• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Words People Mispronounce That Drive You Nuts...

In summary, my MIL calls "Tylenol" "Tydenol", my one friend always says "verbably" instead of "verbally", and my 2 year old can't say Pizza. I hear "pursy" - my husband swears there's no r in her word. He blushes every time she says "daddy eat pizza?" or "hot pizza daddy, hot!" When my nephew was that age, dump truck sounded like dumb f*ck! DH & I laughed every time we heard it. People who say "acrosst" when they mean across. Makes my skin crawl. My Grandfather used to say "I been knowing him for ___ years
Oh, oh, oh! I know what really drives me nuts! (because it just happened!)

When people pronounce letters that are supposed to be silent.

For instance - pronouncing the W in sword, or pronouncing the s on the end of Illinois.

Arrgghhhh!

Ah, Becky, you just reminded me of something I say which drives others crazy - because the 'correct' pronunciation does not sound right to me!

I say the 'l' in salmon (SAL-min). SAmin just seems so wrong. I don't know why, but it does.

Sarah - you drive me nuts! :D:love:

And, Sarah, it's pronounced sa-mon, not sa-min. LOL!

With the way us PA people talk it is all about the location. I think that is true no matter where you are.

I live in North Central PA and I don't say crick or warter or warsh or ruff. I think depending on where you live in PA depends on your accent. Southern PA residents talk different from Northern PA residents and Dutch Country folk talk different from everyone else.

My fiance's family is from Central PA and they talk so much slower than I do. My future brother-in-law stares at me, my fiance heard him say one night, "I just can't figure out what she is saying" he responded, it took me awhile too.

I would say in the region I live we all have a more common Southern New York accent.

Last edited:
mailgirl1978 said:
Well I live in the South and I hear a lot of:

win-der (window), warsh (wash) Kmarts (K-mart), Wal-marts (Wal-mart)....and worst for last.... Im fixin' to..... for I'm about to....
All together it would go a little something like this:

I'm fixin' to go down yonder to the Wal-marts so I get me something to warsh my winders with.

:D

My daughter's grandfather says Kmark and Walmark. Drives me nuts!

My future father in law says samdwich.

How about another PA phrase: The floor needs clean. Instead of: the floor needs to be cleaned or the floor needs cleaning.My BIL also says breffist instead of breakfast. Oh, and why do they call it a sweeper instead of a vacuum?

we red off the table..most people clean off the table..or they clear off the table

we also red up a room

My husband says bought for brought! Drives me nuts

I also hate when people say AXE for ask

Warsher, Idear! There are no R's in those words!!!!!!:mad:

youse guys

Oh and when people add s's to words that dont need them. It's not Walmarts or Kmarts or there is a city around here called Mechanicville and some people add an S and say Mechanicsville!

Last edited:
babywings76 said:
How about another PA phrase: The floor needs clean. Instead of: the floor needs to be cleaned or the floor needs cleaning.

My BIL also says breffist instead of breakfast.

Oh, and why do they call it a sweeper instead of a vacuum?

Because before vacuum cleaners, people used a little unit with wheels and brushes (you can still buy them for quick clean-ups) and they were called "sweepers." Old habits die hard and get passed down through the generations.

My grandmother always called Memorial Day "Decoration Day" because that's what it was called when it was the memorial for WWI, before it was extended to include WWII. To this day, I often think of it as "Decoration Day" without saying it.

I also still call that big building in Chicago the Sears Tower, even though that hasn't been the name for several years - along with millions of other people - and we will for a long time. (I don't even know, or care, what the real name is.)

And don't get me started on the paid naming rights for stadiums and football bowl games.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Because before vacuum cleaners, people used a little unit with wheels and brushes (you can still buy them for quick clean-ups) and they were called "sweepers." Old habits die hard and get passed down through the generations.

My grandmother always called Memorial Day "Decoration Day" because that's what it was called when it was the memorial for WWI, before it was extended to include WWII. To this day, I often think of it as "Decoration Day" without saying it.

I also still call that big building in Chicago the Sears Tower, even though that hasn't been the name for several years - along with millions of other people - and we will for a long time. (I don't even know, or care, what the real name is.)

And don't get me started on the paid naming rights for stadiums and football bowl games.

Wow - I didn't even know it wasn't the Sears Tower anymore!

But that reminds me - near us, there is a large "bowl" of land. For generations, it was called Charlie's Dump, named after the old man who lived in the shack on the property, and the informal dump he had created there. Well, several years ago, the township bought the land, cleaned it up and turned it into a park with a really great snowsliding hill, and soccer bowl. The official name for it now is The Soccer Bowl...but the only place it's ever called that is in official print by the Township. Everyone else, including young children who were born after the name change, still call it Charlie's Dump.:D If you tell someone you're going sliding at the Soccer Bowl, they say back to you "oh, you're going to Charlie's Dump?"

ChefBeckyD said:
Wow - I didn't even know it wasn't the Sears Tower anymore!
Actually, it changed just last year. We were in Chicago when it happened- right around NC time. We watched the ribbon-cutting on TV or something at his parents. My kids, who had never been to it before last year, picked up on the new name right away and now whenever my DH (who grew up around Chicago) or I say "Sears Tower", they correct us! :grumpy: It's STILL the Sears Tower, and Mr. Willis can just DEAL with it! (It's the Willis Tower now, for anyone who is wondering, and the part you go tour is called "The Skydeck")

My husband also says "window seal" instead of "sill" and it drives me CRAZY!

I have friends at church from PA and they say Walmark and Kmark and "cousint" for "cousin".

leftymac said:
And, He and I were CONVERSATING. Conversate is not a verb, people.

Hmm.

I conversate.
You conversate.
He, She, and It conversates.
We conversate.
You conversate.
They conversate.

Uh, maybe its a verb in French? :blushing:

Oh, let's just oui on it.

esavvymom said:
Actually, it changed just last year. We were in Chicago when it happened- right around NC time. We watched the ribbon-cutting on TV or something at his parents. My kids, who had never been to it before last year, picked up on the new name right away and now whenever my DH (who grew up around Chicago) or I say "Sears Tower", they correct us! :grumpy: It's STILL the Sears Tower, and Mr. Willis can just DEAL with it! (It's the Willis Tower now, for anyone who is wondering, and the part you go tour is called "The Skydeck")

Whachu talkin' 'bout, Willis?

gary-coleman-arnold.jpg

esavvymom said:

It's still found on the web as Sears Tower and the site I was at had Willis in parantheses.

I can't stand it when someone says "it's busted" meaning "it's broken". DH says that all the time.

Tell him the correct term is "busticated."
giggle.gif

Here's another example...the tallest building in Wisconsin is in Milwaukee,
near the lake front. It was built in the early 1970s by the largest bank in
the state, the First Wisconsin National Bank. It opened in 1973.

The building was called the First Wisconsin Center.

Years later, when banking laws changed and made it easier for banks to
cross state lines, the First Wis changed their name to Firstar Corporation
(which, ironically, they had to purchase from the rival Marine Bank, now
Chase) and they changed the name to the Firstar Building.

Of course, everyone called it the First Wisconsin Center.

Firstar swallowed up US Bancorp, and changed their name to US Bank, so
they changed the name of the building to the US Bank Center. To add insult
to injury, they put up huge signs on the top of the gorgeous white building,
blocking the signature open K bracing on the top floors. The signs were
green - it just looked...awful.

They changed the signs to white to be a little less obnoxious, but they still
cover the unique open -bracing but feature the red and black color scheme
of the US Bank logo.

Of course, everyone calls it the First Wisconsin Center.

Except some of us who call is the Useless Bank Center.

The office of the Commissioner of Baseball is located in the First
Wiscon...er...Firsta...er...Useless Ban...er...US Bank Center.

800px-Milwaukee_at_night.jpg

(More about whatever they're calling the building this week can be found on Nicolas Janberg's terriffic Structurae website.

I use to say Wind Sheild for Wind Chill when I was younger, but now I can say it correctly after watching the weather channel. :blushing:

My brother thought the thing you kill flies with was a flyce water. Then again, kidspeak doesn't bother me.

raebates said:
My brother thought the thing you kill flies with was a flyce water. Then again, kidspeak doesn't bother me.

Well now, that's another whole thread! :D In the mornings I take my youngest two out for a walk in the double stroller. The older one said to me the other day that he wanted to walk so he could get "Extra Size" (exercise) :D

My sister was notorius for getting song lyrics wrong and combining words. She's super musical and could sing entire songs by the time she was about 2. But she had words all silly. The Les Miserable song "Castle On A Cloud" was "Casselona Cloud" (as in that's the type of cloud it was) and in the Pocahontas song "how high can a sycamore grow" was "how high can you sick an old crow". Also, the old Doris Day movie "Send Me No Flowers" was "Senemeeno Flowers" (again, as in that was the TYPE of flower).

mrshamel3808 said:
My sister was notorius for getting song lyrics wrong and combining words. She's super musical and could sing entire songs by the time she was about 2. But she had words all silly. The Les Miserable song "Castle On A Cloud" was "Casselona Cloud" (as in that's the type of cloud it was) and in the Pocahontas song "how high can a sycamore grow" was "how high can you sick an old crow". Also, the old Doris Day movie "Send Me No Flowers" was "Senemeeno Flowers" (again, as in that was the TYPE of flower).

That is funny..I can't really talk..I sing what I think I am hearing..and I can't tell you how many times I say..OMG..that is not what I thought it was.

ChefBeckyD said:
Oh, oh, oh! I know what really drives me nuts! (because it just happened!)

When people pronounce letters that are supposed to be silent.

For instance - pronouncing the W in sword, or pronouncing the s on the end of Illinois.

Arrgghhhh!

Actually, it's proper to pronounce the "S" in Illinois when you're referring to drivers from there.

Why?

It's one driver from Illinois after another that makes us Ill & Annoys us.

(Oh, stop it, you Flatlanders, it's just a joke.)

babywings76 said:
Well now, that's another whole thread! :D In the mornings I take my youngest two out for a walk in the double stroller. The older one said to me the other day that he wanted to walk so he could get "Extra Size" (exercise) :D
Oh my! Did you explain to him that we walk to get rid of the extra size? :D That's hilarious!I love kidspeak. Mine makes up his own words, and they crack us up. Like, if something tickles him (like blowing a raspberry on his tummy or neck) he'll say "Mom, that made my neck frizzle".Some of his words have become family words. He couldn't say strawberries as a baby, and he called them "stubbies"...so we all still call them that.
For some reason, instead of root beer, he called it Wheat Beer...so we still do.And one of my best friends was his 2 yr old Sunday School teacher, and she had the class call her Miss Vicki. Micah started calling her Misser Vicki, and to this day, we all call her Misser Vicki. He adores her, so she loves the name.

raebates said:
Elise and Heidi, those messed-up lyrics are called mondegreens. I shared some of my personal favorites in this thread:

http://www.chefsuccess.com/f18/do-you-have-favorite-mondegreen-49604/?highlight=mondegreen

I have a whole book of mondegreens in my bathroom. Some are pretty outrageous. The difference with my sister and mondegreens is she was 2 so it wasn't like she was thinking it through and thought that's what it was and should be. But yes, mondegreens are HILARIOUS!

My favorite was "rocking the cash box"; "rocking the cat box"; "rocking the casaba"

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Tell him the correct term is "busticated."
giggle.gif

Here's another example...the tallest building in Wisconsin is in Milwaukee,
near the lake front. It was built in the early 1970s by the largest bank in
the state, the First Wisconsin National Bank. It opened in 1973.

The building was called the First Wisconsin Center.

Years later, when banking laws changed and made it easier for banks to
cross state lines, the First Wis changed their name to Firstar Corporation
(which, ironically, they had to purchase from the rival Marine Bank, now
Chase) and they changed the name to the Firstar Building.

Firstar swallowed up US Bancorp, and changed their name to US Bank, so
they changed the name of the building to the US Bank Center. To add insult
to injury, they put up huge signs on the top of the gorgeous white building,
blocking the signature open K bracing on the top floors. The signs were
green - it just looked...awful.

They changed the signs to white to be a little less obnoxious, but they still
cover the unique open -bracing but feature the red and black color scheme
of the US Bank logo.

Of course, everyone calls it the First Wisconsin Center.

Except some of us who call is the Useless Bank Center.

The office of the Commissioner of Baseball is located in the First
Wiscon...er...Firsta...er...Useless Ban...er...US Bank Center.

800px-Milwaukee_at_night.jpg

(More about whatever they're calling the building this week can be found on Nicolas Janberg's terriffic Structurae website.

Be aware...when you click on the link above, the site shows up in French. At the top of the page is an English flag. Click that to be able read the site.

It comes up in English for me, but that might be because I've been up there so often that I have the correct settings in my address book.

Structurae is an international website that lists thousands of engineering marvels around the world. Several of my photos have been listed on the site. The WITI broadcast tower (tallest free standing tower in the US and 6th tallest in the world) the Marsupial Bridge in Milwaukee that is part of the Holton Street Viaduct, the Wisconsin Avenue Viaduct in Milwaukee and one of my favorite bridges, the Mud Creek bridge in Tama, Iowa. It has the name "LINCOLN HIGHWAY" cast into the balustrades of the railings.

AHHH! How neat! KG, the shot of the Wisconsin Avenue Viaduct! If you enlarge the picture and look under it, you can see a street. That of course is Bluemound Avenue. Right behind the second support from the right, is a right hand turn onto 40th street. Go half way down the block and that is where I live!! The house you see the window of belongs to our neighbors Dana and Lisa. So cool! And you can see the stone wall lining the Menominee River.

Last edited:
Okay, now that we have directions . . .

Party at John's house!

YOU BET!!! I would love that!!

raebates said:
Okay, now that we have directions . . .

Party at John's house!

That's funny...b/c I was just going to ask "What's for dinner, John?!"

Comletely o/t, I love the quote in your signature, John.

Is it just me??? This is Chef Success a website for Pampered Chef consultants to gain knowledge from fellow consultants, right?
WHY is this a topic of discussion?
Who cares what is being misspoken!!!
Are YOU perfect?
PLEASE, can we get back to Pampered Chef work!!

Um...there are plenty of topics on here NOT related specifically to PC. There's nothing wrong with that...that's why it's in the "Chef's Lounge" which is for "anything not covered above". If you don't want to read non-PC business related threads, no one's forcing you. There are plenty of PC related threads, so if that's what you want, just stick to that.

And we know we're not perfect, if you had read this thread you'd see that alot of us include things WE mispronounce in our replies. This thread was for humor, not for criticism

From the CS Directory of sub-forums:

Chef's Lounge (16 Viewing)
Have fun- chilling with other Pampered Chef’s discussing anything not covered above

There are 25 other forums up here that are dedicated to business topics. We're hanging out here because, as difficult as it is to believe, there's more to life than the Pampered Chef.

(Yikes, wait'll she finds the Anyone else trying to conceive?, Bra measurments? or the For the moms out there threads!)

The_Kitchen_Guy said:

Have fun- chilling with other Pampered Chef’s discussing anything not covered above

There are 25 other forums up here that are dedicated to business topics. We're hanging out here because, as difficult as it is to believe, there's more to life than the Pampered Chef.

(Yikes, wait'll she finds the Anyone else trying to conceive?, Bra measurments? or the For the moms out there threads!)

There's more to life than Pampered Chef??? :eek:

angelajaqua said:
Is it just me??? This is Chef Success a website for Pampered Chef consultants to gain knowledge from fellow consultants, right?
Yes, dear. It is. We all like to blow off steam about other things in life- and have happened to form friendships with some folks on here..so we talk about other things.....moving on.....

Last edited:
The_Kitchen_Guy said:

Hopefully the sense of humor hat is on when she does!

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p125/dogpoundbrenda/SMILIES/coffeespew.gif

I hope so. I think the Bra Measurement thread is the breast one in the treasure chest of threads up here.Just before all this brewhaha began, I was about to complain about people who say "spittin' image" or "spitting image" instead of the correct cliche, "spit and image."It came from referring to offspring resembling the parent - "Fred, Jr. is the spit and image of Fred, Sr."It's one of the list of http://www.yourdictionary.com/library/mispron.html which you can see by clicking on the link.So, now that this thread has successfully been
threadjacked.gif
all to heck we might as well go see what other threads we can destroy today.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
I hope so. I think the Bra Measurement thread is the breast one in the treasure chest of threads up here.

Just before all this brewhaha began, I was about to complain about people who say "spittin' image" or "spitting image" instead of the correct cliche, "spit and image."

It came from referring to offspring resembling the parent - "Fred, Jr. is the spit and image of Fred, Sr."

It's one of the list of http://www.yourdictionary.com/library/mispron.html which you can see by clicking on the link.

So, now that this thread has successfully been
threadjacked.gif
all to heck we might as well go see what other threads we can destroy today.

Ahh, see - I never even knew that! I learned something new! Now, how to apply that to my business...

Hmmmmm...?

The 8" Executive Saute Pan

http://www.pamperedchef.com/images/product/resized/2863_product.jpg

is the spit and image of the 10" Executive Saute Pan.

2886_product.jpg

:chef:

Too funny, KG!

Just before all this brewhaha began, I was about to complain about people who say "spittin' image" or "spitting image" instead of the correct cliche, "spit and image."It came from referring to offspring resembling the parent - "Fred, Jr. is the spit and image of Fred, Sr."
I never knew that. Interesting. Now I've got to look through those 100 and see what other words and phrases I've been mispronouncing.

I've started to wonder, why we've all got the idea that our way is the correct way...just a thought.

<h2>1. What are some commonly mispronounced words that drive people nuts?</h2><p>Some commonly mispronounced words that people find annoying include "Tylenol" pronounced as "Tydenol," "Regis Philbin" pronounced as "Regis Philbern," and "verbally" pronounced as "verbably."</p><h2>2. Why do people mispronounce words?</h2><p>There can be a variety of reasons for mispronunciations, including regional dialects, lack of exposure to the correct pronunciation, or simply not knowing the correct pronunciation.</p><h2>3. How can I improve my pronunciation of words?</h2><p>One way to improve pronunciation is to listen carefully to how native speakers say words and try to imitate them. You can also use online resources, such as pronunciation guides and videos, to help you practice.</p><h2>4. Is it rude to correct someone's pronunciation?</h2><p>It depends on the situation and the tone in which the correction is delivered. If done politely and respectfully, most people will appreciate being corrected so they can improve their pronunciation.</p><h2>5. What is the best way to handle someone constantly mispronouncing words?</h2><p>If the constant mispronunciation is causing a problem or annoyance, it is best to politely correct the person and offer to help them practice the correct pronunciation. If it is not causing any issues, it may be best to simply let it go and not bring attention to it.</p>

1. What are some commonly mispronounced words that drive people nuts?

Some commonly mispronounced words that people find annoying include "Tylenol" pronounced as "Tydenol," "Regis Philbin" pronounced as "Regis Philbern," and "verbally" pronounced as "verbably."

2. Why do people mispronounce words?

There can be a variety of reasons for mispronunciations, including regional dialects, lack of exposure to the correct pronunciation, or simply not knowing the correct pronunciation.

3. How can I improve my pronunciation of words?

One way to improve pronunciation is to listen carefully to how native speakers say words and try to imitate them. You can also use online resources, such as pronunciation guides and videos, to help you practice.

4. Is it rude to correct someone's pronunciation?

It depends on the situation and the tone in which the correction is delivered. If done politely and respectfully, most people will appreciate being corrected so they can improve their pronunciation.

5. What is the best way to handle someone constantly mispronouncing words?

If the constant mispronunciation is causing a problem or annoyance, it is best to politely correct the person and offer to help them practice the correct pronunciation. If it is not causing any issues, it may be best to simply let it go and not bring attention to it.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
The_Kitchen_Guy
  • Intrepid_Chef
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Sheila
  • chefmeg
  • General Chat
2 3 4