• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Words People Mispronounce That Drive You Nuts...

In summary, my MIL calls "Tylenol" "Tydenol", my one friend always says "verbably" instead of "verbally", and my 2 year old can't say Pizza. I hear "pursy" - my husband swears there's no r in her word. He blushes every time she says "daddy eat pizza?" or "hot pizza daddy, hot!" When my nephew was that age, dump truck sounded like dumb f*ck! DH & I laughed every time we heard it. People who say "acrosst" when they mean across. Makes my skin crawl. My Grandfather used to say "I been knowing him for ___ years
AJPratt
Silver Member
For example, my MIL calls "Tylenol" "Tydenol". And "Regis Philbin" is "Regis Philbern". My one friend always says "verbably" instead of "verbally".

LOLpuh-skety (spaghetti) - My 43 year old friend still says that.My 2 year old can't say Pizza. I hear "pursy" - my husband swears there's no r in her word. He blushes every time she says "daddy eat pizza?" or "hot pizza daddy, hot!"

Sheila said:
My 2 year old can't say Pizza. I hear "pursy" - my husband swears there's no r in her word. He blushes every time she says "daddy eat pizza?" or "hot pizza daddy, hot!"

:eek::eek::eek::eek: OMG THAT is so funny!

nuclear
irregardless, when they should say regardless

Sheila said:
LOL

puh-skety (spaghetti) - My 43 year old friend still says that.

My 2 year old can't say Pizza. I hear "pursy" - my husband swears there's no r in her word. He blushes every time she says "daddy eat pizza?" or "hot pizza daddy, hot!"

When my nephew was that age, dump truck sounded like dumb f*ck! DH & I laughed every time we heard it.

Oh, yes ... irregardless. That one drives me batty too.
wadesgirl said:
When my nephew was that age, dump truck sounded like dumb f*ck! DH & I laughed every time we heard it.
roflmao2.gif

People who say "acrosst" when they mean across.

Makes my skin crawl.

My Grandfather used to say "I been knowing him for ___ years"
eusa_doh.gif

My mom say's cupaccino and alheimers disease. lol

My DH is 1 of those 'acrost' people. GRRR! Plus he says 'crick' for creek. He's from PA and he says that's what they all say up North

Expresso instead of espresso_Or, I'm going to AXE you a question.

And, He and I were CONVERSATING. Conversate is not a verb, people.

How about improper spellings of words! Texting makes kids not no how to spell! Like WAT for WHAT or WEN for WHEN, etc. That drives me insane!

oh yeah, my ex says ruint for ruined - drives me batty - but maybe just b/c he's my ex. lol

smspamperedchef said:
My DH is 1 of those 'acrost' people. GRRR! Plus he says 'crick' for creek. He's from PA and he says that's what they all say up North

He is correct! They all say "crick" around here (in PA). Just like they say "ruff" for roof (make note i say it right b/c the others drive me batty).

As I put in a different post the other day, my BIGGEST peave is those that say AXE for ask. LIterally a lady at work said "Can I axe you a question?" and I said "No but you can ASK me a question." SHe didn't though b/c she got quite pissy.

the biggee's for me are:
Punkin for pumpkin makes my blood pressure boil
idear for idea (I'd never make it in Boston)
Warter for water (again bostonians)
disorientated...its disoriented

Then...
dis for this
dat for that
dese for these
buhuns for buttons

Well I live in the South and I hear a lot of: win-der (window), warsh (wash) Kmarts (K-mart), Wal-marts (Wal-mart)....and worst for last.... Im fixin' to..... for I'm about to....
All together it would go a little something like this:I'm fixin' to go down yonder to the Wal-marts so I get me something to warsh my winders with.:D

OH...and ongins for onions......UGH!!!!!!!

My co-worker's favorite word is "asTinine"----- makes me crazy!!!!!

mailgirl1978 said:
Well I live in the South and I hear a lot of:

win-der (window), warsh (wash) Kmarts (K-mart), Wal-marts (Wal-mart)....and worst for last.... Im fixin' to..... for I'm about to....
All together it would go a little something like this:

I'm fixin' to go down yonder to the Wal-marts so I get me something to warsh my winders with.

:D

Aight, I'm from the south and I say 'fixin'. :)

Keith! I didn't know you were from the South!!!! Well YEEE HHAAAAAWWWW....hahahaha(I do OCCASIONALLY say fixin' to...but I usually catch myself.....ha. Someone from up North made fun of me a long time ago and I promptly quit saying it...ha)

As I told my son today, my newest internet pet peeve is "I heart xxxx." I'm now used to seeing "I (picture of a heart) xxxx," though I'll never use it, but, come on, saying "I heart" instead of "I love" is not even a short-cut!! I understand why it's supposed to be cute, but it's not.

Oh, wait, that wasn't even what this thread is about, was it?

nuclear

This is absoloutely my biggest pet peeve word wise. And it really peeved me when it was mispronounced by our presidents--Bush (the last one), and of all people Jimmy Carter who was ij the navy on a --you guessed it--NUCLEAR submarine. I hate it when people say NUCULER. Hooked on phonics works for me, LOL.

What really fries me is when people says jewLERY instead of jewELRY!!! Or how about PURT NEAR or TORLET, haha ha!!!:yuck:

rinsch -- rinse
warsh - wash
wrastle - wrestle

all mom's -- she probably has many more words that drive me crazy but these are the top three --

A lot of what you guys have said bother me too! What has been making me insane though is the santoku knife. So many people say santuko and not san-toe-koo. Say it with me folks! SAN-TOE-KOO! Oh, and when people say odviously and not obviously. I've been watching a lot of Dr. Who and the accent that a lot of the people have makes me crazy! They'll say fing instead of thing and a lot of the words that have th are replaced with f. I've caught myself saying somefing a couple of times because of it!

When I worked at the police department, I had someone reporting a physical altercation. I asked if weapons were involved & she said no. Not 30 seconds later, she said "then I axed him ..." I couldn't help it. I cut her off & said "I thought you said there were no weapons involved? You had an axe?" LOL

On another occasion, I had a 911 caller reporting a fight in progress. I asked if it was a physical or verbal fight. She paused for a moment & then said "well, I guess you could calls it a formal fight!" Note to self: use smaller words ... "Ma'am are they hitting each other or are they yelling at each other?" .... ;)

I'm no where near an English major and I'm from the south, so I've been picked on for words like "fixin" (as in "I'm fixin to go ...") and "mashed" (as in Mashed Potatoes ... and I do say potatoes and not taters). But I'm often amazed at the words that I sometimes hear others say. I even cringe listening to Elmo (my 2 year old LOVES Elmo) ... some of the sentences that come out of his mouth are sooooo wrong. LOL

Sheila said:
When I worked at the police department, I had someone reporting a physical altercation. I asked if weapons were involved & she said no. Not 30 seconds later, she said "then I axed him ..." I couldn't help it. I cut her off & said "I thought you said there were no weapons involved? You had an axe?" LOL

On another occasion, I had a 911 caller reporting a fight in progress. I asked if it was a physical or verbal fight. She paused for a moment & then said "well, I guess you could calls it a formal fight!" Note to self: use smaller words ... "Ma'am are they hitting each other or are they yelling at each other?" .... ;)

I'm no where near an English major and I'm from the south, so I've been picked on for words like "fixin" (as in "I'm fixin to go ...") and "mashed" (as in Mashed Potatoes ... and I do say potatoes and not taters). But I'm often amazed at the words that I sometimes hear others say. I even cringe listening to Elmo (my 2 year old LOVES Elmo) ... some of the sentences that come out of his mouth are sooooo wrong. LOL

Wait, what? Mashed Potatoes is not the proper name for this dish? Since when?

FebUary. I know it's acceptable to say it that way, but technically it is Feb-ROOOO-ary!EXspecially. It's just especially.I COULD care less. It's I couldN'T care less!My dad & mom call that number game sa-DOOO-koh rather than sa-doh-koo. Make me itch! LOL

Mispronounced words drive my mom, aunts, cousins, me and my sisters crazy. We think it's because my mom and aunts learned english as their 2nd language in school and so they learned everything by the book, not from their parents, so they didn't inheret the funny pronounciations or accents.

DH is another "acrosst" person. He also says "pin" and "pen" EXACTLY the same! His short "e" and "i" sounds are identical. He always gets mad when I ask him to clarify what he's asking for "Why would I be asking you for a pIn?!" He'll emphasize the "i" sound that time. He says it's because of his mom (she lived PART of her childhood in the south, I say it's just a lame excuse) He also says "chickmunk" instead of "chipmunk".

I know a lady that says muslim (muslin), deorderant (deodorant), Darth Fader (Darth Vader) and in thact (in fact). Her husband says all the sudden (all of a sudden) My sis-in-law sometimes says "strain" instead of drain but this one isn't consistent...almost MORE annoying. My dad is guilty of nuculer, but also says "vovol" instead of Volvo. My uncle says "pamplets" instead of "pamphlet". I had a band director in high school taht says woof (wolf) and expecially (especially). It was funny when she would introduce the classic piece "Peter and the Woof".

And I guess I'll tell on myself - my sister ALWAYS gets mad at me for saying "anyways" when it should be "anyway".

Well, of course the things kids say shouldn't count when they are learning words and probably don't fit in this category anyway, because we love the way our three year old talks. He says "cookie monxster" which we find adorable and his favorite cartoon is Backyardigans which he calls Bardigans.

I'm the one that is guilty of saying things incorrectly. My husband is always telling people how I make up words. I say "slippy" - as in the roads are really slippy today. And I say (and this is his favorite) "funnily", as in "well, funnily enough it wasn't like that yesterday...etc, etc" I know there are others but I can't come up with them now.

And I am from the south AND from the mountains.............so imagine what I can come up with. My favorite that my dad says is "why don't you call your brother on his cellaphone and ask him what he wanted" Yep, that's right! Cellaphone. Needless to say my parents don't have cell phones..........heck, they don't even have internet. We just got city water last spring!

Pedey said:
... My dad & mom call that number game sa-DOOO-koh rather than sa-doh-koo. Make me itch! LOL

Actually, su & du rhyme in the Japanese language. It's soo-doh-koo ;)

Vantastic instead of Fantastic
ReLAtor instead of REALtor
JewLERy instead of jewELry

I cringe silently everytime I hear them!!

pampchefsarah said:
Wait, what? Mashed Potatoes is not the proper name for this dish? Since when?

Coming from WI and living the last 13 years in the south I hear difference in words all the time. I think they are fine and enjoy learning our differences - once I figure out what they're trying to say. WI people say lots of words wrong too so please don't think I'm bashing anyone - we're all different and learned from different people. What gets me is when kids shows use poor language - like the Elmo example above. Or worse when teachers TEACH language use wrong.

There are a lot of word pronounciations that drive me crazy too but right this moment I can't think of any.

I did want to comment on "mashed" though. I do hear that in NC. It's used in a sentence like "I mashed the car when I hit that tree."

BethCooks4U said:
Coming from WI and living the last 13 years in the south I hear difference in words all the time. I think they are fine and enjoy learning our differences - once I figure out what they're trying to say. WI people say lots of words wrong too so please don't think I'm bashing anyone - we're all different and learned from different people. What gets me is when kids shows use poor language - like the Elmo example above. Or worse when teachers TEACH language use wrong.There are a lot of word pronounciations that drive me crazy too but right this moment I can't think of any.I did want to comment on "mashed" though. I do hear that in NC. It's used in a sentence like "I mashed the car when I hit that tree."
When I lived in SC, "mashed" apparently meant "to press", or the equivalent.
I heard things like - "Mash the light on" or "He mashed his brakes". Some of these things are cultural, or regional. There were many words/sayings/pronunciations in SC that I just could not understand. I managed a bookstore there, and sometimes when talking to a customer on the phone, I would have to hand the phone to an employee because I couldn't understand what the person on the other end was saying. :eek:

mailgirl1978 said:
I'm fixin' to go down yonder to the Wal-marts so I get me something to warsh my winders with.:D

You mean that isn't correct??

While we are complaining, people who say, "Would you like to go with?" or "Are you going with?" instead of saying "Would you like to go with me or him or whoever?" I don't understand it...

well, I'm from the south and don't have a big "twang" or anything, but I do say "fixin to"

The Santoku knife can actually be pronounced both ways according to home office. I tell my guests at shows, :sing:to-ma-to, to-ma-to, po-ta-to, po-ta-to, let's call the whole thing off! :sing: it doesn't really matter. (Ok, those words look the same but don't know how to put the accents above the letters on here.) lol!

aks instead of ask

had a battle with my boyfriend's mom..she just hosted a show for me..and for her host special she wants the

TRIFFLE bowl..I kept telling her TRIFLE..not sure if you can tell the difference from my typing..but I think you are all intelligent enough to understand the sound of the i if there are 1 or 2 Fs.

Futher instead of Further..there is a girl that I work with..and when she spells it she even puts Futher..and it drives me nuts..now she says that she does it just to drive me nuts..I say..hey..if you want to look stupid if they need that call for a court case you go right ahead.

chefheidi2003 said:
aks instead of ask

had a battle with my boyfriend's mom..she just hosted a show for me..and for her host special she wants the

TRIFFLE bowl..I kept telling her TRIFLE..not sure if you can tell the difference from my typing..but I think you are all intelligent enough to understand the sound of the i if there are 1 or 2 Fs.

Futher instead of Further..there is a girl that I work with..and when she spells it she even puts Futher..and it drives me nuts..now she says that she does it just to drive me nuts..I say..hey..if you want to look stupid if they need that call for a court case you go right ahead.

Ahh, yes - there is another thread just about this. It's not Triffle OR Truffle! It's TRIFLE, people!

Becky hit the nail on the head when she pointed out that much of what we're discussing here are differences in dialect from one region to another. Like Beth, I was raised in Wisconsin but spent two years in Michigan as a kid. My entire family did a lot of head scratching while we figured out some of those subtle differences.

The differences between "creek" and "crick" all depend on which side of Lake Michigan you happen to live on. In most of the world, soft drinks are called "pop" but in Wisconsin, it's "soda."

TomAto or tomAHto? Vase or vahse? Eee-thur or Eye-thur? Nee-thur or n-eye-thur? :sing:Let's call the whole thing off...:sing:

In southeastern Wisconsin, you take a drink of water from a bubbler, where in the rest of the world, it's a fountain. It's because the Milwaukee County Park Commission installed water fountains in all the parks that were manufactured by a company that called their product "Bubbler." It had a round, chrome ball in the center of a little sink and water would "bubble" up through a hole in the top of the ball. When you bent over to take a drink, the name "Bubbler" was cast into the sink, so it became the common name around here. ("Bubbler" is also used for "water fountain" in pockets of areas around the country. I've heard it used in parts of Ohio, for example.)

But getting back to Anne's point - I'm with her on mispronunciations that have nothing to do with regional slang. "Orientated" for "oriented" and, as was mentioned, "irregardless" for "regardless." Those two drive me nuts!

"Axe" instead of "ask" is sheer laziness, IMHO.

Now, how can you tell when you've officially crossed the line from north to south? It's not the accent - you hear southern drawls in northern Indiana and Ohio.

Nope, you know you've crossed the Mason-Dixon line when you see your first Waffle House.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/d/da/Waffle_House.jpg/220px-Waffle_House.jpg

Well, now, isn't THIS interesting?I no more than post my previous rant, and I get my "Daily Writing Tips" email into my inbox. The subject? "Orient or Orientate?" (Click on the date and time to visit the website.)

To wit:

Do you “orient” yourself, or “orientate” yourself?

Posted: 11 Apr 2010 09:00 PM PDT

This is a common source of disagreement. Both “orient” and “orientate” are verbs meaning to align or position yourself; to work out where you are within a particular situation or environment. The origin of both words is the same : the Latin word oriens meaning “rising” and “east”, because of the rising sun.

Orient as a noun means the countries of the East, especially those of east Asia. Strictly speaking, then, to orient/orientate yourself means to align yourself to the east, although the verb now has the general sense of “to position yourself”.

In the UK, it is more common for people to say “orientate” whereas in the US, “orient” is more common. Writers in both countries sometimes bemoan the usage of the alternative word. In fact, both words are acceptable according to the dictionaries.

The Oxford English Dictionary and the Merriam-Webster Dictionary list “orient” and “orientate” as verbs meaning the same thing. Which one you choose to use really just comes down to local preference. To a UK reader, “orient” may well sound non-standard, whereas “orientate” may sound clumsy to a US reader. Other parts of the world will have their own preferences. The key thing to remember is that both forms of the verb are generally acceptable.

As an aside, the opposite of Orient (the noun) is “Occident” : the countries of the West. There is, however, no equivalent verb. You can neither “occident” nor “occidentate” yourself. The closest verb is occidentalize, meaning to conform to western ideas or customs.

I stand corrected, however, "orientate" is, IMHO, still clumsy but then, our friends across the pond love to add extraneous stuff into words like colour (color) moustache (mustache) speciality (specialty) carburettor (carburetor) draught (draft) plough (plow) or use different spellings and words entirely, like with automobiles, tyre (tire) bonnet (hood) boot (trunk) mudguard (fender) and my favorite...lorry.

As George Bernard Shaw said, "England and America are two countries separated by a common language."

I have never heard of that site, but I'm now a subscriber. Thanks, KG.

Most of the mispronunciations people mentioned will strike my ear like a slightly flat note. The funny thing is that there are a few words that I avoid using because so many people mispronounce them that they think I'm the one who's wrong. It's just easier to avoid those words altogether.

My husband works with a lady next to his cubicle who, instead of saying "Can I AX you a question" will say "Can I AST you a question"...It drives him CRAZY.

Sometimes, just to goad him if he is getting on my nerves, I say to him "I'm gonna ast you a question, so hang on..." LOL :p Or, "don't get upset, I was just ASTIN'"...LOL

Another thing that drives me completely crazy is my NAME! Even though I have it on nametags, etc., people (even my own recruit) calls me "Jan"! How in the WORLD do they see "JANE" and pronounce it "JAN"?

Re: Well, now, isn't THIS interesting?
The_Kitchen_Guy said:
I no more than post my previous rant, and I get my "Daily Writing Tips" email into my inbox. The subject? "Orient or Orientate?" (Click on the date and time to visit the website.)

To wit:

I stand corrected, however, "orientate" is, IMHO, still clumsy but then, our friends across the pond love to add extraneous stuff into words like colour (color) moustache (mustache) speciality (specialty) carburettor (carburetor) draught (draft) plough (plow) or use different spellings and words entirely, like with automobiles, tyre (tire) bonnet (hood) boot (trunk) mudguard (fender) and my favorite...lorry.

As George Bernard Shaw said, "England and America are two countries separated by a common language."

Several of the words that people have complained about in this thread have more than one correct pronunciation. Neither is deemed more correct when you read it in the dictionary. But, let 'em vent!

pcchefjane said:
Another thing that drives me completely crazy is my NAME! Even though I have it on nametags, etc., people (even my own recruit) calls me "Jan"! How in the WORLD do they see "JANE" and pronounce it "JAN"?

Well, it could be worse. They could call you...oh, never mind.

I go by my initials and people even screw that up, and it happens to a lot of us so you're in good company.

You should hear the varied ways people pronounce my name. Who would have thought that Rae could be so misunderstood?

my husband's family says "marionade" instead of marinade (and Martha Stewart drives me crazy when she pronounses it as "marinod") and they also pronounce basil as "bahh-sil" drives me nuts

Don't pick on Martha. She's trying to make herself sound sophisticated. LOL!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
The_Kitchen_Guy
  • Intrepid_Chef
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Sheila
  • chefmeg
  • General Chat
2 3 4