• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Why Pampered Chef Is so Much Better Than Mk

I don't remember how many levels...but if you don't reach a certain level in sales you have to pay back all the money you've made...and then some!I think Pampered Chef is great too! I've only been with them a few months but so far it's been pretty easy. You just have to be patient and have a lot of inventory. And I think their products are really cute!
jenniferlynne
Ok, if you are thinking of becoming a Pampered Chef consultant, but just can't make up your mind, read this!!!

I used to be a Mary Kay consultant. Actually, I still am, but I don't sell it, I just order for myself and 2 family members about every 6 months.
First of all, Mary Kay pushes you to keep inventory. You can't submit individual orders. Minimum order is $400 retail. So, you have to spend thousands of dollars "guessing" what you think your customers will buy and keep it in stock. Then, they like to up and discontinue things or change the shape of the compacts, so the eyeshadows and blushes you have in stock no longer fit the new compacts. So, who is stuck with the discontinued stuff? YOU ARE!!! :mad:
Pampered Chef is the one that takes care of the discontinued items that are left in supply. Not us!! :)

Here is another. Mary Kay gets a lot of consultants to sign up, because they tell you that you will make 50% off of what you sell. Buy a cleanser for $5 and sell it for $10. People sign up like crazy when they hear this. What they don't tell you is, YOU are the one that pays for what a host earns at her party and YOU are the one that pays for all the shipping. So, you don't really make 50% profit. What if a customer wants to pay with a credit card since you already have the product in stock? That's easy. They give you a special ID# and and 800# where you can call it in. Then they will cut you a check. What they don't tell you is, every time you do that, they take a percentage of that money for a fee. So why would you want anyone to spend a lot and pay by credit card?
With Pampered Chef, their is no inventory. Customers pay for shipping. PC pays for what the host earns, and you don't get penalized because someone wants to use a credit card!

Here's another. MK consultants don't want more than 6 guests at a show!! The company tells you that it's too hard to pay individual attention to all the guests if there are too many. The whole time I was an MK consultant, I had 1 $500 show and my average show was about $200. As a PC consultant, my average show is $500!!

Ok, just one more. When MK comes out with new products they will sometimes let you earn a few of them free. PC always lets you ears ALL of them for free. Here is just a comparison of each of their latest incentives:

Mary Kay-Order $7,200 retail (now this is all at once and not over a period of time), receive $126 in retail products free. :eek:

Pampered Chef December incentive-Sell $5000 retail over the course of one month and receive products valued at MORE than $350 in retail products PLUS 2,500 points towards the new Incentive Program.

If any of you know people that may be thinking of joining MK, stop them and tell them about PC instead. I don't remember the exact details, but it also seems like you have to have some unbelievable number of recruits to become a director too. Like 15-20 or something. I don't remember for sure.

Pampered Chef is the Best!!!! :D

That's a good comparison! I've heard waaayyyy too many negative things about Mary Kay and I would never be doing anything other than PC anyway but I really hope people who are considering MK really do their research and do internet searches for honest opinions about MK. There are some sites dedicated to people who've been through some terrible experiences with that company so they can try to spread some honest and accurate information.

It's nice to hear a direct comparison from someone who has experienced both PC and MK. I'm so happy you found the right one!! :)

PC vs. Mary KayI agree with you! I signed up with Mary Kay so I could get my items at a discount too. Plus there were 2 or 3 ladies at my husbands work who order every couple of months. But like you said you have to have a huge order before you can place it not to mention you have to have at least $200 retail before the half-price kicks in.

I LOVE Pampered Chef too! I sold Tupperware for a couple of months and they are even crazier than Mary Kay! Their products change every couple of months....and something you ordered last year is already in their obsolete pile...so if a customer needed a replacement its not available!!! How dumb is that!? Plus they have hiked their prices up so high its rediculous! I've been trying to persuade Tupperware consultants to switch to PC - not necessarily under me but just to switch. There 3 month starter bonuses you have to pay $25 each month for! Where PC you get yours FREE! Anyway...don't get me started down that path! I could go on forever!

April

So glad to hear that I am not the only one who thinks that PC is just a much better run business! I sold Tupperware for a few years and just never could make much out of it. I ended up spending my own money to stay active. So not worth it. Although I do like some of their products, there are only so manyh colors you need the same bowl in. I have a garage full of obsolete items from them. I was spending all of my money on PC stuff anyway so my PC lady (now my director) convinced me that I should be selling. Since I joined I have not had any problems selling enough to stay active...in fact, I have made a PROFIT!!!! I love Pampered Chef!

been there, done that!I, too, used to be a Mary Kay consultant. I usually had 2 or 3 customers per show, and my show totals were always very low. The last straw for me was when I had a show with three ladies who paid absolutely no attention to me, pretty much ignored me the whole time, and the host brought her baby in and started breast feeding, uncovered, right in the middle of the party. (I have no problem with breast feeding your kids, but for heavens sake, cover up!) Anyway, I ended up selling all my inventory, hundreds of dollars worth, for pennies at a yard sale. I sold my display kits at another yard sale. At least with PC, if I ever quit, I'll have a fully stocked kitchen, full of tools that I love and use daily. Pampered Chef showers their consultants with incentives and free product constantly. As I've heard one consultant say, we are grossly overpaid for what we do! In addition, I had NO support as a Mary Kay consultant, not at all. But with PC, I have support from Home Office, my cluster, my director, Consultant's Corner, this website, and more.

So, there it is: incentives, free product, no inventory, great pay, and more support than you could ever use. Seems like a no brainer for me!

I too, use to do MkI started MK before I knew PC existed. I started because I need to make money, but boy Iwas wrong. I did it for 2 years and NEVER made a penny out of it. And got in dets because you need it inventory. I'm still paying for it today. Don't get me wrong I LOVE MK product it's all I use but for the business you need to sell a lot to make money. What I love about PC is that you don't have to have inventory!!! That is the greatess think NO INVENTORY can I say it more???? :p

I would love to also hear about other companies so I can use that as a recruiting tool. Anyone ever sell Party Lite, Home Interior or Southern Living? I only know one small thing about Party Lite and just heard about it the other day from the friend of a former consultant. The company forgot to include an item in an order and the consultant couldn't get them to do anything about it. The customer threatened to sue the consultant over it. I think she finally got it resolved but said she would never sell it again. And no, she's not interested in selling PC either. I knew someone would say that if I didn't! :D

Pc Vs PlI sell Pampered Chef and Partylite. Only reason why I joined PL was for the free stuff.
Partylite- need $500.00 in sales/mth to stay active
PC- need $200.00 every two/mths to stay active
PL-make 25% profit of sales/ additional 7% if over 1800.00 per month.
PC-make 20% profit/22% if over $750.00
PL-Consultant incentives-January was a tote bag/10 pens /coffee mug/sticky notes for selling over $900.00-
PC-Consultant Incentives- NEED I SAY MORE!
PL-TRIP DEAL-GET TWO MONTHS BASICALLLY TO EARN
PC- TRIPS-GET ALL YEAR TO EARN
PL- Takes forever for orders to ship
PC-In one day to ship
PL-hostess program- 15% of sales/no booking or 25% sales with one booking of free product, half price items, hostess specials but have to be over $250.00 in sales
PC- NEED I SAY MORE

Ok enough said. I like both but PC does treat their consultants better I think.

Party LiteI don't know about the consultant side of it but I recently purchased about $100 of Party Lite items for Christams gifts (placed order Dec 3rd). I was assured that I would receive everything in time to give as gifts. I didn't. What a surprise. That wasn't the worst though as I suspected it wouldn't arrive in time. I ordered a special - 18 tea lights for ordering $40 or more for $6.95. It appears that they were sold out of the special so they sent me a gift certificate for $6.95. To say the least, I was extremely ticked. They never asked if I wanted my money returned or anything. I was not given any kind of choice. I called the consultant to complain and she said she'd send me a set that she had extra. It took her almost 30 days to get them to me! I sincerely hope that her other customers aren't treated the same way or she won't be long in business! Just in case you wonder why I was so upset about getting the gift certificate... There is nothing inexpensive in their entire catalog. On top of that, I would have had to pay shipping again. Sorry for going on but it's still fresh.

Last edited by a moderator:
KirstenAnne,

I have been wanting to ask a PL consultant this question, but I only know one and she's the one that I think took advantage of me.

I hosted a party about 2 years ago. She told me if I had 3 bookings I would get like an additional $75 free, but not until after those 3 parties held. Well, I had 3 bookings and all three held. Then she turns around and says that one didn't qualify (she never said a word about this at my party, just that I had to have 3) so I was only eligible for $50 free. I had actually booked a second one and was going to choose the free $50 then. She told me no, that she couldn't order it and that I would get a voucher from the company. I was to fill it out with what I wanted and mail it back in and they would send me my stuff. Well, years ago I had 3 or 4 parties and never had anything like that happen. Well, needless to say, I never received a thing from the company, and when that second order did come in, there was $50 worth of extra products that no one had ordered. I'm assuming she picked out my free products for me.

What do you think happened? I had no troubles with her on my first party, but the 3 people that booked off me did and then I had that trouble with her on my second party.

southern LivingAnyone know about Southern Living at Home benefits. I know someone who loves both companies and would love to do some comparisons. SL is VERY hot right now in NC..Thanks...BEE

Talk about cocky!!!One of my moms neighbors is a MK director and when i told her that i was going to sell PC she tried her hardest to get me to sell MK instead.

She said that MK was the best because... PC products are built to last and that you only have so many things you can sell to someone.

She went on and on about how her customers ALWAYS come back because they wash her products down the drain every night.

I said well for 1. I am not going to sell something that I am allergic to myself and for 2 I am not snotty enough to be a MK sales lady!!!

* In NO WAY saying all MK reps are snotty* but this one is!!!!!

just my story lol :D

You're Funny
PCTinIndy said:
One of my moms neighbors is a MK director and when i told her that i was going to sell PC she tried her hardest to get me to sell MK instead.

She said that MK was the best because... PC products are built to last and that you only have so many things you can sell to someone.

She went on and on about how her customers ALWAYS come back because they wash her products down the drain every night.

I said well for 1. I am not going to sell something that I am allergic to myself and for 2 I am not snotty enough to be a MK sales lady!!!

Yeah, the woman who is my MK director is very snooty. I haven't been to the meetings in about 6 years, but she was always full of herself and still is from what I read in her mailings and emails. She was going on one day about how her family was looking to sell their house because 10,000 square feet was just too big for her and her daughter now that her husband was working out of town through the week and her son was off to college (I guess it was fine when it was the 4 of them). She also went on to say there was not another house around like it with that amount of land too. She said her husband had just bought a private plane and they were thinking of getting a place with a landing strip and a horse ranch for their daughter. AND they might also buy an apartment somewhere in a large city. She said her husband could just be her personal pilot and fly her in and out each week for the meetings. I was about to gag by the time I got done reading it.

PLUS, she sent this email out just weeks after Hurricane Katrina hit. She should have been offering to open up her genormous house to some of the thousands of homeless. You know, since it was way to big for just the two of them!!!! :mad:

Amen SisterWell Ladeeda... I mean I am glad that it is working for her but da*n did she have to brag about something like that :eek: WOW the nerve!!!

Need specificsI by no means want to "bash" another company when I'm trying to recruit, but it is nice to know the pluses & minuses of other businesses. Having said that, I'm a little curious about the whole PartyLite thing. A friend of mine signed up with PL around the same time I signed with PC (November). She loves to play the "gotcha beat" game, and has made PL sound like I'm crazy for doing PC instead. I guess this is why she's doing a great job at recruiting. What are the requirements when you sign with PL (or any other company)? How many shows to qualify, how long do you have to qualify, etc.? All I know is that the kit is free, and I've personally lost one of my potential recruits to PL because theirs is free and ours is $90 ($70/$50 w/credit). I'm just curious...

ringocat22 said:
The last straw for me was when I had a show with three ladies who paid absolutely no attention to me, pretty much ignored me the whole time,

That was very rude, I'm sorry you had that experience and hopefully it won't happen again.

and the host brought her baby in and started breast feeding, uncovered, right in the middle of the party. (I have no problem with breast feeding your kids, but for heavens sake, cover up!)

Your reaction to this was far more offensive and unprofessional. I seriously hope this is not an attitude or story you choose to share with others. If you want clarification on this I would be glad to chat with you, feel free to private message me.

I wanted to share my reaction here in hopes that others can avoid offending future customers, hosts and recruits- regardless of whether they agree. I try to always see myself as a guest in my hosts homes, yes I have a job to do, but I am a guest.

Sarah

Too true
PCTinIndy said:
One of my moms neighbors is a MK director and when i told her that i was going to sell PC she tried her hardest to get me to sell MK instead.

The Mary Kay lady I signed up under actually hosted a PC show for me. She made it sound so great that you make 50% profit..yada yada yada
Well when I did sign up so I could at least get my stuff for half off they basically said "go broke" so you can get your inventory. We just got our credit cleaned up and I told her I didn't have $400-$3,700 laying around..they were quick to say "go get a loan, credit card etc." I just think thats rediculous. You should just be able to order for customers no matter how much the order is. And all those Pink Cadillac drivers only have those because of all the ladies they duped into buying tons of inventory!

April

Southern Living at Homes start up kit is $199. You get alot of stuff but it is all stuff to just sit around your house - you know "pretty stuff". PC is useful and pretty!!! I know that they get 25% of what they sell and they do not have to keep inventory. They win trips. I don't know about products incentives and bonuses like we get. I have a friend on another message board in Florida that sells it. She used to sell PC and she says they are a good company, much like PC. I believe her. The one draw-back she says, is their stuff is expensive...very. Do a search and look them up on the web...and browse the products. Just a simple vase is $40 and up. Dishes are $30 apiece! That adds up! I clicked on host specials and they are nothing to brag about. But still - good reputable company and beautiful stuff and very popular, if you can afford it.
As for MK - I know so many girls that used to sell it and hated the inventory. My niece sells Avon - likes it ok, making a little money, but has to buy catalogs every two weeks - deliver them - then when orders come in - deliever the orders! I'm tryin to talk her into PC.

I almost signed up for MK after my sisters show. they wanted $100 to start up and then buy inventory. i didnt have that kind of money so i just said never mind. the girl called me every day begging me to sign. that really turned me off. as for avon, i dont have time to go around giving out catalogs, and then delivering orders. i have 2 friends that sell it and i have seen them going out until 10 at night delivering. no thanks!!! what i love about PC is i do a show, go home, send the show, and then make sure everyone is happy!! no worries, no deliveries!! I have thought about doing a second direct sales company to go with PC but to be honest i cant find one that has the same perks as PC so i probably will just stick with this one!

jenniferlynne said:
KirstenAnne,

I have been wanting to ask a PL consultant this question, but I only know one and she's the one that I think took advantage of me.

I hosted a party about 2 years ago. She told me if I had 3 bookings I would get like an additional $75 free, but not until after those 3 parties held. Well, I had 3 bookings and all three held. Then she turns around and says that one didn't qualify (she never said a word about this at my party, just that I had to have 3) so I was only eligible for $50 free. I had actually booked a second one and was going to choose the free $50 then. She told me no, that she couldn't order it and that I would get a voucher from the company. I was to fill it out with what I wanted and mail it back in and they would send me my stuff. Well, years ago I had 3 or 4 parties and never had anything like that happen. Well, needless to say, I never received a thing from the company, and when that second order did come in, there was $50 worth of extra products that no one had ordered. I'm assuming she picked out my free products for me.

What do you think happened? I had no troubles with her on my first party, but the 3 people that booked off me did and then I had that trouble with her on my second party.

Booking gifts are just that. They have to be held and closed and held within a certain amount of time. That's why if I do a show, I really do not go over the booking gifts unless they qualify. And if my host doesn't get a booking, I normally step up and give her the booking from me. She was wrong on the three bookings @ $75.00. That is for four bookings. You can get a gift worth $50.00 or get retail credit for product of your choice. Once the three shows are held, a form is sent in and you get your booking gift or a PL certificate for the product of your choice. It's too bad you had that experience. I really do not do a lot of partylite shows, I have more of a repeat customer base who just order from me. I usually give them a discount. Sorry Once again you had that experience.

ErinPC said:
I by no means want to "bash" another company when I'm trying to recruit, but it is nice to know the pluses & minuses of other businesses. Having said that, I'm a little curious about the whole PartyLite thing. A friend of mine signed up with PL around the same time I signed with PC (November). She loves to play the "gotcha beat" game, and has made PL sound like I'm crazy for doing PC instead. I guess this is why she's doing a great job at recruiting. What are the requirements when you sign with PL (or any other company)? How many shows to qualify, how long do you have to qualify, etc.? All I know is that the kit is free, and I've personally lost one of my potential recruits to PL because theirs is free and ours is $90 ($70/$50 w/credit). I'm just curious...
Kits is free if your starter show is over $350.00 otherwise you do pay for some of it. Have to hold 6 shows in two weeks and actually not sure if it is $1800 or $1200 to qualify- Don't really go after recruiting anyone, so i don't have it memorized. Stay with PC. Any inventory you need for shows for new items you get at 50% off but can you afford to buy all the stuff. NO. I know I can't. I get lucky because I have a really good customer who orders about $1000 worth of stuff for his clients and then I get my stuff for free.

KirstenAnne
Maybe I was wrong. Maybe it was 4 shows. That must be why I had booked another one, because I needed a 4th. I do remember that 3 other people had booked from me too.
But shouldn't I have been able to have picked out my $50 myself? I just thought it was weird that she said she couldn't send that in herself, but yet, when the order came in there was $50 worth of extra products. The only reason I didn't throw a fit was because I really did like the tealight holders (it was the set of three Fall leaves), but the tealights that came with them I wasn't real crazy about.
I do love their candles and I am getting very low. You wouldn't want to send me a catalog would you? I know a couple other people that might want some too. I don't think I would get enough orders for a qualified show, but maybe you can add it onto someone elses. I don't want to push candles when I am trying to sell PC!
[email protected]

showmehow2 said:
I don't know about the consultant side of it but I recently purchased about $100 of Party Lite items for Christams gifts (placed order Dec 3rd). I was assured that I would receive everything in time to give as gifts. I didn't. What a surprise. That wasn't the worst though as I suspected it wouldn't arrive in time. I ordered a special - 18 tea lights for ordering $40 or more for $6.95. It appears that they were sold out of the special so they sent me a gift certificate for $6.95. To say the least, I was extremely ticked. They never asked if I wanted my money returned or anything. I was not given any kind of choice. I called the consultant to complain and she said she'd send me a set that she had extra. It took her almost 30 days to get them to me! I sincerely hope that her other customers aren't treated the same way or she won't be long in business! Just in case you wonder why I was so upset about getting the gift certificate... There is nothing inexpensive in their entire catalog. On top of that, I would have had to pay shipping again. Sorry for going on but it's still fresh.

Once again I am sorry you also had a bad experience with PL. PL has a hotline that they update when things go on backorder. Those went on backorder early due to the tremendous response of the sale. She should have asked you if you wanted your money back right away, or offered you something in return. Probably took her thirty days because she had to scramble to get the special herself or put one together? Yes I know there is nothing cheap in the catalog, but the products are worth it. I would have offered to buy back the GC from you and also given you something a little extra for the trouble.

My next door neighbor sells MKI love MK's products and I just hosted a MK show for her a couple weeks ago. I wasn't impressed with how she host coached. I got one email from her to get the list of people to invite and that was it. Nothing on what my goals were and she didn't explain the benefits to me. It always seems she never has all her inventory either. There is always something missing from my order and I have to wait even longer. What bugged me the most about her was several months ago we were talking and she told me that the MK business was so much easier than PC, since MK customers have to replenish there stock. I had to tell her that PC is for everyone, every need and every budget. PC is for those who are starting out on their own like newleyweds, and college graduates and people are always looking to replace items they have had for years. Plus, we always have the newest and latest product available and we have our GREAT gift registry. It really ticked me when she said that.

You go girl!!!

Stop while we are aheadOk I will agree that all direct selling companies have their good and bad points. They are all great to the consultant who reps for them. I for one have jumped on this bandwagon and I must apologize for getting sucked in and saying my one cent worth. I work in customer service and I know that if the customer isn't treated with respect and taken care of (pampered LOL so to speak), there will be no repeat business. It's unfortunate that some people do not either have the training nor understanding of how this works. I have learned a lesson here and that I need to see the other side of the street before making judgement on others and try to make sure I represent both companies in the manner of which I would if it were my own name out there on the LOGO!

Take Care all and good luck with your business

Grist for the mill....Thank you, each of you, for contributing to this information. No matter where we have been before PC or even now with PC, it is always better to have a little knowledge about things that often come up in conversations with customers, competitors, friends and family. I don't believe there was any thing shared here that was not valueable on several levels, and I hope no one goes away hurt because I found the information to be very useful. Not as a club to use on my next MK, PL, or SL selling friend... but as a tool to develop the words I will use to promote Pampered Chef to them.
It's important that whatever we do in life makes us happy, and if they are happy with what they are doing, I am happy for them. But along life's road circumstances change. Having some knowledge will allow me to express genuine interest when that time comes, and knowing how our benefits match may help me gently recruit a friend rather than offend a competitor. :)
Whatever you do, do it well... and be open to anything that expands your knowledge about how to reach and help others. Thanks again!

Karo said:
Thank you, each of you, for contributing to this information. No matter where we have been before PC or even now with PC, it is always better to have a little knowledge about things that often come up in conversations with customers, competitors, friends and family. I don't believe there was any thing shared here that was not valueable on several levels, and I hope no one goes away hurt because I found the information to be very useful. Not as a club to use on my next MK, PL, or SL selling friend... but as a tool to develop the words I will use to promote Pampered Chef to them.
It's important that whatever we do in life makes us happy, and if they are happy with what they are doing, I am happy for them. But along life's road circumstances change. Having some knowledge will allow me to express genuine interest when that time comes, and knowing how our benefits match may help me gently recruit a friend rather than offend a competitor. :)
Whatever you do, do it well... and be open to anything that expands your knowledge about how to reach and help others. Thanks again!

I'm glad it helped you. I learned a lot myself. I for one love PL candles, but haven't had much luck with their reps. One was just a very young girl that was trying to raise a kid on her own by working a full time job and selling candles. I think she just had too much going on and was a little forgetful. Not sure what to say about the other one, so I wont.

Don't know much about Southern Living. Have looked at their catalog before but decided it was just a little too pricey for me. I wanted about everything in the catalog, just couldn't afford it.

Of course if I didn't love Mary Kay products I wouldn't still be a consultant so that I could get it at cost. Just never made a dime off it in 8 years and I don't think the consultants are treated as nicely by the company as PC consultants are. When I first started MK, I always wondered why anyone would want to do anything else! Now I know it's because you really only make money by recruiting tons of people. And now that I have had a taste of Pampered Chef's customer service, I will never go anywhere else!

My main purpose for starting this thread was to help the people who were considering signing up for PC. It seems like once a week we get a new person who is asking lots of questions. I thought if they could compare two companies that might help. I really enjoyed each story and I feel like it has given me more courage to talk to other people about the opportunity now. I used to feel like I was being pushy, but now I feel like I have a much better understanding about PC compared to other companies. I want all my friends and family to be able to have this wonderful opportunity too!!!

I totally agree with you Karo!! Each and every one of us has a different experience with PC, whether it's the reasons behind us becoming consultants or the ways in which we run our businesses. When I know a potential consultant is considering PC in addition to one or two other businesses, it is good to know some specifics of the other business. I once had a potential consultant considering PC and Partylite. Although I researched PL so I knew a little bit about what PC was being compared to, I never specifically compared the two for her. I was able to offer up some suggestions on certain things to compare between the two companies. I would preface it by saying something like "I know I asked a million questions before I decided to join PC, so here are some things to be sure to specifically look into for each company...how much is the start up kit, what all do you receive in it, are any necessary computer programs included or do you have to pay for them separately, is there a timeline when you have to complete your first shows by, are there any minimums or quotas that must be met, do you have to pay fees to credit card companies, what are some examples of incentives they offer, obviously what is there commission structure and room for advancement, etc..."

Obviously my specific examples are geared toward her finding out that PC almost always has any other direct sales company beat. This was about two years ago and unfortunately she went with PL, but all this talk makes me want to reconnect with her to see how it's going! She was a guest at an out of state show, so I never saw her after that.

I think having this information about other companies is good, but don't use it in a way like "nah nah nah nah nah nah, my company is SOOOO much better than that!" It does help us tip the scales in our favor though.
:D

What about AtHome America? Does anybody know any reps and how the company treats their reps?

Thanks in advance!

gotta be worth the moneyI'm a brand new consultant and I chose PC very deliberately. I have two friends who are PartyLite consultants and a third who is about to become a consultant. I've been to a few shows and I admit their products are pretty...I just feel like they're way too expensive. I hosted a show in November (off of a show a friend had - no one else was booking and she loves PL and I wanted to help her out). The hostess special was a hurricane that retailed for $70 (I got it for $20). It is pretty and I love it, but under no circumstances could I have justified buying it for full retail! It would NOT be on my mantle if it hadn't been the special. At the last show I went to I was really not in the market for much, but wanted to buy something small. The absolute CHEAPEST thing in the catalog is a set of 12 tealights. After tax and shipping, my total was $10.82. :eek:
My point is that we, as PC consultants, have a lot of products to offer at very reasonable prices. You can get a lot of stuff for $70 - or for just $20! I am a kitchen gadget junkie and drool everytime I walk past Williams-Sonoma in the mall. I get their catalog at home and they have several of the same items we carry (Microplane graters, citrus presses, etc). Item for item, we are cheaper. That's a big selling point!

a funny thing happened....to me the other day.

I was being shown a set of three (PL) tealight holders by an aquaintance, they were still in the box and when she was pulling them out (to try to get me to order some) she mentioned that 2 of them were broken and she never got to use them. I asked what kind of guarantee PL has against new products being broken and she looked at me like I was about to murder her! She said "Well, none, they are glass, PL would lose a lot of money if they just replaced things that were broken"!

That was enough for me...not to buy!

At Home America? I had a party in Sept, It was awful. One item was on backorder, so the entire party was on backorder!! All of us had to wait til Dec!!! to get our stuff. I will never have another At Home America party because we had to wait 3 months to recieve the merchandise.

The consultant loves the company though. Even though everything was on backorder she got her commission on time.

Shannon

Sounds like none of them are a piece of cake!Hi Everyone,

It sounds to me like none of the party programs are very easy to do. I guess I'm not a sucker because I never expected them to be, including PC. I chose PC because I love the products. I wouldn't be able to sell anything I don't truly believe to be the best.

You have to do a lot of work in order to be successful in any business. I've not made a profit from PC yet (after 1 1/2 years) in my bank account, but I do have a lot of products I love in my kitchen now. To me that makes it well worth it! I have chosen to spend money on products, if I didn't I would have some money in my bank account, and I've only averaged 2.5 shows/month. I work a full time day job so I don't have a lot of hours to spend on PC. I do find the more I put in it the more I get out of it. I do spend a lot of time reading and listening to training tapes (this is easy to do while in the car or at my kids sporting events). The knowledge I have gained is really starting to help. My schedule is getting more steady and the work seems easier. I just had a great class on recruiting yesterday, and I am much more prepared to recruit now. Prior to this class I couldn't really sell this business as easy or being able to make $20-$30 an hour like some people have because that has not been my experience.

This business has been a blessing in my life though. After losing a job due to reductions in staff after 15 years at a company I know I will never be let go from PC unless it is of my choosing. I do plan on moving ahead in this business. I hope to become a Director w/in the next year. It was always my plan from the beginning to move slow and enjoy the ride. That's what is great about this business it fits for so many people and life styles. You can move slow or fast depending on your life. How many jobs can you say that about! I could never have gotten a part time job outside the home which would give me the flexibiltiy, the enjoyment, not to mention the growth. I have received so much great training from PC. Much of this training can be used in my everyday life and my day job.

After hearing the stories of the other companies, I'm even more glad I chose PC, and this business was my choice. I signed up through the web site. I hadn't been to a show or hosted a show for 10 years. This has given me motivation to stay in touch w/my customers :) !

The last thing I want to say about PC is I love how they keep it so new and exciting. I always look forward to the new selling season, the monthly specials, the sales promotions, etc. It does not stay stagnant like many other jobs I have had. They continually make the growth we achieve fun and exciting. I also enjoy trying the new recipes, but I love to cook. As a busy Mom of three kids I didn't always take the time to try new recipes, now I do and it's for more then one reason!

Have I had some down times, yes! Sometimes the promotions they offer are out of my reach as a part-timer and that is hard (or I miss them by a day because of a host closing her show late) But then I have to remember "my goals" and just remember I will be at that level some day. When I do get some of the small awards I'm so happy (my husband makes fun of me and says, "Is that your major award?" like on the movie "A Christmas Story." So whenever I use one of the products I have earned I joke and say, "I'm using my major award." Or when people come over to our house and I use the product we tell them the story. It helps to remind me I have earned some things. This helps keep my motivation going.

I'm just hoping my story can help some others who might read this post if they are "on the fence." I know I love this business because I played a large lottery a few months back and said if I won I would quit my job, but then I said, "I would still do Pampered Chef!"

Best of luck to everyone in their business!

Rhonda B.
Consultant in Indiana

All of the direct sales companies have benefits and draw backs. Personally, I am with the company that I can speak about from my heart (PC) and that I feel is the most generous to it's consultants, hosts and customers.

People generally sign up for the company that pulls their heart strings or who's recruiter is convincing.

I have done Tupperware and Avon in the past - so long ago that I can't tell you the cost or benefits. I do know that Longaberger's kit is expensive and they have to pay a fee to re-up each year as well as a fee if they want to offer a credit card payment option to their guests. I have been a host for most of the other companies and have usually had a good experience (but I do honestly believe that PC is the most generous).

Recent bad experiences - I had a PL show with 3 bookings and the consultant never followed up so I didn't get the booking benefit. I had a SL show for a particular item and when I closed the show the consultant said that it was backordered and made me pick something else. I chose some pottery that I have never used because you have to soak it first for one thing.

In my opinion, we have chosen the best direct sales company but I am glad the other companies are out there. We all have our own niche and can reach the heart strings of all types of peoples and everyone's different needs.

kitchencop said:
to me the other day.

I was being shown a set of three (PL) tealight holders by an aquaintance, they were still in the box and when she was pulling them out (to try to get me to order some) she mentioned that 2 of them were broken and she never got to use them. I asked what kind of guarantee PL has against new products being broken and she looked at me like I was about to murder her! She said "Well, none, they are glass, PL would lose a lot of money if they just replaced things that were broken"!

That was enough for me...not to buy!

Not true- All she had to do was fill out a replacement order form. I had the glass hurricane in my seville break while going to a show and I got it replaced at no charge. PL backs their product 100%. They will replace any thing defective or damaged within 60 days. And if I have a unsatisfied customer outside that 60 days, I do something about myself.

I just helped out a friend by hosting a tastefully simple party. (she is having a pc party in march). Anyway, the host benefits for TS are terrible! 10% of sales = free product value and that is it! no specials, half-price items or anything! I even had to pay shipping on my order!

I've done a couple joint shows with Tastefully Simple. I agree their rewards aren't that great. The last one I did together was for my BIL's cousin. She had $700 in PC sales, so she got $140 free, 3 half priced items, and 25% off. She had $400 in Tastefully Simple sales and got $40 free and I think she got a special host only item for free or at a discount. It was a little ceramic leaf shaped dipping bowl. Probably not worth more than $10.

Once again.....proving that TPC is the shiznit!!!!!!!! :D

At Home America
6figurechef said:
What about AtHome America? Does anybody know any reps and how the company treats their reps?

Thanks in advance!

Combine our incredible training and fantastic affordable product line and you get one of the HIGHEST sale averages in the industry. That means you'll make more EACH TIME you leave your home!!

* Earn up to 30% in commission while enjoying the flexibility of choosing YOUR OWN hours!
* Our extraordinary HomeShow (that's what we call our home shows) sales average is among the highest in the industry. What does that mean for you?! Simple! You can EARN MORE with EACH HomeShow you do!!
* Want to give yourself a raise?! You can—ANYTIME—just by scheduling another HomeShow! The amount you earn is truly based on the time and effort YOU put into the business.

Hosting a HomeComing couldn't be easier. A HomeStyle Specialist is there to help you every step of the way! Just set the date, complete a guest list, and get ready for a great experience!

FREE HomeWares!
Hostesses earn up to 20% Hostess Credit based on the sales of HomeWares at their HomeShow!

50% off HomeWares of your choice!
Earn one for each booking, up to 3

A Special HomeWare for ONLY $9.99!

A Special Collection of HomeWare up to 70% OFF!

The Real Deals!
Hostesses may purchase one of The Real Deals valued at over $40.00 for only $8.99. Plus, any guests who order $75 in HomeWares can also receive one of these great HomeWares for ONLY $8.99!

Even More Benefits for Bookings
Your choice of a Hostess Booking Bonus" HomeWare, valued up to $59.99 for free with three bookings, $5.99 with two bookings and $10.99 with one booking. Indicated throughout the catalog by a

Enjoy rewards for both sales and bookings!
HomeShow Sales

$1000 +

$750 - $999

$500 - $749

$300 - $499

$150 - $299
Half-off HomeWares
for Sales

Half-off HomeWares
for Bookings

Hostess Credit
20%

15%

10%

10%

10%
Hostess SuperSales Bonus
YES

YES

YES

-

-
Hostess Special Collection
YES

YES

YES

YES

-
The Real Deal
YES

YES

YES

YES

YES

Its free to sign up. I just signed up there also because a lot of people where I work was asking if I sold this also.

Oh!
KirstenAnne said:
Not true- All she had to do was fill out a replacement order form. I had the glass hurricane in my seville break while going to a show and I got it replaced at no charge. PL backs their product 100%. They will replace any thing defective or damaged within 60 days. And if I have a unsatisfied customer outside that 60 days, I do something about myself.

Well then, unfortunately she was given the wrong impression (which then she gave to me) or the wrong info (again, she gave to me)! And that is just too bad, the whole experience was still enough for me to back off!

Thanks for clarifying though!!!

:)

AmyLee said:
I just helped out a friend by hosting a tastefully simple party. (she is having a pc party in march). Anyway, the host benefits for TS are terrible! 10% of sales = free product value and that is it! no specials, half-price items or anything! I even had to pay shipping on my order!
Yes, I'm not too impressed with them either. I'm hosting one for a friend at the end of the month who just started (I know-I asked her the same thing...WHY NOT PC? :( ) And you get other things, but you have to have a certain number of bookings to get them. Luckily our bookings aren't a requirement for anything. They truly are bonuses! And that's a bummer about the shipping! I didn't know I'll have to pay shipping.

I've heard bad things about Mk too!My girlfriend tried it for less than 6 months and didn't know how she got wrapped up in it! She said the meetings are amazing, so much so it got her pumped up and ready to start her biz that night so she signed. She complained about having to keep inventory and orders at minimum $$ levels and the home party thing wasn't her thing. I'm glad I didnt' let her talk me into trying it with her. Because I was considering it before PC!

I did however try the Avon thing before finding PC and hated it! Having to buy books every two weeks, having to package orders, deliver each week all to do it all over again the next week! The support was horrible and you felt alone unlike PC where you maybe in business with yourself but not by yourself! The meetings were horrible and Avon overall was just not a great company to work for! No recognition, rewards, free prouduct, trips, nothing! So glad I found PC and gave it a show! I love this company! And this amazing support site! :D

heat123 said:
My girlfriend tried it for less than 6 months and didn't know how she got wrapped up in it! She said the meetings are amazing, so much so it got her pumped up and ready to start her biz that night so she signed. She complained about having to keep inventory and orders at minimum $$ levels and the home party thing wasn't her thing. I'm glad I didnt' let her talk me into trying it with her. Because I was considering it before PC!

I did however try the Avon thing before finding PC and hated it! Having to buy books every two weeks, having to package orders, deliver each week all to do it all over again the next week! The support was horrible and you felt alone unlike PC where you maybe in business with yourself but not by yourself! The meetings were horrible and Avon overall was just not a great company to work for! No recognition, rewards, free prouduct, trips, nothing! So glad I found PC and gave it a show! I love this company! And this amazing support site! :D

Yes, PC is the best!!! I also tried Avon when I was 16. I had to sign up in my Mom's name because I wasn't 18. I made very little, and what I did make I turned around and used to buy more Avon for myself.

Yeah, the MK meetings are wonderful, BUT in my area they were EVERY SINGLE Monday night for like two hours, AND we had to pay for them!!!! Can you imagine paying to get into your meeting? They usually rented rooms at a Holiday Inn, so we had to pay our individual directors because they had to pay for the rooms (and then I'm sure turned around and wrote it off on their taxes). If you didn't show up to a meeting, then you would pretty much get ignored at the next one. Once a month they would have one big group meeting which is where they try to sucker a bunch of people into signing up. The head honcho MK director of that area would bring in copies of what she gets paid in a month (she of course has bazillions of people under her), and those poor girls would trip over themselves in a fenzied rush to get signed up. I myself got two recruits from those meetings one month. I had just signed up not too long before myself and hadn't clued in yet to what it was all about. Oh well. We learn from our mistakes! I just wish it hadn't cost me a fortune.

ArbonneI had an Arbonne lady at my last show. She kept raving about her products. One of the ladies piped up and said her niece was a Mary Kay lady. I told her I wish I had known, I was out of foundation and we proceeded to have a conversation. WELL - the Arbonne lady chimed in and said Mary Kay uses bat poop in their foundation and Arbonne doesn't. Arbonne is totally organic. I WAS SHOCKED. It is one thing to mention the differences in your companies, but to actually slam the competition. It turned me off of Arbonne all together.

I have had people tell me they love their cookware - but I NEVER slam their choice. I ask them what they like about it and then hand them a piece of ours to check out. I will tell them I don't very much PC cookware - yet - but am going to work on replacing what I have because of the lifetime warranty. That usually does the trick. I don't have to slam the competition.

Boomer Sooner
Shannon

Say What??:eek: Bat Poop!! That is crazy. Mary Kay is very animal friendly. No testing or anything like that. That is a funny story though.

Yeah, it's one thing for us to chat back and forth like this on a website just for PC, but to slam the competition in front of other people is not cool or professional.

I had one of the Taste of Home Entertaining people email me the other day about signing up with them. She got my name from here. I'm sure several of you have or will probably hear from her. She read what I wrote about Mary Kay and used it to her advantage. She was, of course, very careful about not saying anything bad about PC. I'm sure she knows that would tick us straight off. She had an attachment on the email showing what all was in the starter package. It did not appeal to me at all and I love the whole entertaining thing.

I have a past host who sells MK who has been after me for over a year. She has been with MK for 15 years and says if I ran a MK business like I run my PC biz I would be driving a pink cadillac (which is not the least appealing to me). She calls or emails me inviting me to Sat. Brunch meetings (her treat, of course). Her way, way upline even called me several months ago. I have to say, they will definetely not take no for an answer. I have nothing against MK but it is just not appealing to me...inventory (although they say it is not required), deliveries, etc. I love PC and that is where I'm staying.

No Pink for me!I think the cars are a big reason why the "little people" in Mary Kay don't get great things like we do in PC. The company spends so much on these cars for the higher ups, there is nothing left for them. Did you know they have 3 levels of cars? Back when I was into it and attending meetings, the first car was a red Grand Am, the second was a Pink Grand Prix and the 3rd was the Cadillac. I think they ended up switching the Grand Prix to a white Blazer with a special gold trim only available to MK consultants.

My director had a red Grand Am and she was pushing us hard because she wanted the Grand Prix. Every meeting she would say that we should look at her car as our trophy on wheels for all our hard work. You have no idea how many times I almost asked her if I could borrow "our" trophy for the weekend. :D

jenniferlynne said:
You have no idea how many times I almost asked her if I could borrow "our" trophy for the weekend. :D

You are too funny!!

MaryKay CompanyDid you know if you don't have certain sales they WILL take that CAR away from you? They won't do that with a trip we have earned with the PC.....

Wouldn't that be terrible you earn a car one month and then its taken away from you when you don't have enough in sales....
Plus the expensive inventory.. And trying to remember colors, skin tones, and etc.. YIKES.. How do you keep it straight?
My 2 cents...

Carol Kout
Lawler, Ia :cool:

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Brookeskitchen
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies
Views
Wildfire
  • Christine Hughes
  • Pampered Chef Support Group
Replies