• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Words People Mispronounce That Drive You Nuts...

In summary, my MIL calls "Tylenol" "Tydenol", my one friend always says "verbably" instead of "verbally", and my 2 year old can't say Pizza. I hear "pursy" - my husband swears there's no r in her word. He blushes every time she says "daddy eat pizza?" or "hot pizza daddy, hot!" When my nephew was that age, dump truck sounded like dumb f*ck! DH & I laughed every time we heard it. People who say "acrosst" when they mean across. Makes my skin crawl. My Grandfather used to say "I been knowing him for ___ years
I've been looking over the list.
No: forte | Yes: fort
The word is spelled "forte" but the [e] is pronounced only when speaking of music, as a "forte passage." The words for a strong point and a stronghold are pronounced the same: [fort].
This is one of those words that I avoid using. People "correct" me when I pronounce it correctly.

Ok, I am jumping on the discussion. I really have a hard time when my DH calls a "sandwich" a "samich". GRRRRR.

My MIL talk's like a child all the time and I just have to bite my tongue and leave the room or else WWIII will break loose.

DEBBI said:
I've started to wonder, why we've all got the idea that our way is the correct way...just a thought.

Rae and I are usually right. Just stick with us and do what we do, and you'll be okay.

pamperedpals said:
Ok, I am jumping on the discussion. I really have a hard time when my DH calls a "sandwich" a "samich". GRRRRR.My MIL talk's like a child all the time and I just have to bite my tongue and leave the room or else WWIII will break loose.
Definition of "Mixed Emotions": Watching your mother in law drive over a cliff in your new Cadillac.
67302.gif

And living to talk it about it FOREVER!!!!!

KG - Check out 534 N. 40th. Pick Number 6 is the top of 40th street. And oops, do not remember which one looked over the new wall, was in the 600 portion of N. 40th just a few houses up from us!

angeljaqua - Not to mention that sometimes it is just too much fun being SILLY!!!!
I mean we can't take life too seriously all the time! Chill and enjoy. Check out this thread!
"The Hitchhiker's Guide to CS - The Unofficial New User's Guide & List of FAQ"
All will be explained there.

Last edited:
mailgirl1978 said:
Well I live in the South and I hear a lot of:

win-der (window), warsh (wash) Kmarts (K-mart), Wal-marts (Wal-mart)....and worst for last.... Im fixin' to..... for I'm about to....
All together it would go a little something like this:

I'm fixin' to go down yonder to the Wal-marts so I get me something to warsh my winders with.

:D
You hit the nail on the head! I am from Alabama too. What city do you live in?

pampered1224 said:
angeljaqua - Not to mention that sometimes it is just too much fun being SILLY!!!!
I mean we can't take life too seriously all the time! Chill and enjoy. Check out this thread!
"The Hitchhiker's Guide to CS - The Unofficial New User's Guide & List of FAQ"
All will be explained there.

He's right. We're not always this crazy.

Sometimes, we're even WORSE!

pampered1224 said:
KG - Check out 534 N. 40th. Pick Number 6 is the top of 40th street. And oops, do not remember which one looked over the new wall, was in the 600 portion of N. 40th just a few houses up from us!

Is that the one with the sawhorses out front and the roof half gone? Or the pretty bungalow next to it with all the flowers?

Pigsville is one of the most forgotten, secret, overlooked, unknown and nicest neighborhoods in city.

OT But....KG the pics are cool.. I enjoyed reading about the Lincoln Highway and found a website about the highway Lincoln Highway Very interesting reading. I always thought the highways in the Lower 48 were numbered from the beginning of construction. Nope. They started with names but then Government stepped in & numbered them. I have now added a new item to the list of things I want to do...that would be driving the Lincoln Highway from beginning to end. Maybe I can take route 66 back.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
I hope so. I think the Bra Measurement thread is the breast one in the treasure chest of threads up here.

Just before all this brewhaha began, I was about to complain about people who say "spittin' image" or "spitting image" instead of the correct cliche, "spit and image."

It came from referring to offspring resembling the parent - "Fred, Jr. is the spit and image of Fred, Sr."

It's one of the list of http://www.yourdictionary.com/library/mispron.html which you can see by clicking on the link.

So, now that this thread has successfully been
threadjacked.gif
all to heck we might as well go see what other threads we can destroy today.

Cool link. A word I had forgotten about that apparently I mispronounce:rolleyes: is Alzheimers. I pronounce it altzheimers. It is a German word and 'z' has a 't' in the pronounciation. I had a Dr heave a huge sigh, then said "I really wish people would stop putting a 't' in the word" Ummm. OK.

A word that bugs me is Arctic. There is a 'c' in the middle of the word that can be easy to miss.

I am never sure about diamond. I would think the 'a' would have influence on the 'i'. However, when it came to naming a major street in Anchorage, AK, they just dropped the 'a'. But that might be because it might have been named after A.J. Dimond.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Rae and I are usually right. Just stick with us and do what we do, and you'll be okay.

Words I will treasure forever. :love:

I have a co-worker that says the darnest things. The one that really gets my is when she says "You welcome" instead of "Your welcome".

akrebecca said:
OT But....KG the pics are cool.. I enjoyed reading about the Lincoln Highway and found a website about the highway Lincoln Highway Very interesting reading. I always thought the highways in the Lower 48 were numbered from the beginning of construction. Nope. They started with names but then Government stepped in & numbered them. I have now added a new item to the list of things I want to do...that would be driving the Lincoln Highway from beginning to end. Maybe I can take route 66 back.

You found Jim Lin's site, thanks for reminding me because I haven't looked at his site in awhile. He's also done a lot of work setting up the official Lincoln Highway Association website, too.

I drove the entire Lincoln Highway from Times Square in New York to Land's End in San Francisco in 2003 as part of the 90th Anniversary of the Lincoln Highway. The LHA is planning a centennial tour in 2013 that you might consider joining. It takes a little longer than two weeks to drive the LH, following the original route. Most of it is extant, a large chunk of it is gone in Wyoming, as it is now under I-80 but through Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois and Iowa, it is a most interesting drive. Somewhere about half past Nebraska, the east peters out and the west begins and it is reminiscent of our romantic images of the west as portrayed in John Wayne movies.

The history of the naming and numbering of US highways remains interesting to me. Although it might be considered kinda road geeky to others, knowing how the numbering system works makes navigating much easier. Even just knowing even numbers go east-west and odd numbers go north-south helps, but remember, those rules apply only to US highways and Interstates.

There's a brief introduction to highway numbering in the Morning Update, March 2, 2010 and I wrote about http://www.jrmanning.com/2006/07/23/wisconsins-place-in-highway-history/ (the first highway numbers appeared in Wisconsin in 1918) on my blog.

Christopher Bessert has three fascinating websites about highways, especially if you happen to live in Wisconsin, Michigan or Ontario.

Well, I do not live in Piggsville or Pigsville per say. Pictures 13 and 14 show the area known as Piggsville. It was the plot of land to the north of the Bluemound bridge and it continued north under the viaduct until it hit the bend in the Menominee River. It was completely removed when they had to drop the old bridge. I actually live in the area known as the Valley Park Neighborhood. It is bounded on the north by Bluemound, west at the river, I-94 to the south and east to 38th street. The actual Valley Park sits at the southwest corner of our neighborhood. There used to be about 6 bars, one cobbler, several small markets and the railroad had several workshops down here. Now, we have only one bar/Inn left. We also have an old brothel! There are numbers on each of the doors in the building still! And what is kinda of neat is that we are what I would call an exclusive neighborhood. With the river, Miller Brewing and the freeway to the west, north and south of us so we are sort of a secluded area of the city with only one neighborhood to our east. We always say if you see a stranger down here, they are lost. Oh and the only way out of our neighborhood is up! We sit in a "bowl" so to get in you have go down hill and to get out, you have to go up! That is why in 1997 82% of our neighborhood was under water in June when we got massive amounts of rain in two days. Can you tell I love where I live?

No, I hadn't picked up on that. Tell us about it, John!

giggle.gif

Tracey Morgan (Saturday Night Live, 30 Rock) was doing an interview and reminded me of another irritating mispronunciation: replacing th with f in a word. He was talking about "the youfs" as in "the youfs of America".

Must be a youfanism for "kids."

akrebecca said:

Oh, one other thing I forgot to mention...the Lincoln Highway is transcontinental from New York to San Francisco. The route is clearly marked in Ohio and Illinois, parts of it are marked in Pennsylvania. Iowa is in the process of signing the route. There are two routes in Indiana, the original 1913 route through Goshen, Mishawaka, South Bend and Valparaiso, the 1928 route goes directly from Fort Wayne to Valparaiso.

Route 66 is subcontinental, it only travels from Chicago to LA. Most of it is gone and what is left is difficult to find, but it's there if you know where to look.

The two routes run concurrently for two blocks in Plainfield, Illinois.

KG - you are a wealth of historical knowledge. I grew up a stone's throw from the Ohio portion of the Lincoln Highway- just south of the Wyandot County portion. We drive on it all the time and didn't even realize it- when we are home or passing through on our way to Chicago (my folks are the stopping point between us and my husband's folks). My brother and SIL live in Upper Sandusky. I think the last time we went to Chicago, we took some of the back roads instead of hooking up to the interstate- so we traveled on even more of it (parts of route 53 and US 30).
There are several parts that I've been on and didn't even realize. I'm surprised they don't have signs up, least not the parts I've been on. I'll have to tell my folks about the "Buy-way Yard Sale" weekend....runs right through Upper! (10 minutes from them)Interesting! Thanks for the lesson, as always. :)

I'd still like to know why Upper Sandusky is below (south of) Sandusky.

Did you notice the new bridge that crosses I-75 at Beaverdam? There are LH logos cast into the sides of the bridge.

The Ohio Chapter of the LHA is a very active group. President Mike Buettner has documented most of the road (if not all of it) in Ohio in the form of strip maps - sort of like AAA Trip-Tics. You can visit their website here: Ohio Chapter LHA.

Beaverdam, Ohio Lincoln Highway Bridge over I-75. (Google Maps.)

Last edited:
The_Kitchen_Guy said:
I'd still like to know why Upper Sandusky is below (south of) Sandusky.

Did you notice the new bridge that crosses I-75 at Beaverdam? There are LH logos cast into the sides of the bridge.

The Ohio Chapter of the LHA is a very active group. President Mike Buettner has documented most of the road (if not all of it) in Ohio in the form of strip maps - sort of like AAA Trip-Tics. You can visit their website here: Ohio Chapter LHA.

I've always wondered that myself. Upon doing a quick search, it's what I suspected- Upper Sandusky is UP-river on the Sandusky River, with Sandusky being at the mouth of the river.
From Wikipedia:
It was named was "Upper" because it is located on the upper reaches of the Sandusky River; Sandusky, Ohio is at the mouth of the same river, some 50 miles away.

Thanks for the website! I'll have to pay closer attention to the area the next time I'm home! Great history lesson for the kids. :)

*Sorry for the thread hijack!*

Thread hijack? That hardly ever happens around here.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Thread hijack? That hardly ever happens around here.

well, I wouldn't want to be accused of doing something unrelated to PC or anything! HA! :p

I can't say much about Upper Sandusky being south of Sandusky - after all, I come from a place where North Avenue is south of Center Street.

well, I am from Massachusetts, so there are a ton that I hear daily that really bother me, but here is a list of a few that go to the op of the list:

- reaf for wreath
- soder for soda
-mrs. for miss
-and my grandmother calls L.L. Bean... J.L. Bean. She has for years and years...

I imagine you like visitors who call your area war-chester? Tell 'em to bring you a bucket full of R's next time they come to visit. I've never quite been able to figure out how R's get left out of words that have R's in them, and some those missing R's seem to end up in words that didn't have any in the first place. My grandmother came from a long line of New Englanders who drifted west over the generations, but she learned her English from them. She did the warsh every Monday and used to talk about a city on the west shore of Lake Michigan that she called "Sheborgan." I could never figure out where the R's were in some of her words.I always smile when I hear "No'm" Abrahm on New Yankee Workshop telling us about his table sawr and band sawr. He must have gotten some coaching over the years, because he's much better about such things these days, but in the early days of This Old House and New Yankee Workshop, he was rather amusing to listen to - once I had my Bostonian--->English Dictionary, anyway.

Oh my I ran into one yesterday and was wondering if anyone else has ever heard this. I was at a restaurant with Pat as these two women were eating dinner and talking about a friend who was apparently in the "hos piddle". (What is a hos and does it really pee?) That was how one of them pronounced it. She said she was gonna "march up in there" and "informs" the nurses that she was allowed to "visitate", (Is that a new surgical procedure?), the person in "that there room". I almost died laughing as I though about this thread!

Everyone knows it's properly pronounced "horse pistol." The noive. (Because a "hos" is a large animal that some people ride.)

Last edited:
Well, as long as you mention it, John, one of the most rude things I hear on the telephone all the time are people who are too lazy to say, "Could you hold for a moment while I look that up?" and they say, "Hang on a sec' and I'll check it."

But then you are ending a sentence with a preposition ... so someone has to harass you! ;)

raebates said:
... As evidence of my word geekdom I'll let you know that one thing people in my neck of the woods do is incorrectly end sentences with prepositions. It's not always wrong. For instance, it is fine to say, "Where are you from?" It is wrong to say, "Where are you staying at?"

I actually had an African American friend who explained that their is a difference between the phrases "lives" and "stays":
  • If you actually own the property (or you live with your parents & they own the property) then you "... lives over on ______ street."
  • If you or your parents do not own the property, then it's not considered a permanent location therefore you "... stays over on ______ street."

I'm from Texas, so I'm allowed to do this one ...
A girl from Texas is sitting in a bar. She turns to the woman sitting next to her & says "Where you from?" The other woman replies "From a place that doesn't use a preposition to end a sentence." The Texas girl thinks about it for a few seconds, turns back to the other woman & says "Where you from, *itch?"​

The Japanese pronunciation of Santoku is san-toe-koo. It drives me batty to hear her pronounce it "wrong" on the YouTube video.

Okinawa is pronounced O-key-nah-wah, not O-key-now-uh. I can't stand to hear other Americans here mispronounce that one!

Oh, yes ... my name is Sheila Dacey. I get called Stacey a LOT! And quite often they will say it wrong with a question at the end: "Sheila Dar-C?" Why people try to put an R in that word is beyond me. It's pronounced "Day-C"!!! How difficult is that? It even ends like Stacey. Would they call Stacey "Starcy"?

Sheila said:
But then you are ending a sentence with a preposition ... so someone has to harass you! ;)

"A situation up with which I will not put!" --Winston Churchill

"Help you I can, yes." -- Yoda

"Annoying, you are." --Yoda, under his breath.

And you are wrong KG - Hos was a character on Bonanza! Although, he was big enough to ride! And Sheila it is "that there is a difference..." not "that their is a difference..." ! Had to do it!

Nope. I even thought of trying to make a Hoss joke out of it, but left it alone. The character was Hoss. Two esses. Dan Blocker played Hoss and he was an incredibly kind and gentle man as well as a good actor. Blocker walked the walk, too. He was so opposed to the Vietnam War that he uprooted his family and moved to Switzerland, commuting to NBC to shoot Bonanza. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/d/d0/Danblocker.jpg/250px-Danblocker.jpg

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Nope. I even thought of trying to make a Hoss joke out of it, but left it alone. The character was Hoss. Two esses. Dan Blocker played Hoss and he was an incredibly kind and gentle man as well as a good actor. Blocker walked the walk, too. He was so opposed to the Vietnam War that he uprooted his family and moved to Switzerland, commuting to NBC to shoot Bonanza.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/d/d0/Danblocker.jpg/250px-Danblocker.jpg

Okay - I just have to chime in here - total threadjack alert!

I have 3 brothers. My older brother is 18 months older (Stan), then a brother 18 months younger than me (Rod)...and a brother who is 9 yrs younger than me (Scott). When the youngest was a baby, he could not say Rod at all, and somehow, it came out as Hoss. He called my brother Hoss or Hossy, and it stuck. We all ended up calling him that. :)

Well, that's a Hoss of another color!

OOOPS I thought I spelled it wrong. I did not know that about him. He was a teddy bear all the way around. I knew he was involved in a lot of charity work as well. I also knew he had something to do with the care of the animals on the show. My dad thinks and said he blew the whistle on the poor handling of the horses to some animal group and the show had to hire trained care takers.

pampered1224 said:
...And Sheila it is "that there is a difference..." not "that their is a difference..." ! Had to do it!

I used "their" instead of "there" somewhere? I'm a stickler on that one being used correctly! So if I did it incorrectly, it was definitely an oversight. Hubby's gone (Military thing) and I'm home alone with a 1 year old & a 2 year old - all 3 of us are sick. I haven't slept in DAYS!!! I've caught myself doing some crazy stuff the last couple of days. Let me tell you ... the terrorists use sleep deprivation as a method of torture for a reason. It's super hard on a person. :(

[hug] There, their, they're now, it'll all be okay. [/hug]

My hug's better than [sarcasm]you're[/sarcasm] hug!
hug.gif

cheeky-smiley-006.gif

For all of you "Word nerds"- http://thepioneerwoman.com/homeschooling/ is doing a http://thepioneerwoman.com/homeschooling/ later today (6pm Pacific time).....you should try your hand (or your mind rather!). :)

Wanted to bring this one back up with "supposively" - (supposed to be supposedly)... "supposively he works, but it seems all he ever does is sit around"

Or something like that. Heard it the other day and thought of this thread IMMEDIATELY!

mountainmama74 said:
Wanted to bring this one back up with "supposively" - (supposed to be supposedly)... "supposively he works, but it seems all he ever does is sit around"

I have a neighbor who constantly says supposibly and it just drives me crazy.

What about the interchange of "may" and "might?" I wish people would realize these two words mean something totally different! "May" means that something will be allowed, whereas "might" means there is a possibility. That's why teachers used to always make kids say, "May I go to the bathroom." And when weather forecasters say it "may rain," I always want to ask them, "Really?! You are going to let it rain?! You have the power to do that?! Or do you mean it might rain?" Drives me nuts.

And while we're on this subject :), I hate when people write "Ice tea" instead of "Iced tea." There are others situations similiar to that, such as "suppose to" instead of "supposed to."

We have a commercial that airs here for a technical college. They use testimonials from various former students. One of the testimonials irritates me. The guy seems like a very nice guy, but he pronounces the word mundane as though it were pronounced mon-dane instead of mun-dane. Yeah, wrong vowel sound and wrong accent. If I see it in time, I'll change the channel before he gets to that point.

My sister says fustrated instead of frustrated..and it drives me nuts..especially since she is quick to make comments when other people mispronounce words

My aunt says Promeganate instead of Pomegranate.

I don't like to correct people..so I will usually just respond back using the correct word in a sentence..yes that frustrates me too..or ooh..I love Pomegranate..I don't think either one of them listen..because they both still say them wrong..LOL

I just heard someone yesterday talking about prostrate cancer. I wanted to ask them if is was caused by laying down all the time but I just bit my tongue.

<h2>1. What are some commonly mispronounced words that drive people nuts?</h2><p>Some commonly mispronounced words that people find annoying include "Tylenol" pronounced as "Tydenol," "Regis Philbin" pronounced as "Regis Philbern," and "verbally" pronounced as "verbably."</p><h2>2. Why do people mispronounce words?</h2><p>There can be a variety of reasons for mispronunciations, including regional dialects, lack of exposure to the correct pronunciation, or simply not knowing the correct pronunciation.</p><h2>3. How can I improve my pronunciation of words?</h2><p>One way to improve pronunciation is to listen carefully to how native speakers say words and try to imitate them. You can also use online resources, such as pronunciation guides and videos, to help you practice.</p><h2>4. Is it rude to correct someone's pronunciation?</h2><p>It depends on the situation and the tone in which the correction is delivered. If done politely and respectfully, most people will appreciate being corrected so they can improve their pronunciation.</p><h2>5. What is the best way to handle someone constantly mispronouncing words?</h2><p>If the constant mispronunciation is causing a problem or annoyance, it is best to politely correct the person and offer to help them practice the correct pronunciation. If it is not causing any issues, it may be best to simply let it go and not bring attention to it.</p>

1. What are some commonly mispronounced words that drive people nuts?

Some commonly mispronounced words that people find annoying include "Tylenol" pronounced as "Tydenol," "Regis Philbin" pronounced as "Regis Philbern," and "verbally" pronounced as "verbably."

2. Why do people mispronounce words?

There can be a variety of reasons for mispronunciations, including regional dialects, lack of exposure to the correct pronunciation, or simply not knowing the correct pronunciation.

3. How can I improve my pronunciation of words?

One way to improve pronunciation is to listen carefully to how native speakers say words and try to imitate them. You can also use online resources, such as pronunciation guides and videos, to help you practice.

4. Is it rude to correct someone's pronunciation?

It depends on the situation and the tone in which the correction is delivered. If done politely and respectfully, most people will appreciate being corrected so they can improve their pronunciation.

5. What is the best way to handle someone constantly mispronouncing words?

If the constant mispronunciation is causing a problem or annoyance, it is best to politely correct the person and offer to help them practice the correct pronunciation. If it is not causing any issues, it may be best to simply let it go and not bring attention to it.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
The_Kitchen_Guy
  • Intrepid_Chef
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Sheila
  • chefmeg
  • General Chat
2 3 4