• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Whoa! Look What Cdn Ho Just Sent

In summary, The Pampered Chef has decided to withdraw three fall 2008 products due to quality issues. The Holiday Spreader has been shipped to Canada, but the Holiday Serving Plate and the Holiday Appetizer Plates are on stop sell. The Holiday Spreader has handles that are sealed with polyurethane, and exposure to the lead paint could result if the coating wears off. The Holiday Plates do not comply with California's Proposition 65 requirements, applicable in California, United States. The Holiday Plates will be on backorder until acceptable plates are in stock.
peichef
Here's an email I just received from Head Office. Guess I know why I didn't get my holiday plates....

PRODUCT WITHDRAWAL: HOLIDAY SPREADER (#2809)
PRODUCT UPDATE: HOLIDAY SERVING PLATE (#2807) AND
HOLIDAY APPETIZER PLATE (#2808)

August 21, 2008

Dear Consultant:

I have news to share with you regarding three fall 2008 products, the Holiday Spreader (#2809), the Holiday Serving Plate (#2807) and the Holiday Appetizer Plates (#2808).

We have decided to withdraw these products from distribution to address product quality issues. Only the Holiday Spreader has been shipped to Canada. Effective immediately, these products will be placed on “stop sell.” This means do not show or sell these products until further notice.

Holiday Spreader
As part of our commitment to quality, we require our suppliers to meet all applicable Canadian standards. We also require our suppliers to conduct testing prior to shipment to ensure we meet all standards. Our supplier provided us with certifications from independent testing facilities indicating that the Holiday Spreader manufactured in China met the Canadian lead limitations. However, as part of our quality assurance process, we also conducted additional independent testing on random samples which indicates that at least some of the products contain excess levels of lead, violating the Canadian lead standard.

Given these circumstances, please do not continue to use the product and we are voluntarily withdrawing this product. We will take the following steps:

1) If you received the Holiday Spreader (#2809) as part of the Director Benefit Kit, the June Sell-A-Thon or as part of a sample order, we will issue a UPS call tag so that the product can be returned to us free of charge. You will receive a separate email before the end of the month identifying the time frame in which you can expect UPS to pick up the products.

2) If you submitted a sample order for the spreaders that hasn’t shipped, your order will be on backorder. The backorders will be filled when we have acceptable product in stock.

It’s important for you to know that the handles of the Spreader are sealed with polyurethane. Exposure to the lead paint on the handle could result if the coating wears off. Lastly, please note that we have alerted Health Canada of this issue and are updating them of the status of the product withdrawal.

Holiday Plates
While the Holiday Serving Plate (#2807) and the Holiday Appetizer Plates (#2808) meet Canadian lead limitations as well as our quality standards, we recently determined that these products do not comply with California’s Proposition 65 requirements, applicable in California, United States. Although Proposition 65 does not prevent the sale or use of these products, it does require strong warnings to be placed on products sold to or used by California consumers that exceed certain low levels of lead and other listed chemicals.

While our supplier provided us with certifications from independent testing facilities indicating that the above products meet the California lead limitations, we conducted additional independent testing on random samples which indicates at least some of these products contain lead at levels that exceed California’s warning threshold for lead.

Although the California law would not apply to products sold or used in Canada, we want to ensure that all our products meet our quality guidelines for products sold in North America. As such, our products should comply with California’s requirements. We know that you and your customers have come to expect the highest quality standards from The Pampered Chef.

Given the situation with the holiday plates, we will take the following actions:

1) If you submitted a sample order for the plates, your order for these products will be on backorder. The backorders will be filled when we have acceptable plates in stock.

I know this is disappointing news, be assured we are doing everything we can to rectify it. We are working with our supplier to determine how long it will take to rebuild our stock with product that meet all applicable standards as well as our quality standards. We will provide you with an update on the status of these products the week of September 15.

As you know, we stand by the quality of our products. We are extremely disappointed with these situations and apologize for any inconvenience it may cause you.

If you have any questions, please contact the International Support Services at 1-800-342-CHEF or at [email protected]

WOW! I'm assuming this will affect the US as well. I was waiting until payday tomorrow to order samples, and was really wanting the plates and platter. YIKES!

I wonder if we will get that too. I hate the look and feel of all the holiday items. I do not like the decal on the plates as they are not embeded in the glass and the spreaders look like something a 4 year made in day care.
So I will not mind in the least if they pull them.

Interesting...I ordered the plates and platter because for the price I thought they'd be great to show for those who do like them...wondered why I got everything but and those were listed as B/O.

What I do not understand is, why are these things not fully tested before they are placed in the catalog. It seems to be someone is dropping the ball somewhere. I am glad they do this and do not continue to sell them, but I think it looks bad on the company when you have to say that something is on stop sell once again.

jrstephens said:
What I do not understand is, why are these things not fully tested before they are placed in the catalog. It seems to be someone is dropping the ball somewhere. I am glad they do this and do not continue to sell them, but I think it looks bad on the company when you have to say that something is on stop sell once again.

My guess is PC receives a sample. They hopefully test that, but maybe they trust whatever documentation the manufacturer provides re: testing & standards. I don't know.
Then, as the product ships to them in greater quantity, they do their own independent testing to confirm that the manufacturers are living up to their contract re: product safety standards.

This why I wish everything wasn't outsourced to China. I'd rather pay more for something made in Europe or North America.

On the above note, I also believe we should just tell each other to check our e-mails on these issues.HO will be correcting it immediately and we don't want this read a year from now when it IS corrected and people getting confused.On your note Jennifer...product turnaround time is very tough and tricky! It takes a long time to bring things to market and keep up with the trends. They do the best they can and can't always test until it comes to them. They receive just in time to ship. Often, we are the source and feedback for many of these things to HO. They are a reseller not a manufacturer - 2 different ball games.They stop and correct everything quickly - that is the best we can ask!

Personally, I don't know of product test labs in HO????Testing would have to be outsourced, which can get costly. Test results might not come in before shipment arrives, catalogs are printed and stuff gets to us. HO tries hard for us to have it BEFORE the customer so once in awhile information crosses paths.

I don't like the sound of this....I also don't like the fact that for the past 2 years (or more) given the problems with lead levels in products made in China that these items were not tested better - it's not like the standards changed. I just don't understand why ANY company would not do their own testing prior to mass production either. This is sad news.

And, as indicated in the email from HO, the testing samples they received and the certifications they received were ok. It was only after FURTHER testing on PC's own did they find the problems. It's not PC's problem the way I see it: unfortunately, they are strictly relying on someone else being honest and conducting extensive testing, which appears that they weren't so complete on.

I do agree that it's a pain when they "recall or stop sell" items, but it's just what happens and we all adjust. There are plenty of other industries that have this happen - and sometimes (as mentioned above) it's like a year later. I'm glad ours is BEFORE the season begins.

c00p said:
And, as indicated in the email from HO, the testing samples they received and the certifications they received were ok. It was only after FURTHER testing on PC's own did they find the problems. It's not PC's problem the way I see it: unfortunately, they are strictly relying on someone else being honest and conducting extensive testing, which appears that they weren't so complete on.

Exactly. It's nice to know PC is checking up on the manufacturers & not relying on their word that they will meet all US / Cdn standards.

I'm just happy they realized it before the selling season began. Can you imagine making those phone calls to customers who'd purchased these items.
"Hi. It's ........... from TPC. Just calling to let you know not to use your plates/ spreaders because they have unsafe levels of lead. Okay, bye."
Don't think we'd have much repeat business! People would be afraid to buy any of our products.
Thank goodness they caught this early.

You beat me to it! Was just gonna post. It's nice to see PC taking this initiative! Nice to see they're on top of these things!

peichef said:
Exactly. It's nice to know PC is checking up on the manufacturers & not relying on their word that they will meet all US / Cdn standards.

I'm just happy they realized it before the selling season began. Can you imagine making those phone calls to customers who'd purchased these items.
"Hi. It's ........... from TPC. Just calling to let you know not to use your plates/ spreaders because they have unsafe levels of lead. Okay, bye."
Don't think we'd have much repeat business! People would be afraid to buy any of our products.
Thank goodness they caught this early.

I agree. It's been proven over and over again that items from China often have unsafe levels of lead (even after the initial tests are fine...:rolleyes:...) I just think that there has to be a better way to monitor production. It's like they produce one batch for testing then do whatever they want for mass-production...and hope they don't get caught (I honestly don't think they care if they do get caught). Sorry ya'll, I don't mean to sound bitter and I'm glad that HO is on it - it just irks me!

Yes the US got this as well. The bad part for me- living in CA, now my holiday platter is delayed! That stinks as my open house is on Sept 6th and it doesn't look I'll have ANY holiday stuff (other than the cookbook). Oh well, good quality control is all I can say to my customers! :)

Here we go again!! :yuck:

I've had to do adjustments on 2 sets of the spreaders because of bad paint jobs... I hope I didn't get any lead on me while I was examining them. Not something I really want to worry about while being 5 months pregnant :yuck:

I just got the US email too.... :(

So what do you think- should I put the not available stickers on my catalogs for now or not?? I want to be able to give them out and also use them for shows prior to the Sept 15th email.

I emailed [email protected] to ask about the lead issues and being pregnant. I hope I get a reply from them.

jbdowd0798 said:
So what do you think- should I put the not available stickers on my catalogs for now or not?? I want to be able to give them out and also use them for shows prior to the Sept 15th email.

yeah - ive got a bunch of sept & oct shows already on the books. should we sticker the cattys or just make an announcement??
hmmmm...

just got the US email too. bummer.

I would only make an announcement if someone orders it.

I agree. I wouldn't call attention to it, but someone asks about them I would then say we are so committed to safety. We conduct our own tests on all products, and they didn't meet our standard. I would keep it in the direction PC always has the customer's safety & best interest at heart. Remember the email said the lead in the spreader could only be harmful if the polyurethane comes off. Just a minor set-back - we still have tons of great fall/holiday items to sell!

personally, I never put the stickers in the catalog b/c I want to use the catalogs after the stop sell is over.
as to whether or not to make an announcement or to wait until someone tries to order it, that's your call.

Well, I am so proud of PC for doing their own testing. (China is getting flakier by the day!! lol) I would rather find out now.. then in a year, that the holiday items are not up to par. Just think of the $$ PC will have to fork out to right this mess. They did say that they will send our backordered products (sample order) once they find new plates that meet the requirements. I am going to call them and suggest they let us have a say in the product choices. We have to sell the products.. we may be more behind new products if we have a hand in the decision making process. I have seen the uproar on this site about the new products. I learned in education that the masses are happier if they have a vested interest in voting for a new product. Well, fall kickoffs will need to be creative at least!! We can do it!! And we will do another product kickoff when the new product is in.. thus another instant party!! Can't wait!! Hey.. we get lemons.. we make lemonaide in the mix and stir pitcher!!!

the spreaders look like something a 4 year made in day care.

This cracked me up. I had similar thoughts when I saw the spreaders in the catalog, and when my sample order arrived, my opinion didn't change much....can't wait to see what the crafty kids did with the wine glass charms. Good grief.

Sorry to vent a little but PC really should check several of one item WAY WAY before the selling season. There are a ton of people at HO that can be testers for these products. I'm glad that PC won't sell products below there standards but still these items should have been tested again and again.

New items are discovered and products lines are put together so far in advance, there is no reason for this!!

OK I'm done now...

the stickers come off, or at least mine have in the past. Thats why PC sends them to us/we order them so we don't forget to tell people. I don't have a problem with it.

rennea said:
Sorry to vent a little but PC really should check several of one item WAY WAY before the selling season. There are a ton of people at HO that can be testers for these products. I'm glad that PC won't sell products below there standards but still these items should have been tested again and again.

New items are discovered and products lines are put together so far in advance, there is no reason for this!!

OK I'm done now...

Ditto! I'm REALLY getting sick and tired of stop sells every darn season; enough is enough already. I totally understand and appreciate that they ARE doing it before they get to our customers but darn it, do it before it gets to the catelog!!! This has been happening over and over again these past few seasons and I'm really getting frustrated.

Ok, I'm done now too

PC should be working on and testing the products for next fall already so their catalog and products are ready to go. One hopes this is what they are doing and hope they realize that it takes more time next time around. Get started on 2010 PC !!!!

...and have they tried placing the decal in between the sheets of glass regarding the plates? I'm willing to move to Markham lol

Maybe they should stop buying from China.

My hunch is that, like someone else said, they get a sample. It gets tested. The manufacturer agrees to meet certain standards. PC assumes they will. Production begins. I am willing to bet that PC doesn't begin receiving massive quantities of the new products until shortly before the selling season. Warehousing costs are too high for them to carry that much extra product.
Since they have to outsource the testing (which likely takes a while to do & receive results) there's another time issue.
Like I said before, I'd rather pay more $$ & know something was made in the US / Canada / Europe, rather than pay 40 bucks for an item that some 12 yr old made for 5 cents in working conditions that don't meet our standards, even if they are legal in their native country.
I feel pretty strongly anti-China for a number of reasons (dangerous products is the least of them) so I'm going to jump off my soapbox now & continue my Olympic boycott.

Not only do I have to put together 900 packets for a fundraiser but now Ihave to lable all of them with stop sell stickers Like I said and so have many of you I hate when tis happens

Oh Doreen that a bit of a bummer isn't. 900 packets? Sounds like a huge fundraiser, good luck :)

This just adds to my concerns about so many of our products coming from China now. My husband has said many times that we are cutting our noses despite our face. Take for instance our old vegetable peeler was danish stainless steel. The new one is from China and is not nearly as good. He asked why a customer would want to buy something that costs twice as much as a department store and not have the quality it used to. Yes, we have a great return policy but when you pay that much for a product you really don't except to have to return that quickly. Just my opinion. Like others I am a little wary about the # of problems that are occurring with the new products we are selling.

I'm not putting those stickers on any catalogs. I really doubt those beaded things are going to be big sellers.

Now, back when the Deep Covered Baker & Decorator Bottle Set were brand new, they both had a LOT of interest, and I put stickers in the catalogs.

:thumbup:Amen!!!!!!!!!

nascarcooker said:
Maybe they should stop buying from China.

Does anyone remember about 3-4 years ago the "Chilzanne to Go" that was in the catalog but we never got to sell it because it was on stop sell and never came back?

I heard about it this AM and just put stickers over it saying "this products is not available at this time." If I don't, I'll forget and order the damn thing.

On the note of quality, I have gotten a lot of returns lately. Today one of my hosts called me with her THIRD return from her show. First her dots plates were cracked, then the second set chipped and then her MIL's micro scraper snapped in half while scraping out mayonnaise. Seems like I'm hearing more of "my __________ broke" than "I love my ___________, I've had it for 10 years!"

It's definately frustrating; the HO email sounds like they're frustrated too. Hopefully it'll be resolved quickly.

1. Why are the Holiday Spreader, Holiday Serving Plate, and Holiday Appetizer Plates being withdrawn?

The products are being withdrawn due to product quality issues, specifically excess levels of lead in the Holiday Spreader and failure to comply with California's Proposition 65 standards in the Holiday Serving Plate and Holiday Appetizer Plates.

2. What is being done to address the issue with the Holiday Spreader?

The Holiday Spreader will no longer be sold or used and steps are being taken to retrieve any already distributed products. The supplier is also being worked with to ensure future products meet all applicable standards.

3. What should consultants do if they received the Holiday Spreader as part of their benefits kit or sample order?

Consultants should not use the product and will be provided with a UPS call tag to return the product free of charge.

4. Are the Holiday Serving Plate and Holiday Appetizer Plates still safe to use?

While they meet Canadian lead limitations and the company's quality standards, they do not comply with California's Proposition 65 requirements. As a precaution, the company is working to ensure all products meet California's standards and consultants should not use these products until further notice.

5. When can we expect an update on the status of these products?

An update will be provided the week of September 15th once the company has worked with the supplier to rebuild their stock with products that meet all applicable standards and the company's quality standards.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• chefruthie
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • thecougchef
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Chef.Wanda
  • Mr. Pampered Chef