• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Making Wonton Purses: Experiences with Raw Turkey Sausage?

, in summary, the recipe calls for ground turkey, not turkey sausage. They are yummy, and the recipe has a substitute for the dipping sauce. The meat will be fully cooked when steamed.
sandilou
Silver Member
Has anyone made the Wonton Purses? Are they ever cute! But I have a question. I forgot that I had the turkey sausage in the fridge for that recipe and used it for something else. I wanted to try the recipe b/f a party Friday and decided to use deli turkey instead just to get how the recipe went, which turned out OK. My question is, has anyone made them using the raw turkey sausage? I'm a little nervous about that meat cooking enough. I know the recipe says to check the temp, but I just wanted to see if anyone had any experience with them.

TIA,
Sandi

I'm pretty sure the recipe calls for ground turkey, not turkey sausage. :) It's in a package like ground beef. I usually buy Foster Farms brand.
I made them a few weeks ago & they are soo yummy! They fully cook when you steam them, so don't worry about the raw turkey. And use your digital thermometer to check one of them ... tonight I made a version that was really good - chicken (cooked - I cooked some tenders in the DCB with asian seasoning), spinach, carrots, garlic & broccoli ... YUMMO! I made the dipping sauce too - LOVE IT!!

I made these for 7 shows in December and they were a HUGE hit!

Yes, it's ground turkey - not turkey sausage that the recipe calls for. I never had any problem with the meat not being fully cooked. The only problem I had was making them quick enough because everyone was scarfing them down! This is a great recipe to get everyone involved in the process. They don't mind helping make them, because the faster they make them, the faster they can eat them!

I don't bother with the sauce recipe that comes with them though. I use the Ginger Wasabi Sauce and Thai Peanut Sauce as dipping sauces for them - sold a TON of those too!:thumbup:

These are yummy!! Check the internal temp of the meat with the thermometer; that's what it's for. And I agree with Becky, just use the 2 dipping sauces instead of making the one that's with the recipe. They look great on a bamboo platter with sauce in 2 of the bamboo snack bowls - so professional!

chefann said:
These are yummy!! Check the internal temp of the meat with the thermometer; that's what it's for. And I agree with Becky, just use the 2 dipping sauces instead of making the one that's with the recipe. They look great on a bamboo platter with sauce in 2 of the bamboo snack bowls - so professional!

LOL - I just posted this same exact thing (almost) on a thread for Linda about using the sauces! :D

OHMYGOSH! I never even though of using our sauces! GREAT IDEA! I'm so bummed I didn't discover this recipe b/f Christmas. Its fabulous. So happy to hear the meat will be OK. Thanks, everyone!

Sandi

1. How do I properly handle raw turkey sausage when making wonton purses?

When working with raw turkey sausage, it is important to follow proper food safety guidelines. Make sure to wash your hands before and after handling the sausage, and keep it refrigerated until ready to use. Use separate cutting boards and utensils for the raw sausage and other ingredients to avoid cross-contamination.

2. Can I substitute the raw turkey sausage with a different type of protein?

Yes, you can use any type of protein you prefer in your wonton purses. Some popular options include ground pork, chicken, or even tofu for a vegetarian option.

3. How do I prevent the wonton wrappers from sticking together?

To prevent the wonton wrappers from sticking together, make sure to keep them covered with a damp paper towel while assembling the purses. This will help keep them moist and prevent them from drying out and sticking together.

4. Can I freeze the wonton purses before cooking?

Yes, you can freeze the wonton purses before cooking. Place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and freeze until solid. Once frozen, transfer them to a freezer-safe container. They can be stored in the freezer for up to 1 month. When ready to cook, thaw them in the refrigerator before baking according to the recipe instructions.

5. How do I know when the wonton purses are fully cooked?

The wonton purses are fully cooked when they are golden brown and crispy on the outside. You can also check the internal temperature with a meat thermometer – it should read 165°F for poultry-based fillings. If the purses are not yet fully cooked, you can continue baking for a few more minutes until they reach the desired doneness.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
SueAdx
  • kam
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
babywings76
Replies
Views
blueberrylady