• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Words People Mispronounce That Drive You Nuts...

In summary, my MIL calls "Tylenol" "Tydenol", my one friend always says "verbably" instead of "verbally", and my 2 year old can't say Pizza. I hear "pursy" - my husband swears there's no r in her word. He blushes every time she says "daddy eat pizza?" or "hot pizza daddy, hot!" When my nephew was that age, dump truck sounded like dumb f*ck! DH & I laughed every time we heard it. People who say "acrosst" when they mean across. Makes my skin crawl. My Grandfather used to say "I been knowing him for ___ years
Our local slang is...

Q: Are you going to the (insert activity..movies, store, etc.) with us tonight?
A: Naw, we're just gunna set ta home.

And...
I am going ta Walmarts.

And the word....ain't...very, very, very common here.

Using the word done for the word did. "I done that already."

And Sheila, I love the Texas joke!!

My last name is Easter but those who do not know me just can't seem to grasp that there is only one way to pronounce it.
Ester
Easterly
Eastern
I think Ester is the one that spikes my *itch level the fastest!! And that is the most common error! Like I would be offended if someone actually said the word Easter!!!:confused:

The other day I said something and my boyfriend kept harassing me about it..I said tomorra..not sure why..it just came out that way..but he is one to rewind shows or movies because of the way that people pronounce things..LOL

I used to work with someone who spelled and said Whataburger "Water Burger". I tried to explain to her that they are saying "Oh, wow! What a hamburger!" ... "What-a-burger" ... "Whataburger" ...She just looked at me like I was on crack & kept doing it her way.
vogel.gif

Ann, you reminded me that we used to have a company here that was called Easterday Paint. Alfred Easterday owned the company and made a lot of specialty products, but I always thought that was a terrific name for a company that sold color!Sheila, there is an obscure comic strip/book character from many years ago named O.G. Wotasnozzle and he had, of course, a very large proboscis. Prof. Wotasnozzle came from the fertile mind of Elzie Segar, who also created Popeye. Professor Wotasnozzle was tagged the "worlds' greatest inventor" and he appeared off and on from the 1930s well into the 1970s and even made an appearance in the animated Popeye revival of the 1980s. (He hasn't been seen since.)I can just imagine that your coworker would never get the gag, let alone, be able to pronounce the name.

Easterday

Paint

Someone would HAVE to say...is this Ester Day Paint?:grumpy:

Not unless Alfred married Esther.

Another word issue that bugs me is people who use words as though they were a different part of speech. I'm watching last night's The Apprentice as I type this. Holly Robinson Peet (who is coming off as a real, um, witch, on the show), keeps saying things like, "I tasked and Summer and Curtis with creating the workout." No, you assigned Summer and Curtis the task of creating the workout. She used the non-word "tasked" several times. It was really irritating.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
... Sheila, there is an obscure comic strip/book character from many years ago named O.G. Wotasnozzle and he had, of course, a very large proboscis. Prof. Wotasnozzle came from the fertile mind of Elzie Segar, who also created Popeye. Professor Wotasnozzle was tagged the "worlds' greatest inventor" and he appeared off and on from the 1930s well into the 1970s and even made an appearance in the animated Popeye revival of the 1980s. (He hasn't been seen since.)

I can just imagine that your coworker would never get the gag, let alone, be able to pronounce the name.

No, she'd probably think he was a dog who loved water (water schnauzer) ... she wasn't the brightest crayon in the box. ;)

raebates said:
Another word issue that bugs me is people who use words as though they were a different part of speech. I'm watching last night's The Apprentice as I type this. Holly Robinson Peet (who is coming off as a real, um, witch, on the show), keeps saying things like, "I tasked and Summer and Curtis with creating the workout." No, you assigned Summer and Curtis the task of creating the workout. She used the non-word "tasked" several times. It was really irritating.

Some people in business have been creating verbs from nouns for years now, and I cannot quite understand why. In some cases, I believe it is less educated people trying to sound more sophiticated or more "with it" when, in fact, they show their ignorance by using words they do not know and do not understand.

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt." (Usually attributed to Abraham Lincoln.)

There have been lots of comments on this thread- so maybe someone already said this, but:gitting instead of getting (sad thing is, I thought of this one because I heard myself say it! :eek:)

I'm fixin to laugh at you Bobbi! :D

Sheila said:
I'm fixin to laugh at you Bobbi! :D
Thanks Sheila! YER all heart! ;)Now it's time for me to teach my kids their grammar lesson for today - LOL!

Bring and take. Good and well. :rolleyes:

In the big box home improvement stores, when an item is too large for most folks to carry to the registers, there is often a small tag that you can take to the register to make your purchase. The sign usually says, "Bring this tag to the register." ARRRGH!

I can't "bring" the the tag to the register but I can "take" it to the register. The difference between the two words is mostly directional - I can take something to you and tell you that is what I am doing. It might be in response to you commanding me to "...bring the item to me."

It's a subtle difference, as the meanings of many of the words in our colorful and confusing language are.

Another example is the differences between "good" and "well," two more words that are often incorrectly exchanged.

Your kid might have done well on his grammar test, he didn't good on it. Nolan Ryan was a good pitcher. He usually pitched well. (Actually, Ryan was a great pitcher but that's a horse of another color.)

Speaking of "good" and "well"...If you're sick, you don't feel GOOD. People always try to overcorrect themselves and say they don't feel well. That means your sense of touch is out of whack!

KG you would NEVER make it here in Japan with their translated signs! LOL

Some things that drive me insane:

not putting an s on a plural word - my ex used to say he walked 10 mile or do you have 25 cent

kindly instead of kind of
not using an apostrophe to show possession - had one of my kid's teachers send a note home asking me to sign my child report - and people wonder why my kids don't go to public school

I was just checking http://www.notalwaysright.com and saw the following from someone working in a coffee shop in Massachusetts. It made me think of this thread. Enjoy!(I have just completed a transaction and given the customer their coffee.)Me: "Have a great day!"Customer: "What did you say to me?"Me: "I said have a great day."Customer: "Well, that impossible. I am an English teacher. It's impossible to have a great day. Something will always go wrong and prevent 'great' from being the correct adjective to describe 'day.' I find you wishing me the impossible insulting."Me: "Have a decent day?"Customer: "Thank you."(The customer sits down to eat near the register and opens a book. Another customer orders and pays.)Me: "Have a great day!"Original Customer: "I heard that!"

Jennifer E said:
I have a co-worker that says the darnest things. The one that really gets my is when she says "You welcome" instead of "Your welcome".

Ok I really tried to let this one pass but the old english major in me wouldn't let it......it should be You're welcome as in You are welcome. Your denotes possession as in that is your coat.

I stand corrected. Tasked is a word. I was reading and came across it. I looked it up. It's not in general usage now, but it does exist. Holly Robinson Peet used the word correctly. She's still annoying for other reasons, though.

I live near Canada and they will report on an accident...

And the victim was taken to hospital.

They do not put "the" in front of the word hospital and it drives me nuts. (granted the drive is a short one!)

That's a British (and, now Canadian) thing. They go to hospital, to university, etc.

dollfangs said:
Ok I really tried to let this one pass but the old english major in me wouldn't let it......it should be You're welcome as in You are welcome. Your denotes possession as in that is your coat.
Your you're yore
Their they're there
To too twoNo wonder people have such trouble learning English as a second language, although, I don't understand why so many have trouble learning it as their only language. Q: What do you call someone who only speaks one language?
A: An American.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Your you're yore
Their they're there
To too two

No wonder people have such trouble learning English as a second language, although, I don't understand why so many have trouble learning it as their only language.

Q: What do you call someone who only speaks one language?
A: An American.

Try teaching kids phonics!! As my kids and I are working on that subject and we come across one of those words, it just irks me- and I have to pull out my book and hope they have a 'reason' for the differences that I can try to explain!

And btw- when did this thread go from "mispronounced words" to bad grammar!? Uggh...:D

We ain't to fussy, y'all kin expect usins too be fixin' to talk about anythin's.

OK..not sure if I can type what I am trying to say..I was just watching the hockey game between the Washington and Montreal..and the announcer kept saying 2 things..

Period..her pronounced like per iod..rather than peer iod

he also said series like sir ies rather than seer ies

I dunno...but I went to the fights one night and a hockey game broke out.

And here I thought sir-ies had fringe on top! I thought that's what it was in Oklahoma, anyway!

...where the wind comes whistlin' down the plain.(Another guy horsing around with this thread.)

Bobbie, you should know by now that by the time a thread gets to page 12 it rarely bears any resemblance to the original topic. This one is actually sticking closer than I thought it would.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
I dunno...but I went to the fights one night and a hockey game broke out.

LMAO..that is what I always say..I live very close to an AHL team..so I go to games pretty often..but I LOVE the fights..so I always say that I am going to a fight and hoping that a hockey game breaks out..LOL

raebates said:
Bobbie, you should know by now that by the time a thread gets to page 12 it rarely bears any resemblance to the original topic. This one is actually sticking closer than I thought it would.

LOL...I know. ;)

smspamperedchef said:
How about improper spellings of words! Texting makes kids not no how to spell! Like WAT for WHAT or WEN for WHEN, etc. That drives me insane!

When I was teaching 7th grade English, I had a student ask me... on the first day of class... "Can I write in text?" I said "We all write in text." and pointed to the alphabet above the chalkboard. She said "No, I mean like you send a text message." I'm sure my facial expression said enough.

Oh... and Costco's KILLS me... It's COSTCO people... you go to COSTCO...

pamperedchef.em said:
When I was teaching 7th grade English, I had a student ask me... on the first day of class... "Can I write in text?" I said "We all write in text." and pointed to the alphabet above the chalkboard. She said "No, I mean like you send a text message." I'm sure my facial expression said enough.

Oh... and Costco's KILLS me... It's COSTCO people... you go to COSTCO...

ARGGHHHHH! This reminded me of a sign I read this morning.

I dropped my son off at school, and on the large billboard sign in front of the school (which I KNOW for a fact is changed by the office staff at the school - not by a student) read: "Thanks to all our volunteers - U R Da Bomb!"

Seriously, I think I should be able to hold my sons educators to a higher standard than text language! I'm thinking of composing an email to the principal about this.

Wow, Becky. I think I'd have to say something to the office staff about that. What a horrible example. Cool and hip do not trump good English skills.*Of course, the very fact that I say "cool and hip" proves that I am the modern equivalent of neither. LOL!

Not really a speaking thing, but in writing: using "till" instead of "until." "Till" is something you do to a field, or have at a cash register. If you're wanting to abbreviate "until," it should be with an apostrophe: 'til.

I've been editing something today that has "till" instead of "until" everywhere, and it's starting to drive me nuts.

Don't know if this one has been mentioned (I haven't kept up with this entire thread). But my neighbor says "go with"....example: instead of saying "I'll go with you" She say's "I'll go with"

NooraK said:
...it's starting to drive me nuts.

For me, that's not a long drive.

It's a short putt.

So I was watching Chuck tonight and one of the guys said "tasked" and it totally made me think of this thread!!!

Speaking of hockey games, I forget which playoff game we were watching...it was one with the Sedin twins...anyways, the announcer said some WEIRD stuff. Aside from some weird phrases that make no sense ("Swedish log jam" and "perforated tea bag"), he called the fans "fannies", and shot-pass a "shass" and then said something was "shasty".

I have a friend who calls the internet, the internets.And, there was a woman I used to work with, who would throw these terms out during meetings, thinking she was cool and I would always screw with her. Sorry. I'm a perpetual smart-azz. Co-worker: So let's table this and discuss it.
Me: For the next meeting?
Co-worker: No, now.
Me: That's not what "table it" means.
Co-worker: (strange look)
Me: Do you want to put it on the table or table it until later?
Co-worker: What's the diff?
Me: Seriously?
Co-worker: Yes
Me: (sigh) You put it on the table to discuss it now; if you "table it" it means discuss later. Think Robert's Rules of Order.
Co-worker: Huh, Robert who?
Co-worker 2: (falls off chair laughing)
Me: (sigh) Nevermind, let's just talk about your idea, OK?
Co-worker: That's what I was trying to do.This would happen at least once a month. I guess it was my little version of the movie Ground Hog Day.

Anne, I would love to sit in on one of those meetings. LOL!

raebates said:
Anne, I would love to sit in on one of those meetings. LOL!

UGH! I used to dread them!

Y'ins would have a blast with us burg girls(and boys)

Oh is ugh a word (just kidding) ;)

Very true...

I have quite a few...

ANT for AUNT (I don't know if this is a regional thing in New England, but I think I'm the only person who actually says AUNT)

My mom can't say Hawthorne (hor-thaw-ne) or orchestra (or-cres-tra) those make me cringe big time!

Mom is big on negatives where there should be positives: i.e. if I said "Wow, I really enjoyed that movie!" she would say "So didn't I." instead of "So did I." didn't means you did NOT enjoy the movie mom! She likes irregardless as well, which is not a word.

MH can't say Swiffer. He says Swifter. Ack!

Axed for Asked is a big one for me. Also we WAS instead of we WERE. There are a lot of things similar to that that people say that just make them sound ignorant... makes me seriously cringe.

My biggest pet peeve for misprounounced words? My name. It's Kara. Sara with a K. Not Car-a, not Kah-ra. Sara with a K people, no different. I'll cut you a break the first few times but after I correct you, no excuses! I still have a few coworkers (I've been here for 4 years!) who still mispronounce it.

And when I'm on the phone people always think I say Karen or Carol. Batty I tell you, drives me batty ;)

Oh, and also- this needs washed or this needs fixed.

No... this needs TO BE washed... this needs TO BE fixed. Are we just getting lazy or did we forget proper grammar?

kdangel518 said:
I have quite a few...

ANT for AUNT (I don't know if this is a regional thing in New England, but I think I'm the only person who actually says AUNT)

Here in Michigan, that IS the correct pronunciation. If you pronounced it any other way, you would be considered wrong.

kdangel518 said:
I have quite a few...

My mom can't say Hawthorne (hor-thaw-ne) or orchestra (or-cres-tra) those make me cringe big time!

Mom is big on negatives where there should be positives: i.e. if I said "Wow, I really enjoyed that movie!" she would say "So didn't I." instead of "So did I." didn't means you did NOT enjoy the movie mom! She likes irregardless as well, which is not a word.

MH can't say Swiffer. He says Swifter. Ack!

Axed for Asked is a big one for me. Also we WAS instead of we WERE. There are a lot of things similar to that that people say that just make them sound ignorant... makes me seriously cringe.

My biggest pet peeve for misprounounced words? My name. It's Kara. Sara with a K. Not Car-a, not Kah-ra. Sara with a K people, no different. I'll cut you a break the first few times but after I correct you, no excuses! I still have a few coworkers (I've been here for 4 years!) who still mispronounce it.

And when I'm on the phone people always think I say Karen or Carol. Batty I tell you, drives me batty ;)

I am a big one on names..I have to say that that is one thing that drives me nuts when people mess up..I understand that if it is an unusual one then you might not pronounce it correctly the first time..but really after a while you should say it correctly. That might be because my name is

Heidi - Just like the book - (not HAY DEE)
Kreitzer - (cry t sir) - not Kreiser (cry zer) - not CRYSLER (really where did you see the L)

Kara, it's more likey the pronunciation of "aunt" as "ahnt" is the regional pronunciation and not the other way around. I hear it as "ant" almost everywhere I go. With 249 episodes of the Andy Griffith Show out there with Andy Taylor talking about, and to, "Ant Bee" you're not likely going to change the world.
220px-Cast_01.JPG

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
The_Kitchen_Guy
  • Intrepid_Chef
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Sheila
  • chefmeg
  • General Chat