• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Help! Cooking 11 lb. Whole Brisket for First Time

In summary, the author is looking for a recipe for a brisket, but is having difficulty finding one that is suitable for a first time cook. There are many recipes available, but the author's favorite is the Pioneer Woman's recipe. The author recommends trimming the fat before cooking, and cooking the brisket in a fat-side-down position in an oven or grill.
nikked
Gold Member
HELP! I was planning to cook a brisket (whole) tomorrow for the first time, and figured I would just pull up a recipe from Food Network...

But, the only oven recipes I can find on the net involve a 3-5 lb. brisket (flat portion for those of you in the know), and not an 11 lb. WHOLE brisket like I have. Normally I would just adjust the recipe, but I'm afraid it will dry out because of the size.

Because I have no experience with brisket (other than eating it), I am completely at a loss.

I don't have the capability to do one on the grill. It has to be in the oven. I was planning on using my TPC roasting pan, with foil if necessary.

Anyone have a recipe that they're willing to share?

TIA!!!!

We cook tons of brisket every month...we have a barbecue business...but we cook them on the smoker for about 20 hours. My suggestion would be to use your rectangle baker...and the lid if you have one...and foil. The best way is to cook it at a low temp for a long period...slow cooking like on a smoker. Because of the smoker we don't put anything on ours before cooking...I have a fabulous secret bbq sauce recipe for after its done. But, since you are using the oven I would suggest a good rub...whatever you like...and some beef broth in the bottom of the baker...not a lot. The broth will help keep it from drying out. Other than that I have no clue. So, I guess you need to experiment with time and temp by watching it...which will be a pain. But, if its not tender it won't be good at all. Did you try Paula Deen or Rachel Rays websites?

Claude's Barbeque Brisket Marinade Sauce, 2 ounces per pound.
In the oven at 275 overnight. Be sure you cover with foil and have the pan sealed. OR in the crockpot on low overnight.

Here's the recipe I decided to go with...it has a two day sit time with a dry rub, so I'lll cook it on Thursday (not quite two days, but I'm cooking it for visiting company)...I'll post Thursday night or Friday and let you know how it was.

Recipes - Spiced Beef Brisket on The Food Channel

I really wanted to stay away from the whole bbq scene...gives me heartburn, big time!

But, I have to say, if I had seen the Pioneer recipe first, I probably would have gone with that...

Thanks for all your suggestions...and keep them coming for future reference...and all those who will come after me looking for good recipes!

Nicole, I'm sorry for not responding sooner. We had a cluster meeting tonight, so I just got home. I did e-mail you my recipe, but since it was originally for a Seder, the ingredients are calculated for 50 people!! You can adjust the proportions, though, and it's only a 3 hour cook time.

Not to worry, Sarah...it's my fault for waiting to the last minute...I just didn't realize that it would difficult to find what I was looking for...

Your recipe looks good, but not for my family...maybe for a pot luck though!

Thanks for getting back to me!

My husband makes awesome brisket he smokes it first (didn't always, because we didn't always have a smoker) We carry frozen brisket home to iowa every time we go and he cooks one for my family and 1 for his.
his secret ingredient throws it in my roasting pan and adds a 2 ltr of coke yes the whole thing he puts a rub on it and bakes it at 250 for 2 hours then adds the coke covers with foil and continues baking. It tenderizes but will not be sweet

Man, after reading this thread, I'm going to have to make a brisket this weekend!

If you trim the fat it will dry out easier...although you don't want a ton of fat on it...leave most of the fat on (helps keep it moist and tender) and place it fat side up...at least that is what we do with ours...and we sell more than I can count...lol

Put the whole brisket in our roasting pan.
If it is too large, fold thinner side under to fit in pan.
I put fat side towards the bottom.
Don't trim the fat off!!!
Pour 1 box of liquid beef stock over brisket.
If you can't find the box, use 3 cans of beef stock.
Sprinkle on some salt & pepper.
I sprinkle a little creole seasoning over top.
Slice 1 very large onion and place over top of brisket.
Cover with foil.
I place the foil across the width of the pan, so the handles don't get in the way.
Preheat oven 250 degrees.
Bake for at least 8 to 10 hours. Nearly an hour for each pound of meat.
You can trim the fat off while you're slicing the brisket.

I go to the local smokehouse cafe and buy a gallon of their bbq sauce that is so good and chop my brisket up and to make chopped bbq brisket sandwiches. Their sauce lasts a long time.

LOL - I find this whole thread interesting, because I don't even know what a brisket is....and neither did the butcher when I asked him.

I don't think cows in Michigan have briskets. :D

See - I know it's beef, but I have no idea where it comes from on the cow.

Becky D., I've heard that in some parts of the country is called tri-tip, or something like that...It's the chest part of the cow, I think...

nikked said:
Becky D., I've heard that in some parts of the country is called tri-tip, or something like that...It's the chest part of the cow, I think...

Thanks Nicole...I'll have to ask the butcher about that!

ChefBeckyD said:
LOL - I find this whole thread interesting, because I don't even know what a brisket is....and neither did the butcher when I asked him.

Brisket is the same cut of meat as a corned beef. The only difference is one is corned & the brisket is braised....HTH ;)

Ginger428 said:
Brisket is the same cut of meat as a corned beef. The only difference is one is corned & the brisket is braised....HTH ;)

Ahhhh, see - the only time of the year you see corned beef around here is in the Spring. (other than in the deli)

ChefBeckyD said:
Ahhhh, see - the only time of the year you see corned beef around here is in the Spring. (other than in the deli)

Glad I cleared that up!! ;)

Brisket is quite tasty by itself, load it up with a bunch of onions,garlic,salt,pepper,MBT beef broth, fill the pan with half way with water. Cover & cook in the oven for a few hours....comes out similar to pot roast!!! :D

ChefBeckyD said:

Brisket is the lower part of the neck. When you see a live cow, it is the part that you see move/shake when the cow turns her head.

Farmer wife/Cow calf producer

I always find it interesting how people cook the same food but in a totally different way. The brisket is the cheapo part of the cow, but once it is processed it is actually considered a more expensive cut. I always thought that part of the cow was just loose skin...lol...until we started our business and it has become a high volume seller for us.

1. How long should I cook an 11 lb. whole brisket for my first time?

The cooking time for an 11 lb. whole brisket will depend on the cooking method you choose. Generally, it takes about 1.5 to 2 hours per pound when cooking in an oven at 350°F. However, if you use a slow cooker, it can take 8-10 hours on low or 4-6 hours on high. It's important to use a meat thermometer to ensure that the internal temperature reaches at least 190°F for a tender brisket.

2. What is the best way to season an 11 lb. whole brisket?

There are many ways to season a brisket, but the most popular and traditional method is to use a dry rub made from a combination of salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and paprika. You can also add other herbs and spices such as cumin, chili powder, or brown sugar for added flavor. Make sure to rub the seasoning mixture all over the brisket, including the sides and bottom.

3. Should I trim the fat off the brisket before cooking it?

It is recommended to trim any excess fat off the brisket before cooking, as this can make the meat tough and chewy. However, you should leave a thin layer of fat on top of the brisket to help keep it moist during cooking. You can always trim more fat off after cooking, if desired.

4. Can I cook an 11 lb. whole brisket in a smoker?

Yes, you can definitely cook a brisket in a smoker for a delicious smoky flavor. The cooking time will vary depending on the type of smoker you have and the temperature you cook at. It's important to use a meat thermometer to ensure the brisket reaches an internal temperature of 190°F for tenderness.

5. How should I store any leftover brisket?

If you have any leftover brisket, make sure to store it in an airtight container or wrap it tightly in foil and refrigerate it within 2 hours of cooking. It can last in the fridge for 3-4 days. You can also freeze the brisket for longer storage, just make sure to wrap it well in freezer-safe packaging and use within 2-3 months.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• BethCooks4U
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
BethCooks4U
  • EmilyStraw
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
Replies