• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Why Do so Few Have Pampered Chef Credit Card?

In summary, it seems that there are a lot of consultants who do not have the PC credit card. Some may not have qualified for it, while others may have chosen not to open a new credit account. The PC debit card can be used for PC transactions, but some consultants prefer to use their own debit or credit cards. Having multiple credit cards can potentially hurt one's credit report, but it can also improve one's FICO score if the credit is not being used. Ultimately, it is a personal decision whether or not to open a new credit account for PC transactions.
SusanPC
In reading this forum, it appears that there are a lot of consultants who do not have the PC credit card. I love the convenience and rewards of using a credit card; as a brand new consultant, I am a little frustrated that I am forced to apply for a new card, when (probably unfortunately!) I already have credit cards and no need for a new account.

Now I am wondering if so few seem to have the PC card because they were unable to qualify or because there are problems with the card itself, or, like my initial thought, they just didn't want to open a new credit account. I think I have good credit but I know that several posts have mentioned that the consultants were qualified -- it sounds tough to get!:eek:

Neither of the two consultants I have actually spoken to have this card, but I didn't want to ask their reason. Maybe I should just try to get by with the debit card . . .:confused:

You are not forced to open a credit card. I have never had the PC credit card & been doing this for 5 years. I use the debit card. The difference is the PC debit card can only be used for PC transactions. The credit card can be used anywhere.

I've also been doing this for 5 yrs w/o a PC credit card - I don't need one for my business. I can do all I need to do with my PC debit card, my bank debit card, and the one credit card that I do have. I had a business CC before PC, and have just continued to use that one for business travel, etc....

Credit cards run away from me.

Seriously, tho I try to limit them. And for every card you have open, in good standing or not, it can hurt your credit report. Theres nothing wrong with the card itself. And you dont need the card. The PC Debit card works just as well.

I have the one we can no longer use. It frustrates me to no end that they required us to switch, because I do NOT want another credit card. So now I'm just using the debit card. Yes, the convenience of the credit card is a plus, but I just don't want/need to open up another account, credit-wise.

Don't want one...
Don't need one...Terms of the card suck......it is just like one they are issuing for people to get at the place I'm employed. The company goes through a lot of work with no benefits. Only the CC company is gaining...

Mwalker said:
Credit cards run away from me.

Seriously, tho I try to limit them. And for every card you have open, in good standing or not, it can hurt your credit report. Theres nothing wrong with the card itself. And you dont need the card. The PC Debit card works just as well.
I don't have the credit card. I'm not as good as I should be with them, so I just don't want to deal with it at this time.

But open credit cards don't hurt your credit report - in fact they can help your FICO score. A big part of your FICO is debt used to available debt ratio. If you have a lot of credit, and don't use it, your FICO goes up! And then your limits go up and your ratio is even better (assuming you don't charge any more) and your FICO goes up and so on and so forth.

But that's assuming you don't carry a charge. If you carry a debt, even if it's in good standing, then, yes, it can really negatively affect your credit. Not only will your debt used to available debt ratio be poor, but your debt to income ratio will be poorer, also.

I don't have the PC credit card because I don't do credit. When you play with the snakes, you WILL get bit.People pay me for the products, I deposit the money, I place the order, I pay PC. There is no need for credit in this scenario.

KateD said:
I don't have the credit card. I'm not as good as I should be with them, so I just don't want to deal with it at this time.

But open credit cards don't hurt your credit report - in fact they can help your FICO score. A big part of your FICO is debt used to available debt ratio. If you have a lot of credit, and don't use it, your FICO goes up! And then your limits go up and your ratio is even better (assuming you don't charge any more) and your FICO goes up and so on and so forth.

But that's assuming you don't carry a charge. If you carry a debt, even if it's in good standing, then, yes, it can really negatively affect your credit. Not only will your debt used to available debt ratio be poor, but your debt to income ratio will be poorer, also.
Don't need a good FICO score if you don't borrow money. Not planning to borrow money any time soon. I really didn't want to sign up for another credit card. I figured I'd stay out of trouble if I stuck with the debit card, only.

Everything that you need to do, you can do with the debit card. Read the fine print on the credit card - it is not designed to be of help to you, it is designed to be of help to the credit card company, and no one else.Think of it as a stick of dynamite. By acquiring the card, you are holding the stick in your hands. The very first time you use it, you are lighting the fuse. It will go off when you least expect it to, and at the worst possible moment.

JAE said:
Don't need a good FICO score if you don't borrow money. Not planning to borrow money any time soon. I really didn't want to sign up for another credit card. I figured I'd stay out of trouble if I stuck with the debit card, only.
Oh, I agree with you. My philosophy was so much better said by DebbieJ. The line that open credit cards hurt your score was what I was addressing.

I am DEFINITELY not an advocate of getting credit cards just to raise your FICO. But, then, I'm not Dave Ramesey or Suze Orman or anyone worth listening to, so what I advocate really doesn't matter to you. :)

KateD said:
Oh, I agree with you. My philosophy was so much better said by DebbieJ. The line that open credit cards hurt your score was what I was addressing.

I am DEFINITELY not an advocate of getting credit cards just to raise your FICO. But, then, I'm not Dave Ramesey or Suze Orman or anyone worth listening to, so what I advocate really doesn't matter to you. :)
Of course what you advocate matters to us. We're all nosy and we all want everyone to share opinions because we all want to share our own opinions. Right? :)

I agree with KG's post!
I didn't order the old card, or the new one (the terms on that one really stinks) and I did not have any problems with my PC debit card. I always deposited people's checks etc...shortly after the show and all was well...

In fact, TPC doesn't even withdraw funds from your account until about 7 business days after your order is shipped. You have a few days of "float" to work with to get all the show monies deposited into your account.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
In fact, TPC doesn't even withdraw funds from your account until about 7 business days after your order is shipped. You have a few days of "float" to work with to get all the show monies deposited into your account.

Yes, and that always comes in handy for those just in cases where once in a while something could go wrong, or you added their total wrong. :) I think PC makes it very easy to work with just the PC Debit card. IMHO.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:

Somewhere I read four days, and I thought it was from the date the order was submitted, but I have read sooo much lately that I am probably not remembering correctly. Any delay in debiting would be helpful. I'll go look that one up right now!

I think it is about 4 business days, but 1 week actual time...that's usually what it ends up to be for me...

I got into too much trouble with the last PC credit card (and I'm still paying it off), so there is no way I'm getting another one! I only need the debit card for my business, so that's all I use. I don't need points b/c I don't NEED anything else - it's all just "wants" that I would buy with them, anyway.

I was in the mortgage business for 15 years and I know alot about creit and credit reports. It does not hurt your score to open a card, but if you have too many inquires it can affect the overall score. What really affects your score and brings it down is alot of open revolvong credit with high balances. You can pay all your bills on time, but lots of debt with maxed limits can lower your FICO score.

I'm also one of those that don't do credit. The debit card works great for submitting shows.

I just have to comment on the rewards also. They are a joke. It would take a long time for me to charge enough to get enough rewards to buy even a pizza!

I have the card, and I use it to pay for shows. Works out great for me, just this month I got a rebate of $58, that was applied to the account, so for me they just gave me free money! I pay it off every month.

I honestly think it was a little bold to come on here and assume that we don't use the PC CC because we all have bad credit.

That being said, I'm with the others. I'm trying to pay off my debit not aquire more. I don't need another CC. I make sure I have the proper funds at all time on my debit card and just do that. Haven't had an issue in 1 1/2 years.

Now there are others who use the card to collect the rewards points and pay it off every month. Too much of a hassle for me, I don't need another bill to worry about!

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Everything that you need to do, you can do with the debit card.

Read the fine print on the credit card - it is not designed to be of help to you, it is designed to be of help to the credit card company, and no one else.

Think of it as a stick of dynamite. By acquiring the card, you are holding the stick in your hands. The very first time you use it, you are lighting the fuse. It will go off when you least expect it to, and at the worst possible moment.

My thoughts exactly. This is why I did not even consider applying for the PC Credit card! My debit card works just fine for everything I need, and I dont have the "temptation" lurking to buy lots of stuff for myself on credit.... :p

ChefLoriG said:
I have the card, and I use it to pay for shows. Works out great for me, just this month I got a rebate of $58, that was applied to the account, so for me they just gave me free money! I pay it off every month.

This is what has me slightly intereste din getting it.
I am on of those people who uses a CC but pays the balance in full every month. I use my CC (not PC) because I get a % back so it's like earning free $. I am thinking of getting the PC card and using it ONLY for business purchases (one more way to help keep track of expenses...charging them to a separate card) and for shows...and then getting the rebate...

janetupnorth said:
I think it is about 4 business days, but 1 week actual time...that's usually what it ends up to be for me...

Mine is always 8 days - no matter when I send in the show. If I send a show on Monday, it's debited the next Tuesday...and so on. But I was told one time by someone in Finance that some of it depends on the bank you use.

I had the old PC credit card and I have the new one. The new one has a 2 1/2 percent lower interest rate than the old one did AND I get cash back. I just got a $60 credit on my bill last month and have another $20 in the account to be credited. I don't understand how it is percieved that the conditions of this card is so bad.:confused:

I use it only for payment of my shows and PC expenses and always pay the full amount every month (so the rate is a moot thing anyway). The advantage I see (besides getting extra money every once in a while) is that I don't have to worry that a customer's check hasn't cleared or that they checks are even in the bank before submitting a show - the checks have to be in my possession though.

BethCooks4U said:
I had the old PC credit card and I have the new one. The new one has a 2 1/2 percent lower interest rate than the old one did AND I get cash back. I just got a $60 credit on my bill last month and have another $20 in the account to be credited. I don't understand how it is percieved that the conditions of this card is so bad.:confused:

I use it only for payment of my shows and PC expenses and always pay the full amount every month (so the rate is a moot thing anyway). The advantage I see (besides getting extra money every once in a while) is that I don't have to worry that a customer's check hasn't cleared or that they checks are even in the bank before submitting a show - the checks have to be in my possession though.

Ditto.
I had the old credit card, got the new one, pay it off each month, and don't have to rush to the bank to deposit checks since the credit card bill is due later.
I use it only for PC things...post office, groceries, paperwork/supplies, etc.
I like handing it over to the cashier, and they see the PC pictures and logo on it...strikes a conversation sometimes.
We've always paid off credit cards every month. We only use our American Express(for SkyMiles) and my PC one(for PC related things).
I like having something in JUST my name...not my husband's too...isn't that GOOD for my credit??!! ...since I pay it off each month.

If you can't control your urge to spend money you don't have...don't get any credit card.

ok...that sounds rude...i didn't mean it rude.

ChefLoriG said:
Yep, So far so good for me too. As far as I'm concerened it's just a CC and I dont' care which one PC wants me to use. I use it mostly for PC related stuff or for my personal purchases (DH pays off my other CCs) and I pay it off every month. Plus, it's really convenient at conference.

Everyone has a reason for having or not having the CC. It's a personal decision. It works for me.

ChefNic said:
Ditto.
I had the old credit card, got the new one, pay it off each month, and don't have to rush to the bank to deposit checks since the credit card bill is due later.
I use it only for PC things...post office, groceries, paperwork/supplies, etc.
I like handing it over to the cashier, and they see the PC pictures and logo on it...strikes a conversation sometimes.
We've always paid off credit cards every month. We only use our American Express(for SkyMiles) and my PC one(for PC related things).
I like having something in JUST my name...not my husband's too...isn't that GOOD for my credit??!! ...since I pay it off each month.

If you can't control your urge to spend money you don't have...don't get any credit card.

ok...that sounds rude...i didn't mean it rude.
It is great for your credit. When your debit to available credit ratio is very small, it looks great on your credit.

I think the bad part is you have to have credit in order to have good credit! I won't get into details but we had to work with DH because he didn't have bad credit, just no credit because his car had been paid off years before, he lived in an apartment and never had a credit card. Why is that bad? Because apparently to the load industry it's worse to have no credit than it is to have bad credit. That doesn't make sense! :rolleyes:

wadesgirl said:
It is great for your credit. When your debit to available credit ratio is very small, it looks great on your credit.

I think the bad part is you have to have credit in order to have good credit! I won't get into details but we had to work with DH because he didn't have bad credit, just no credit because his car had been paid off years before, he lived in an apartment and never had a credit card. Why is that bad? Because apparently to the load industry it's worse to have no credit than it is to have bad credit. That doesn't make sense! :rolleyes:

This isn't really realted, but it's a cute story and it brought back a memory for me.

I used to work in a bank and I had the sweetest (and very deaf) 81 y/o customer who had dealt in cash all of his life. He was quite wealthy. He decided one day that he wanted a CC. Well, he got turned down for lack of credit (even though he has wads of cash in several banks). He came into the bank and wanted a $50,000 loan for 30 days so he could establish a credit history. It was really cute. He was trying to get a CC with an outside company and didn't realize that our bank had cc's (he thought you had to go through VISA or MC directly). He was so distraught over not getting his CC because he didn't have any credit - he didn't want to use it, he just wanted to have one 'in case of an emergency'....did I mention how adorable he was? My branch manager had one issued to him through our bank and he was very happy.

pamperedlinda said:
This isn't really realted, but it's a cute story and it brought back a memory for me.

I used to work in a bank and I had the sweetest (and very deaf) 81 y/o customer who had dealt in cash all of his life. He was quite wealthy. He decided one day that he wanted a CC. Well, he got turned down for lack of credit (even though he has wads of cash in several banks). He came into the bank and wanted a $50,000 loan for 30 days so he could establish a credit history. It was really cute. He was trying to get a CC with an outside company and didn't realize that our bank had cc's (he thought you had to go through VISA or MC directly). He was so distraught over not getting his CC because he didn't have any credit - he didn't want to use it, he just wanted to have one 'in case of an emergency'....did I mention how adorable he was? My branch manager had one issued to him through our bank and he was very happy.
Exactly my point. We did find a bank locally that did a secured CC. You put money into a savings account that would be your credit limit. They held onto your money for a year while you used the card to help build your credit. When the year was over and without any penalties (late payment, over draft, etc) they changed it to a unsecured CC and gave him his money back. What a screwed up system!

For those of you who have the PC card and use it. Has it generated any show leads or other business for you?

regarding PC debit cardI use the PC debit card but I have to disagree with the fact that they wait 7 days after delivery to take it out of your account! PC went to deby my account for a show that was still intransit! I hadn't made it to the bank and It cost me $20.00 I have learned my lesson always get checks deposited asap!

kim

legacypc46 said:
For those of you who have the PC card and use it. Has it generated any show leads or other business for you?
Yes. I got one show and one order so far :D And several inquiries.

I do NOT submit shows until all checks are deposited AND cleared. I am not taking any chances.

Kim1711 said:
I use the PC debit card but I have to disagree with the fact that they wait 7 days after delivery to take it out of your account! PC went to deby my account for a show that was still intransit! I hadn't made it to the bank and It cost me $20.00 I have learned my lesson always get checks deposited asap!

kim
shock.gif
Wow - that's very rare!

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
shock.gif
Wow - that's very rare!

Yes, I'm wondering if it was a show or an individual or personal order...that would make a difference.

I just got my CC, and I must admit, I was a little surprised to get such a high interest rate. My credit is not great, but I have been working very hard to improve it over the last few years, and I get much more reasonable rate offers from other CCs...Still, my plan is to pay it off every month, and only use it to give me more time to get to the bank after shows and earn rewards. So, it shouldn't matter - it just seems that their standards are pretty high.

jbachen said:
<snip> it just seems that their standards are pretty high.
This is my cynicism showing... I don't think their standards are high. I think the card company charges what they can get away with. They're in business to make money, not to help consumers.

chefann said:
This is my cynicism showing... I don't think their standards are high. I think the card company charges what they can get away with. They're in business to make money, not to help consumers.

Nah, that's not cynicism... that's reality (or maybe I am just cynical, too). But don't worry - I had a problem with CCs long ago, and I have learned my lesson! The higher interest rate just strengthens my resolve to pay this thing off IN FULL every month... and still collect the rewards to stick it back to them. So there!

Plus, I figure it will make it easier to keep my business expenses together also, and separate them from my household expenses, which is another reason I signed up for the CC.

wadesgirl said:
I honestly think it was a little bold to come on here and assume that we don't use the PC CC because we all have bad credit.

:confused: Was this directed at me?! I certainly didn't assume that people didn't have it because of bad credit!! Not sure how you got there. As I mentioned, there are several posts which mention not qualifying and it seems few that mention using it AND the neither of the two consultants I've spoken to have it. Since it is one of the few forms of payment allowed, I wondered why.

jbachen said:
I just got my CC, and I must admit, I was a little surprised to get such a high interest rate. My credit is not great, but I have been working very hard to improve it over the last few years, and I get much more reasonable rate offers from other CCs...

Still, my plan is to pay it off every month, and only use it to give me more time to get to the bank after shows and earn rewards. So, it shouldn't matter - it just seems that their standards are pretty high.
I didn't think it was that bad at 9.9% - my non-PC one is only 7.9% so if I had to carry a balance... but I've seen much higher rates out there. In fact the old PC CC was 12.9%.

There are different rates offered with the new card. Not everyone qualifies for 9.9%.

BethCooks4U said:

Isn't this a false sense of security? Either way, you are still out the money.

Also, there have been studies done that say that when you pay with a cc that you spend 12-18% more than you would if you used cash. It's a little more real to put out the cash than to swipe your card.

I'm just curious, for those of you that pay it off in full each month, do you have an emergency fund? Like, what would happen one month if your car died and needed repair. Would you have the cash to pay for the repairs and pay off your card that month?

ChefNic said:
I completely agree with this!

ChefLoriG said:

This is exactly why I have my card too. It has been great. I just have to have self-control and ONLY use it to submit shows and I don't get into any trouble. Since having it and paying it off everytime, they have already raised my limit and lowered my interest rate. It really doesn't matter since I pay it off every month anyway.

I have a few repeat hosts that don't always get me thier checks the day we close. I know it's a no-no, but the CC allows me to submit the show that day anyway and I get the check a day or two later.

sfdavis918 said:
I'm just curious, for those of you that pay it off in full each month, do you have an emergency fund? Like, what would happen one month if your car died and needed repair. Would you have the cash to pay for the repairs and pay off your card that month?
I think a lot of the people who use and pay off the card each month are using it specifically for PC shows, so there are no additional charges on it, other than maybe supply orders. I'm trying to develop that kind of discipline with my money, which is why I have stopped using the PC Visa at all. It's too easy then for me to say, "Well, it's samples. I'll just put them on the card." If I know it's being debited then I'll be more careful about overspending for supplies and samples.

sfdavis918 said:
Isn't this a false sense of security? Either way, you are still out the money.

Also, there have been studies done that say that when you pay with a cc that you spend 12-18% more than you would if you used cash. It's a little more real to put out the cash than to swipe your card.

If the check didn't clear I would have time to collect the payment from the guest or return the products at no charge to me so I feel it's very secure - and for me better than if I used the debit card - some checks take WEEKS to clear. I have never had anyone not pay me for a bounced check (well, once... but I had the product).

I am sure that the studies are correct but I do not use it for anything but things I need to for my business and keep track of what I got this month so I can cover it all. As far as an emergency fund - I keep my PC finances separate from the household finances and I pay particular things with the money I earn with PC (my car payment, all vacations, things like that). The household account would take care any emergencies.

It all goes back to the individual's way of handling their money. How I do it is very different from how someone else does. It doesn't make me right, or them right. It's what works for you.

chefann said:
I think a lot of the people who use and pay off the card each month are using it specifically for PC shows, so there are no additional charges on it, other than maybe supply orders. I'm trying to develop that kind of discipline with my money, which is why I have stopped using the PC Visa at all. It's too easy then for me to say, "Well, it's samples. I'll just put them on the card." If I know it's being debited then I'll be more careful about overspending for supplies and samples.

That's what I did with my OLD PC card. I am almost done paying that one off. I have been EXTREEMLY disciplined with the new one since. It's definately a temptation thing.

We have a separate card for personal use (emergencies, etc).

chefann said:
There are different rates offered with the new card. Not everyone qualifies for 9.9%.

I sure didn't. I got 20.99%. :blushing: But I get offers for 8.9 from other CC companies, so I thought my credit was improving...

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• dancedivine
  • Pampered Chef Finances
Replies
Views
Gina M
  • Intrepid_Chef
  • Pampered Chef Finances
Replies
Views
DebPC
  • karen_anne1