• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Overcoming Shyness: How to Talk to Strangers About Pampered Chef

In summary, this successful salesperson has been successful before, even without any help from online sales. They are looking to expand their business by networking with other consultants outside of their circle of friends. They suggest practicing on a friend before approaching strangers and carrying a stack of cards and catalogs.
emiscookin
Hey everyone~

As you can see in my signature, I have been VERY successful in sales even before my first 30 days are up!! (Thanks to online sales, where I didn't have to do anything, but send out emails ;)) I'm so happy! :D I do have 2 cooking shows booked for May, but I would like to get a couple more and keep on expanding my business outside my circle of friends.

I have always been a shy person, but I have GOT to get out of my shell and start talking to people!! What is wrong with me!? I ask that question because yesterday I had a very friendly conversation with the cashier at Fry's, and my Pampered Chef bag was sitting in the cart and everything, and I didn't even ask her about PC or hand her my business card!!! :( C'mon Emily, really!?!? Because I was too nervous...:confused:

And before that (I talked about this in another thread) I attended the Cookie Lee party I was invited to, brought my Pampered Chef bag, didn't say a word about it, hoped people would notice it and come to me but...I think maybe they didn't want to ask me about it in fear of offending the Cookie Lee Consultant. Also, when the show was over, I really had to get going because my husband surprised me by coming home early from his training and he was anxiously awaiting my return home. Of course, I was anxiously awaiting to be with him. ;) So...to make a long story short...I didn't even talk to anyone at that party about PC because I was too nervous and worried about offending the CL Consultant who is a friend.

Geez...

What advice do ya'll have about getting out of your shell and talking to strangers about Pampered Chef?

Thanks in advance. :)

I've been in the business 3+ years and still have problems with this! It's natural! Try to make yourself aware when you are in situations like this - an then force yourself to say something. Practice on a friend.

As far as the other direct sales party, I wouldn't say anything to anybody. You don't want to step on anyone else's toes. Now if they had said something to you, that would have been fine.

Take a deep breath, shake off the nerves, and be real! Pampered Chef is what you do... something you are passionate about! I would also suggest networking with other consultants outside of PC! I already swapped catalogs with the Tupperware lady who lives two doors down, gave her some of my busienss cards, etc. She suggested doing a joint show sometime and mentioned that she would love to invite me to booth events and such when she finds them. She has been in the business for some time and had lots of ideas and tips to share. Keep in mind, our products are totally different and may appeal to differnet people for different reasons! I wouldn't be afraid of offending another consultant (unless you are at another PC party!) because your products aren't competing. PLUS... you have a room full of people who obviously enjoy home shows!

ALWAYS carry a stack of cards and a few catalogs! You never know who you will run into or meet! The cashier on the other side of the counter is most likely thinking about how much she wants to get out of the minimum wage job anyway! When you are at the store, be sure to stick some of your cards on the community bulliten board! Some places only allow non-profit flyers on their boards... which I plan to COVER during the month of May with the Help Whip Cancer program! I am planning to keep one Fundraiser Show on the books at all times for that purpose alone!

I'm new to PC, but I have alway had business cards in three different places ALL the time for quick access... the pocket of my purse, for casual convinience... my wallet, to hand to a cashier or the person behind me in line after swiping my credit card... and in my car, for rapid refills and incase I see one of those community bulliten boards! (I keep a few flyers in my car too!) Having the cards visible in your wallet will give you the extra reminder and boost of confidence you need too!

I hope this helps! Good luck, and remember... YOU CAN TOTALLY DO THIS! PEOPLE LOVE OUR STUFF!!! Oh, also, when you hand someone your card, always ask for their information in return! Here is a great trick... I say "I would ove to talk to you more about this!" I then extend my card to them and as they take it, I say "Could I get your information as well?" If they don't pull out a business card, hand them one of yours and say, "Here you can just write your information on the back of my card!" This has a few different effects... first, they know you will be talking about PC... second, you won't have to try and remember where you scribbled down their information... third, for me it makes me remember if I talked to them about PC, or my other... wouldn't want to confuse the two leads!

Every person you talk to and every step you take outside your comfort zone will make the next one easier. I actually don't make a point of talking with people about PC at other DS shows unless the other person brings it up. I carry my PC tote because it's the purse I carry every day. I have catalogs, order forms, and specials flyers in my van and mini-catalogs in my purse in case I need them. Five years from now you'll be talking about how much you love PC because it helped you to become a confident, less-shy person.Oooh, at Director Express someone told me that they carry door prize slips in their purse. When they meet someone new they invite that person to fill out the form in order to be put in her monthly drawing for a PC product. I just put some in my purse. What a brilliant idea.

I have a really hard time with this too! When I do work up the nerve, I often start by saying "I have a challenge to speak to 3 people about my business today," and continue from there. It's true, because we are challenged by HO to do 3-2-1 Success, and also because you are challenging yourself.

Just be prepared for the "sorry, not interested." If you're expecting this, when it comes it doesn't hurt so much. Remember, you want to hear a lot of no's, because you'll eventually get to a 'yes,' and, when you get this, expecting the 'no,' it's so much sweeter!!

Definitely go with Rae's idea of bringing DPS with you. Exchange them for mini-cattys or for recipe cards (with your info on them, of course).

pamperedchef.em said:
Take a deep breath, shake off the nerves, and be real! Pampered Chef is what you do... something you are passionate about! I would also suggest networking with other consultants outside of PC! I already swapped catalogs with the Tupperware lady who lives two doors down, gave her some of my busienss cards, etc. She suggested doing a joint show sometime and mentioned that she would love to invite me to booth events and such when she finds them. She has been in the business for some time and had lots of ideas and tips to share. Keep in mind, our products are totally different and may appeal to differnet people for different reasons! I wouldn't be afraid of offending another consultant (unless you are at another PC party!) because your products aren't competing. PLUS... you have a room full of people who obviously enjoy home shows!

Pamperedchef.em your name is Emily too? Awesome! :D
Thanks for your advice! You are new at it just like me and you are so passionate and full of great ideas! I'm not saying I'm not passionate about it, but you know what I mean. ;) You are going to be an awesome consultant!

The thing I highlighted in Bold, I may be wrong, but I think my Director told me that we aren't supposed to do joint shows. :confused: Someone correct me if that's wrong.

Also she advised me to not do the whole "If you host a party for me, I will host a party for you thing." Because she said most of the time you will host a party for the other person and then when you try to contact them about hosting a party for you, they will ignore you and your calls. Also she said you want to make it look like to are loyal to one business, YOURS! You don't want people getting confused as to what home based business you are a part of. I hope that makes sense.

On a good note, because I wasn't going to let my nervousness bring me down ;), I went to my Weight Watchers meeting today carrying my PC tote. The lady sitting next to me pointed to my bag nearly gaping and said, "Do you sell Pampered Chef?!" I said, "Yes I do!" Then she said how much she and her husband love the products and want to get more. I told her I would give her my business card and talk with her more about it after the meeting. So I did. I got her information (on a door prize slip, like was mentioned before :)) and she expressed an interest in hosting a party!!! :D I was so happy, but I'm not gonna get my hopes up just yet. She hoped she would be able to round up enough of her friends to have a successful party. Wait until I tell her about online ordering!! ;) I left her with a catalog. I'll definitely get back in touch with her. I'm so happy! :chef:

See, she came to me about it and it was much easier. But yeah, I will take all of your advice and just believe in myself that I CAN DO IT!! I CAN bring up PC to someone because dangit...I LOVE OUR PRODUCTS!!!
Thanks everyone!

Congratulations on a great contact.We can do joint shows, but many (like me) choose not to do this. If someone has budgeted $40 for the evening would you rather they spent half on another company and half on PC? It divides loyalties for the host as well. There are others who have had wonderful success with these, but I choose not to.And, yes, I avoid the trading of shows, too.

raebates said:
Congratulations on a great contact.

We can do joint shows, but many (like me) choose not to do this. If someone has budgeted $40 for the evening would you rather they spent half on another company and half on PC? It divides loyalties for the host as well. There are others who have had wonderful success with these, but I choose not to.

Good point!

1. Why do I get nervous when I have to cook for a large group of people?

Feeling nervous when cooking for a large group of people is a common experience. This can be due to the pressure of wanting to impress others or fear of making a mistake. However, with proper preparation and practice, you can overcome this nervousness and enjoy cooking for a crowd.

2. How can I control my nerves when presenting a new recipe at a Pampered Chef party?

Presenting a new recipe at a Pampered Chef party can be nerve-wracking, especially if you are not used to public speaking. To control your nerves, try practicing the recipe beforehand and familiarizing yourself with the ingredients and steps. Taking deep breaths and visualizing a successful presentation can also help calm your nerves.

3. What can I do to calm my nerves while cooking for a high-stress event?

Cooking for a high-stress event, such as a holiday dinner or special occasion, can be overwhelming and nerve-wracking. To calm your nerves, make a detailed plan and timeline for the menu and set realistic expectations for yourself. Don't be afraid to ask for help from friends or family members and remember to take breaks and stay hydrated throughout the cooking process.

4. How can I overcome my nervousness when trying a new cooking technique?

Trying a new cooking technique can be intimidating and cause nervousness. The key is to start small and practice beforehand. You can also watch tutorials or take a cooking class to build your confidence. Remember to be patient with yourself and don't be afraid to make mistakes. Learning from them will help you improve and become more comfortable with the new technique.

5. Are there any tips for managing nerves when cooking for someone with dietary restrictions?

Cooking for someone with dietary restrictions can be stressful, especially if you are not familiar with their specific needs. The best way to manage nerves in this situation is to communicate with the person beforehand and ask for any food allergies or restrictions. Plan your menu accordingly and don't be afraid to ask for their input or suggestions. With proper preparation, you can confidently cook for someone with dietary restrictions without feeling nervous.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Admin Greg
Replies
Views
yellowolive5
Replies
Views
raebates
  • Intrepid_Chef
  • General Chat