• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Can You Work as a Consultant While Receiving Disability Benefits?

I talked to an attorney and they said that because I am PC consultant and I am considered to be in the "computer and technology industry", my income wouldn't be enough to be considered disabled and I would only be eligible for partial benefits.
cookinforyou
Gold Member
I am facing the possibility of long term disability due to a car accident and I was wondering if I will still be able to work as PC consultant if that comes to be.
Does anyone collect disability and still act as a consultant, I was hoping that if nothing else I could do all catalog and pamperd business shows.

You may want to talk to an attorney about that. I don't know the legalities... usually disability is determined based on your occupation prior to the disability. I have friends that are "disabled" but are able to work part-time in other lines of work, but I don't know how it affects their disability payments... Because there are a lot of technicalities, I would highly encourage you to talk to a legal professional. Good luck to you!

I believe there are limits on how much you make.My friend who is on disability due to mental health issues was on a "bridge to work" program. If she stays employed for 9 months at a time, she's "graduating" into the workforce. But since then she's never been able to keep a job for that long. A couple of years she did something seasonal. She's not trying to work the system, it's just that her issues are much worse in the summer than they are in the winter.I do this part-time and doubt that my income would be enough to raise any red flags if I were in your position, but every person is different.

I have previously known a consultant that was wheelchair bound.

I have recently been doing research on this for my Mom - not PC related, but finding out the work limits. For the Social Security based disability, you can't make more then $1000/month if you want to be considered disabled. I would definitely suggest researching it more/talking to someone about it. HTH, Ashley

Thanks everyone!

1. Can I continue working while receiving disability benefits?

Yes, you can still work while receiving disability benefits, but your income and job responsibilities may affect the amount of benefits you receive. The Social Security Administration has specific guidelines and limits for how much you can earn while receiving disability benefits.

2. How do I know if I am eligible for disability benefits?

To be eligible for disability benefits, you must have a medical condition that meets the Social Security Administration's definition of disability. This means that your condition must prevent you from working and earning a substantial income for at least 12 months. You must also have a work history and have paid into Social Security through payroll taxes.

3. What is the difference between Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) and Supplemental Security Income (SSI)?

SSDI is a program for individuals who have worked and paid into Social Security, while SSI is a needs-based program for individuals with limited income and resources. The eligibility requirements and application process for each program are different.

4. Can I receive disability benefits if I am self-employed?

Yes, self-employed individuals can still receive disability benefits if they have paid into Social Security through self-employment taxes. However, the determination process may be more complex and require additional documentation compared to individuals who have worked for an employer.

5. Is it possible to receive both workers' compensation and disability benefits?

Yes, it is possible to receive both workers' compensation and disability benefits. However, the combined amount cannot exceed 80% of your average current earnings before you became disabled. It is important to notify both the Social Security Administration and your workers' compensation provider to avoid any overpayments.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• mmilus
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
NooraK
  • jcsmilez
  • Pampered Chef Recruiting
Replies
Views
kathy Griffith
  • Nep2nfly