1. Join Chef Success Today!
    Get support for your PC business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of support threads! Totally Free!
    Dismiss Notice

Pampered Chef: Words people mispronounce that drive you nuts...

1. chefa

chefa Advanced Member

How about "pacific" for "specific", "battry" for "battery", "alkehall" for "alcohol"?

Mar 9, 2012
  2. Intrepid_Chef

Intrepid_Chef Legend Member Silver Member

My stepmother still answers the phone, "Yellow."

Roomie claims there's three r's in "warrrsh."

3. mmilus

mmilus Member Gold Member

One of my biggies is "eeeee-legal" - no, it's il-legal to do that. I hear that one on NPR on a regular basis and it makes me want to drop kick the radio!

Mar 9, 2012
  4. The_Kitchen_Guy

The_Kitchen_Guy Legend Member Silver Member

All the more reason to not listen to NPR. ;)

5. wadesgirl

wadesgirl Legend Member Gold Member

The state capitol of Iowa is Des Moines - same thing, the "s" is silent. It's pronounced how it looks without the "s". But we always here Dez Moinez, Dez Moineeezzzzzz and other very bad ones! My mom who knew how it was pronounced always threw the last "s" on.

Mar 9, 2012
  6. byrd1956

byrd1956 Senior Member Gold Member

ideal for idea

Mar 9, 2012
  7. The_Kitchen_Guy

Maybe not in the name, but there is plenty of noise coming out of Springfield and City Hall in Chicago these days. :D

8. lt1jane

lt1jane Veteran Member Gold Member

a girl at work yesterday was complaining about how someone mis-pronounced something. She wanted them to "pronunciate." My boss informed her that is not a word. You "prounounce" or "Enunciate" you cannot "pronunciate."

Mar 10, 2012
  9. darlinclem

darlinclem Advanced Member Gold Member

I have family members who say sody for soda, alheimer for Alzheimer, and my biggest pet peeve affergan for afghan. I just want to SLAP!

Mar 10, 2012
  10. The_Kitchen_Guy

One of the 'burbs northwest of Chicago is Des Plaines. Yup, pronounced "Dess Planes." It must be confusing for someone new to the area (especially if English is their second language) to try to figure out why the "S" is spoken in Des and in Plaines, but not in Illinois.

So many wonderful French names have been Anglicized with all of the silent letters pronounced and I cringe at things like Nick-oh-let and even Jo-lee-yet instead of the proper Nic-oh-lay and Jo-lee-yay.

I especially cringe when someone talks about the Mack-i-nack bridge. That's worse than fingernails on a blackboard for me.

11. pampered1224

pampered1224 Legacy Member Silver Member

"Tracy Speaken" Why the heck is it always so hard to pronounce the "ing" sound? I could maybe get by on "Speakin", (as in Speak in what?). But Speaken? Not even close! I listened to that for two years and every time this lady grabbed the phone I would cringe knowing full well it was coming!

12. pchockeymom

pchockeymom Veteran Member

One of my sisters is married with the last name of "Diaz". A VERY common hispanic last name. She says she always knows when someone who doesn't know her calls because they mispronounce it ("DIE-AZE", "DAYS", "DEEZ", etc.). So her solution, "I'm sorry, no one by that pronunciation lives here!" Love it:D

Mar 11, 2012
  13. lt1jane

lt1jane Veteran Member Gold Member

My last name is Suprise and most people pronounce it like a surprise party. If they spell it right, it's because they spell suRprise wrong. My husband prounounces it "SUE prize." The correct French pronounciation is "Sue PREE zee." That may be correct, but I will not be the person to change it. The whole family uses "SUE prize" and that is what I use.

I have a cousin whose wife found out the "correct" prounounciation of their last name. [Ragatz, commonly prounounced "RAG atz", the correct French (again) is "rah GOTZ"] At the wedding, "rah GOTZ" was being used. My mom was confused because in 30 years of marriage, her sister and brother-in-law never said their name that way. I refuse to be "that" kind of in-law.

Mar 11, 2012
  14. chefheidi2003

chefheidi2003 Senior Member Gold Member

HAHA..my maiden name is Kreitzer..pronounced Cry-T-Sir..so many people like to pronounce it like a close name Kreiser..or Kreider..which is understandable but still not right..I always loved when people would call and ask for Mr or Mrs Crysler..really..you think we own a car company..haha..I wish..LOL. Or Kreetser..we always just said I am sorry you have the wrong number. Only once did I correct the person and give them the time of day..that was because you could tell that they were trying to say it right.

15. pampered1224

pampered1224 Legacy Member Silver Member

Well if we are going there - watschke. The "Americanized" version is "watch - key". Makes sense I guess when you consider that the pronunciation was change on Ellis Island when my great grand father arrived here escaping Germany under the Hitler regimen. But about 4 years ago, I found out the correct pronunciation is "washk". The "a" sounds like "AHHH". "schke" has a "shk" sound. No long "e" at the end and the "t", "c" and "e" are actually silent. There is a bit of a discrepancy about the "e" as silent or "a" - short "a" but most times it is silent. I wonder if Ray Nitschke has this problem! "Mr. "Nishk" sounds weird! I found this out from a man at a tire place named Bob Matschke. Who uses "MASHK". I had a boss whose last name was Kuester. Pronounced "kester" by his family,(mostly for protection sake I am sure!). NOT! "KEESTER"! Like in what you sit on! And he was too!

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  16. The_Kitchen_Guy

I don't think Ray Nitschke cares much anymore. He has a tough area code. ;)

17. Sheila

Sheila Legend Member Gold Member

My Dad (now deceased) used to answer the phone "Halo statue" (Hello, is that you) - joking of course, he liked to see how many people could figure out what he was saying. On the rare occasion that someone would say it to him, he'd reply "at's me statue"

Mar 11, 2012
  18. The_Kitchen_Guy

"Statue?" "Ya, dat's me, statue?" sounds like some of the things we used to hear around here (Milwaukee) when I was growing up. Milwaukee was settled into three distinct communities, Germans on the north side, Italians on the east side and Polish "down by" the south side.

We all had idioms that were a conglomeration of all three languages, but especially the Polish and German influence.

"Ain'a?" which was a contraction of a contraction of a word that isn't even a word: ain't. "Ain'a" was a contraction of "ain't it so?" which punctuated the end of a sentence, much like the Germans say, "Nicht war?" or the Canadians say, "Eh?" or the French saying, "Nes pa?" Example: "It sure was a nice day today, ain'a?"

"Hey!" which was another punctuation at the end of a sentence. "It sure was a nice day today, hey?" It was often shortened to just "eh" sort of like our friend to the north, eh?

German tends to put the object of a sentence at the end, so when our German ancestors came to Milwaukee and learned English from neighbors and friends, they tended to use German sentence construction instead of a more formal English construction. That's how we ended up with such gems as "Throw Mama from the train a kiss."

In German, the word "bei" which is pronounced like the English word "by" means to go to a specific place. In English, of course, the word "by" means to pass without stopping. It caused great confusion for many who would have said in German, "Ich gehe bei Manfred's hause" which in English would be, "I am going to Walter's house." (Excuse my poor translation - it's been decades since I studied Deutsch.) So, it became "I'm going by Walter's house," which had others scratching their heads.

"Going to" someplace became "Down by" as in, "I'm going down by Schuster's" (a popular department store.) Schuster's had several locations, but one of the most popular was on North 3rd Street (now Martin Luther King Avenue) and there was a streetcar route that made a turn there. So, to make it clear which location was being visited, the complete sentence was "I'm going down by Schuster's where the streetcar bends the corner 'round."

Monday was always warsh day, and on days with iffy weather, women would call good old Gordon Hinkley on WTMJ radio's Ask Your Neighbor ( a call-in advice show) and ask, "Are the neighbors hanging out today?"

The one that always threw me for a loop was the phrase, "Do you walk to work or do you carry your lunch?" It took me years to learn that phrase originated "down by the sout' side" where a heavily Polish workforce toiled in the huge factories, drop-forges, machine shops and steel fabrication shops and lived in the same neighborhoods. If a worker happened to live within a short walking distance of his shop, he might walk home at noon to eat a lunch his wife prepared for him. But, if a guy wasn't that close to the shop, he would have to "…carry his lunch."

But my favorite Milwaukee-eeze idiom is "bubbler." Everywhere else in the world, this device is known as a water fountain or something similar, but in Milwaukee, it's a "bubbler." The origin of the name goes back to Kohler, the famous plumbing manufacturer in Kohler, Wisconsin, maker of water fountains that were widely used here. Kohler had a special outdoor version that used to populate Milwaukee area parks. In the center of a small bowl was a chrome ball that resembles a trailer hitch ball. It had a small hole at the top of the ball, and when you wanted a drink, you would open a valve and water would shoot up out of the hole. The water would cascade back on to the ball, flow over it and down a drain hidden underneath the ball.

The trademarked brand name was "Bubbler" and the name was cast right into the bowl. Hence: Bubbler.

[​IMG]

There were indoor versions of it, too, in schools and other public buildings.

[​IMG]
    Where's the Bubbler?

19. dollfangs

dollfangs Member Silver Member

actually your boss is wrong. pronunciate is a word. it is a verb and means to declare or pronounce.

Mar 13, 2012
  20. When people say "su-sess-ful." Drives me insane.

Apr 17, 2017
  21. pmprdprettyinsnj

pmprdprettyinsnj Member Silver Member

Mom mother in law saws PIXTURES, constantly. Drives me batty :)

22. The_Kitchen_Guy

Tell her "Nix on the pix!"

Have something to add?

Draft saved Draft deleted