1. Join Chef Success Today!
    Get support for your PC business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of support threads! Totally Free!
    Dismiss Notice

Pampered Chef: Words people mispronounce that drive you nuts...

1. AJPratt

AJPratt Legend Member Silver Member

For example, my MIL calls "Tylenol" "Tydenol". And "Regis Philbin" is "Regis Philbern". My one friend always says "verbably" instead of "verbally".

Apr 11, 2010
  2. Sheila

Sheila Legend Member Gold Member

LOL

puh-skety (spaghetti) - My 43 year old friend still says that.

My 2 year old can't say Pizza. I hear "pursy" - my husband swears there's no r in her word. He blushes every time she says "daddy eat pizza?" or "hot pizza daddy, hot!"

Apr 11, 2010
  3. AJPratt

AJPratt Legend Member Silver Member

:eek::eek::eek::eek: OMG THAT is so funny!

Apr 11, 2010
  4. ChefLoriG

ChefLoriG Advanced Member Gold Member

nuclear
    irregardless, when they should say regardless

Apr 11, 2010
  5. Jolie_Paradoxe

Jolie_Paradoxe Senior Member Gold Member

pacific for specific

6. wadesgirl

wadesgirl Legend Member Gold Member

When my nephew was that age, dump truck sounded like dumb f*ck! DH & I laughed every time we heard it.

Apr 11, 2010
  7. Sheila

Oh, yes ... irregardless. That one drives me batty too.

[​IMG]

Apr 11, 2010
  8. Jean DeVries

Jean DeVries Member Gold Member

People who say "acrosst" when they mean across.

Makes my skin crawl.

Apr 11, 2010
  9. Sheila

My Grandfather used to say "I been knowing him for ___ years" [​IMG]

Apr 11, 2010
  10. heat123

heat123 Legend Member Silver Member

My mom say's cupaccino and alheimers disease. lol

Apr 11, 2010
  11. smspamperedchef

smspamperedchef Veteran Member Silver Member

My DH is 1 of those 'acrost' people. GRRR! Plus he says 'crick' for creek. He's from PA and he says that's what they all say up North

Monica likes this.
  12. crystalscookingnow

crystalscookingnow Senior Member Gold Member

Pampered Chief
    Valentime's
    Shicken

13. leftymac

leftymac Veteran Member

Expresso instead of espresso.

Or, I'm going to AXE you a question.

Apr 11, 2010
  14. leftymac

leftymac Veteran Member

And, He and I were CONVERSATING. Conversate is not a verb, people.

Apr 11, 2010
  15. smspamperedchef

How about improper spellings of words! Texting makes kids not no how to spell! Like WAT for WHAT or WEN for WHEN, etc. That drives me insane!

16. crystalscookingnow

crystalscookingnow Senior Member Gold Member

oh yeah, my ex says ruint for ruined - drives me batty - but maybe just b/c he's my ex. lol

17. Melissa78

Melissa78 Veteran Member Gold Member

He is correct! They all say "crick" around here (in PA). Just like they say "ruff" for roof (make note i say it right b/c the others drive me batty).

As I put in a different post the other day, my BIGGEST peave is those that say AXE for ask. LIterally a lady at work said "Can I axe you a question?" and I said "No but you can ASK me a question." SHe didn't though b/c she got quite pissy.

the biggee's for me are:
    Punkin for pumpkin makes my blood pressure boil
    idear for idea (I'd never make it in Boston)
    Warter for water (again bostonians)
    disorientated...its disoriented

Then...
    dis for this
    dat for that
    dese for these
    buhuns for buttons

Apr 11, 2010
  18. mailgirl1978

mailgirl1978 Member

Well I live in the South and I hear a lot of:

win-der (window), warsh (wash) Kmarts (K-mart), Wal-marts (Wal-mart)....and worst for last.... Im fixin' to..... for I'm about to....
    All together it would go a little something like this:

I'm fixin' to go down yonder to the Wal-marts so I get me something to warsh my winders with.

:D

Apr 11, 2010
    Monica likes this.
  19. mailgirl1978

mailgirl1978 Member

OH...and ongins for onions......UGH!!!!!!!

Apr 11, 2010
  20. straitfan

straitfan Veteran Member Gold Member

My co-worker's favorite word is "asTinine"----- makes me crazy!!!!!

Apr 11, 2010
  21. leftymac

leftymac Veteran Member

Aight, I'm from the south and I say 'fixin'. :)

Apr 11, 2010
  22. mailgirl1978

mailgirl1978 Member

Keith! I didn't know you were from the South!!!! Well YEEE HHAAAAAWWWW....hahahaha

(I do OCCASIONALLY say fixin' to...but I usually catch myself.....ha. Someone from up North made fun of me a long time ago and I promptly quit saying it...ha)

Apr 11, 2010
  23. pampchefsarah

pampchefsarah Senior Member Gold Member

As I told my son today, my newest internet pet peeve is "I heart xxxx." I'm now used to seeing "I (picture of a heart) xxxx," though I'll never use it, but, come on, saying "I heart" instead of "I love" is not even a short-cut!! I understand why it's supposed to be cute, but it's not.

Oh, wait, that wasn't even what this thread is about, was it?

24. Nanisu

Nanisu Veteran Member Gold Member

nuclear

This is absoloutely my biggest pet peeve word wise. And it really peeved me when it was mispronounced by our presidents--Bush (the last one), and of all people Jimmy Carter who was ij the navy on a --you guessed it--NUCLEAR submarine. I hate it when people say NUCULER. Hooked on phonics works for me, LOL.

Apr 11, 2010
  25. millthayer

millthayer Member Gold Member

What really fries me is when people says jewLERY instead of jewELRY!!! Or how about PURT NEAR or TORLET, haha ha!!!:yuck:

Apr 11, 2010
  26. gaddischef

gaddischef Member Gold Member

rinsch -- rinse
    warsh - wash
    wrastle - wrestle

all mom's -- she probably has many more words that drive me crazy but these are the top three --

Apr 11, 2010
  27. Jinkies

Jinkies Member

A lot of what you guys have said bother me too! What has been making me insane though is the santoku knife. So many people say santuko and not san-toe-koo. Say it with me folks! SAN-TOE-KOO! Oh, and when people say odviously and not obviously. I've been watching a lot of Dr. Who and the accent that a lot of the people have makes me crazy! They'll say fing instead of thing and a lot of the words that have th are replaced with f. I've caught myself saying somefing a couple of times because of it!

Apr 11, 2010
  28. Sheila

When I worked at the police department, I had someone reporting a physical altercation. I asked if weapons were involved & she said no. Not 30 seconds later, she said "then I axed him ..." I couldn't help it. I cut her off & said "I thought you said there were no weapons involved? You had an axe?" LOL

On another occasion, I had a 911 caller reporting a fight in progress. I asked if it was a physical or verbal fight. She paused for a moment & then said "well, I guess you could calls it a formal fight!" Note to self: use smaller words ... "Ma'am are they hitting each other or are they yelling at each other?" .... ;)

I'm no where near an English major and I'm from the south, so I've been picked on for words like "fixin" (as in "I'm fixin to go ...") and "mashed" (as in Mashed Potatoes ... and I do say potatoes and not taters). But I'm often amazed at the words that I sometimes hear others say. I even cringe listening to Elmo (my 2 year old LOVES Elmo) ... some of the sentences that come out of his mouth are sooooo wrong. LOL

Apr 11, 2010
  29. pampchefsarah

pampchefsarah Senior Member Gold Member

Wait, what? Mashed Potatoes is not the proper name for this dish? Since when?

30. Pedey

Pedey Member

FebUary. I know it's acceptable to say it that way, but technically it is Feb-ROOOO-ary!

EXspecially. It's just especially.

I COULD care less. It's I couldN'T care less!

My dad & mom call that number game sa-DOOO-koh rather than sa-doh-koo. Make me itch! LOL

Apr 12, 2010
  31. mrshamel3808

mrshamel3808 Member Gold Member

Mispronounced words drive my mom, aunts, cousins, me and my sisters crazy. We think it's because my mom and aunts learned english as their 2nd language in school and so they learned everything by the book, not from their parents, so they didn't inheret the funny pronounciations or accents.

DH is another "acrosst" person. He also says "pin" and "pen" EXACTLY the same! His short "e" and "i" sounds are identical. He always gets mad when I ask him to clarify what he's asking for "Why would I be asking you for a pIn?!" He'll emphasize the "i" sound that time. He says it's because of his mom (she lived PART of her childhood in the south, I say it's just a lame excuse) He also says "chickmunk" instead of "chipmunk".

I know a lady that says muslim (muslin), deorderant (deodorant), Darth Fader (Darth Vader) and in thact (in fact). Her husband says all the sudden (all of a sudden) My sis-in-law sometimes says "strain" instead of drain but this one isn't consistent...almost MORE annoying. My dad is guilty of nuculer, but also says "vovol" instead of Volvo. My uncle says "pamplets" instead of "pamphlet". I had a band director in high school taht says woof (wolf) and expecially (especially). It was funny when she would introduce the classic piece "Peter and the Woof".

And I guess I'll tell on myself - my sister ALWAYS gets mad at me for saying "anyways" when it should be "anyway".

Apr 12, 2010
  32. pcsharon1

pcsharon1 Veteran Member Gold Member

Well, of course the things kids say shouldn't count when they are learning words and probably don't fit in this category anyway, because we love the way our three year old talks. He says "cookie monxster" which we find adorable and his favorite cartoon is Backyardigans which he calls Bardigans.

I'm the one that is guilty of saying things incorrectly. My husband is always telling people how I make up words. I say "slippy" - as in the roads are really slippy today. And I say (and this is his favorite) "funnily", as in "well, funnily enough it wasn't like that yesterday...etc, etc" I know there are others but I can't come up with them now.

And I am from the south AND from the mountains.............so imagine what I can come up with. My favorite that my dad says is "why don't you call your brother on his cellaphone and ask him what he wanted" Yep, that's right! Cellaphone. Needless to say my parents don't have cell phones..........heck, they don't even have internet. We just got city water last spring!

Apr 12, 2010
  33. Sheila

Actually, su & du rhyme in the Japanese language. It's soo-doh-koo ;)

Apr 12, 2010
  34. cookingwith_tara

cookingwith_tara Advanced Member

Vantastic instead of Fantastic
    ReLAtor instead of REALtor
    JewLERy instead of jewELry

I cringe silently everytime I hear them!!

35. BethCooks4U

BethCooks4U Legend Member Gold Member

Coming from WI and living the last 13 years in the south I hear difference in words all the time. I think they are fine and enjoy learning our differences - once I figure out what they're trying to say. WI people say lots of words wrong too so please don't think I'm bashing anyone - we're all different and learned from different people. What gets me is when kids shows use poor language - like the Elmo example above. Or worse when teachers TEACH language use wrong.

There are a lot of word pronounciations that drive me crazy too but right this moment I can't think of any.

I did want to comment on "mashed" though. I do hear that in NC. It's used in a sentence like "I mashed the car when I hit that tree."

Apr 12, 2010
  36. ChefBeckyD

ChefBeckyD Legend Member Gold Member

When I lived in SC, "mashed" apparently meant "to press", or the equivalent.
    I heard things like - "Mash the light on" or "He mashed his brakes".

Some of these things are cultural, or regional. There were many words/sayings/pronunciations in SC that I just could not understand. I managed a bookstore there, and sometimes when talking to a customer on the phone, I would have to hand the phone to an employee because I couldn't understand what the person on the other end was saying. :eek:

Apr 12, 2010
  37. pcchefjane

pcchefjane Senior Member Gold Member

You mean that isn't correct??

While we are complaining, people who say, "Would you like to go with?" or "Are you going with?" instead of saying "Would you like to go with me or him or whoever?" I don't understand it...

Apr 12, 2010
  38. smspamperedchef

well, I'm from the south and don't have a big "twang" or anything, but I do say "fixin to"

The Santoku knife can actually be pronounced both ways according to home office. I tell my guests at shows, :sing:to-ma-to, to-ma-to, po-ta-to, po-ta-to, let's call the whole thing off! :sing: it doesn't really matter. (Ok, those words look the same but don't know how to put the accents above the letters on here.) lol!

39. chefheidi2003

chefheidi2003 Senior Member Gold Member

aks instead of ask

had a battle with my boyfriend's mom..she just hosted a show for me..and for her host special she wants the

TRIFFLE bowl..I kept telling her TRIFLE..not sure if you can tell the difference from my typing..but I think you are all intelligent enough to understand the sound of the i if there are 1 or 2 Fs.

Futher instead of Further..there is a girl that I work with..and when she spells it she even puts Futher..and it drives me nuts..now she says that she does it just to drive me nuts..I say..hey..if you want to look stupid if they need that call for a court case you go right ahead.

40. ChefBeckyD

ChefBeckyD Legend Member Gold Member

Ahh, yes - there is another thread just about this. It's not Triffle OR Truffle! It's TRIFLE, people!

Apr 12, 2010
Have something to add?