• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Delicious Whole Chicken in Oven: Easy Recipe for Busy Hosts

In summary, the host's husband thought the show would be shorter than it was because the microwave was "too tiny", and the pork loin
candiejayne
I was going to do the 30 minute chicken at an upcoming show, but my host just called and said her husband was out of his mind to pick that because she has a tiny microwave. I know I can do it in the oven, but how long, at what temp, and lid on or off?!?

Any help would be appreciated!

I have done whole chickens in my DCB - and depending on the size- I usually take about 1 hr to 1.5 (for a bigger bird). I want to say that's at a 350 F or 375. (Any Betty Crocker or Good Housekeeping type cookbook should have the info on roasting a chicken.) And I usually do it with the lid on- at least for most of the time. It will result in a very moist bird.That's just how I do it. Others my have different experience/technique. :D But maybe you can ask the host to tell you how tiny is "tiny". She may think it's small, but it may actually be large enough- you never know.

I went over and saw it, it's the smallest microwave I have ever seen... My toaster oven which can hold 6 slices of bread at once is about the same size or even a little bigger. They are really upset about it, but not for them, but because they want me to be able to demo it the way that was planned. They don't want me to do an oven chicken now... they still want me to micro it. Now they want me to bring MY microwave... LOL! ummmm.... yeah... I don't think so! I told them I would come up with something else, but I mailed the invites out saying we'd have a 30-minute chicken, so I'm kinda baffled as to what to do right now. LOL I may be taking my microwave! OY! This better be a HUGE show! If they weren't "friends" I wouldn't even be considering it. I work for her husband on a contract basis, I'm stuck in the feeling of being obligated to caterer to them. I shouldn't feel that way, and I know they aren't the kind of people that would want me to feel that way, but I do...

Last edited:
Well, live and learn, right? You'll know what to ask or be more specific on next time, that's for sure! (And the rest of us will learn from this too!) :D let us know how it turns out!

:) I will... this is going to be one of the most interesting showes I'll ever do, not sure if thats a good thing or bad thing LOL!

I thought I had read somewhere on here that if you put the oven at 450 degrees, it would only take half an hour. You might want to look into this on one or the threads.

Thanks, I did some searching before I started this thread, but I'll search some more tomorrow. I'm off to bed now! Good night!

Maybe you could make the chicken at your house just before you leave, keep it covered in the DCB (it's supposed to rest anyway), then make one of the suggested salads or sandwiches with the chicken?

I did my first 30 minute chicken show last Friday night. It was awesome, so relaxing and fun. The chicken is so easy. After I put the chicken in the microwave, I joked that this was probably the shortest cooking show they've ever been to. We also made the garlic bites, and I brought a couple of potatoes so that they could try the mandoline. The host's husband said that it was probably the moistest chicken he's ever eaten.

Good luck!

Kelly

I live in Virginia, but went to California for Easter, and a friend agreed to host a show while I was there. It was held at her church, and she wanted to do the Pork Loin Fajita. I asked her to measure the microwave at her church to make sure it was big enough for the DCB. She checked it out and wrote back (most of the communication was by e-mail and private message on Facebook) that is was a standard sized microwave. I arrived in SF the morning of the show, went to the church that evening as planned, got the pork loin prepped (I wanted it to be a quick show, as the show was being held during the time these ladies usually meet for Bible Study, and they're used to being out of there within an hour and a half), and went to put the DCB in the microwave. It was just thatmuch too small! Ok, we'll do it in the oven (they have a full kitchen), but now it's going to take way more than 10 minutes, and throw off the timing of the show.

The men's group came to the rescue. They have a larger microwave, and someone brought that over! Show still ran long though, as there were twice as many guests as expected!

Kelly!!! GREAT IDEA! I may do that!!!! I offered to prepare the chicken in my micro and bring it, but then she felt bad that I couldn't demo it. I'll definately do another recipe with the chicken in it and bring it prepared! woohoo! you are a life saver!

Sarah, how did the show turn out with so many extra people? I know you were out of town and not looking for bookings, but did you atleast do well with sales?

1. How long does it take to cook a whole chicken in the oven?

The cooking time for a whole chicken in the oven can vary depending on the weight of the chicken and the temperature of the oven. As a general rule, it takes about 20 minutes per pound of chicken at 375°F. So, a 4-pound chicken would take about 1 hour and 20 minutes to cook.

2. Do I need to truss the chicken before cooking it in the oven?

Trussing, or tying the chicken's legs and wings together, is not necessary but can help the chicken cook more evenly and maintain its shape. If you choose not to truss the chicken, make sure to tuck the wings under the chicken and tie the legs together with kitchen twine for a neater presentation.

3. Should I roast the chicken covered or uncovered?

It is recommended to roast the chicken uncovered for the majority of the cooking time. This allows the skin to crisp up and the juices to evaporate, resulting in a more flavorful and moist chicken. However, you can cover the chicken with foil for the last 15-20 minutes of cooking if the skin is already browned and you want to prevent it from getting too dark.

4. How do I know when the chicken is fully cooked?

The best way to determine if a whole chicken is fully cooked is by using a meat thermometer. Insert the thermometer into the thickest part of the chicken, making sure it does not touch any bones. The internal temperature should read 165°F for the chicken to be safe to eat. Alternatively, you can also check if the juices run clear when you pierce the chicken with a knife.

5. Can I stuff the chicken with vegetables for added flavor?

Yes, you can stuff the chicken with vegetables such as onions, garlic, herbs, and citrus fruits to add flavor. However, make sure to remove the stuffing before serving as it can be a breeding ground for bacteria if left inside the chicken for too long. You can also place the vegetables around the chicken in the roasting pan for added flavor without the potential food safety risk of stuffing.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Roadtripray
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
KindaichiShota
  • stefani2
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Koolotus
  • smealey