• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Fresh Spices: Why Buy Whole & How to Best Enjoy Their Flavor!

ummmm...conference. Has anyone heard this before and can share what the long-term effects are of using jarred garlic?I have always used fresh garlic that I have pressed or chopped ( pre garlic press days). I attribute my families fantastic health to this great little gem. We are rarely sick. Garlic is also great to feed to pets as a natural pest repellent for them. Just my little tidbit.(I'm bumping an old post to ask a related question)I heard from a former consultant that the jarred garlic is really dangerous...a very common source of botulism because it gets cross-contaminated and when the oil in the jar spoils/turns rancid, it
pampered1224
Silver Member
When buying spices, buy whole! Nutmeg, alspice, fennel seed, mustard seed, cardimum,cloves even dried red peppers, anything that can be found as a whole spice is always better. They taste and smell so much better than preground. They will last almost forever too! I have a bottle of whole nutmeg that is, no lie, about 10 years old and still smells and tastes grate! OOPS that's great! We have the perfect tool to get the best flavor - the Deluxe Cheese Grater! Simply use the small holed barrel and run them through. It will work for black, pink, white and green pepper corns too but why not use the Salt and Pepper Mill for that. And for an extra umf! Any of the seed type spices, heat them in the saute pan, very low heat until they just "pop". This will release even more of their flavor in the form of their natural oils.

ThanksThanks for the info. Another great use for the deluxe cheese grater.

Shawnna

Garlic?I have always used fresh garlic, so at my show this weekend two of the women stated that they haven't ever used it before...one of them even said that she uses garlic powder.

I was a bit at a loss as far as a good comeback would be....can anyone give me a few phrases/reasons why fresh garlic is better?

thanks in advance,
maria

In one word the flavor! I used the powder for years. Real garlic tastes so good in dishes and it's good for you too.

Why Fresh GarlicSeveral months ago, PC had a special: spend $50, get free garlic press. Because my sales on garlic presses weren't all that impressive, I wanted to stress the benefits and the importance of fresh garlic to hopefully encourage guests to want the freebie that they might not have otherwise been impressed by. I talked alot about fresh garlic by repeating what my Director shared with me (see below). I also passed out the attached flyer. It has additional information about fresh garlic and kind of a fun poem too.

At my shows, I ask "how many of you buy the garlic powder or jars of garlic?" (usually a good number of people raise their hands). I tell them, "I must admit, I used to also until I learned a few facts. First, do you know where the flavor of garlic comes from?...from the oils and meat of the garlic. Now think about it...how much added flour water do you think they have to add to fill up that bottle? That's why you have to use so much more than you do when you use fresh garlic. Also, a bulb/pod of garlic costs around .16 to .20 cents a piece at the grocery store, therefore much cheaper than the jars of garlic that you purchase."

I also talk about how there's no salt added and much healthier for you. Then I discuss how we don't want our hands to smell garlic'y and how the press keeps us from getting it on our fingers, and so forth.

Attachments

• Garlic Fact Sheet.doc
    66.5 KB · Views: 848
Last edited:
I found an interesting article online called "Grow Plants from the Grocery". Basically, you can keep your supply of garlic (and other things like ginger) going from your initial purchase. You can't do THAT with powder!!! Here is the link:

http://frugalliving.about.com/cs/gardeningfrugally/a/031604.htm

Garlic is on page 1, ginger on page 2. I just bought some pots the other day, and when I get a chance am going to get some garlic and ginger to try.

Hope this helps someone.

Paula in TN

Thanks everyone for your help in response to my garlic question! Now I'm ready :D

maria

MSmith said:
Thanks everyone for your help in response to my garlic question! Now I'm ready :D

maria

Also, my director told us that that garlic in a jar with oil will turn to formaldihyde after the expiration date! :eek:

I have always used fresh garlic that I have pressed or chopped ( pre garlic press days). I attribute my families fantastic health to this great little gem. We are rarely sick. Garlic is also great to feed to pets as a natural pest repellent for them. Just my little tidbit.

(I'm bumping an old post to ask a related question)

I heard from a former consultant that the jarred garlic is really dangerous...a very common source of botulism because it gets cross-contaminated and when the oil in the jar spoils/turns rancid, it becomes formaldehyde. She also said that it has a very short shelf life...something ridiculously short, like 10 days. (I've looked on jars and can't find that info. Is it an urban legend?) I've googled this every way that I can think of and all that it's turned up is one snippet on somebody's blog that she heard it at a PC kitchen show. I have to admit that after hearing it, I quit using jarred garlic on the spot, but I don't want to pass it on if it's not true. Can anybody verify this? Or is it a myth?

What are the benefits of buying whole spices?

Buying whole spices ensures that you are getting the freshest and most flavorful spices available. Whole spices have a longer shelf life compared to pre-ground spices, which tend to lose their flavor and aroma more quickly. Additionally, buying whole spices allows you to grind them as needed, preserving their potency and allowing for more customization in your cooking.

How do I store whole spices to maintain their freshness?

To maintain the freshness of your whole spices, it is important to store them in a cool, dry, and dark place. This can be in an airtight container in a pantry or cupboard. Avoid storing spices near sources of heat, such as the stove or oven, as this can cause them to lose their flavor and potency.

What is the best way to grind whole spices?

The best way to grind whole spices is with a mortar and pestle or a spice grinder. These tools allow you to grind the spices to your desired consistency and release their full flavor. If using a mortar and pestle, start with smaller batches and use a gentle grinding motion. For a spice grinder, follow the manufacturer's instructions for best results.

Can I substitute whole spices for pre-ground spices in a recipe?

Yes, you can substitute whole spices for pre-ground spices in a recipe. However, keep in mind that whole spices will have a stronger and more potent flavor compared to pre-ground spices, so you may need to adjust the amount used in the recipe. Also, be sure to grind the whole spices before adding them to the dish to ensure even distribution of flavor.

How can I best enjoy the flavor of fresh spices?

The best way to enjoy the flavor of fresh spices is to use them in dishes that allow their flavors to shine. This can include marinades, rubs, and spice blends for grilling, as well as adding them to soups, stews, and curries. Experiment with different combinations of spices to find your favorite flavor profiles and add them to your dishes for a burst of fresh and vibrant flavor.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Admin Greg
Replies
Views
raebates
  • esavvymom
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
TheNewMrsRue