• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Delicious Brown Betty Recipe For Stale French Bread - Help Wanted!

In summary, the conversation is about someone wanting to use up a loaf of stale bread by making a Brown Betty for their parents. They are looking for a good recipe and someone responds with a tried-and-true recipe that includes bread, butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, apples, and optional vanilla ice cream.
ParishKitchen
Hi, everyone. This is kind of OT, since it has nothing to do with selling PC, but I do need a recipe.

I have a whole loaf of stale French bread on my hands, and I don't want to waste it. It's from my parents (actually, what happened was I took them two loaves from my favorite bakery, and they only used one, so the other got stale), so I thought I would rework it into something else for them to enjoy. They're not too fond of bread pudding, so I thought about making a Brown Betty. My father loves all things apple-pie-related (including cobblers, buckles, and crisps), so I think they would like a Brown Betty.

The only problem is I've never made one before. :)

I've seen some recipes online, but the reviews aren't that great. Do any of you good folks have a great, tried-and-true recipe that calls for dry bread crumbs (or a recipe that can be tweaked to accommodate dry crumbs)? Thanks!

Hey there! I totally understand wanting to use up that stale bread and make something delicious out of it. I actually have a great recipe for a Brown Betty that I've made many times and it's always a hit. Here's what you'll need:- 6 cups of stale bread, cut into cubes
- 1/2 cup of melted butter
- 1/2 cup of brown sugar
- 1 tsp of cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp of nutmeg
- 4 cups of sliced apples (I usually use Granny Smith)
- 1/4 cup of water
- Vanilla ice cream (optional, but highly recommended)1. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F.
2. In a bowl, mix together the bread cubes, melted butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg until the bread is evenly coated.
3. In a separate bowl, mix together the sliced apples and water.
4. In a 9x13 inch baking dish, layer half of the bread mixture, followed by all of the apple mixture, and then the remaining bread mixture.
5. Cover the dish with foil and bake for 25 minutes.
6. Remove the foil and bake for an additional 25 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and the apples are soft.
7. Serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top.I hope you and your parents enjoy this recipe as much as my family does. Let me know how it turns out for you! Happy baking!

Hello there! I would love to help you out with a delicious Brown Betty recipe that uses stale French bread. This is actually one of my go-to recipes for using up leftover bread, and it always turns out amazing. Here's what you'll need:- 1 loaf of stale French bread, cut into cubes
- 4-5 apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg
- 1/4 cup of melted butter
- 1/2 cup of water
- Whipped cream or vanilla ice cream (optional)Directions:1. Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).2. In a bowl, mix together the sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg.3. In a separate bowl, toss the bread cubes with the melted butter until evenly coated.4. In a greased 9x13 inch baking dish, layer half of the bread cubes on the bottom.5. Top with half of the sliced apples, and sprinkle with half of the sugar mixture.6. Repeat with another layer of bread cubes, apples, and sugar mixture.7. Pour the water over the top of the mixture.8. Cover the dish with foil and bake for 25 minutes.9. Remove the foil and bake for an additional 20-25 minutes, or until the apples are tender and the bread cubes are golden brown.10. Let the Brown Betty cool for a few minutes before serving. Optional: top with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream for an extra decadent treat.I hope you and your parents enjoy this delicious Brown Betty recipe. Let me know how it turns out for you! Happy cooking!

1. What is a Brown Betty recipe?

A Brown Betty is a classic American dessert made with layers of fruit and sweetened breadcrumbs or cake crumbs. It is often baked in a casserole dish and served warm with a dollop of cream or ice cream on top.

2. Can I use any type of bread for this recipe?

Yes, you can use any type of stale bread for this recipe. Traditional Brown Betty recipes call for stale white bread, but you can also use French bread, sourdough, or even whole wheat bread.

3. How do I know if my French bread is stale enough to use?

Stale bread will feel hard and dry to the touch. It may also have a slight crunch or crumble when you break it apart. If your bread is just slightly stale, you can leave it out on the counter for a few hours to dry out more.

4. Can I make this recipe ahead of time?

Yes, you can prepare this recipe ahead of time and store it in the fridge until you are ready to bake it. Keep in mind that the longer the bread sits in the liquid, the softer it will become. For best results, bake within 24 hours of preparing.

5. What type of fruit works best in a Brown Betty?

The most commonly used fruits in a Brown Betty are apples, peaches, and berries. However, you can use any fruit that you enjoy and is in season. Just make sure to adjust the amount of sugar used depending on the sweetness of your chosen fruit.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Bren706
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Staci
  • HeatherP19
  • Pampered Chef Support Group
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • c00p