to avoid touching your eyes or any other sensitive areas while handling jalapenos. After handling the peppers, be sure to wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water.

How do I reduce the spiciness of jalapenos?

To reduce the spiciness of jalapenos, you can remove the seeds and membranes inside the pepper, as that is where most of the heat is concentrated. You can also soak the sliced or diced jalapenos in milk for about 30 minutes before using them in a recipe. This will help to neutralize some of the spiciness.

Can I freeze jalapenos?

Yes, you can freeze jalapenos. First, wash and dry them thoroughly. Then, remove the seeds and membranes and slice or dice them. Place the jalapenos in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and freeze for about an hour. Once frozen, transfer the jalapenos to a freezer-safe bag or container and store in the freezer for up to 6 months.

What dishes pair well with jalapenos?

Jalapenos can add a spicy kick to a variety of dishes. Some popular dishes that pair well with jalapenos include Mexican dishes such as tacos, nachos, and enchiladas, as well as dishes from other cuisines like stuffed peppers, jalapeno poppers, and even pizza. You can also add diced jalapenos to dishes like chili, soups, and stews for an extra burst of flavor.

How can I prevent irritation from handling jalapenos?

To prevent irritation from handling jalapenos, it's important to wear gloves or use plastic wrap or bags while handling the peppers. You should also avoid touching your face, especially your eyes, while handling jalapenos. After handling the peppers, be sure to wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water. If you do experience irritation, you can try soothing it with a cold compress or applying aloe vera gel to the affected area.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Jennie50
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Jennie50
  • CookingwithMary
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
wadesgirl
  • byrd1956